PDA

View Full Version : How to make CEVICHE, the national dish of Peru!

Frank Estrada
09-03-2006, 01:21 PM
I promised you all a cooking lesson last week. Well, I'm a little late with it, but here it is. I'm gonna tell y'all how to make ceviche, the national dish of Peru. This is a great dish to make during the hot weather months, because it's a cool dish like salad. It can be an appetizer, or the main course.

Ceviche is interesting because, like sushi, you don't cook the fish. At least not in the traditional sense. You soak the fish in lime juice, and the acids in the juice create a chemical reaction that cooks the fish. When I first heard that, I knew I had to try it. I've made it about five times, and each time it was really good.

Like my beloved mother, I do not use recipes. We think they're for pussies. So just go to the store and grab:

a pound of snapper

an onion

a fistfull of cilantro

some Sriracha hot "sass"

a pepper (I usually use habeneros and/or jalepenos, but for today's ceviche i used a red pepper because I'm bringing this to a party and I don't want anyone to die)

either a bunch of limes, or even that concentrated lime juice works in a pinch

Cut the fish up into thin slivers or small chunks. Put it in a shallow pan or a big bowl. Cut up the rest of the ingredients really fine (or not, depending on how you like it) and put them in the bowl or pan. Pour in the lime juice until everything is submerged in lime juice. Splash some Sriracha in there for color. Stir the whole thing up, and cover it with plastic wrap. You should already begin to see the fish turn white. That means it's "cooking"!

They say to let it sit for 4 hours. Some people eat it "fresher" than that. I don't, I let it soak a bit longer to make sure it cooks, and to let the flavors blend. I made it at 8, and the party is at 5, so that should be plenty of time. If you make it at night, it will be done by the time you wake up. But it is possible to "overcook" it, so don't soak it for too long, or else the fish gets too tough.

If everything went right, it should look something like this:

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5341/im003036kc7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Serve it on tostada shells. Peruvians eat it with popcorn sometimes! But if I were you, I'd just warm up some tostada shells and put it on 'em.

Try it with some ice cold beer. Deeeee-lish!!!

Jesper Maintz
09-03-2006, 02:13 PM
I could go for that right now - it looks like puke, but it might taste better than it looks...

And I would like it with popcorn! :D

Frank Estrada
09-03-2006, 02:22 PM
It looks a lot better when it's on the tostada shell or dolled up in a glass like this.

http://www.melbournetomato.com.au/Recipe%20Pages/pics/ceviche.jpg

Oh man, is it good though.

Tim Mayer
09-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Where did you learn to make this Frank?

David Huber
09-03-2006, 04:51 PM
I love ceviche. It's really good if you throw some shrimp or scallops in there along with the fish.

William R.
09-03-2006, 05:59 PM
I like the dish, it just depends on how it's made. There are a bajillion ways to do it as it's popular all throughout Latin America and each region, even inside the same country, serves it differently. Usually the change is only slight, other times extremely different. I think the best I've had was made with mahimahi or the hybrid sashimi ceviche. Which the Japanese immigrants integrated into their menus. Certain peppers compliment certain fish, but my mom uses aji amarillo (peruvian) alot, but I have seen her bust out the pimenta de neyde or the starfish (that's a ballsy pepper)

I've only seen it served in cocktail glasses twice. Once in Panama and once somewhere in Mexico, but they also used shrimp so it kind of made sense to me. It looked cool, but odd at first. Scallops, oysters, and I think just about anything edible from the sea can be made into a ceviche dish. :D

I don't believe never had it with snapper, so I'll run off and give it a shot sometime this week.

Frank Estrada
09-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Where did you learn to make this Frank?

I heard about it somewhere, and a dude from Peru on another website told me how to make it. They even drink the juice. I forget what they call it.

Frank Estrada
09-03-2006, 06:04 PM
I don't believe never had it with snapper, so I'll run off and give it a shot sometime this week.

I've tried a few different kinds of fish, and snapper seems to be the best. I have also seen ceviche with shrimp, squid, scallops, etc., but that requires some extra cooking. The kind I made is closest to the Mexican version of the dish, with the tostada and all.

William R.
09-03-2006, 06:14 PM
They even drink the juice. I forget what they call it.

Tiger milk, son! RAAAAWR!

Frank Estrada
09-03-2006, 06:23 PM
I have tried it, and it's actually good.