PDA

View Full Version : any new news on TIm Lucas's Bava book?

Aaron G
12-17-2005, 05:59 PM
He hasn't posted jack-shit since October, and was wondering if there were any bowel movements on this thing (though might hafta wait until all the Xmas holidays).

I'm also vaguley curious to know how many pre-orders he's got stocked up?

Ian Miller
12-17-2005, 06:17 PM
Well, now he's decided that he needs to do an actual filmogrophy, because, although he had originally figured that the actual text would serve as just that, he realized that if he didn't, someone would take his work and make their own. As for wht that means in terms of street date, I dunno, but he updates his blog nearly every day, so check it!

http://www.videowatchdog.com/home/home.html

Aaron G
12-18-2005, 05:55 AM
yeah but he seems to *never* mentioning the effing book!

Anthony Thorne
12-19-2005, 06:05 PM
I've ordered the book and have been waiting a long while for it myself, but it's worth mentioning that TL is usually pretty quick to respond to questions if you email him directly.

I'd guess that things aren't yet finished, otherwise he would have posted about it, but I'm not even going to think about the book any more until they confirm that they're shipping it out - it'll save me a lot of gray hairs and will keep me in a good mood for when it finally does arrive.

Anthony Thorne
01-04-2006, 03:51 AM
Tim Lucas has posted an update on his book's progress at the following link:

http://bavabook.blogspot.com/

He estmates that layout and final attention to matters related to putting the book together will take up until the end of March to complete, and subsequent printing will push the book's release date out to at least June 2006, or later.

Aaron G
01-04-2006, 03:59 AM
Shit, I may not have a job by then!

Jari K
01-04-2006, 05:44 AM
I actually don´t mind the wait (I also pre-paid the book) if it´s making the book better, and full and proper isolated filmography sounds essential to me.

But of course he has to "let it go" at some point, and that could be hard. But that´s why we have street dates and dealines. ;)

Jari K
01-04-2006, 05:49 AM
(double post) Goddamn "internal error".

John Short
01-04-2006, 04:30 PM
I preordered the book about 5 years ago. I'm confident it will be well worth the wait as Bava is one of the best, and Tim Lucas is a great writer. Anyone who reads VW knows that he and Donna have altered the schedule of the magazine to do their best to finish the book. At least we know it won't be rushed and half-assed. He's been working on it for 30 years, what will a few more months hurt?

Troy Howarth
01-04-2006, 04:33 PM
To play devil's advocate, not everybody is as patient as John (which is an admirable characteristic) and, as such, I can well understand why people who've plunked down cash are getting irritated. I'm sure it will be a wonderful book, but I'm equally sure that Lucas - an excellent writer and a credit to the frequently corrupt and borderline psychotic world of fandom - is having difficulties in just letting the damn thing see the light of day. It's a tough situation - on the one hand, he's been at it so long that it's become an indellible part of him; similarly, his critics will blast him to hell and back if he makes any errors - but one that will ultimately resolve itself.

Jari K
01-04-2006, 05:29 PM
I think that some director (Peter Jackson lately, but not originally) once said, that "film is never finished, only time is running out" (or similar).

I think they should just announce the 100% final day when the book will be out, and stick to it.

Jonny Redman
01-04-2006, 06:42 PM
I've pre-paid for the the book. I'm happy to wait for it.

Better to have pre-ordered it at the low price and wait until it's published than to not pre-pay for it and pay the higher price when it is published. ;)

It'll be worth the wait.

Patience. Is a virtue.

Who among the early pre-order people will get their names printed in the book as one of the 'patrons'? It'll be interesting to see how many DVDManiacs get their names printed in the book...

Aaron G
01-04-2006, 07:09 PM
I think that some director (Peter Jackson lately, but not originally) once said, that "film is never finished, only time is running out" (or similar).

I think they should just announce the 100% final day when the book will be out, and stick to it.

I agree with this. Deadlines are a part of modern life, especially with money involved. The fact that people ordered this FIVE YEARS ago is kinda mind boggling. But then its a shtinky fanboy labour-of-love endeavour not a professional one, so I guess I'll hafta wait as long as the geeks did (25+ years?) until they finally made a Lord of the RIngs movie or something....

Jonny Redman
01-04-2006, 07:28 PM
I agree with this. Deadlines are a part of modern life, especially with money involved. The fact that people ordered this FIVE YEARS ago is kinda mind boggling. But then its a shtinky fanboy labour-of-love endeavour not a professional one, so I guess I'll hafta wait as long as the geeks did (25+ years?) until they finally made a Lord of the RIngs movie or something....

