PDA

View Full Version : Am I The Only One Who Likes The Original Cars??

Bill Pissott
09-04-2006, 11:02 PM
I love this band to death. Nothing to complicated but great melodies and arrangements and lyrics to blow your mind. Plus the unheralded Elliot Easton on guitar and an underrated vocalist in Ben Orr, rest in peace.

I know Chris K. digs them and Tolch likes Easton. Anyone else like this band as much as I do?

Horace Cordier
09-04-2006, 11:10 PM
I love that band. I like a fair amount of new wave, but the CARS (along with TALKING HEADS) are one of my favorites. While I enjoy bands like BLONDIE or THE POLICE, its usually just songs here and there.

THE CARS first 2 albums (the debut and "Candy-O") are flawless albums with stellar guitar playing from Easton. That guy had serious chops - just listen to "Moving In Stereo". Most New Wave guitar playing does not blow me away, but this player sure did.

After the first 2, the albums got a little spottier, imo, but always had a few killer tracks.

I need to pick up some CARS cds!

Chad Haden
09-04-2006, 11:11 PM
I don't own any Cars cds but I do enjoy their songs whenever I hear them, maybe I should snag the Best Of

Damian P
09-04-2006, 11:12 PM
THE CARS have some totally killer songs. Count me as a fan.

When I was a kid I had the "Shake It Up" 7". I played that fucker like crazy.

Bill Pissott
09-04-2006, 11:21 PM
THE CARS first 2 albums (the debut and "Candy-O") are flawless albums with stellar guitar playing from Easton.

Right on the money! The first two albums are fucking killer. I don't mind some of the later stuff, songs like "Heartbeat City", "Since Your Gone" and "Hello Again" being personal favorites. Catchy, catchy, catchy tunes with excellent, but quick guitar licks. My favorite song is "All Mixed Up" from the debut album.

Ace, have you heard that "Since Your Gone" is about suicide? The dude in the song loses the love of his life and ends it all? I have had several people tell me that, based in part on the following lyrics:

Since you're gone
I missed the peak sensation
Since you're gone
I took the big vacation
Since you're gone
Well, never feel sedate
Since you're gone
Well, the moonlight ain't so great

"I took the big vacation" indicating that he took his own life.

BTW, for a sweet, quick guitar solo, check out Easton on "It's All I Can Do"

Bill Pissott
09-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Ace and Chad - If you guys don't mind waiting, I can hook you up with a ton of Cars stuff. I won't be able to do it until the weekend but if that's cool, let me know.

Don Guarisco
09-04-2006, 11:23 PM
This band is the rare favorite from childhood that I appreciate just as much as an adult. Their music is way more substantial than it gets credit for being and has aged gracefully. The first two albums are some of the best new wave albums ever recorded, just one great song after another. The third (PANORAMA) is the dark horse of their catalog, a surprisingly edgy affair that grows on you with repeated listens. SHAKE IT UP and HEARTBEAT CITY aren't quite on the same level as the first three, but each has a good selection of album tracks that hold up as well as the hits (Ocasek had a knack for writing atmospheric, slightly sinister ballads that made great album tracks - you can find them on all the aforementioned albums).

BTW, Horace - there's a great 2cd collection from Rhino (JUST WHAT I NEEDED) that will give you all the hits plus the killer album tracks, some great non-album b-sides and a few cool, guitar-heavy demos that show off Easton's chops to powerful effect.

Bill Pissott
09-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Ocasek had a knack for writing atmospheric, slightly sinister ballads that made great album tracks

Great point and kinda what I'm referring to in my earlier post regarding "Since Your Gone".

Bill Pissott
09-04-2006, 11:25 PM

Another catchy tune!

Frank Estrada
09-04-2006, 11:27 PM
I like them and I like Weezer too, who are basically The Cars with Big Muffs.

Horace Cordier
09-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Ace and Chad - If you guys don't mind waiting, I can hook you up with a ton of Cars stuff. I won't be able to do it until the weekend but if that's cool, let me know.

Bill: That would be great! I'll hook you up with something in return. I never heard that about "Since Your Gone" but it makes sense. I'll be paying more attention to the lyrics in the future.

