PDA

View Full Version : Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter, Dies (MERGED)

Fred C. Dobbs
09-04-2006, 02:00 AM
This seems like a pretty horrible way to go (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20349892-952,00.html)

:(

Chad Haden
09-04-2006, 02:03 AM
That's horrible, I always enjoyed his show and even got a kick out of his film :(

RIP Steve

Fred Adelman
09-04-2006, 02:04 AM
Holy crap! I loved this guy. He was such a champion of animals. He was my hero. He was way too young to go. This is going to hit a lot of people hard.

William R.
09-04-2006, 02:15 AM
Oh no! A sting ray? I always knew they were evil. Pure evil.

I used to watch his show all the time. :(

Fred C. Dobbs
09-04-2006, 02:18 AM
It must have stung him in the right spot..you don't hear of many people dying from stingrays...of course in Kentucky I might be sheltered from all of that. Until the bastards come up The Ohio River!

Sad story though. What shit.

Chad Haden
09-04-2006, 02:21 AM
I fucking hate stingrays, evil little bastards. I hated them when I lived in Florida and now I hate them even more.

Lee O
09-04-2006, 02:30 AM
MSNBC is reporting that the bard struck into his heart. I've seen this man wrestle with Crocs, play with poisonous snakes and swim with sharks, but a pathetic little stingray finished him off.

Bill Pissott
09-04-2006, 02:44 AM
Wow. This is shocking. I enjoyed the show a lot. RIP :(

Anthony Thorne
09-04-2006, 02:56 AM
Irwin was stung by a stingray just a few hours ago while filming a doco and has died in hospital. As I type this his wife - apparently bushwalking in Tasmania - hasn't yet heard the news. Sad news for a guy that occasionally lived somewhat dangerously.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Croc-Hunter-Steve-Irwin-dead-in-accident/2006/09/04/1157222051588.html

Bill Pissott
09-04-2006, 03:00 AM
http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23857

Brett Evans
09-04-2006, 03:39 AM
This is indeed shocking news. I've only seen a few episodes of his show and what a character he was. Very sad indeed.

Jeff D.
09-04-2006, 03:50 AM
He actually got people to watch the DISCOVERY CHANNEL. I will definitely miss his antics

Richard C
09-04-2006, 05:20 AM
I suppose it was going to happen eventually given his up close and personal dealings with animals. Never saw one of his programmes (found him annoying) but I guess he would have preferred death by animal than by being run over or something.

Christoffer S
09-04-2006, 05:35 AM
Well the man was an idiot, so it serves him right. Playing aroudn with dangerous anymals the way he did!

Christoffer S
09-04-2006, 05:40 AM
To quote myself from the other thread: Serves him right, he was a fucking idiot. Playing aroudn with dangerous animals the way he did.

Aaron G
09-04-2006, 06:10 AM
Shocking that he got shocked. He played himself.

Tim Young
09-04-2006, 06:10 AM
To quote myself from the other thread: Serves him right, he was a fucking idiot. Playing aroudn with dangerous animals the way he did.

Sure he took risks, but that made him famous, and that gave him the power to actually make a difference - he lobbied the Australian Government for years and did a lot of really important work to save Australian wild-life.

Kudos to a brave/insane man!

Travis Sheldon
09-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Read about this on Yahoo news just minutes ago and am stunned.
At least he died doing what he loved.
RIP Steve

Adolph L.
09-04-2006, 08:33 AM
i never knew sting rays could be so dangerous. everytime i go fishing here in florida, all i cought were sting ray and catfish. R.I.P. steve irwin.

Richard C
09-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Lame but....

John G.
09-04-2006, 08:53 AM
That sucks. :(

Alex D
09-04-2006, 09:08 AM
People will remember him for the more outragous aspects of his TV work but he seemed like a nice guy and did a lot of good work besides what we saw in his shows. RIP

Mike T
09-04-2006, 09:13 AM
As one of the token Aussies here, I can't say I was enamoured of Steve's media persona or some of the crazy risks he took -- but at the end of the day that's who he was and his passion for what he believed in was what he was all about. You really only need to read the media statement from highly regarded British conservationist David Bellamy to appreciate how well he was regarded by his peers and how well he stood by his beliefs.

