PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Video Games of the Past

Paul A J Lewis
12-18-2005, 04:28 PM
So I'm sitting here, watching the television. I've got some Christmas presents to wrap, and I'm half way through rewatching DEATH RIDES A HORSE. But my mind keeps wandering: I keep thinking of DEATH WISH 3, the video game.

In what other game did you get to play Charles Bronson, kicking the asses of street punks? And what other game let you use a bazooka to blow up policemen, elderly women and hookers? And the game was freeroaming too: you could wander around the city, working your way in and out of buildings and collecting all sorts'a weapons (357 Wildey Magnums, machine guns, bazookas) and taking pot-shots from windows; every now and then, a riot would kick off, and you'd have to quell it by shooting the street punks who started it. I tell ya, GRAND THEFT AUTO 3 and its kin ain't got nuttin' on DEATH WISH 3!

http://62.168.142.47/~lemon/covers/full/death_wish_3_(disk).jpg

Note the words: 'You *are* Bronson in... DEATH WISH 3'. How cool can video games get?

I'd like to see this game get a remake: imagine what this game would be like on the current generation of consoles!

Bronson takes aim at some hookers:
http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/moviegames/deathwish3ams2.gif

Bronson and a pile of giblets (do they belong to a policeman or a thug? Who can tell?):
http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/moviegames/deathwish3com.gif

Who else can remember this game?

What are the Maniacs' favourite games of yesteryear?

Cheers,
Paul

KH Brown
12-18-2005, 04:47 PM
I don't remember this, but do recall the adaptation of the Sly Stallone vehicle Cobra - the one with the "Crime is the Disease: He's the Cure" tagline - though it pretty much sucked IIRC.

If we're talking favourite video games then my list would go something like this:

Home computer (ZX81, C64, Amiga, friend's Atari ST):
Boulderdash
New Zealand Story
Klax
Buggy Boy
Kick Off
Super Sprint

Arcade:
Space Invaders
Defender
Joust
Pac Land
Gauntlet ("Green Elf needs food badly")
Gauntlet 2 ("All your powers will be lost", "I've not seen such bravery" etc.)
Tetris
Bubble Bobble

SNES:
Super Mario World
Super Mario Cart
Super Tennis
Super Bomberman

I never really got into the later generations of consoles, or playing games on the PC, except for Doom and Doom II, but I do have various emulators installed and occasionally have a blast of arcade or SNES action for old times sake.

My all time least favourite games are wire frame ones like Battlezone and Star Wars, which I could never get to grips with the perspective on for some reason.

Paul A J Lewis
12-18-2005, 04:53 PM
I don't remember this, but do recall the adaptation of the Sly Stallone vehicle Cobra - the one with the "Crime is the Disease: He's the Cure" tagline - though it pretty much sucked IIRC.
That was the side-scrolling shoot-em-up, wasn't it, KH? It was pretty awful.

My all time least favourite games are wire frame ones like Battlezone and Star Wars, which I could never get to grips with the perspective on for some reason.
Agreed!

Anyone remember the DAWN OF THE DEAD video game released by Ubisoft under the title ZOMBI?

Jesper Maintz
12-18-2005, 04:57 PM
:D I can definately remember this game, Paul - I remember having it cracked on tape and playing it intensenly for a period of time. I remember it being called "one of the most violent games EVER" in danish Commodore 64 magazines and I definately remember the feeling of shooting a hooker for the first time. :D And youre right, we need remakes of this title (and for some other Gremlin Graphics games as well!)

Being the platform nerd I am, I loved games like Monty Mole, Monty on the Run and Auf Wiedersehen - and man, I would like to be able to play them again, but unfortunately, Im way to stupid to figure out how to get those emulators work on my Macintosh... :(

Jesper Maintz
12-18-2005, 05:00 PM
That was the side-scrolling shoot-em-up, wasn't it, KH? It was pretty awful.
Indeed it was - and I loved it... One of the few games, that I actually managed to complete back then. The games were all in all much harder back then - we the difficulty level up there in modern games, so you dont complete it in 1 day... :)

Paul A J Lewis
12-18-2005, 05:04 PM
I can definately remember this game, Paul - I remember having it cracked on tape and playing it intensenly for a period of time. I remember it being called "one of the most violent games EVER" in danish Commodore 64 magazines and I definately remember the feeling of shooting a hooker for the first time.
IIRC, it caused quite a stir in the UK, Jesper: it was the GRAND THEFT AUTO of its day :D

I've still got the Amstrad cassette version, but unfortunately I don't have my old Amstrad anymore.