Don: Thanks for the tip. I have a feeling that anthology will be on my list in the future for sure. I'm especially interested in those demos - a "rawer" CARS cannot be a bad thing.

Don Guarisco
09-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Great point and kinda what I'm referring to in my earlier post regarding "Since Your Gone".

There are ones that are even more sinister that didn't make single status like "Since You're Gone." For some reason, they were almost always tucked away on the 2nd side of a Cars album - "You Wear Those Eyes" (PANORAMA), "This Could Be Love" (SHAKE IT UP) and "Why Can't I Have You" (HEARTBEAT CITY). The latter one actually became a minor hit, even though it's forgotten today.

For the record, my favorite Cars song is "Panorama" - a grand epic that is rocker, ballad and experimental new-wave soundscape all at once.

Bill Pissott
09-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Bill: That would be great! I'll hook you up with something in return. I never heard that about "Since Your Gone" but it makes sense. I'll be paying more attention to the lyrics in the future.

No problem at all. I think what makes some folks lean towards that angle on "Since Your Gone" is Ocasek constantly throwing out the line "I've thrown it all away" as the song fades out.

Kristian R
09-04-2006, 11:56 PM
They get a thumbs up from me.

Bill Pissott
09-04-2006, 11:59 PM
There are ones that are even more sinister that didn't make single status like "Since You're Gone." For some reason, they were almost always tucked away on the 2nd side of a Cars album - "You Wear Those Eyes" (PANORAMA), "This Could Be Love" (SHAKE IT UP) and "Why Can't I Have You" (HEARTBEAT CITY). The latter one actually became a minor hit, even though it's forgotten today.

Definitely some hidden gems. I do like "You Wear Those Eyes". BTW Don, some nice Cars songs reviews at Allmusic :)

Don Guarisco
09-05-2006, 12:03 AM
Definitely some hidden gems. I do like "You Wear Those Eyes". BTW Don, some nice Cars songs reviews at Allmusic :)

Thanks - nice to hear somebody getting use out of those. They were fun to do.

mark t
09-05-2006, 06:47 AM
Easton rules EVERYTHING. when he was a Gretsch endorser, he was on my guitar forum, and a genuinely nice guy to chat with, despite being asked 300000000 times "How did you get that tone for "Just What I Needed"?.

Chad, i will recommend The Complete Greatest Hits, which is a remastered version of the earlier Greatest Hits comp, and has a few additional songs. How "Hello Again" didn't make it to the first one, i'll never know.

Steve P.
09-05-2006, 06:52 AM
What was the deal with The New Cars? Weren't they reformed by Todd Rundgren? Have they recorded new tracks? I love Todd's music, but that seemed like a really odd thing to do.

Bill Pissott
09-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks - nice to hear somebody getting use out of those. They were fun to do.

Absolutely. Allmusic is like a home away from home for me :)

Bill Pissott
09-05-2006, 08:17 AM
How "Hello Again" didn't make it to the first one, i'll never know.

Ain't that the truth!

Lewis G.
09-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Ain't that the truth!

Just realized I got the old best of... I'll have to upgrade. I like them enough so I wont mind. I like the cars ok but always tought they could have done much more with the talent they had but two great albums is better than a lot of people (or bands) will ever put out.

David Huber
09-05-2006, 01:45 PM
I like a few Cars songs, but I can't listen to most of the singles anymore because I've heard them too much, except maybe 'My Best Friend's Girlfriend' or whatever that songs called (I like songs with handclaps). Another one I really enjoyed was 'Drive', particularly the video with an overacting Paulina Porizkova. I also had a bootleg Cars concert that was tacked onto a Queen- AC/DC combo bootleg I bought once; kind of a weird triple feature! They were better live than I thought they would be. Don't know if I still ahve that disc, but this thread makes me want to rummage around for it...

mark t
09-05-2006, 02:25 PM
What was the deal with The New Cars? Weren't they reformed by Todd Rundgren? Have they recorded new tracks? I love Todd's music, but that seemed like a really odd thing to do.

