PDA

View Full Version : Fans of the Wu-Tang Clan

John G.
09-06-2006, 10:03 AM
So I love the debut, and the sprawling Forever to a lesser extent, and I've branched out somewhat by also getting GZA's Liquid Swords, ODB's debut, and the first Bobby Digital album, but I'm a bit reluctant about whether or not the following three albums are worth seeking out. So opinions please... what do you think of think of these three solo debuts, do they sound at all like 36 Chambers production wise and are they ultimately worth getting?

Method Man - Tical
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Ghostface Killah - Ironman

Josh S
09-06-2006, 11:24 AM
TICAL is my favorite of the Wu solo albums. It's the darkest of the lot.

OB4CL is considered classic by most people, but I don't like it much at all.

IRONMAN is great, but I like his second and fourth albums more. This isn't as slang-heavy as his later stuff.

I'd say they're all worth getting.

Bill Pissott
09-06-2006, 11:36 AM
John, I didn't know u listened to this stuff.

Josh S
09-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Gargo is a hip-hop soldier.

Bill Pissott
09-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Man, I'm bummed.

Scott Ruhl
09-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Method Man - Tical
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Ghostface Killah - Ironman

They are most definitely worth getting. I would also suggest that if you liked the first Bobby Digital to grab the follow-up "Digital Bullet." It's one of my favorite albums evar. I'd also suggest:

Killarmy ~ "Silent Weapons For Quiet Wars"
Masta Killa ~ "No Said Date"
Gza vs DJ Muggs ~ "Grandmasters"
La the Darkman ~ "Heist of the Century"

Matt A
09-06-2006, 12:01 PM
I dig Tical but never really got into Raekwon and Ghostface.

An album from this era that I really, really like is Gravediggaz' 6 Feet Deep. You can't go wrong with RZA and Prince Paul.

Scott Ruhl
09-06-2006, 12:02 PM
... this stuff.

Why do people go out of their way to harsh on hip-hop?
It's not for everyone, but then what is?

Scott Ruhl
09-06-2006, 12:04 PM
I'd also add Ghostface "Supreme Clientele" to the list but check out the 3 albums you asked about first.

Frank Estrada
09-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Man, I'm bummed.

If it makes him happy (which it obviously does) how does that bum you out?

I hope you're just kidding.

Bill Pissott
09-06-2006, 12:14 PM
I hope you're just kidding.

I am. It's a slow day at work.

Frank Estrada
09-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Ha, gotcha.

Josh S
09-06-2006, 12:15 PM
They are most definitely worth getting. I would also suggest that if you liked the first Bobby Digital to grab the follow-up "Digital Bullet." It's one of my favorite albums evar. I'd also suggest:

Killarmy ~ "Silent Weapons For Quiet Wars"
Masta Killa ~ "No Said Date"
Gza vs DJ Muggs ~ "Grandmasters"
La the Darkman ~ "Heist of the Century"

I just recently got NO SAID DATE, but I agree it's good. HEIST OF THE CENTURY, on the other hand, is in the same boat as OB4CL. I know I'm "crazy" and "white" and a "new jack" for not liking it, but whatever. I've still never heard any Killarmy. That changes tonight.

If we're throwing out Wu-related suggestions I'm going to suggest Kilah Priest's HEAVY MENTAL.

Bill Pissott
09-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Ha, gotcha.

I knew you'd figure it out :)

William R.
09-06-2006, 12:17 PM
All three of those are worth getting, in the order you listed them actually. After all the albums you posted in your OP (including GZA and RZAs), I lost my Wu interest and really only stayed listening to Inspectah Deck, ODB, and Ghostface. The rest of the bajillion other records I don't much care for, for one reason or another.

On a side note, I thought the title of this post was FANGS of Wu-Tang. I thought it was going to be a bout chop socky flicks. :D

Scott Ruhl
09-06-2006, 12:37 PM
I just recently got NO SAID DATE, but I agree it's good. HEIST OF THE CENTURY, on the other hand, is in the same boat as OB4CL. I know I'm "crazy" and "white" and a "new jack" for not liking it, but whatever. I've still never heard any Killarmy. That changes tonight.

If we're throwing out Wu-related suggestions I'm going to suggest Kilah Priest's HEAVY MENTAL.

Hey I'm crazy and white but I feel ya', OB4CL and Heist are definitely not as, howshouldIsay, metaphysical as the other Wu releases but I liken them to watching a cool gangster flick. I second HEAVY MENTAL and would also add Sunz of Man "The Last Shall Be the First."