(I've also got a few other games for the Amstrad on cassette and CD, including the ROBOCOP game in its big box and LASER SQUAD: two other firm favourites of mine.)

Being the platform nerd I am, I loved games like Monty Mole, Monty on the Run and Auf Wiedersehen
The Monty games were pretty cool!

- and man, I would like to be able to play them again, but unfortunately, Im way to stupid to figure out how to get those emulators work on my Macintosh...
Same here: I've got a few emulators on my desktop PC, but I use my PowerBook more frequently, and I haven't been able to find any decent emulators for it yet :(

Christoffer S
12-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Nes: Bubble Bobble, Super Mario 3, Rygar, Ikari Warriors, Rush n attack, Gunsmoke, Bomberman,
C64/128: Last Ninja 2, defender of the crown, Laser Squad, Mr. Heli,
SNES: Super Mario Cart, Contra, Street Fighter II, Super Ghouls
Megadrive/Genesis: Streets of Rage 1,2,3, Turbo Outrun, Mercs, NHL94-95etc, Shinobi IIandIII, Flashback, Another World, Sonic 2,
Neo-Geo: King of Fighters (all of them) Metal Slug (all of them) most shoot em ups
Old PC: UFO: Enemy Unknown, Civilization

Jesper Maintz
12-18-2005, 05:11 PM
IIRC, it caused quite a stir in the UK, Jesper: it was the GRAND THEFT AUTO of its day :D Very true! I recollect all the kids talking about it in school, and being really excited about the "ridiculous amount of violence" that the game represented - still a cool game, and I got really nostalgic reading your first post... :)

(I've also got a few other games for the Amstrad on cassette and CD, including the ROBOCOP game in its big box and LASER SQUAD: two other firm favourites of mine.) Unfortunately I never owned many of the games in their original packaging - back in the day, they were way too expensive, and I dont think I ever owned more than ten games - Judge Dredd, Firelord, stuff like that....

Same here: I've got a few emulators on my desktop PC, but I use my PowerBook more frequently, and I haven't been able to find any decent emulators for it yet :(Damn - if you ever work it out, please let me know! I have tried and tried, but I just cant get the games to work... Maybe some other members can help us out? ;)

Paul A J Lewis
12-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Rygar, Ikari Warriors, Rush n attack
I'd forgotten about RYGAR. Didn't it get a makeover for the PS2, a year or so ago?

SNES: Flashback
I forgot about FLASHBACK! Didn't it get released for the MegaDrive too?

Christoffer S
12-18-2005, 05:22 PM
I'd forgotten about RYGAR. Didn't it get a makeover for the PS2, a year or so ago?

I forgot about FLASHBACK! Didn't it get released for the MegaDrive too?

I think so, and yes :D

Jesper Maintz
12-18-2005, 05:26 PM
The RYGAR remake for PS2 was above average, but again way too easy and quick to complete - and had really nothing but the name and the chainsaw weapon in common with the good old arcade game...

Paul A J Lewis
12-18-2005, 05:29 PM
The RYGAR remake for PS2 was above average, but again way too easy and quick to complete - and had really nothing but the name and the chainsaw weapon in common with the good old arcade game...
Hmmmm. I may see if I can pick this up, as I enjoyed the original game.

Jesper Maintz
12-18-2005, 05:35 PM
Hmmmm. I may see if I can pick this up, as I enjoyed the original game.I recommend you try to find it as a rental, Paul - it has the limited playing time against it, and is definately not worth the full prize... On the other hand, it has one of the most beutiful designed levels I have ever seen in a game, so its definately worth a look! :)

Paul A J Lewis
12-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Indeed it was - and I loved it... One of the few games, that I actually managed to complete back then. The games were all in all much harder back then - we the difficulty level up there in modern games, so you dont complete it in 1 day... :)
It's interesting how games have changed, and how much modern games emulate movies: most modern games have to have a narrative and a justification for the action, whereas even games like COBRA (which was based on the film) mostly didn't attempt to incorporate any kind of narrative.

Jesper Maintz
12-18-2005, 05:46 PM
While were at it, heres my fave game from the arcade days - it was called GUNSMOKE and was more than anything else the game, that made me the proud gaming nerd I am today:
http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/images/G/cGun_Smoke.jpg

http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/screens/G/vGun_Smoke.png

Anybody remember this great western game?

