View Full Version : The Godfather - PS2 Game

Richard C
03-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Anyone here played the new Godfather game?:

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=PS2&title=570385&pa=rnr

I'm undecided whether to get this or BLACK

Benjamin C
03-31-2006, 11:48 AM
Well i haven't played "The Godfather" yet but the reviews are pretty positive so far and it seems like a pretty good mix between "GTA"and "Mafia". I'll definitly get it once the price goes down !

As for "Black" it's gotta be THE coolest 3-D shooter i have played the last 10 years but i was so dissapointed when i finished the game after only 5 and a half hours and there's no multi-player or online option. It's really short but also one hell of a spectacular ride. I'd say wait till "Black" get's a little cheaper and they buy it. I payed 55 euro's for it, and that's just way too much for a game which lasts 5 and a half hours, at least that's my opinion. It's definitly a top notch 3-d shooter but i hope (if they do a sequel) they make the next one twice as long.

Richard C
03-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Well i haven't played "The Godfather" yet but the reviews are pretty positive so far and it seems like a pretty good mix between "GTA"and "Mafia". I'll definitly get it once the price goes down !

As for "Black" it's gotta be THE coolest 3-D shooter i have played the last 10 years but i was so dissapointed when i finished the game after only 5 and a half hours and there's no multi-player or online option. It's really short but also one hell of a spectacular ride. I'd say wait till "Black" get's a little cheaper and they buy it. I payed 55 euro's for it, and that's just way too much for a game which lasts 5 and a half hours, at least that's my opinion. It's definitly a top notch 3-d shooter but i hope (if they do a sequel) they make the next one twice as long.
Thanks for that. I don't usually pay full price because the games are pretty much worthless once you've finished them (I struggle to sell PS2 games for £10 at times) - so I think I'll sit on my wallet until BLACK gets a little cheaper

William R.
03-31-2006, 03:06 PM
I've been playing the hell out of the Godfather game. Fans of the movie will definitely get a kick out of it. You play a pivitol behind the scenes character and they make it work really well so far. There are loads of things for you to do. Extort businesses, take over rackets, hubs, and warehouses in each part of the city to expand the Corleone's power. There's different sections each controlled by different families. Little Italy, Brooklyn, Hell's Kitchen, Midtown, and Jersey. I think that's it. They did a really good job recreating the old time NYC. It kind of feels like Grand Theft Auto: Corleone mixed with a bit of the Warriors.

At the moment I'm a Capo and just took over Brooklyn after whiping out a rival family. Mob Wars are fun. If you try and take over a Warehouse or such after a while inside killing all the guys you'll start a Mob War. You have two days to end the war or some of your businesses get bombed and the other family wins it. You can end it by bombing one of their businesses or bribing an FBI guy to draw heat away from the Corleone's and add pressure to the other family.

You can bribe cops to help you get away with certain crimes in certain areas without drawing heat. You can even rob banks and buy weapons from black market guys in alleys and corners throughout the city. Oh, and you can whack people too. Abe Vigoda will set you up with conract hits to do.

Fun game.

mark t
03-31-2006, 03:25 PM
I read a review of it today, and there was a screenshot that looked like James Caan smacking a guy in the head with a pipe outside of the Genco Olive Oil building. Looked pretty nifty.

William R.
03-31-2006, 03:39 PM
Sonny is the best character in the game. He cracks me up.

Zane C.
03-31-2006, 04:08 PM
I bought this the other day, too. Like Will said, it's a great game, and well worth cash if you're a GODFATHER fan. It also helps that they got the actual voice talent of Marlon Brando, James Caan, and Robert Duvall as well. It's a shame they couldn't have gotten Pacino on board, but he passed on doing this game, from what I've read. He did, however, give his voice to the upcoming SCARFACE game according to the article I read. Too bad; it would have made the game even more fun. It's seemingly a long game - I've read people saying 50-60 hours to complete it. I'm only about 3 hours into the game, so I can't say, really. I'm happy with it, though, and sunk the extra cash into the "limited edition" set with the extra disc, just because, well, I'm a sucker for "limited editions", and the advertisement works on me. :D

BLACK is a solid first person shooter, but fairly short in comparison to THE GODFATHER. It too is a fun game, but I'll bet they're going to drop the price on it soon. The missions are pretty routine, and there's nothing new in the FPS genre there, but the look of the game is impressive. It's definitely one of the best FPS out there, if not the best. Only drawback: no multiplayer, so if you like that option, it's not there. I'm sure they'll change that if a BLACK 2 comes out. If you're pressed between which game to get, get THE GODFATHER; it's worth the cash, and IMO, a better purchase than BLACK.

