PDA

View Full Version : New Iron Maiden Album Released Today... Did You Buy It?

John G.
09-05-2006, 06:13 PM
So the new Iron Maiden studio album, A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, was released today here in the States... Who bought it and what do you think of it?

Bård Haugland
09-05-2006, 06:17 PM
I was gonna buy it at a gas-station this weekend (it was released last monday in Norway, I think), but a friend bought the last one... But I've heard one song, and it's better than (insert random song from Dance of Death here). I'm gonna buy it, but the budget... is even tinier than last time I mentioned it.

Ian Jane
09-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Best Buy didn't have it when I went there at lunch. They also didn't have the Godzilla SE. Piss on them.

So I tried to buy it, but that didn't happen. I'll get it later this week.

Jason S
09-05-2006, 06:25 PM
No Godzilla or Iron Maiden?

Best Buy blows ass. How useless are they?

John G.
09-05-2006, 06:41 PM
I didn't visit Best Buy today but I saw a flier this past weekend that featured the album and said it came with a "tour patch." I got mine at FYE although it's worth noting that two Barnes and Nobles that I went to didn't have it either.

Steve P.
09-05-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing it. I thought their last two albums were very good, although a lot of fans seem kind of indifferent about them. They have a newer, mellower, mature sound, that's for sure.

Chad Haden
09-05-2006, 07:07 PM
I downloaded it and will probably pick it up when I go into town later

Clint C
09-05-2006, 08:23 PM
I picked up the limited edition with the bonus DVD today.

I've had the album for a couple of weeks now (via the interweb) and really, really love it. It's a very mature, progressive album for MAIDEN. They are my heroes.

Josh S
09-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Best Buy didn't have it when I went there at lunch. They also didn't have the Godzilla SE. Piss on them.

So I tried to buy it, but that didn't happen. I'll get it later this week.

Between this and their inability to supply you with THE TICK Season 1, Best Buy has been pretty shitty to you lately.

Steve P.
09-05-2006, 09:18 PM

I've had the album for a couple of weeks now (via the interweb) and really, really love it. It's a very mature, progressive album for MAIDEN. They are my heroes.

I'm kind of holding out for the double vinyl version myself!!

Jonny Redman
09-05-2006, 10:05 PM
I didn't/won't be be buying it. I'm not a 'poseur'. I just don't like Iron Maiden.

Scott Ruhl
09-05-2006, 10:42 PM

Imagine my suprise when i saw Gojira well stocked at the local Walmart! :eek: For 15 dollars no less.

I didn't even think to look for the new Maiden but I'm not much a fan of their newer stuff. I'll prolly give it a DL to see how it sounds first.

Best Buy pissed me off for not stocking HOUSE OF THE DAMNED, curse them.

Jesper Maintz
09-05-2006, 10:55 PM
My flatmate bought it and I heard it last thursday - it was essentially better than the last one, nut Nicko McBrain just doesnt "have" it anymore and kindda ruins it for me - Ill give it a seond chance though, because Ill go see them live in october.

Kristian R
09-05-2006, 11:23 PM
It is mine. And I forgot all about Godzilla when I was out. Frick.

Denise*G
09-06-2006, 04:03 AM

i'll quote Clint, cuz that's pretty much the same for me... except the "really, really love it" part. i like it, but i'm not gaga. i'm not into the lengthy intros, but it's a lot better than i expected... which is why i decided to support them by buying it. (and also spending $170 for three 9th row tickets)
Nicko's drumming is about the best i've heard out of him recently, but with that, it's less 'playful' i think.

Kristian R
09-06-2006, 10:19 AM
On the DVD they say they laid the tracks down so fast that Nicko didn't have time to mess around with the drum parts. And as a result for the first time there were no big arguements between him and Steve.

Ray Kanne
09-06-2006, 11:50 AM
I don't buy cd's. They are way overprised and I'm not paying ridicolous amounts for a 50 cent disc with two handfull of songs on it. I have the album though. Pretty good, a bit different, seems more mature. I have to listen to it some more before passing any more judgement though.

Denise*G
09-06-2006, 06:45 PM
I don't buy cd's. They are way overprised and I'm not paying ridicolous amounts for a 50 cent disc with two handfull of songs on it.

$9.99 for a 72+min CD w/DVD is not overpriced. i'd be the first person to bitch if it was :D

Denise*G
09-06-2006, 06:47 PM
On the DVD they say they laid the tracks down so fast that Nicko didn't have time to mess around with the drum parts. And as a result for the first time there were no big arguements between him and Steve.

i haven't watched that yet... but that's very interesting.
so basically, it's OK for Steve to add tons of fills, but not Nicko. ;)

Damian P
09-06-2006, 11:19 PM
$9.99 for a 72+min CD w/DVD is not overpriced. i'd be the first person to bitch if it was :D

I gotta second that.

I'll pick this release up later this week.

Kristian R
09-07-2006, 12:48 AM

Plus if you get it at Circuit City you get a tiny poster of the cover art, or at Best Buy you get a patch, or go to an indi store and get a black bandana thingy with the Eddie military logo on it.

Horace Cordier
09-07-2006, 02:23 AM
i haven't watched that yet... but that's very interesting.
so basically, it's OK for Steve to add tons of fills, but not Nicko. ;)

Well... Steve IS the boss I suppose... :D

I'm playing it now and I do like it so far, but man this is a serious ass-breaker of an album with only 1 song being under 5 minutes, and 2 over 9.

Hard to believe there was a time when "Hallowed Be Thy Name" was one of MAIDEN's "epics" in terms of length and each album usually had only 1 song that was over 8 minutes or so.

Still, this was seems to hang together pretty well though I agree about the intros being a bit much. The playing is more relaxed and the proggy influences are coming through nicely so far.

Denise*G
09-07-2006, 06:27 AM
Plus if you get it at Circuit City you get a tiny poster of the cover art, or at Best Buy you get a patch, or go to an indi store and get a black bandana thingy with the Eddie military logo on it.

yeah i got the patch from Best Buy. i gave it to my nephew for his denim jacket.

Ray Kanne
09-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Good point Denise. I have to admit to the fact that Maiden are one of those bands who actually give a damn and want to make their cds worthwhile with extras and DVDS. Where can you buy it at this pricetag? It's much more expensive over here.

Denise*G
09-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Good point Denise. I have to admit to the fact that Maiden are one of those bands who actually give a damn and want to make their cds worthwhile with extras and DVDS. Where can you buy it at this pricetag? It's much more expensive over here.

well, considering the 'cradle-to-the-grave' entitlements you Scandinavians get, it'd be cheap at $20 :D

seriously, though, i don't know where you could find it that cheap. i should have thought about your location before posting. :o

Ray Kanne
09-08-2006, 12:22 PM
well, considering the 'cradle-to-the-grave' entitlements you Scandinavians get, it'd be cheap at $20 :D

seriously, though, i don't know where you could find it that cheap. i should have thought about your location before posting. :o
You're forgetting that the 'cradle to the grave' entitlements makes us spoilt and therefore we scandinavians complain about any price no matter how cheap. We want everything for free you know. :D