Paul A J Lewis
12-18-2005, 05:52 PM
While were at it, heres my fave game from the arcade days - it was called GUNSMOKE and was more than anything else the game, that made me the proud gaming nerd I am today:
http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/images/G/cGun_Smoke.jpg

http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/screens/G/vGun_Smoke.png

Anybody remember this great western game?
I haven't played it before, Jesper. It looks like IKARI WARRIORS (a viewed-from-above scrolling shoot-em-up). What was the gameplay like?

Jesper Maintz
12-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Yeah, its kindda like Ikari Warriors in that you see the action from above, but this game just felt magic to me (great gameplay and controls, great music, lots of weird power-ups and secrets), so it marked my until-now lifelong love affair with video games - most of us probably have fund memories of a game like that?

Anyway, more information on GUNSMOKE here: http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=G&game_id=8042

AND, Swedish Joe just informed me, that he actually mentioned Gunsmoke in his post - well, Im only danish!

Torstein Karlsen
12-18-2005, 06:06 PM
ah Gunsmoke was so great!

I love the old nintendo games, infact i bought a Nintendo off ebay and have about 100 games for it now!

for PC games, i have a hero... just check the avatar, if u dont know then u dont KNOW!

Paul A J Lewis
12-18-2005, 06:12 PM
Yeah, its kindda like Ikari Warriors in that you see the action from above, but this game just felt magic to me (great gameplay and controls, great music, lots of weird power-ups and secrets), so it marked my until-now lifelong love affair with video games - most of us probably have fund memories of a game like that?

Anyway, more information on GUNSMOKE here: http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=G&game_id=8042

AND, Swedish Joe just informed me, that he actually mentioned Gunsmoke in his post - well, Im only danish!
Sounds cool! I'll see if I can track it down sometime :)

Jesper Maintz
12-18-2005, 06:31 PM
Sounds cool! I'll see if I can track it down sometime :)You try that, Paul - even though it probably will be hard to find in its arcade form - I think I remember it being released on one of the early consoles - like the NES or something like that - but I dont remember it being as good as it was on arcade...

Paul Casey
12-18-2005, 07:35 PM
My favorite C64 games were Master of Magic, Forbidden Forest, Wizard, and Ups 'N' Downs.
I also had a cool Simon-esque break dancing game.
I also loved Todd's Adventures in Slime World on Sega Genesis.

I can't really remember some of the other rad games. My brain is tired.

Jeff D.
12-18-2005, 11:25 PM
You guys need to grab the CAPCOM CLASSICS COLLECTION.. easily the best game comp Ive played. GUNSMOKE is just as frustrating now as it was 15 yrs ago. The line up is pretty awesome.... though do we really need 3 STREET FIGHTERS? Pick it up, its fun. I want Konami classics now, Rushn attack etc. Hopefully in the near future

mark t
12-19-2005, 09:51 AM
I fucking loved Gunsmoke! That was such a great game, and i'd forgotten all about it.

Also, count me in for the wireframe games like Star Wars and Battle Zone, particularly Battle Zone. I had that game in a little console that was at my Grandparents everytime i went to visit. Played the shit out of it.

I liked Rygar for the nintendo, but it was really easy to beat...and somebody just donated a complete Commodore System (128, I think) with the Robocop big box game. Maybe i should set it up....

Eric A
12-19-2005, 10:27 AM
Classic video games, is there anything better? I SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much prefer these over the new generation of games which mostly offer all flash and no substance. Lots of great mentions of stuff too. Here's some of mine.

Commodore:
Legacy of the Ancients
Law of the West
Most of the Ultima games
Seven Cities of Gold
Master of Lamps
Aliens (Activision)
Winter Games
The Bards Tale

Amiga:
Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2
Dungeon Master
Elvira - Mistress of the Dark (first game that was actually scary and gory)
PP Hammer and his Pneumatic Drill
Drakken
Street Rod 2
Most all of the Psygnosis games like Agony, Shadow of the Beast, Blood Money, etc.
Technocop (gore!)
Savage (great soundtrack)
Pinball Dreams, Pinball Illusions, Pinball Fantasies

NES
first 3 Megaman games
The Ninja Gaiden series
Friday the 13th
Rygar
Karnov
Kung Fu
Double Dragon
Dragon Warrior
Zelda
Crystalis

TG16/Duo:
Bloody Wolf
Last Alert
Neutopia
Splatterhouse
Alien Crush and Devil's Crush
Lords of Thunder
Y's (the whole series)

The lists for each one go on and on...

mark t
12-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Does anybody remember Maniac Mansion on the The Nintendo?