I agree with you in a way Aaron. Some guys have had the Bava Book on pre-order for literally years more than I have. I only pre-paid for the book about a year ago. It's frustrating. I really think though that patience will be the virtue as regards this book. If we're having this same conversaion this time next year then I'll be the first person to join you on the trip to Video Watchdog land to personally ask Tim where the book is...

Damian P
01-04-2006, 08:01 PM
I could not help but chuckle when I heard Lucas' quick book pitch on the DANGER: DIABOLIK DVD commentary. He said "coming out soon" or something like that.
I pre-ordered the book about 2 years ago. This past Summer I dropped out and asked for a refund. A check was sent to me most promptly.

Last I heard the book weighs around 10lbs. I admire Bava but I just don't need to know that much about his world.

John Short
01-04-2006, 08:55 PM
"Borderline psychotic world of fandom". That's great, Troy! You're a heck of a writer yourself!

I had a friend who bailed out on Tim's Bava book a year or two ago, so I definitely understand about promptly wanting what you pay for. He'll be begging to borrow mine before it's over! I've been a subscriber to VW (off and on, money permitting) for about 12 years now and have never had trouble with them. If it were anyone else I might be a little less patient. :)

Troy Howarth
01-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks, John. My comment is based on experience, sad to say - a great deal of fandom is a very unpleasant place to be. Lucas and I had our difficulties for a while, but we're on good terms now - he's really an island of sanity compared to some of the individuals I've encountered and, crucially, he's a very good writer.

John Short
01-06-2006, 01:14 AM
I'm ashamed to admit that I've done some time as a crazy, elitist fanboy myself. I've definitely tried to mend my ways because that's not what loving something is all about.

Jason S
04-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Looks like the latest update is an estimated October-November 2006 release. Over a year after the "final" street date.

I know this book will be worth it, but it's taking soooooo long..... If it was anyone else I would have bailed a long time again, but it is getting irritating from a customer standpoint.

Plus, I kinda miss Video Watchdog on this new parred down schedule.

Aaron G
04-02-2006, 08:11 PM
"Borderline psychotic world of fandom". That's great, Troy! You're a heck of a writer yourself!

:)

why do ya think they call this place DVD MANIACS?

But I totally understand yr point (who stole my Mellaril 'scrip ?) :p

Ronnie Sortor
04-03-2006, 06:41 PM
I had a friend who bailed out on Tim's Bava book a year or two ago

That friend was me. Like Damien P, I ran out of patience after waiting for three years and was promptly refunded after emailing them. Wish I could've collected the interest that was lost. I can't help but wonder how much money Mr. Lucas is making just in interest payments from all the cash he's collected over the years from preorders for this perpetual project.. Hopefully, it's been wisely invested so that if/when he finally gets done he can take Donna on a nice long vacation... ;)

Matt A
04-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Mr. Lucas is riding on a lot of well deserved good will with this project. I can only imagine that the folks who are asking for refunds are few and far between and I, having ordered the damn monster the same month pre-orders were announced, personally don't care about the money aspect of it anymore. No one forced me to send him my cash. The offer came along and I took him up on it. I think that the major gripe here is that he allowed pre-orders so early in the first place, a mistake he's willfully acknowledged. If no one had been given the chance to buy this book 5 years ago you would hear some grumbling about the delays, but certainly not as much.

I do have to admit that I was initially a little pissed when Tim started advertsing his new novel. My first thought was, "You're putting aside this book that people have already shelled out cash for so you can work on another one?" However, he has said that he began writing it only after he had finished the bulk of the Bava book, which at that point was in Donna's hands for the layout, and he needed to take his mind off of Mario for a while.

Here's a thought: Just imagine how much longer he could be spending on this labour of love if he didn't have pre-paying customers to worry about. Without us breathing down his neck he could be working on this thing forever.

Now, if we could just get Tim to quit using Charlie Largent's hideous covers for VW I'll be cool. ;)

Damian P
04-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Now, if we could just get Tim to quit using Charlie Largent's hideous covers for VW I'll be cool. ;)

Ouch.

Charlie's made some cool covers but I must admit that I found some to be rather lackluster.

I did drop out on this book and I don't regret doing so. I wish Lucas the best with it but as I have stated elsewhere, I don't need to know 10lbs worth of information about Bava and his films.
When I initally ordered it I was psyched to read it but so much time has passed that my interests have gone elsewhere.

Matt A
04-03-2006, 07:54 PM
I did drop out on this book and I don't regret doing so. I wish Lucas the best with it but as I have stated elsewhere, I don't need to know 10lbs worth of information about Bava and his films.

