PDA

View Full Version : EQUINOX Criterion Collection (MERGED)

David Huber
03-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Long-rumored and now true. The cover is up here:

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/

Kristian R
03-15-2006, 01:22 PM
YES!!!! You just make my freakin' day! I've been waiting for this forever. My fingers are crossed that they will include both versions.

Bill Pissott
03-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Damn!!! One I have wanted to see for such a long time but yet another I refuse to buy at Criterion's inflated prices. Oh well, can always include it in the Netflix queue.

Kristian R
03-15-2006, 01:31 PM
I'd pay double the regular Criterion price for the chance to own this in non-faded, non-blurry form.

Bill Pissott
03-15-2006, 01:43 PM
More power to you KR. Can u get me a job where u work?? :)

Kristian R
03-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Sho' nuff! We could crank our music all day.

Despite my unbridled love for Equinox it would probably be a good idea to just rent it Bill. The movie is high octane cheese, but individual mileage may vary.

Gary Banks
03-15-2006, 02:40 PM
I saw this about 6 times at the DI back in the 70's. While I like it I will wait for a sale.

Some better looking art than the cover below.

J Fresta
03-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Damn!!! One I have wanted to see for such a long time but yet another I refuse to buy at Criterion's inflated prices. Oh well, can always include it in the Netflix queue.

Or Bill...you could just wait until I buy it and I'll....ahem...make sure to send you a gift in an unmarked envelope. :D

I figured they wouldn't be losing any money since you're not going to buy it anyway!!

Bill Pissott
03-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Or Bill...you could just wait until I buy it and I'll....ahem...make sure to send you a gift in an unmarked envelope. :D

I figured they wouldn't be losing any money since you're not going to buy it anyway!!

Hmm, color me interested. I like receiving gifts :)

Kristian R
03-15-2006, 03:53 PM
The blurb on that page refers to the movie as a "science fiction adventure". Sci-fi? Did I miss something?

William R.
03-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Hey Kristian, since I've never seen this (passed up about a million chances), what's the deal with this movie and EVIL DEAD?

Max Page
03-15-2006, 04:21 PM
More power to you KR. Can u get me a job where u work?? :)

If it's a single disc, it could be 29.88 SRP, which is what BU is charging for their up coming WIP films, so the price isn't bad. If it's 39.88, however, well there is always the DDD 20% off sale.

I used to see this on TV all the same, always said "Check out 'em gumby action."

Kristian R
03-15-2006, 04:28 PM
William, there are a few similar plot points so it often gets cited as an influence on Evil Dead. But Sam Raimi has said he had never seen it so it would seem to be coincidence only. Basically both have the same set up. A professor studies an evil book in a cabin in the woods and unleashes some evil shit. Then teens come along, find the book and get fucked with. It all sounds more similar that it actually comes across on the screen.

William R.
03-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Ah, ok. I didn't know what the deal was. I thought it might've had something to do with the effects.

Kristian R
03-15-2006, 05:04 PM
There are a bunch of groovy stop-motion effects but no real connection with the Evil Dead in that area... unless you maybe jump to Evil Dead 2 as they both have gags with winged demons.

Ariel P
03-15-2006, 08:13 PM
If it's a single disc, it could be 29.88 SRP, which is what BU is charging for their up coming WIP films, so the price isn't bad. If it's 39.88, however, well there is always the DDD 20% off sale.

http://www.dvdplanet.com/main.asp

Their criterion is always 35% off and there's free shipping. This is where I always go for Criterion.

Tom D
03-16-2006, 10:26 AM
I fucking love this movie! The continuity is for shit (which makes it even better). The one gal's hair length changes back and forth throughout the film.

Kristian R
03-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Her weight also fluctuates significantly from scene to scene as well. Awesome.