They had a wicked Edsel parked in the garage. :)

I think that game was one of the more fun games that I played. Not entirely hard, but it had a puzzle element that was different.

I remember the trickiest old game that i had was Pitfall II for the Atari 2600. The only way to get past it was to freefall from the top level of one screen with your joystick pressed to the far left, which would cause you to scroll onto another screen and land on a ledge otherwise unattainable. Brutally difficult, and almost alien to the 2600 crowd.

Marshall Crist
12-19-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm all about Mr. Do! for Coleco. Sadly neither of my Coleco units work anymore. Is this game availabe on a current system?

Kristian R
12-19-2005, 12:35 PM
M.U.L.E.
Karateka
Bruce Lee
Spelunker
Montezuma's Revenge

Eric A
12-19-2005, 12:38 PM
For those that want to play some of these great old games, you can download them at Planetemu.net (http://www.planetemu.net). The site is in French, but its very easy to navigate. They have just about every game for every system ever made. The also have links to emulators for all the systems. If you're looking for entire collections of games for systems, check out Euroemu.net (http://www.euroemu.net). They have torrent files with the entire collections of NES, SNES, Genesis, Master System, C64, Coleco, Atari, Amstrad CPC, TG16, and MANY more systems. Very nice site

Kristian R
12-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Behind Jaggi Lines a.k.a. Rescue on Fractalus!

This game blew my mind. And the first time a rescued pilot turned out to be an angry alien really freaked my shit!

Scott W
12-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Nemesis the Warlock

Scott W
12-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Racing Destruction Set

Scott W
12-19-2005, 01:25 PM
Impossible Mission

Scott W
12-19-2005, 01:27 PM
The Last Ninja

Tom K
12-19-2005, 01:52 PM
My favorite coin op...

Galaga

Best game ever!!!

I have it for PS1 on one of them multi discs...

I am not much of a gamer...I like all the old coin op games...Tapper, Tempest, Centipede, Donkey Kong, etc...

Kristian R
12-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Word up on Galaga.

Other old arcade favorites of mine include:

Time Pilot
Zaxxon
Xevious
Battlezone
Lunar Lander
Scramble
Missile Command

I also used to kick ass on Donkey Kong Jr.

Torstein Karlsen
12-19-2005, 03:10 PM
screw the new xbox, if ya loved these games when you where young, what stops you from getting them again?

Maybe alot of them will seem dumb these days but i promise alot of your childhood favorites are just as great to play now as before!

so head over to ebay!!!!

Ritchie A
12-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Make Trax and Phoenix were my fav coin op games.... I wish these would get released on on of those 'greatest arcade games' comp discs... :cool:

Conner H
12-20-2005, 12:42 AM
Console:
Super Mario Bros (NES)
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!! (NES)
Sonic 2 (Genesis)
George Foreman's K.O. Boxing (Genesis)
Road Rash (Genesis)
Super Punch Out!! (SNES)
Street Fighter EX Plus A (PSX)

P.C.:
Wolfenstein 3-D
Doom II
King's Quest 6
Space Quest 4
Leisure Suit Larry

Gotta love the classic Sierra adventure games...

Christoffer S
12-20-2005, 03:44 AM
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!! (NES)

P.C.:
Wolfenstein 3-D
Doom II
Leisure Suit Larry

How could I forget!
Ill also add the Monkey Island 1,2 and 3 aswell as Zak McCracken to old school PC.

Jesper Maintz
12-20-2005, 05:45 AM
Impossible MissionClassic game! How could I forget that one?

I remember playing it intensively and collecting all those pieces of the puzzle - but I never put the whole puzzle together, as I just couldnt get it to work. I tried so many times, that in the end, I thought there was something wrong with my crack of the game, which could very easily be the case...

Btw, anybody remember this little game from Activision, HERO?

http://screenmania.retrogames.com/c64/03/c64_0077.html

That game was one of the biggest hits to the C64 for me and my friends back then - we were all able to complete it, and in the end we were battling for high scores, that sometimes only varied with 50 points... :D

Eric A
12-20-2005, 07:56 AM
Ill also add the Monkey Island 1,2 and 3 aswell as Zak McCracken to old school PC.

Shit yeah!!!! I LOVE the first 2 Monkey Island games, in fact I have a save game of the first one on the Amiga right now. Was playing it yesterday. I just got the crew gathered and took off on the ship after LeChuck.