I can completely understand that. I think that what I'm looking forward to most are the poster reproductions. If this book is even slightly on the level of the Fulci book, Beyond Terror, and I imagine it will be, it will be worth it to me for that alone. I enjoy quite a few of Bava's films and I know that Tim has dug deep to get alot of the info for this book so I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

Ouch.

Charlie's made some cool covers but I must admit that I found some to be rather lackluster.

Yeah, I can't stand his work. I even emailed Tim about it and he wasn't too happy with my opinion. I had always just figured, "Eh. I'm not buying this mag for it's covers" but then Largent did a review of CLASH OF THE TITANS where he had the nerve to decry the "cheesiness" of the multi-colored effects in some scenes and I couldn't believe it. Largent's covers are the definition of garish and "cheesy". When I told Tim this you'd have thought I'd called Largent a Nazi or something. Don't cross the boss. :p

Damian P
04-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Yeah, I can't stand his work. I even emailed Tim about it and he wasn't too happy with my opinion. I had always just figured, "Eh. I'm not buying this mag for it's covers" but then Largent did a review of CLASH OF THE TITANS where he had the nerve to decry the "cheesiness" of the multi-colored effects in some scenes and I couldn't believe it. Largent's covers are the definition of garish and "cheesy". When I told Tim this you'd have thought I'd called Largent a Nazi or something. Don't cross the boss. :p

Tim stands by his team. If I recall right, Lucas lamented the fact that Largent wasn't nominated for a Rondo award even though the magazine has won the award many times.

As for the Bava book, I too would like to have the reproductions of so many rare stills, cards and posters but my pockets no longer permit such extravagance.

Ian Miller
04-03-2006, 08:10 PM
What are your guys opinion of the recent MATANGO cover? The colors are funky, but the image was nice.

Damian P
04-03-2006, 08:15 PM
What are your guys opinion of the recent MATANGO cover? The colors are funky, but the image was nice.

Looks decent to me. The color scheme is so-so. To be honest I liked the covers better when they were limited to one or two colors.

Matt A
04-03-2006, 08:25 PM

Well, here's my question: what exactly is he doing to these pictures? I asked Tim Lucas this and he got steamed because I had implied that Largent was simply throwing stills into Photoshop and adding funky colors. Tim said that Largent does much more to these photos than fiddle with them on his computer (although he didn't give up any evidence to the contrary) but I work in the prepress department of a digital print shop and if these aren't Photoshopped then I should have my eyes checked.

I thought that his EYES WITHOUT A FACE cover was completely overshadowed by the original advertising artwork that graced the inside cover of that issue. Largent, IMO, had used the clone tool in Photoshop to reproduce a bird in the backgound, flipping it once, and I felt it was really tacky.

*Image below was taken from the Video Watchdog site.

Ian Miller
04-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Looks decent to me. The color scheme is so-so. To be honest I liked the covers better when they were limited to one or two colors.

Not much can beat the mid 90's covers, but that's just nostalgia, I guess. I LIKE THE OLD FORMAT! There, I said it!

Damian P
04-03-2006, 08:34 PM
I too hated the birds on the EYES WITHOUT A FACE cover. Looks like cheap furniture.

Ian Miller
04-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Well, here's my question: what exactly is he doing to these pictures? I asked Tim Lucas this and he got steamed because I had implied that Largent was simply throwing stills into Photoshop and adding funky colors. Tim said that Largent does much more to these photos than fiddle with them on his computer (although he didn't give up any evidence to the contrary) but I work in the prepress department of a digital print shop and if these aren't Photoshopped then I should have my eyes checked.

I thought that his EYES WITHOUT A FACE cover was completely overshadowed by the original advertising artwork that graced the inside cover of that issue. Largent, IMO, had used the clone tool in Photoshop to reproduce a bird in the backgound, flipping it once, and I felt it was really tacky.

*Image below was taken from the Video Watchdog site.

Without the birds, it's not a bad cover (with, it looks like a religious postcard, with that light blue color scheme), but Photoshop definitely comes to mind.

Damian P
04-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Not much can beat the mid 90's covers, but that's just nostalgia, I guess. I LIKE THE OLD FORMAT! There, I said it!

HA, same here. I took a lashing for saying so on Mobius a couple of years ago.

Aaron G
04-03-2006, 08:38 PM
I understand how everyone is getting shitted about the wait, me included, but it's not like he's done nothing and done a runner, I mean there's always those page scans on his site you can print out and read on the toilet if you want...

Matt A
04-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Without the birds, it's not a bad cover (with, it looks like a religious postcard, with that light blue color scheme), but Photoshop definitely comes to mind.

The still that was used for that cover is reproduced in the text of that article. Seeing them side-by-side makes me think "colorization". Sort of "What if Ted Turner got his hands on some Euro-Horror?"