Funny thing is, my wife (who, as every knows, is Malaysian Chinese) knew his work and admired him far more than me. I saw some of his export shows while in Malaysia and managed to see a whole different side of him than what I knew here. Being that my wife is a staunch animal right advocate, as well as conservationist in her own way, I think this news will be terrible for her when it breaks in her home state (she loved his shows and loved what he stood for). After all the man faced it seems almost ironic that this is the way he bowed out. Sad, sad news indeed. RIP Steve. :(

Graham Smith
09-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Sad news, but hardly surprising. The man had courage.

Mike Howlett
09-04-2006, 10:09 AM
Of all the deaths of the past year (and I'm a huge Darren McGavin and Don Knotts fan...) this is the only one that has made me cry. He's done more for animals and animal (particularily reptile) awareness than anyone. My wife and I shared a cry this morning reading the news, then put in the COLLISION COURSE dvd to watch some of the behind the scenes animal handling extras.

At least he died doing what he loved. RIP, Steve. I learned a lot from you.

Mike Howlett
09-04-2006, 10:19 AM
I posted in the general discussion thread... I'm not going to get all misty again... my thoughts are there.

Bill Pissott
09-04-2006, 10:27 AM
The more I read on this the more it appears to be a flukey thing. As a rule, Stingray's rarely sting and if they do, it's non-fatal. It looks like it's where Irwin was struck more then anything. The bard went between his ribs and punctured his heart. Jeez! I'm pretty bummed about this.

Andrew Monroe
09-04-2006, 10:27 AM
I read your post in the other thread, Mike. Well said. I`m really shocked by this, he seemed to have the magic touch after so many close encounters. Really enjoyed his enthusiasm and genuine love for animals. His show was one of the few things my dad and I could watch and enjoy together.

David Huber
09-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Shocking. His enthusiasm was infectious, and my family enjoyed watching him. It weirded me out even more because my wife and I just went swimming with the stingrays in the Caribbean this June on our first vacation we've taken without our daughters along; now I'm feeling guilty about that when I hear about Steve Irwin's two young children (his are 3 and 8, mine are 4 and 8).

mark t
09-04-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm saddened by this....that guy was great. Some called him annoying, but whatever....how many of us can say that our job is an adventure everyday, and that we're doing something we're genuinely passionate about? RIP, Steve.

Eric A
09-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Very sad news, may he rest in peace. I do find it ironic that he was killed by a rather docile animal though (compared to what he usually dealt with).

mark t
09-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Of all the deaths of the past year (and I'm a huge Darren McGavin and Don Knotts fan...) this is the only one that has made me cry. He's done more for animals and animal (particularily reptile) awareness than anyone. My wife and I shared a cry this morning reading the news, then put in the COLLISION COURSE dvd to watch some of the behind the scenes animal handling extras.

At least he died doing what he loved. RIP, Steve. I learned a lot from you.

Damn, Mike.....that hurt. :(

Tim Mayer
09-04-2006, 12:16 PM
OK...no GRIZZLY MAN comparisons please.
Irwin probably knew it would happen some day and felt it justified if he took such chances.

Jeremy Wallace
09-04-2006, 12:19 PM
I am very saddened by the loss of Steve Irwin. It is rare that you see someone who has the kind of passion for something like he did for animals. He will be missed.

RIP

Tim Young
09-04-2006, 12:57 PM
OK...no GRIZZLY MAN comparisons please.

Nah that guy did nothing to actually help the wildlife he "loved". Irwin actually made a difference, and his risk taking got him the publicity he needed to make a change. He was, apparently, very much respected in the natural history community for making nature shows that could appeal to the young audiences and introduce them to wildlife and its preservation.

Jonathan Douglas
09-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Somehow I always thought, it's be one of these that would get him, certainly not a Stingray...

http://ekstrabladet.dk/multimedia/archive/00145/Krokodille_145040d.jpg

Mark C.
09-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Fuck I loved that guy, this is really sad news.

Zane C.
09-04-2006, 03:42 PM
This is sad news. I didn't particularly care for his show, but nonetheless, I'm sorry to hear he passed away. Like others have mentioned, he was passionate about his work, and enjoyed it very much. Many people aren't that lucky when it comes to doing something they love for a living. Condolences to his family. :(

Martin N
09-04-2006, 03:56 PM
''Crocs rule''

:(

Troy Howarth
09-04-2006, 04:58 PM
He died doing what he loved - no need to mock that, as it only sounds petty. RIP.

Shaun C
09-04-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm sure he knew the risks. Yet still sad news. Seemed like a really good guy. I heard he spent a lot of his money on stopping the rain forest in being chopped down..

Mike Howlett
09-04-2006, 06:45 PM
He died doing what he loved - .