Richard Sweeney
03-19-2006, 04:51 PM
THe flying devil at the end is way cool... I saw this in a theatre in the seventies.
Give the guy his cross!

jimallcorn
03-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Yet ANOTHER disc I have to add to the "upper portion" of my want list. A list that I just KNOW I'll never remotely get around to fulfilling in my lifetime. Unless, of course, I win a mega-lottery. Which, I suppose, will be pretty bloody difficult seeing as how I never buy any sodding tickets! :p

jimallcorn
03-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Though my parents were terrific in that they were both genre film fans as well & took my two older sisters & I to the drive in quite often while I was growing up, EQUINOX was one of those films I managed to miss on the big screen. Though, I wanted to see it VERY badly.
Infact, I distinctly remember seeing the trailer for it while at the drive in & then the TV spots too back in the early '70s sometime during it's theatrical run. For some reason we managed to miss it though. :(
Then, the ads for the 8MM film of it showed up in those OH SO frustratingly tempting back pages of FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND. And, not knowing any better at that age, I was just convinced that all those films advertised there were, indeed, the complete feature length movie with sound & all. :rolleyes:
And though I often asked for the projector & a whole slew of films, I never did manage to get it. Not that I ever wanted for much as a kid. My parents ( especially my Mom ) were awfully good at providing me with stuff from my interests & hobbies, but that film projector & Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Roberts proved very elusive for some reason.

Anyhow, I never did get around to seeing actually EQUINOX until cable television & that invaluable duo of WOR or WPIX provided me with a late night viewing in my teens. And, I loved it. Shortcomings, cheesiness & all. :D
I managed another viewing of it just a couple of years ago ( via Sci Fi or maybe AMC, I can't recall... :confused: ) & enjoyed it all over again. This time I really noticed it's Lovecraftian influences.
As for it's connection or non-connection to EVIL DEAD. I don't know...
I love Sam Raimi & his work, but I find it difficult to believe that he'd never seen EQUINOX before making DEAD. I'm not saying he ripped it off or anything of the sort, but damn, there are some distinct similarities that are hard to dismiss IMO. Maybe he saw it as a kid & forgot about it, but it stuck with him subliminally? I don't know...

Kristian R
03-19-2006, 10:14 PM
The release date is now set for June 20th. :D

Marshall Crist
03-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Sounds like the DVD may only contain the theatrical version. Hope that's wrong.

Tom D
03-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Sounds like the DVD may only contain the theatrical version. Hope that's wrong.

I know I've asked this before but forgot the answer :o : what are the differences?

Kristian R
03-20-2006, 01:23 PM
This is from the IMDB and is fairly accurate:
===============
The original version of this film is intitled "The Equinox: A Journey Into the Supernatural"(1967) directed by Dennis Muren. This version used the same cast, but includes stop-motion animaition not seen in the release version, a totally different stortline, doesn't include the character Asmodeous, has a completely different music score, differently filmed versions of scenes which were in the released film and other differences. Jack Woods is credited for writer and director of the release version.
============
I wouldn't go so far to say it has "a totally different stortline", but it is significantly different. If the official release skips the alternate version it can be had pretty easy if you look around.

Kristian R
03-20-2006, 11:28 PM
DVD Drive-in has the full specs now. This is so awesome I may have to buy two copies. On to watch and one to make love to.
===========
...will include a high definition full screen transfer of the 82-minute Jack Harris theatrical version, as well as Dennis Muren's rare original version, THE EQUINOX: A JOURNEY INTO THE SUPERNATURAL. Other extras include: Two audio commentaries, by the filmmakers of each version, including Dennis Muren and Jack Woods; New video interviews with Muren and cast members; Deleted scenes, outtakes, and animation tests; Two short films: Zorgon: The H-Bomb Beast from Hell and the rare animated fairy tale The Magic Treasure, both involving key EQUINOX talents...

Marshall Crist
03-21-2006, 12:06 AM
Fucking A.

Andy Copp
03-23-2006, 07:11 PM
My friend lent them the Dennis Muren cut and if they used it, it is indeed from a blurry VHS source...But hey I'd still plunk down just to convince Criterion that horror is a good avenue to explore more often!

Andy

Lorne Marshall
03-24-2006, 12:53 AM
I normally just lurk around these discussions, but I thought I'd register so I can offer some further "insights" (if you will) into EQUINOX.

I wrote a 14-page article on this film 5 years ago called "Muren You Can Imagine." (That may be a bad pun, but I was originally going to title the piece "Rock Me, Asmodeus"!) It was a detailed, scene-for-scene comparison between two versions of the movie, similar to what I did about 15 years ago with LISA AND THE DEVIL and HOUSE OF EXORCISM for Videooze magazine. Unfortunately it was never published. And now, with the impending release of the movie on DVD, it looks as if it won't be. So I thought I'd offer a few tidbits to readers of this thread that they might find interesting.