Jason S
04-03-2006, 08:56 PM
I do have to admit that I was initially a little pissed when Tim started advertsing his new novel. My first thought was, "You're putting aside this book that people have already shelled out cash for so you can work on another one?"

I had the same reaction. However I actually sent an email to Mr. Lucas expressing my reaction.

Boy, did I get an earfull.

Regarding the VW covers, I don't care for the newer style either. Although the Matango cover is kinda nice, however I fucking hate the back cover with the butterflies. I think Varan is in there someone. :p

Justin Frank
04-04-2006, 12:24 AM

I don't know if Largent is the one responsible for the Bava Book cover shown on the update page, but I think it stinks. A color still from BLACK SUNDAY is novel, but it hardly epitomizes Bava's work. Besides that, the fonts and the lay-out are just...lame. I think they need to outsource the dust-jacket design, it deserves better. MUCH better.

Fred C. Dobbs
04-04-2006, 03:25 AM
I don't think Lucas takes any kind of criticism well. Check out his blog from last week about the whole Complete Mr. Arkadin thing. That said, it doesn't prevent me from picking up Video Watchdog each month....or every other month as he becomes Sisyphus and rolls that Bava boulder up the hill.

Matt A
04-04-2006, 02:33 PM
I don't know if Largent is the one responsible for the Bava Book cover shown on the update page, but I think it stinks. A color still from BLACK SUNDAY is novel, but it hardly epitomizes Bava's work. Besides that, the fonts and the lay-out are just...lame. I think they need to outsource the dust-jacket design, it deserves better. MUCH better.

I'm fairly certain that Largent did design that cover. I remember that when it was unveiled Lucas said something along the lines of "...and that's real color...". I took that to mean that this was an actual color still taken on set, although, to me, it looks as if it is another "Charlie Largent Special". I could be wrong.

But, I agree with you, Justin. It doesn't grab me either.

Jonny Redman
04-04-2006, 05:22 PM
OOhhh Kay! I just spent the last 40 minutes typing out a rant about Tim Lucas and Charlie Largent.

Took a smoke break, had a glass of wine...

Charlie Largent is a graphic design genius! Can't wait to read Tim's Bava book.

Jonny Redman
04-04-2006, 05:26 PM
I feel almost compelled to go to Donnie Dunagan's website (http://www.donniedunagan.com/) and buy a signed picture of Bambi...

Justin Frank
04-05-2006, 12:21 AM
I'm fairly certain that Largent did design that cover. I remember that when it was unveiled Lucas said something along the lines of "...and that's real color...". I took that to mean that this was an actual color still taken on set, although, to me, it looks as if it is another "Charlie Largent Special". I could be wrong.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I believe it is an actual color still, though...

Matt A
04-05-2006, 11:40 AM
OOhhh Kay! I just spent the last 40 minutes typing out a rant about Tim Lucas and Charlie Largent.

Let's read it. Don't let that 40 minutes go to waste, unless its too nasty, of course. :rolleyes:

Jari K
10-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Have you seen this update?:
http://www.bavabook.blogspot.com/

October 03, 2006

"It took me a couple of weeks to read through the book, checking the red lines and making my final text corrections, but I'm happy to report that Donna was able to whip through them all in less than two days. In other words, over 1000 pages of the book are now "text-ready." She's now on to preparing the corrected front and back matter for my final look-over and continuing to finalize the photos.

We've accepted the blank book dummy sent to us by our HK printer, approving the new paper weight and binding. We've cut back on the paper weight so that the final book will weigh 12 pounds, as opposed to the previously stated 14-15 pounds; we decided that the book was simply too heavy at that earlier weight to be a pleasure to handle, so we went for a thinner paper --thinner, but without conspicuous bleed-through. This new version is more easily handled; it feels good to hold it, or rest it in one's lap, and turn the pages. Donna also grabbed it by one of the covers and shook the hell out of it, and it stood up to the abuse -- not bad for a book with a 12-pound interior. (Even so, we don't recommend that you try this at home!)

As mentioned before, the next step after the front and back matter are finalized is to send the printer a test printing of select pages. Once we approve what comes back, we finalize by attaching the color profiles and off it goes."

Over 1000 pages (!) sounds great, but WHEN it´s coming!!?? ;)

Scott Ruhl
10-18-2006, 12:07 PM

Largent's coloring and design sucks, and I agree that the Bava Book cover looks like a "colored" still, not a color still taken from the set. Whatever, it's the inside that matters to me, Bava is the talent I'm interested in, not some squares pushing a glorified fanzine. I must be a big fan of Tim's writing to look past such tacky looking material.