William R.
03-31-2006, 04:12 PM
I'm not big on FPS, so I skipped out on BLACK and bought BLAZING ANGELS instead. I only did the training mission before popping in THE GODFATHER to check it out an it hasn't left the console since.

"Leave the gun. Take the canoli."

Paul A J Lewis
04-01-2006, 05:18 AM
I read a review of it today, and there was a screenshot that looked like James Caan smacking a guy in the head with a pipe outside of the Genco Olive Oil building.
That's sold me!

I've been looking at this game since it was released. Now I've been payed, I think I might just cave in and order it. MAFIA was a bit of a disappointment; I'm hoping this game will be better.

Wostry Ferenc
04-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Ok, so which one is the best GTA3-like game? I think it's Mercenaries, it's amazing. Lotsa people say San Andreas, but I just couldn't get into that, and I like the early 90s rap scene and everything... Among the core GTA family games I liked the original GTA3 the best.

William R.
04-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Ok, so which one is the best GTA3-like game? I think it's Mercenaries, it's amazing. Lotsa people say San Andreas, but I just couldn't get into that, and I like the early 90s rap scene and everything... Among the core GTA family games I liked the original GTA3 the best.

I didn't like Mercenaries. I'm glad I only rented it. I don't have much use for GTA Clones to be honest, which is why I was a bit surprised at how enjoyable the Godfather is to me once I figured out what the gameplay was all about. It might be the themes and the source familiarity or something, but it works. As does Destroy All Humans, which, despite being so damn short is pretty fun. The rest of them (Driv3r, 25 ta Life, True Crime)... blah.

Josh S
04-02-2006, 11:22 PM
I'm by no means a Godfather fan (I've seen it once and that was probably ten years ago), but I rented this tonight. I've only gotten to play it for about 10 minutes because my wife wanted to watch Memoirs of a Geisha, so the only things I've dealt with are graphics (which seem really good) and the fighting controls (which are awesome). I thought I'd hate having to hold R and use the R thumbstick to swing and dodge and use L to grab and L thumbstick to lift the guy, but it's actually awesome. It makes me feel like I'm doing more without making the game any harder.

William R.
04-04-2006, 03:19 AM
Just a heads up in here in case anyone doesn't read the trade forum. I've finished the game and decided to put it up for trade/sale. I figured I'd give the Maniacs a crack at it first and if nobody wants it by the end of this week, I'm bringing it to Gamestop.

Josh S
04-04-2006, 04:40 PM
If I had a PS2 I might buy it. Right now I'm stuck on the mission where you go with Tom to leave the horsehead. For some reason after I kill the first guard the timer keeps running and I can't find the other guard(s) anywhere.

William R.
04-04-2006, 04:44 PM
If I had a PS2 I might buy it. Right now I'm stuck on the mission where you go with Tom to leave the horsehead. For some reason after I kill the first guard the timer keeps running and I can't find the other guard(s) anywhere.

You sneek up on the guard at the top of the stairs and kill him, then enter the house through the kitchen. You have to make your way upstairs. There's a guard in the hallway opposite the door the butler leaves through.

Josh S
04-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I got in the door. The thing is, when I killed the guard at the top of the stairs the first time the timer kept going. After I died my wife said she saw a guard coming from the same direction as the dead guard. When I tried again we never saw the other guard but every time I get to the stairs leading to the house a timer pops up with just 7 seconds on it. I ran in the house and saw the butler, but a guard came running up and time ran out. I'm back in the stables, and I'm hoping it was just some weird glitch and this time all will go well.

Either way, awesome game. Given the fact that I play so few games unless Madden 07 makes a HUGE leap in quality this will almost certainly be my favorite game of the year.

EDIT: It was just a glitch. I'm in the house now. I also just realized that it's 3PM on a Tuesday afternoon and my unemployed ass is playing video games and fucking around online instead of job hunting. I'm the most kickass 27 year old ever.