Both Wizard releases of this movie were taken from separate elements. EQUINOX runs 1:21:39 and THE BEAST runs 1:21:24. The fifteen-second difference in running times between the two is attributable to the fact that EQUINOX contains a forty-second sequence missing from THE BEAST, while THE BEAST has a twenty-five-second sequence not in EQUINOX. The segment exclusive to EQUINOX primarily involves the flashback of the professor's mad automobile ride. The one exclusive to THE BEAST is that goofy attempted rape - drooling and all - of Susan by Asmodeus.

So my main comparison was between the full Jack Harris/Jack Woods variation that ran on AMC (and is 1:22:13) and the original Dennis Muren creation (which is 1:11:25). If you think that the former's longer running time is merely a result of added scenes with Asmodeus (played by Woods) and other filler, you'd be wrong. A lot of footage was excised from Muren's original, resulting in countless narrative divergences between the two versions (as I said, the article was lengthy).

The most striking excisions were of the stop-motion effects by Muren and the late Dave Allen. While hosting AMC's broadcast of EQUINOX, Stan Winston claimed (referring to Jack Harris), "He didn't touch any of Muren's special effects. Maybe he knew what he was doing." Winston was incorrect. In the original, there are extra shots of the reptilian ape as it attacks the foursome by the cave. There is some cool animation in the professor's flashback: an orange and black clock striking midnight as a cartoonish hooded figure comes forth and points its finger, as well as the procession of the damned into Hades being directed by a neat skeleton with a cape and pitchfork. However, most striking are the several additional shots of the devil bat, including some full shots of the creature, a close-up (see my avatar), and some wonderful sequences of the bat gliding below the branches of the forest trees.

I even included with my article an accompanying mini-review of something from 1991 called WINTERBEAST, a VHS release that has been out-of-print for years. Made in Massachusetts, it has a plot not unlike EQUINOX's (demonic forces unleashed through a "gateway" opened by forbidden conjurations); but what makes it especially similar is the stop-motion animation, featuring demented creations by Steve Fiorilla, a talented illustrator and sculptor who has done magazine covers and other film work.

Alas. Live and learn, I say...

Max Page
03-24-2006, 12:57 AM
Thanks Lorne, sounds like I better hang on to both my video until the DVD comes out to see if both footages were used.

Kristian R
03-24-2006, 01:06 AM
Thanks for joining in the discussion Lorne! Any chance we could see that full article sometime, somewhere?

Lorne Marshall
03-24-2006, 01:26 AM
Hi, Kristian. I personally would love to see it published somewhere. I originally did it as a request, but the magazine that was going to publish it kept putting it off. It was kind of understandable, since this really isn't the kind of movie that mag generally covered (i.e., it isn't tremendously gory).

I guess now that Muren's original version is going to be readily available, there probably is not as much interest in an exploration of what was once an obscure rendition of a low-budget classic. But as I said, I would be very happy if the whole article saw publication, and the better part of a month's work would not be wasted.

Any suggestions?

Kristian R
03-24-2006, 11:53 AM
It sounds like something Video Watchdog might be interested in, especially in connection with a review of the Criterion disk when it comes out.

BTW, I am jealous of your avatar.

Lorne Marshall
03-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Thanks Lorne, sounds like I better hang on to both my video until the DVD comes out to see if both footages were used.

Max, I would be very surprised if Criterion didn't get the full Harris/Woods version, rather than either of the prints Wizard used. I hope they don't just use one of the Wizard prints. I recall that in EQUINOX, actors' heads were cut off, and the drawing in the professor's book of the winged devil cannot be fully seen. THE BEAST was a bit more tattered, which I believe accounts for the missing footage (including Sloan's realization he has David's cross in his jacket pocket). EQUINOX was too dim for my liking, and the color in THE BEAST seemed pretty washed out. (Of course, this was the early days of VHS: EQUINOX was put out in '81, and THE BEAST four years later.)

I think besides the addition of extra animation, viewers will be surprised by the difference in tone between the two films (partly a result of the different scores by John Caper - who uses a recurring musical cue that will be familiar to viewers of BLOOD MANIA and I believe GRAVE OF THE VAMPIRE - and Truman Fisher). Although I prefer the original film, I thought the postponement of some of the otherwordly beings - shadow, squid, and simian - till later in the Harris/Woods version was more suspenseful, and even made more sense in the story. I also thought Frank Bonner's character was way too mean-spirited in the original.