Yes... and that's a comfort.

I spent the better part of a long drive home (from a beautiful animal rescue/ farm, by the way... fun animal adventure for us today!) thinking about Irwin and his work. Reptiles never had a better friend or advocate (except maybe... Me! heh). I miss the guy a lot already. Hopefully his children will carry on his legacy and keep the Zoo going strong, and carry on his teaching of love for all living things.

OK... I'm done. No more posting from me about this.

Jesper Maintz
09-05-2006, 05:18 AM
Very sad news indeed! :(

Jeremy Wallace
09-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Damn, you know something? The more I think about Steve Irwin's death the more depressed I get. I am truly and deeply saddened by this loss. I never would have thought that his death would depress me the way it has.

Bill Pissott
09-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Damn, you know something? The more I think about Steve Irwin's death the more depressed I get. I am truly and deeply saddened by this loss. I never would have thought that his death would depress me the way it has.

I know what you mean. We were talking about it last night and watching Animal Planet which was doing a kinda tribute to him and it really was depressing. I just kept shaking my head.

Jeremy Wallace
09-05-2006, 09:16 AM
I know what you mean. We were talking about it last night and watching Animal Planet which was doing a kinda tribute to him and it really was depressing. I just kept shaking my head.

I am still shaking my head. It feels as if I lost someone that I knew, that I was close to. It is weird.

Bill Pissott
09-05-2006, 09:19 AM
I am still shaking my head. It feels as if I lost someone that I knew, that I was close to. It is weird.

It is weird. I think a lot of it, at least for my family, has a lot to do with the fact that my Daughter loved his show and was a big fan of his so we used to watch it together all the time. She bought his DVD's and even a board game that came out. So, it hit close to home in a a manner of speaking.

Todd J
09-05-2006, 01:39 PM
I feel so bad for his kids. they'll never remember him. Maybe his daughter a little bit, but not much I would imagine.

I can't count how many times I watched him and said what an idiot he was, but I too feel bad about his death. He was a down to earth guy.

Jeremy Wallace
09-05-2006, 02:20 PM
I feel so bad for his kids. they'll never remember him. Maybe his daughter a little bit, but not much I would imagine.

I can't count how many times I watched him and said what an idiot he was, but I too feel bad about his death. He was a down to earth guy.

Steve has left a legacy on film (or tape) for his kids to see. They will realize how much passion he had and how much he loved them as he talked about them all the time. At least his children have that.

Jason S
09-05-2006, 03:13 PM
I liked watching the guy but also always thought he did some stupid things, even though they were cool to watch. He was the opposite of the Grizzly Man guy because the Croc Hunter used his fame for good.

Just read his death was caught on tape with him pulling out the barb. Thats pretty hardcore. At least he died doing what he loved, something I could only hope for.

Bill Pissott
09-05-2006, 09:57 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OKiXkQYatfA"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OKiXkQYatfA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Chad Haden
09-05-2006, 10:10 PM
Steve has left a legacy on film (or tape) for his kids to see. They will realize how much passion he had and how much he loved them as he talked about them all the time. At least his children have that.

My mom said the exact same thing yesterday

Mike Howlett
09-05-2006, 10:43 PM
That was cool, Bill... thanks!

Bill Pissott
09-05-2006, 11:40 PM
That was cool, Bill... thanks!

You're welcome Mike. Saw it and thought it was really nice.

Nick McBride
09-06-2006, 04:13 AM
Wow! I'm a bit staggered by the level of feeling for this guy. The "outpouring of emotion" in Australia is pretty amazing, the premier of Queensland is talking about a state funeral and people are taking buses to his zoo to drop off flowers and that kind of thing.

I think it is sad that he died because he had a family and he was only 44, but otherwise the grief feels like a bit over the top if you ask me. Reminds me of when Lady Di died, the whole thing became a big media event almost like a group hysteria.

Bill Pissott
09-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Nothing over the top about it. The guy was well liked and respected and he did a lot of great work. People are allowed to show emotion however they feel like. Nobody can judge what kind of emotion another human being has on people, great or small. Like him or not, the man was his countries greatest ambassador and he was even more popular here then in his own country, especially with the kids. Someone stated that for kids, his death can be equated to the deaths of JFK and Diana and the effect they had on adults. Hard to find a conservationist who did as much or was as committed as much as Irwin was. Hysteria? Ridiculous.

Anyway, looks like there will be no state funeral. His father issued a statement that Irwin considered himself a regular bloke who wouldn't want a state funeral.