Aaron G
10-18-2006, 08:21 PM
He cucks around so much on his Blog, what with 1000-2000 posting, makes you wonder the time he spends on that he could be doing the bloomin' Bava book!

He said we'd get these around Xmas2006, that's only 2 months away. Looks like we'll prolly get it for Pesach 2007!

Jonny Redman
10-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Something that has bugged me for a while now is why Tim chose to use an almost exact same image for the cover of his book that was used before on Troy's book?

Tim's book...
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/8053/bavabooklp1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Troy's book...
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/2430/fab037nh8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I've not got a problem at all with Tim's choice of cover design, just if I was putting out a book on Mario Bava and knowing that there was already one out there, I'd choose a different image for the cover.

Aaron G
10-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Ah, but you see, Tim has COLOURIZED it!

Jonny Redman
10-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Ah, but you see, Tim has COLOURIZED it!

:D

Nitpicking about the cover aside, I can't wait to get this book. God only knows what UK customs are going to make of this 10lb monster of a book.

Aaron G
10-18-2006, 10:10 PM

Nitpicking about the cover aside, I can't wait to get this book. God only knows what UK customs are going to make of this 10lb monster of a book.

Fuck 'em you paid for it! You reckon they'll make an issue?

Fred Adelman
10-18-2006, 10:19 PM

Don't worry. By the time this book ships, we'll be able teleport it right into our homes! :D

Justin Frank
10-18-2006, 11:45 PM
This book deserves so much better. This is going to be the genre book of the decade, if not the last fifty years. I e-mailed them and explained as much as I politely could - I got a polite response in return. It's just a damned shame, like wrapping your wife's Christmas present in newspaper...

Ehren H.
10-19-2006, 02:19 AM
I had heard rumblings of this book, but knew nothing about the size, and how long people have been waiting....that being said..."Introduction by Martin Scorsese" and "Forward by Riccardo Freda"...that is pretty damn impressive! If Marty is adding his name to it, you know the contents are freakin amazing!

Jonny Redman
04-03-2007, 10:03 AM
It's finished!

More info HERE (http://bavabook.blogspot.com/2007/03/finalmente.html)

Richard Owen
04-03-2007, 10:24 AM
About fucking time too. Perhaps if he didn't post such epic-sized blogs every day then it would have been finished a long time ago.

Scott Ruhl
04-03-2007, 10:40 AM
I take it this is the final design for the cover?:
http://www.videowatchdog.com/bava/bavabook.jpg
(Taken from VIDEO WATCHBLOG BLOG)

Now THIS is how you do a Mario Bava book cover:
http://www.fabpress.com/artwork/large/FAB036.jpg

Aaron D.
04-03-2007, 12:08 PM
About fucking time too. Perhaps if he didn't post such epic-sized blogs every day then it would have been finished a long time ago.

I love how you have the balls to write that, and then the footer for your post reads "Stop thinking - start drinking" !!

Ah, fandom.

Richard Owen
04-03-2007, 12:11 PM
It didn't take much balls to be honest. I reckon I could take Tim Lucas.

Troy Howarth
04-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Looks like I'll have to order a copy - I didn't want to place an order while it was still in limbo.

dave hartley
04-03-2007, 12:36 PM
I did wonder if the blog entry was an April Fools joke - not one day early but 364 days late.

Damian P
04-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Damn, someone on Amazon thinks highly of Troy's book. They want $168.00 for it. I knew I should have stocked up.

Troy Howarth
04-03-2007, 03:13 PM
$168? Worth every penny! :D

Lefteris T
04-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Martin Scorcese introduction? That makes things even more interesting. I wonder what he has to say about Bava!

Troy Howarth
04-03-2007, 06:57 PM
He's a huge Bava fan and has mentioned him at various points down the years. Cape Fear includes some fairly direct references to his work, for example.

mark t
04-03-2007, 07:47 PM
He's a huge Bava fan and has mentioned him at various points down the years. Cape Fear includes some fairly direct references to his work, for example.

Not that I know shit about Bava, aside from seeing Bay of Blood or whatever it's called, but how come there are 2 covers for the book by Pops Howarth? Different publishers? different editions?

I will say that different or not, if the first Howarth cover is that similar to the Lucas book, I'd consider a bloody plagiarism suit, Scorcese intro or not.

Troy Howarth
04-03-2007, 07:49 PM
The Barbara Steele cover was for the softcover edition; the Karloff one was for the hardcover.

mark t
04-03-2007, 07:51 PM
The Barbara Steele cover was for the softcover edition; the Karloff one was for the hardcover.

