PDA

View Full Version : Last week my neighbor was murdered.

Jeremy Wallace
09-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Last week there was a murder in my neighborhood. This was a huge surprise as we live in a middle class suburban neighborhood in a small town where nothing ever happens. Well...something happened and it happened directly behind my house.

My neighbor Amanda Cates (a police officer) was murdered by her live n boyfriend (also a police officer). It was crazy! My wife was terrified. The whole hood was shaken up a bit. Things have calmed down a little now, but the erieness still lingers. Here is a link to the story:

http://ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=102645

Chad Haden
09-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Oh wow Jeremy, that's horrible. You guys live in a pretty nice neighborhood too, just goes to show that bad shit happens everywhere :(

Jeremy Wallace
09-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Oh wow Jeremy, that's horrible. You guys live in a pretty nice neighborhood too, just goes to show that bad shit happens everywhere :(

Yeah, it was strange. It was a little too close to home for me.

Frank Estrada
09-05-2006, 09:33 AM
Do you still have the willies?

Jeremy Wallace
09-05-2006, 09:36 AM

Nah...not really. I can see the home when I look out my breakfast room doors and that is a littlle strange. The house looks so peaceful with a "Welcome" flag hanging outside the front door, the busshes still neatly pruned and flowers in full bloom. That part still gives me the willies a bit.

Jeremy Wallace
09-05-2006, 09:36 AM

Nah...not really. I can see the home when I look out my breakfast room doors and that is a littlle strange. The house looks so peaceful with a "Welcome" flag hanging outside the front door, the busshes still neatly pruned and flowers in full bloom. That part still gives me the willies a bit.

Frank Estrada
09-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Man, you're so freaked out you had to post that twice!

Jeremy Wallace
09-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Man, you're so freaked out you had to post that twice!

Todd J
09-05-2006, 12:29 PM
you have very non-intimidating looking cops there. She looks about 18 and he looks like he should be working at a fast food place.

I guess you should be thankful a stray bullet didn't fly through one of your windows.

William R.
09-05-2006, 12:44 PM
I've always been indifferent to murders and the like. Unless they happen to those I care for. It probably says a lot about my mental state, but it is what it is.

Where you friends with these people? Have bbq's and shit with them or where they just there. I'd be more worried if it was an unsolved slaying or gang related. It seems entirely internal which is a good thing as outside of the initial shock, life can get back to normal quickly. No place is really safe from twisted minds. I'm usually more leary about suburbia. :)

Jeremy Wallace
09-05-2006, 01:11 PM
We really did not know her thhat well. We saw her walking through the neighborhodd and we would say hello. But that is the extent of our relationship. I understand what you are saying about being more worried if it were uinsolved. And I am thankful there is not a killer on the loose in my hood.

Jason S
09-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Back in 2000 the guy one house over from me murdered his wife just after midnight on New Year's Eve. It was creepy, but I didnt know them.

William R.
09-05-2006, 01:25 PM
And I am thankful there is not a killer on the loose in my hood.

That's what I mean.

The only murder I remember bothering me in the slightest (no friend or family related) was when this lady near where my sister lived got up to answer her door one night a few years back and when she opened it got hit with a shotgun blast. It was drug related, but they got the wrong house. It was her son they wanted to kill and rob, but they went to his parents house instead. Not to send a message, just because they thought he lived there. I felt sorry for the family. I never liked their son, but she was a sweet lady.

Tim Young
09-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Pretty creepy, but it is not as bad as when you get a random murder near by, that is much worse. Some guy got randomly beaten to death down in my town a few weeks back, kind of makes you concerned to go out at night sometimes.