The New Cars were formed by Elliot Easton and Greg Hawkes. They originally wanted Rik Ocasek to front the band again, but Rik wouldn't do it. They got Todd Rundgren in instead, and of course, everyone flipped out. Now, for me, I'll admit that i'm biased because I friggin' love Ocasek's voice. But Elliot had a good point...he says that he and Greg had a lot more to do with the sound of the original Cars than people give him credit for, and that they wanted to do it with or without Ocasek. I can give them credit because they're going out and doing new material as well...it's not like the Dead Kennedys' experience now where you've got a new singer, but no attempt to write anything.

Anyway, i'm not big on the New Cars mainly because i'm not a fan of Rundgren, but they seem to be doing alright.

Matt A
09-05-2006, 02:36 PM
"Candy-O", the song, is all kinds of amazing. I love, love, LOVE that song.

Love it.

Bill Pissott
09-05-2006, 03:47 PM
I can give them credit because they're going out and doing new material as well

I have to admit that I've pretty much ignored the new Cars. How does the new material rate?

Jonathan Douglas
09-05-2006, 04:38 PM
I was never a big Cars fan, I was more into the somewhat similar Utopia, but The Cars made some funny videos, and "Drive" is clearly one of the best songs of the 80s. On the new album, there's a version of it with bassist Kasim Sulton on vocals, but it doesn't reach the ankles of the original. I'm excited about the new group, mainly because of the two Utopia guys and Tubes drummer Prairie Prince, it's a killer line-up IMO.

Bill Pissott
09-05-2006, 08:27 PM
I didn't realize that Ocasek was the prominent songwriter for the band. Seems he penned basically everything while once in a blue moon getting an assist from Hawkes. So, who's the preferred singer? Ocasek or Orr?

mark t
09-05-2006, 08:37 PM
It's interesting, Bill, when you find out who was singing what...some of my favourites that i thought were ocasek, were actually sung by others.

Justin Frank
09-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Love'em.

Let's Go is one of my favorites - I've only got the Deluxe Edition of their 1st album (the demos are great), I need to get all of their stuff someday.

Bill Pissott
09-05-2006, 09:00 PM
It's interesting, Bill, when you find out who was singing what...some of my favourites that i thought were ocasek, were actually sung by others.

Early on, I wasn't sure who was who when it came to the lead vocals but over time, it became easier to distinguish between Ocasek and Orr. For the record, I love Ocasek's delivery but I like Orr's voice better. I'll take either one though, because I love the band that much.

Jennifer S.
09-05-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm a fan of the band as well,and must pick up their other albums(I only own the first two and the first GH release).

Mike Brown
09-06-2006, 10:41 AM
While I LOVE the first LP (I bought it on 8-track!), I have little use for any of the follow ups save for the rare tune here or there. To me, no other Cars album had the consistency or strength of the first LP.

Bill Pissott
09-06-2006, 10:47 AM
The Cars have pretty much said that their debut album is basically their greatest hits package. Still, I find Candy-O pretty much as good as the first with equally inspired writing and some great and unique Easton guitar work.

John P
09-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Did they ever release a live cd?
John

Bill Pissott
09-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Did they ever release a live cd?
John

Not that I know of but Allmusic lists two live video/DVD releases.

Isaac K.
09-08-2006, 12:37 AM
THE CARS have some totally killer songs. Count me as a fan.

I did as well. The B side was "Cruiser" wasn't it?

Been listening to Candy-O like mad in the Car of late. Funny how this thread should pop up now.

Bill Pissott
10-15-2009, 09:52 PM
While I tend to gravitate more towards the Orr lead vocals as far as favorite Cars songs go, I think my favorite is actually TOUCH AND GO. I like Ocasek's vocals on this one and the song has a weird brooding, yet up quality at the same time. Might be Easton's finest guitar work on any Cars song as well.

Adam A
10-16-2009, 02:35 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/laKCB9SVvL0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/laKCB9SVvL0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This has all the songs I love on it..
http://www.amazon.com/Just-What-I-Needed-Anthology/dp/B000003474/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1255674695&sr=1-1
It can be had for cheap too. They have market place sellers with 100% scores who are selling it for $10 w/ shipping.

KennethR
10-16-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm a big fan. It's weird that they get lumped in with a lot of "Classic Rock" bands as they were much weirder.

I love the episode of The Midnight Special they "hosted"