The Steele one is quite close though, no? Sorry, Troy, obviously don't want to put you in a position where you might have to say something derogatory, but they are a little too similar....of course, yours IS 168 dollars... :D

Troy Howarth
04-03-2007, 11:03 PM
I couldn't comment on this matter even if I wanted to - coincidences are not uncommon.

mark t
04-03-2007, 11:06 PM
coincidences are not uncommon.

Of course they're not....how many movies, how many frames....there are only so many to choose from.....

Linn Haynes
04-03-2007, 11:22 PM
But you could also argue that it's one of, if not the, most well known images created by Bava in his entire career. It makes perfect sense for a cover. As for plagerism, is that even possible with a photo?

Troy Howarth
04-03-2007, 11:29 PM
It's not plagiarism - I never said it was, so I hope nobody starts putting words into my mouth.

My cover is from a poster for Black Sunday; Tim's is a color photo, which is very rare. It is indeed an iconic image.

mark t
04-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Never would dream of putting words into Troy's mouth....just find it interesting (and having prefaced this with the statement that I'm not entirely familiar with Bava's films) that the two cover images are THAT similar.

the plagiarism comment was predominantly smartass, by the way.

Troy Howarth
04-04-2007, 12:34 AM
Not a problem, Mark - you mean well, and I know that. It's just that comments like that have a tendency to travel and get distorted, if you know what I mean. Lucas' book is going to be a major event - if the cover looks similar, so be it; the aim is to pay tribute to Bava, and I'm proud to have played a role in that.

Fred Adelman
04-04-2007, 01:09 AM
I am a proud owner of Troy's book. When I first joined this board almost a year ago, Troy's Bava thread got me interested in his work again. I managed to get one of the few remaining copies off of Amazon before the price shot up to where it is now. After reading Mr. Howarth's book all I can say is Lucas has his work cut out for him.

Twelve pounds is too heavy for a book. I know Horace is going to need some kind of jack to hold up his copy (although I hear his right hand if kind of strong from slapping his bishop). Lucas should have published it in two volumes. This way we could have read the first volume two years ago and have been ready for the second volume. The sheer weight of the book is probably going to cause a lot of people to read it a few pages at a time, put it down, get their wind back and then start reading it again. Fat people can lose weight while reading it.

Skinny people will probably die. Sorry, Horace! :D

Horace Cordier
04-04-2007, 01:16 AM
I am a proud owner of Troy's book. When I first joined this board almost a year ago, Troy's Bava thread got me interested in his work again. I managed to get one of the few remaining copies off of Amazon before the price shot up to where it is now. After reading Mr. Howarth's book all I can say is Lucas has his work cut out for him.

Twelve pounds is too heavy for a book. I know Horace is going to need some kind of jack to hold up his copy (although I hear his right hand if kind of strong from slapping his bishop). Lucas should have published it in two volumes. This way we could have read the first volume two years ago and have been ready for the second volume. The sheer weight of the book is probably going to cause a lot of people to read it a few pages at a time, put it down, get their wind back and then start reading it again. Fat people can lose weight while reading it.

Skinny people will probably die. Sorry, Horace! :D

I handle 3-4 raging Rottweilers at once on a daily basis. I think I can handle the Lucas book.

I like big heavy books - as long as the binding is strong. I also agree with one volume - I want all the info in one package.

Aaron G
04-04-2007, 07:34 PM
This Bible(Old & New)+Quoran+Crime&Punishment sized tome is gonna bed awkward to read in bed before you go to sleep at night. You reckon Lucas will bring out a soft-cover version?

Matt A
04-04-2007, 07:52 PM
I take it this is the final design for the cover?:
http://www.videowatchdog.com/bava/bavabook.jpg
(Taken from VIDEO WATCHBLOG BLOG)

I absolutely hate that rainbow coloring. Unnecessary and cheap.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/matthewallison/Mario20Bava20Book-L.jpg

Nadeem Ali
04-04-2007, 08:40 PM
the colouring is kinda corny..

Vincent Pereira
04-04-2007, 09:15 PM

Scorsese mentions his love of Bava in his commentary on the Criterion laserdisc of TAXI DRIVER, too.

Vincent

Damian P
04-04-2007, 09:32 PM

Another Charlie Largent cover I'm afraid. I just don't see what Lucas sees in the fella.

Scott Ruhl
04-04-2007, 09:39 PM

But it's ALL OF THE COLOURS get it? ALL of 'em.

Arif Khan
04-04-2007, 09:57 PM
But it's ALL OF THE COLOURS get it? ALL of 'em.
Yes, Scott. We do understand the reasoning behind it, but that does not make it any better.

Jari K
04-05-2007, 04:01 AM
Mr. Lucas - if you´re reading this: Please add the LOWER value to the package when you ship the book in Europe! Around 35$ is good value. I have waited too long, just to pay the custom charges. ;)

Thanks!

