PDA

View Full Version : Dylan Gets His First Number 1 Since '76

Bill Pissott
09-06-2006, 05:48 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060906/music_nm/sales_dc

Howard Farmer
09-06-2006, 05:54 PM
That's cool. I'm a bit suprised. I haven't listened to much of his stuff for years. His recent comments about downloading music and the general sound quality of CDs were interesting. :)

Bill Pissott
09-06-2006, 07:12 PM
His recent comments about downloading music and the general sound quality of CDs were interesting. :)

Yeah, he had some interesting things to say about that :)

Darren Nemeth
09-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Looks like Dylan is getting a lot of exposure these days.

Maybe his radio show helped sales.

Good for Bob Dylan. Lets hope more people get into his music and discard the crap that is played to death on MTV these days.

Bill Pissott
09-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Lets hope more people get into his music and discard the crap that is played to death on MTV these days.

Do they still even play music on MTV anymore??

John M. Bernhard
09-06-2006, 11:39 PM
I think the new cd is great, musically it's very laid back compared to the last couple, but in recent years Bob has had to lay down the guitar and plays keyboards exclusively these days making for mellower shows. But as far as the words go, Dylan is still a master at the art of lyrics and a new Dylan record is big deal for me. And I guess for alot of others still too judging by the brisk week one sales.
My jaw did hit the floor Tuesday morning when the pre sale for the fall tour kicked off at 10 am though. Dylan is charging way too much for the fall tour, top tickets are 79.50 plus a 8.50 Ticketcornhole surcharge. And they are offering a thing call a Hot Seat Special or something which runs 150.00 to 180.oo depending on the venue and all you get besides the ticket is an undefined article of collector's merchandise to be mailed separately from the ticket. Who the hell is gonna bite at that? Bob is hitting Boston for 2 nights and I wanted to go both days but at roughly $90 a pop I had to cut it to just one ( although I might buy a 50 dollar seat on the general on sale Saturday for the second night ). Dylan really does not need the money, so why gouge your fans to the bone?

Bill Pissott
09-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Those are pretty steep prices. No offense to Bob, but I don't think I'll be going :)

Howard Farmer
09-07-2006, 01:40 AM
I paid $50 to see him at the Universal Amphitheater about 20 years ago. I was alone and didn't have a ticket but for some reason decided to go. I got in line and at the gate I just handed the dude a $50 instead of a ticket and he let me in without even looking up. I got into a few sold out shows using that method. ($100 per couple.) :)

John G.
09-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Way to go Bob! There's hope yet for music these days. :)

Lewis G.
09-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Real music cant always be ignored by the masses.

Gord Reller
09-07-2006, 03:30 PM
With all that money maybe he can finally afford singing lessons! :D

scott favareille
09-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Personally, I wouldn't pay $80 (or more here in the San Francisco area) to see anyone. I've seen my fair share of concerts over the years (Stones, Greatful Dead with Bob Dylan, The Who several times, Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney with & without Wings, CSN&Y, Dylan, John Fogarty twice, Eagles, etc), but now it seems as if everyone wants $150+ a ticket. That is ridiculous.

Aaron G
09-08-2006, 01:23 AM
I saw Dylan about 8 years ago, he was touring with Patti Smith. I had a seat about 8 rows from the front. When Dylan and his band came out it was like a psychadelic circus explosion in some fucken Jodorowsky movie. There were like branches of incence of the stage wafting all over the place. Dylans' band totally rocked. I wasn't on Drugs either, but his band, and Dylan himself are so freaky and weird and brilliant, you felt like you were.

William R.
09-08-2006, 01:39 AM
This record isn't really winning me over. "Love and Theft" blows it out of the water, but it could grow on me.

at the moment I'll take "Future Sex" over this.

Bill Pissott
09-08-2006, 09:28 AM
I saw Dylan about 8 years ago, he was touring with Patti Smith. I had a seat about 8 rows from the front. When Dylan and his band came out it was like a psychadelic circus explosion in some fucken Jodorowsky movie. There were like branches of incence of the stage wafting all over the place. Dylans' band totally rocked. I wasn't on Drugs either, but his band, and Dylan himself are so freaky and weird and brilliant, you felt like you were.

I love this description of the show :)