PDA

View Full Version : I Bought A VCR!!!

Bill Pissott
09-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Heh, heh. Probably never thought you'd here somebody saying that in this day and age :)

Why? Well, as I was helping to ready us for our yard sale this coming Saturday, I realized that I still had a huge collection of VHS tapes of stuff I have never watched. Stuff, for the most part, that I'm not gonna find on DVD I don't think. So, I had all this stuff but no VCR in my den to play them. So I picked up this 4-head, Hi-Fi stereo Sylvania VCR with self-cleaning heads for under $50 brand new. Small price to pay to watch things like:

An original network airing of "The Legend Of Lizzie Borden".
A boatload of off-air from TCM crime films like "Topkaki", "Road Block", "Step By Step", "Night Waitress", "Within The Law", "The Threat, "Destination Murder", "Bodyguard", "High Wall", "Force Of Evil", "White Heat" and so on.
Off air recordings of "Night Of The Living Dead" and "Torture Chamber Of Dr. Sadism"
Plus a buttload of great hockey fight tapes.
And, all 96 episodes of the great supernatural series "One Step Beyond"

So, now I can watch them in the comfort of my den for a very small price. VHS lives!!!!!!!!

......at least in my house :)

Christoffer S
09-04-2006, 06:42 PM
congratulations! I have two myself, plus a backup one in storage incase one of them breaks.

Ian Jane
09-04-2006, 06:45 PM
I've still got mine. I don't use it too often, but I'm not getting rid of it.

Fred Adelman
I still use my VCR all the time. I have a crapload of stuff that's not available on DVD yet. I recently went out to Best Buy and Circuit City to look for another VCR to keep as a spare (just in case) and found the pickings slim. I think I only saw 2 stand alone VCRs: A Sony for $90 and a Toshiba 6-Head for $99. All the rest were combo DVD/VCR players. I picked up the Toshiba (I already have 4 DVD player/recorders) because it didn't have the flag chip like the combo players did. That is something everyone should be aware of. All the players and recorders manufactured after a certain date must have the flag chip installed. It prohibits you from recording programs that are flagged with copyright protection. That includes over the air programs. It has already been discussed on another thread about a month ago.

Chad Haden
Congrats Bill! I keep thinking of picking one up myself.

mark t
09-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Working for the school board has it's advantages. I've got about 30 of them sitting in storage.

Bill Pissott
09-04-2006, 07:00 PM
What's funny guys is that it wasn't something that was even on my mind or that I even thought about. Starting cleaning around the house, saw all the tapes and the idea just popped in my head. There was a local store open today having a Labor Day sale so I took a chance and got lucky :)

Troy Howarth
09-04-2006, 07:20 PM
I still have one - not everything I have on tape has surfaced on DVD yet, so it still seems very necessary to me.

Aaron C
09-04-2006, 07:22 PM
I still have a VCR. I'll probably part with it the day it dies. Then, I'll buy another. I don't know that I will ever stop buying VHS.

Bill Pissott
09-04-2006, 07:25 PM
so it still seems very necessary to me.

For sure. We have VCR's in our bedroom and my Daughter's room but since I spend a lot of time in the den, particularly when the girls go to sleep, I felt it imperative to put one in there also.

Damian P
09-04-2006, 07:34 PM
An original network airing of "The Legend Of Lizzie Borden".

Worth getting just for that.

I still have 2 VCRs. I'm sure I have owned about 20 in my life.

Troy Howarth
09-04-2006, 07:46 PM
I'm sure Damian will agree that it's impossible for a Jess Franco fan *not* to own a VCR... not until the 100 or so titles MIA on DVD start to surface. :D

Aaron G
09-04-2006, 07:50 PM
I got one in the garage. I really need a geniune NTSC one as I can't transfer my NTSC videos to DVD.

Ray Kanne
09-04-2006, 07:54 PM
I've got a couple laying around. Cheap 6 head models. One of them plays NTSC as well as PAL. I don't use them much but those few times I do I makes it all worth it. I'm not going to part with them any time soon.

Bill Pissott
09-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Worth getting just for that.

I can't be 100% sure but I believe it also has the original commercials.

Damian P
09-04-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm sure Damian will agree that it's impossible for a Jess Franco fan *not* to own a VCR... not until the 100 or so titles MIA on DVD start to surface. :D

Howarth speaks the truth. No true fan can do without a VCR.

Damian P
09-04-2006, 10:34 PM
I can't be 100% sure but I believe it also has the original commercials.

Sometimes those are fun. I have an early 80's TV interview with Charles Manson. The commercials actually explained to the would be consumer what their product was. What an idea.

As for Lizzie, you could easily recoup your VCR purchase by selling copies of it....not that you would, I'm just saying is all.
The film has never been released on DVD...nor VHS if I am correct.

Bill Pissott
09-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Sometimes those are fun. I have an early 80's TV interview with Charles Manson. The commercials actually explained to the would be consumer what their product was. What an idea.

As for Lizzie, you could easily recoup your VCR purchase by selling copies of it....not that you would, I'm just saying is all.
The film has never been released on DVD...nor VHS if I am correct.

Yeah, the fun of watching some of those original broadcasts are the commercials running at the time as well as the promo's. I mostly make it a game to see what I can remember :)

As for Lizzie, it probably would be a desired item though I can't for the life of me figure out why it hasn't made the jump to DVD yet. Rights issues I suppose.

Damian P
09-04-2006, 10:51 PM
I see a Lizzie VHS recently sold on ebay for $52.00. I cant tell if it was a legit copy or not.

Item number: 220017770795

So many TV movies have yet to make it to DVD.

Horace Cordier
09-04-2006, 11:03 PM
I have one and definitely need it.

How else can I take advantage of ebay deals like Bill Lustig's HIT LIST for $1.00 on tape?

Vhs tapes can be had so cheap (and many of the titles are not out on dvd) that the machine is invaluable.

Bill Pissott
09-04-2006, 11:04 PM
I see a Lizzie VHS recently sold on ebay for $52.00. I cant tell if it was a legit copy or not.

Item number: 220017770795

Yikes! Sorta throws the wrong kind of temptation at ya when you hear that :)

Martin_T
09-05-2006, 08:47 AM
I still have a handful of VCR's hooked up around the house.

I have a few hundred VHS originals (some not out on DVD, and many others that I simply can not justify spending the money to upgrade even if they are out on DVD), and TON's of stuff that I have recorded off of TV and cable during the last 20 plus years. Sadly most of the stuff from TV is on tapes with no labels. :(

I sometimes check a few of them so that I can start the labeling process, but than I will find something that I want to watch, and then I am done labeling for the day.