I just hope that Andy is wrong and Criterion won't merely use a tape source for the earlier movie. Let's pray that Muren retained a copy of his original project, so we can get some nice, clear shots of the additional animation.

Lorne Marshall
03-24-2006, 04:05 PM
It sounds like something Video Watchdog might be interested in, especially in connection with a review of the Criterion disk when it comes out.

BTW, I am jealous of your avatar.

Kristian, I think Tim enjoys doing these comparisons himself, and he is better at it than anyone I've ever seen.

And don't be jealous...if Criterion does their usual stellar job, you'll be able to use a nice, clear pic of the devil bat yourself. Or you could use that one of Jim just before he turns into the monster (with those crazy tusks)!

Kristian R
03-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Kristian, I think Tim enjoys doing these comparisons himself, and he is better at it than anyone I’ve ever seen.

But remember, Tim is super busy putting the final touches on his monumental Bava tome, so he might appreciate a nice piece of work he doesn't have to spent a bunch of time one before publication. It would never hurt to inquire.

Kristian R
03-24-2006, 06:12 PM
No worries about the print quality. From the Criterion site...

=========================

Equinox and The Equinox . . . A Journey into the Supernatural are presented in their original aspect ratios of 1:33:1. On widescreen televisions, black bars will appear on the left and right of the images to maintain the proper screen format. This new high-definition digital transfer of Equinox was created on a Spirit Datacine from a 35mm color negative and a 35mm optical track negative from the Academy-restored original 16mm blow-up of the film. The Equinox . . . A Journey into the Supernatural was created on a Cintel C-Reality telecine with Oliver Electronic Wetgate Processing from the 16mm duplicate negative and 16mm composite print of the recuts. Thousands of instances of dirt, debris, and scratches were removed using the MTI Digital Restoration System. To maintain optimal image quality through the compression process, the picture on this dual-layer DVD-9 was encoded at the highest-possible bit rate for the quantity of material included. The soundtracks were mastered at 24-bit from the optical pickups off the 16mm composite print, and audio restoration tools were used to reduce clicks, pops, hiss, and crackle. The Dolby Digital 1.0 signal will be directed to the center channel on 5.1-channel sound systems, but some viewers may prefer to switch to two-channel playback for a wider dispersal of the mono sound.

Lorne Marshall
03-25-2006, 12:35 AM
All I can say is, "WOW!" That's a lot of information. I'm not going to pretend I understand the process that the two prints went through, but in summary, it appears they will both look great. And that is some great news. Thanks a lot, Kristian...

Bruce Holecheck
03-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Lorne's article was originally written at my request to be included in my long gestating 'zine project. I had planned to then run it in Ultra Violent when I briefly hooked up with them, but its length caused it to keep getting bumped, at which point I claimed it back and planned to use it in my own Cinema Arcana. Unfortunately my lack of free time has caused nothing but delays -- I'm now to the point where I'm unsure if it'll ever get off the ground.

I was trying to get Lorne's article included on the Criterion DVD as some sort of interactive text essay, but the friend I had working at the company is no longer there and the DVD's producer hasn't returned any of my requests. I guess when you have George Lucas writing an essay you figure that's enough. With the street date now announced and the specs up, I assume things are close to being finalized and Lorne's piece will not be present. It's a shame, too, because the article is absolutely outstanding, and I would've been really proud to publish it, as it shed a lot of light on a title few knew about. As Lorne said, live and learn.

And Lorne, shoot me your new info -- I haven't been updated since your move.

KenG
03-26-2006, 11:01 PM
Figures that a few weeks after I get the bootleg Five Minutes to Live version that this would come out. I must have seen this a million times on Ghost Host Theatre on Baltimore 45 in the 80's.

Tim Mayer
03-27-2006, 06:51 AM
Okay Bruce, then why don't you or Loren post the article somewhere on the net?

Bruce Holecheck
03-28-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm not going to post it anywhere, as it's Lorne's article and his decision, but if he wants to I certainly have no problems with it.