If you check out Killarmy I hope you dig it, on most days I like them even more than the Wu themselves.

William R.
09-06-2006, 12:49 PM
It's good to see you full embracing your whiteness for Stuckey. With all this talk of hip hop and Eastbay catalogs I was beginning to think you'd lost your way. Go listen to Paul Barman and leave OB4CL to the real heads. Whitey can't handle it.

I dislike that Darkman album. The general consensus I though was that it was weak.

HEAVY MENTAL was good. Killarmy and Sunz of Man put me to sleep when I first heard them years upon years ago. I found them second rate and they did nothing for me. This was a long time ago, but I never felt the desire to revisit the records. Maybe in ten years when I'm not burned out on all things 'Tang. To be fair, I don't think I ever heard the Sunz of Man album itself. Just the prior street demos and shit on mix tapes.

Josh S
09-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Go listen to Paul Barman and leave OB4CL to the real heads. Whitey can't handle it.

"Had I made a mockery of their culture, like the Choco Taco? Was I to rap as France was to Morocco? Was I:rap::France:Morocco?" > any Rae line

I dislike that Darkman album. The general consensus I though was that it was weak.

I think it gained alot of its popularity once it went OOP. I never heard anybody talking about it until a couple years ago and then out of nowhere it's showing up on Best of Wu lists.

John G.
09-06-2006, 01:16 PM
John, I didn't know u listened to this stuff.
I listen to a lot of things Bill... a while back I made a country music thread and around that same time a Miles Davis thread.

Thanks to everyone for the responses thus far.

Bill Pissott
09-06-2006, 01:19 PM
I listen to a lot of things Bill... a while back I made a country music thread and around that same time a Miles Davis thread.

Thanks to everyone for the responses thus far.

I remember those threads. You're quite the versitile music fan John.

John G.
09-06-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm still a rocker at heart Bill... Roger Waters live on the 12th!!!

Bill Pissott
09-06-2006, 01:33 PM
I'm still a rocker at heart Bill... Roger Waters live on the 12th!!!

Fucken-A!!!!!

We'll look for the thread on the 13th :)

Scott Ruhl
09-06-2006, 01:57 PM
"Had I made a mockery of their culture, like the Choco Taco? Was I to rap as France was to Morocco? Was I:rap::France:Morocco?" > any Rae line

I think it gained alot of its popularity once it went OOP. I never heard anybody talking about it until a couple years ago and then out of nowhere it's showing up on Best of Wu lists.

Hey I like Barman and Rae!

I think any Best of Wu list that Darkman shows up on is prolly coming from a Wu-head. I ain't never heard nobody outside of Wu-fans talk about La the Darkman. I think he's got one of the best flows out there period, his problem however is in his limited subjest matter.

I think all the first solo albums by each general are very good. INS "Uncontrolled Substance" has alot of good tracks and some fine production by the Rebel himself. Even U-God's "Golden Arms Redemption" has a good number of tracks that would suprise most U-God haters.

Josh S
09-06-2006, 02:15 PM
I think any Best of Wu list that Darkman shows up on is prolly coming from a Wu-head. I ain't never heard nobody outside of Wu-fans talk about La the Darkman. I think he's got one of the best flows out there period, his problem however is in his limited subjest matter.

No Wu heads I know were talking about it until you couldn't find it. Besides, it seems like everybody is a Wu head these days, especially on the internet (which is where I tend to interact most with "hip-hop heads" as I generally can't stand them). I'm sure there are people out there who genuinely like the album, though.

And of course you like Barman. He's the man.

Matt A
09-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Didn't you say I looked like Barman, Josh?

Sonofa...

Josh S
09-06-2006, 03:08 PM
I did when I was brainstorming outloud trying to figure out who it was you reminded me of. I think it may be Rob Sonic, though.

Matt A
09-06-2006, 05:25 PM
To take this further away from the 3 albums you asked about :p , here are a few tracks from The Gravediggaz as well as a few from the Japanese Ghost Dog OST.

http://rapidshare.de/files/32200975/RZA.zip.html

William R.
09-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Gravediggaz were an okay novelty act. The shtick wore thin after Niggamortis.

Josh S
09-06-2006, 05:39 PM

That's an awesome album title.

William R.
09-06-2006, 05:42 PM
I think it was Six Feet Deep in the States.