Troy Howarth
04-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Scorsese mentions his love of Bava in his commentary on the Criterion laserdisc of TAXI DRIVER, too.

Vincent

The presentation of the devil as an angelic looking girl in white is also an homage to the ghost child in Kill, Baby... Kill!, one of Scorsese's favorites.

Steve P.
04-05-2007, 08:29 AM
When I preordered the book 7 or 8 years ago, I seem to remember that there was going to be a page or two containing all the names of people who preordered. Is this still true or was I dreaming?

Richard Owen
04-05-2007, 08:58 AM
He did say that, yes.

Scott Ruhl
04-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Yes, Scott. We do understand the reasoning behind it, but that does not make it any better.

I know, I'm just being a wisenhymer. :D

Jonny Redman
04-05-2007, 06:54 PM
When I preordered the book 7 or 8 years ago, I seem to remember that there was going to be a page or two containing all the names of people who preordered. Is this still true or was I dreaming?

As far as I know this is still true.

Nadeem Ali
04-05-2007, 07:54 PM
That means I could be famous :D Woo Woo!

Damian P
04-05-2007, 08:18 PM

According to the Bava blog those who pre-ordered will get such an honor.

Troy Howarth
04-06-2007, 01:46 AM
What is the cut-off point for this list? Just curious.

Aaron D.
04-06-2007, 04:49 PM
the colouring is kinda corny..

Yeah I agree. That rainbow font of the title is pretty silly.

It's funny, I can't think of anything more I support than this kind of self-published lifetime dream project, but I also can't help but flinch a little at the design of the cover. To me, Charlie Largent, the guy responsible for Video Watchdog's covers, has a notably poor eye (and an even worse writing style when he's been allowed to write for the magazine).

But of course, this sort of comes part and parcel with these unique, homegrown projects -- Lucas may night have an eye for what makes good design, but he damn well has an authoritive voice when it comes to Bava. I've been waiting for a decade for this book, and design be damned, you know it's going to be a wealth of information that I'll be able to turn to for decades to come. I mean, how long is it even going to take to read the damned thing, it's so long???

Matt A
04-06-2007, 05:23 PM
To me, Charlie Largent, the guy responsible for Video Watchdog's covers, has a notably poor eye (and an even worse writing style when he's been allowed to write for the magazine).

I never cared for Largent's VW covers but had not felt the need to complain until he reviewed CLASH OF THE TITANS and had the nerve to deride the supposedly garish visual effects. This coming from a designer who seems to attempt to use every color in the spectrum in each of his covers. Give me a break. I believe it was also Largent who reviewed AMELIE and blasted the filmmakers for using computer enhancement to achieve the look of the film. Don't like that computer fuckery, huh? Right.

Donna Lucas is, I believe, solely responsible for the interiors for this book and what I've seen so far has resembled the design of the magazine. It's neat and competent, but hardly innovative. I remember when the first all-color issue of VW came out and she felt compelled to add color to every single inch of that magazine. She's dialed it down a bit since then but I hope she showed a little more restraint with the Bava book.

Lucas may night have an eye for what makes good design, but he damn well has an authoritive voice when it comes to Bava. I've been waiting for a decade for this book, and design be damned, you know it's going to be a wealth of information...

I have to say though, when putting together what could very well be the most exhaustively in-depth book on a filmmaker who is known primarily for being a supreme VISUAL STYLIST you may want to try to match your subject's aesthetic integrity. It's like going to a fashion consultant who's wearing a Member's Only jacket and Crocs.

Troy Howarth
04-06-2007, 09:03 PM
I like the cover well enough - I'm not crazy about the rainbow coloring of the letters, but it doesn't bug me that much.

The old adage, however, is don't judge a book by its cover. In terms of content, I'm certain it will be a winner.

Damian P
04-06-2007, 09:44 PM

I don't know. The offer was advertised as a limited opportunity but that was years ago. It may still stand. One can always email Lucas. He's pretty good about answering letters.

Troy Howarth
04-07-2007, 01:38 AM
Thanks, Damian - I was just curious. I know Lucas is very busy these days and, as such, I haven't even felt comfortable sending an email to congratulate him about the book.

Justin Frank
04-07-2007, 08:31 PM

I don't know exactly, but it was a long time ago

Kristian R
04-08-2007, 01:36 AM
Looking at this album cover makes me wonder if Largent or Lucas are Dolly Parton fans...

http://www.amazon.com/Coat-Many-Colors-Dolly-Parton/dp/B000GG4XHE/ref=pd_bxgy_m_text_b/103-4525624-8083037?ie=UTF8&qid=1176009996&sr=1-2

Harvey C
04-08-2007, 01:53 AM
I expect the book costs more than the budget for some of Bava's movies.