Kristian R
06-05-2006, 09:28 PM
http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/e-h/equinox6770.htm

Lorne, you are going to have to update your avatar. :)

Bruce Holecheck
06-06-2006, 01:59 PM
I should probably note that a slightly condensed version of Lorne's article now appears in the new issue of Screem Magazine, along with a lot of other good stuff(most by Greg Goodsell, haha.)

http://www.screemag.com

Jason P
06-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Alright so not knowing much about this movie, if I rented one version of it, which version should I see?

Lorne Marshall
06-08-2006, 02:20 AM
I should probably note that a slightly condensed version of Lorne's article now appears in the new issue of Screem Magazine, along with a lot of other good stuff(most by Greg Goodsell, haha.)

http://www.screemag.com

Thanks for the plug, Bruce.

Anyone reading the piece should remember that I wrote it 5 years ago, so some of the information I gave was mere speculation at the time (and will probably be confirmed or refuted in the package coming out later this month). There are other things that are consequently out-of-date, such as the number of Muren's Oscars and the span of time since the movie was released on tape (it's now been over 20 years).

Also, somehow a portion of the article got dropped. I hope I can indulge the forum and include the passage here. For anyone who reads the article in "Screem" magazine, please insert everything below that is in quotes between the sentence with the superscript footnote #7 at the end of page 13 and the section titled "Meeting Susan" at the top of page 14. (Note that I couldn't figure out how to do a superscript "8" for this post, so I just wrote footnote #8.)

For anyone who isn't going to read the article, the rest of this post will make very little sense...

"The second interesting thing concerns the person interviewing David. (The voice is never really identified in the script; it's clearly not the doctor). I have read that Forry Ackerman contributed a voice-over to Equinox, and it certainly sounds like him interrogating David on the reel-to-reel in TEQ. What makes this most interesting is that he is consequently never heard in the Woods rendition!

Planning the party/trip
EQ - 10:52-11:13
TEQ - 10:10-11:57
As the flashback that comprises the bulk of the film begins, in EQ the sequence concerning the call from Waterman on what looks to be a pay phone is just over twenty seconds long and is accompanied by David's voice-over narration.
In TEQ, the flashback starts off with a nearly two-minute segment completely missing from EQ. David's friend Jim Hudson (Boers, Jr./Bonner) is on the phone with schoolmate Eddie, who is throwing a party. They talk about fixing David up with Susan Turner (footnote #8), a neighbor of Eddie's who won't attend without a date. After Jim gets off the phone, he and David (in what I'm guessing is supposed to be Jim's dorm room) engage in small talk about the party. David is excited about his blind date. There is a dissolve to the next day and a scene whose ratio is even greater in favor of TEQ than was this one..."

Lorne Marshall
06-08-2006, 02:29 AM
http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/e-h/equinox6770.htm

Lorne, you are going to have to update your avatar. :)

Uncanny!

Thanks for the link. I usually read George's reviews so I would have eventually gotten around to it, but I'm glad I did it sooner rather than later.

I think people who are extremely familiar with the Woods/Harris version are going to be extremely (and happily) surprised to see the original version. I know I was.

Lorne Marshall
06-08-2006, 02:33 AM
Alright so not knowing much about this movie, if I rented one version of it, which version should I see?

Jason, assuming you can find somewhere that rents this in the first place, both versions should be included. I suppose if you only had time to watch one, you should watch the original version by Dennis Muren. But from what I've read about the extras (which you can read about at the link Kristian provided), there will be a lot of stuff you'll want to watch in this package.

Fred Adelman
06-08-2006, 02:54 AM
Is this being advertised as the 35th Anniversary Edition? I was contacted last August by some people saying that they were preparing a 35th Anniversary edition of the film(s) and they read a review of the film on my site and wanted to know if I had any artwork from the film. I emailed them a bunch of stuff according to their specifications and never heard back from them. Can anyone shed any info?

Aaron G
06-08-2006, 05:52 AM
Just read the *glowing* review on DVD-Drive and this film sunds really cool..Is it anything like a Ray Harryhausen SPFX film or maybe the Deadly Spawn? I don't mind that it's cheap drek, but their review seems to have almost sold me, though I await the opinion of my fellow DVD Maniacs before departing with my dimishing drachmas...Cheers

John G.
06-08-2006, 07:49 AM
Fuck yes you do!

Robert Plante
06-08-2006, 08:04 AM
If ERASERHEAD is the ultimate art student movie, then EQUINOX is the ultimate amateur monster movie. Watch it from that perspective and it never gets old.