Matt A
09-06-2006, 06:10 PM

I'm probably going to get un-invited to the DVDManiacs X-Mas hot tub party for saying this but, isn't Wu-Tang pretty much a novelty act? I mean Gravediggaz is essentially Wu-Tang with Horror instead of Chop Sockey, only slightly less thuggish.

Who am I to say though?

please don't roundhouse me

Josh S
09-06-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm probably going to get un-invited to the DVDManiacs X-Mas hot tub party for saying this but, isn't Wu-Tang pretty much a novelty act? I mean Gravediggaz is essentially Wu-Tang with Horror instead of Chop Sockey, only slightly less thuggish.

No and I haven't really listened to Gravediggaz but I'm gonna say no again.

Matt A
09-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Is that your way of roundhousing me?

Chad Haden
09-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Get "The Pretty Toney Album"

Josh S
09-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Is that your way of roundhousing me?

No, I'm just saying I don't agree. I just think if Wu guys changed their names it wouldn't seem like a novelty act. The production used alot samples from kung-fu flicks, but that's it. I thought Gravediggaz were rapping about shit like Necro and that ilk.

But, yeah, listen to Hadenistic. PRETTY TONEY ALBUM is the shit.

Matt A
09-06-2006, 07:14 PM
But, I want to be roundhoused. I'm feeling like a good boot to the head will make my headache go away.

Josh S
09-06-2006, 07:16 PM
If I was in Denver or where ever the hell it is you live I'd kick you in the junk. :)

Matt A
09-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Why is it that whenever I ask - NICELY - to be kicked or shot in the head everyone takes it as an opportunity to express a desire to see my nards mashed?

Why?

Hey! My manager just walked in on me watching some double-penetration action on EvilAngel.com! :o That's always good right before reviews. Yikes.

MichaelSheehan
09-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Nice to see all the Darkman discussion

Didn't realize "Heist of the Century" picked up such a following when it went OOP. Definitely in my top 3 Wu affiliated records--mainly for the production. Saw it for 60.00 on Ebay a year ago.Muggs also gave him a sick track on Soul Assassins #1.

I've also always been partial to Killah Priest's "View from Masada"--usually that's not the consensus

I know U-God's Golden Arms was also mentioned....he's no GZA/INS but a bunch of tracks surprised me (Pleasure or Pain, Stay in your Lane)

Chad Haden
09-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Why is it that whenever I ask - NICELY - to be kicked or shot in the head everyone takes it as an opportunity to express a desire to see my nards mashed?

Why?

Hey! My manager just walked in on me watching some double-penetration action on EvilAngel.com! :o That's always good right before reviews. Yikes.

Kicking people in the crotch is funny

Josh S
09-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Kicking people in the crotch is funny

Yes. People getting kicked and/or punched in the nuts and/or head is funny.

Chad Haden
09-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Yes. People getting kicked and/or punched in the nuts and/or head is funny.

Stuckey, I like the way you think!

William R.
09-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Who am I to say though?

Absolutely nobody. Welcome to the internet.

please don't roundhouse me[/QUOTE]

Only if you find 1-800-Suicide a solid song. I find it to be one otheir worst, so I guess that would warrent at least a spinning heel kick. Or a jalapeno popper to the grill.

Matt A
09-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Only if you find 1-800-Suicide a solid song. I find it to be one otheir worst, so I guess that would warrent at least a spinning heel kick. Or a jalapeno popper to the grill.

Here goes...I really like that song. "Confront an alligator, let it eat you raw" ? Those are some dope lyrics.

I suppose you dislike Dr. Octagon. :rolleyes:

William R.
09-08-2006, 04:37 PM
I suppose you dislike Dr. Octagon. :rolleyes:

Don't roll your fucking ass at me assmunch. I like Dr. Octagon, but Kool Keith's whole this is a fucking gimmick and he changes from album to album. I've also only got room for so much silliness.

Gravediggaz had an interesting horror-rap thing going for them, but the quality within was dwindling before the damn album was over. "Confront an alligatore - let it eat ya raw"? Dope line? Silly line fun a fun gimmick that doesn't have enough gas in it's tank to get out of Staten. Kids in the burbs who read Vault of Horror novels probably ate that shit up though. It was pretty much a full length Tale From the Crypt spoken word novel, or an episode of TALES FROM THE HOOD without that didn't know where to swim once it jumped in the fucking pool.

Matt A
09-08-2006, 04:40 PM
What happened to Mr. Dead? The zombie rapper?

John G.
09-08-2006, 05:20 PM
By the way, did anyone get that Wu-Tang Clan live album, Disciples of 36 Chambers?