Wostry Ferenc
12-20-2005, 08:35 AM
Commando (if there ever was better game music, I haven't heard it)and Aztec on C64. They rule all.

Paul K.
12-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Earth Worm Jim
Mickey Mania
Vikings
2Crude dudes

and I also love old school quests: Day Of The Tentacles, Full Throttle, Indiana Jones, Hitchhiker's Guide etc...

Paul Casey
12-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Commando (if there ever was better game music, I haven't heard it)

Master Of Magic...best song ever.

Fuckin', EVER, man!

Kenneth M
12-22-2005, 11:12 AM
GTA 3, GTA VC, GTA SA. Suikoden 1, 2. FF Tactics, 7, 10.

Chad Haden
12-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Super Mario 2
Contra
Sonic

Paul Casey
12-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Super Mario 2

As much as I love Mario 3, I think that 2 was the best. That game was inventive, man. Yay!

Richard O
07-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Replying to the starter post of this thread:

Well I tell you this Paul, I have never heard of a Death Wish video game being made, so this is a case of "you learn something new every day". Yes, this Death Wish 3 video game should be remade for a modern day console/modern day consoles.

Probably the video game which is my favourite, has been The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Classic adventure/puzzle game with an involving storylines and very good graphics. Also liked GoldenEye on the N64, apart from the awkward controls.

Paul A J Lewis
07-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Replying to the starter post of this thread:

Well I tell you this Paul, I have never heard of a Death Wish video game being made, so this is a case of "you learn something new every day". Yes, this Death Wish 3 video game should be remade for a modern day console/modern day consoles.
For your delectation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Izpsw1hqY

I haven't played this in 20 years or so, but can still remember the theme music. In fact, a couple of months ago I was digging through some boxes of old stuff, and I still have the boxed Amstrad CPC version of this game on cassette - but on Amstrad CPC on which to play it.

Richard O
07-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Do you remember the computer games of The Spy Who Loved Me and The Living Daylights on the Spectrum? Did those games have the last few levels on the cassettes they came on?

Daniel S.S.
07-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Can't say I remember the Death Wish or 007 games but then I tended to stumble across one I liked at a friend's and then focus on that. One of my all time favorites was Super Castlevania IV for SNES - an example of one where I can whistle all the music because I played it so much.

My first computer in 1996 came with Mechwarrior 2. Fighting giant robots was right up my alley and I was hooked, eagerly getting 3 (the best IMO) and 4 later on. That was the only PC game I played though.

Paul A J Lewis
07-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Do you remember the computer games of The Spy Who Loved Me and The Living Daylights on the Spectrum? Did those games have the last few levels on the cassettes they came on?
I can only remember those games vaguely, Richard, and I never played them on a Spectrum so can't answer your question.

However, I remember being hooked on the LICENCE TO KILL game! :D

Richard O
07-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Can't say I remember the Death Wish or 007 games but then I tended to stumble across one I liked at a friend's and then focus on that. One of my all time favorites was Super Castlevania IV for SNES - an example of one where I can whistle all the music because I played it so much.

Now that was a good SNES game, Super Castlevania IV. The Super Nintendo's control pad was straightforward, and like with The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, it made navigating through the game enjoyable. Only played bits of Super Castlevania IV, but I just liked the look of this more compared to later Castlevania games (even when the graphics in the later games would be more impressive).

Enjoyed playing GoldenEye very much on the N64, but when I go back and play the game the control pad is very awkward to use. Didn't that Bond game from a few years ago, where Sir Sean Connery voiced Bond in the game.

Richard O
07-30-2012, 06:18 PM
I can only remember those games vaguely, Richard, and I never played them on a Spectrum so can't answer your question.

However, I remember being hooked on the LICENCE TO KILL game! :D

Vaguely remember the Licence to Kill game. Was the Kenworth tanker chase from the film a level in the game?

The FMV games have their haters, but I loved playing Mad Dog McCree on the PC. In recent years this FMV game and it's sequel, along with Who Shot Johnny Rock? have been re-released for the PC at a budget price.

Paul A J Lewis
07-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Yep, there was a level in LICENCE TO KILL in which you had to force the other tankers off the road. Great fun :D

Richard O
07-31-2012, 08:07 AM
Yep, there was a level in LICENCE TO KILL in which you had to force the other tankers off the road. Great fun :D

Was it released on many formats back then? Amiga, Amstrad, Commodore, Spectrum?