Kristian R
06-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Yes, you must have it. Anyone who says otherwise is not to be trusted about anything.

Bill M
06-08-2006, 09:53 AM
dont understand the following on this one..saw it at the theater when it came out and thought it was a joke..then again a few years ago ..opinion had not changed...anyway to each thier own I guess

Brian Lindsey
06-08-2006, 10:03 AM
http://www.eccentric-cinema.com/images/movie_pix_j-p/mighty_gorga15.jpg
It's a fun, interesting film, provided you keep in mind that it was mostly made by college students with barely two nickels to rub together. If you enjoyed DEADLY SPAWN — ultra-low budget warts and all — then EQUINOX should be right up your alley.

(I always get a kick out that old geezer cackling maniacally in the cave.)

Mike Howlett
06-08-2006, 12:03 PM
I need it... that's for sure!

Kenton Sem
06-08-2006, 12:12 PM
It's amateurish. It's cheap. It's also legendary, fun, totally cool and boasts a cameo by my favorite horror writer of all time, Fritz Leiber (the Fafhrd Books, Our Lady of Darkness, Conjure Wife...)! How could you go wrong?

Marshall Crist
06-08-2006, 12:14 PM
I don't know about you, but I NEED it. Like oxygen.

Geo W.
06-08-2006, 01:55 PM
http://www.eccentric-cinema.com/images/movie_pix_j-p/mighty_gorga15.jpg
It's a fun, interesting film, provided you keep in mind that it was mostly made by college students with barely two nickels to rub together. If you enjoyed DEADLY SPAWN — ultra-low budget warts and all — then EQUINOX should be right up your alley.

(I always get a kick out that old geezer cackling maniacally in the cave.)

Exactly...My only complaint is that there was not enough blatant, uncalled for gratuitous nudity. But then, I always think that. :D
I just love nudity in older films(pre '75). In my fucked up mind it seems so wrong, which makes it so very right.

Jason P
06-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Netflix has this for rent but seems to be renting out each disc of the Criterion set seperately so I planned on watching one version to start with and if I liked it enough, probably give the other a try.

J. Treece
06-08-2006, 05:09 PM
This film is the sacrament of my faith.

Jon T.

Aaron G
06-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Cool..But bugger! It's released AFTER both DDD and DVDPacific sales!!!

Jesse Blough
06-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Netflix has this for rent but seems to be renting out each disc of the Criterion set seperately so I planned on watching one version to start with and if I liked it enough, probably give the other a try.

Actually, I think both versions of Equinox are on the first disc. I would personally rent the first disc first just to see if that's the case.

Marshall Crist
06-09-2006, 03:06 AM
This is currently the number one pre-order at DVD Planet.

Darryl M
06-09-2006, 03:30 PM
disc one contains The Equinox... A Journey into the Supernatural (1967-71 min) and Equinox (1970-82 min.)

The 2 disc set is worth the price alone just for the incredible amount of supplements! It was worth the wait.

Ingolf Eskedahl
06-12-2006, 02:05 PM
got mine today, and I´m watching it in a coupla hours, wooooooohooooo!!!!!!

Fred Adelman
06-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Criterion finally sent me a comp copy of the DVD today. I look in the booklet and my name appears under the "Thank You" heading! I supplied them with some rare VHS and poster material for their extras disc. I finally got my name mentioned on a DVD after supplying many companies with materials for their films. Will wonders never cease?

Don May Jr
06-17-2006, 10:27 PM
I got my copy today and watched both versions of the movie (both are indeed on the first disc).

What an absolute blast! I haven't seen the film for AT LEAST 10-15 years and enjoyed the heck out of it. I watched the original version first, then the theatrically released version.

The original version was a composite of a few different prints (including an old bootleg VHS tape). The funny thing is, watching both films back to back... I noticed a scene that was perfectly clean and clear in the release version that they pulled off a VHS tape to put BACK in the original cut. Instead of the crappy looking VHS shot, they could've just pulled it off the release version to make the scene better looking. I believe it was in the sequence with the stop motion monster. Oh well...

I'll probably listen to one of the commentaries tomorrow. Haven't even looked at the 2nd disc yet... Too much to watch! I even got the Unrated GWENDOLINE today, and Anchor Bay's THE QUIET EARTH, too! Decisions, decisions...