Aaron D.
04-09-2007, 01:51 AM
Looking at this album cover makes me wonder if Largent or Lucas are Dolly Parton fans...

http://www.amazon.com/Coat-Many-Colors-Dolly-Parton/dp/B000GG4XHE/ref=pd_bxgy_m_text_b/103-4525624-8083037?ie=UTF8&qid=1176009996&sr=1-2

I'd buy that album if it featured a painting of Dolly Parton getting her face hammered with a mask made of nails.

Matt A
04-09-2007, 11:06 AM
I'd buy that album if it featured a painting of Dolly Parton getting her face hammered with a mask made of nails.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/matthewallison/B000GG4XHE_01__SCLZZZZZZZ_V43705831.jpg

Scott Ruhl
04-09-2007, 11:17 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/matthewallison/B000GG4XHE_01__SCLZZZZZZZ_V43705831.jpg

Haha, nice. There should be two masks, one fu'r each tit.

Kristian R
04-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Nice job Toy Boy. :)

Aaron G
04-11-2007, 04:43 AM
I like the cover well enough - I'm not crazy about the rainbow coloring of the letters, but it doesn't bug me that much.

The old adage, however, is don't judge a book by its cover. In terms of content, I'm certain it will be a winner.

I don't have a problem with the 'rainbow' lettering at all, considering how psychadelically colourful Bava's films are..But I dunno, maybe I'm gay or something..?

But seriously I've been waiting so effing long for this fershtinkener book to arrive, 1. I hope it doesn't rain the day it slams on my doorstep, and 2. It's such a massive and expensive and 'collector scum' designed product, I'll probablly be too anal to read it without surgical gloves so I don't get fingerprints (and other discharges) on the glossy pages, let alone open the [i]effing] thing more than 10cms so the spine doesn't bend and get creased or something..! I mean, I don't wanna hafta buy ANOTHER ONE! :p

Jonathan Daniels
04-11-2007, 01:27 PM
It's such a massive and expensive and 'collector scum' designed product, I'll probablly be too anal to read it without surgical gloves so I don't get fingerprints (and other discharges) on the glossy pages, let alone open the [i]effing] thing more than 10cms so the spine doesn't bend and get creased or something..! I mean, I don't wanna hafta buy ANOTHER ONE! :p

That sounds like the way I read my BEYOND TERROR book!

Well, I don't use any surgical gloves but I'm still very careful with it. I try not to crack it open too wide and I turn the pages very gently. It's absolutely ridiculous! I'm sure I'll be even worse with Tim's book. When I take it out to read, it's going to be like an archeologist handling an ancient manuscript! I'll be turning pages with tweezers while wearing rubber gloves and a hairnet. :D

At twelve pounds, the book will probably be a little too heavy to read without supporting it with something underneath. My wrist will probably not be happy with the strain if I read it any other way. Usually while reading heavier books, I sit with a pillow under the book to make the experience a little more comfortable. I sound like such a wuss. :D

By the way, I actually like the cover. The rainbow lettering is a little distracting (reminds me of the Google logo) but it's not that bad.

Ingolf Eskedahl
04-11-2007, 04:26 PM
The book is probably great, but the cover is just not good. It looks cheap, like someone who´s taking ground course in graphic design, and got an F.

I prefer the cover of Troys book, and yeah, I kiss ass... ;)

Troy Howarth
04-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks, Ingolf. For the record, the Steele cover wasn't my choice for the softcover - I really wanted to use the Italian poster for Whip, with Lavi in the foreground holding the rose as Lee lurks in the back bathed in green. I was absolutely thrilled with the hardcover design, however.

Ingolf Eskedahl
04-11-2007, 04:59 PM
you´r welcome, and yeah, I only got the softcover, still, great reading, .
What was the hardback looking like by the way?

Scott Ruhl
04-11-2007, 05:17 PM
What was the hardback looking like by the way?
http://www.fabpress.com/artwork/large/FAB036.jpg

:)

Ingolf Eskedahl
04-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Arrh, was a bit bit fast, asking that question, but thanx anyway scott, and yeah,
Now THIS is how you do a Mario Bava book cover.......... :)

Tim Mayer
04-11-2007, 05:25 PM
I think he should write a biography of Barbara Steele. :)

Jonathan Daniels
04-11-2007, 05:35 PM
I think he should write a biography of Barbara Steele. :)

I'm betting that as long as this book is, we'll at least be getting a mini bio of her. :D

Jonny Redman
04-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Have you seen how big the book is going to be?

It's HUGE!! (http://bavabook.blogspot.com/)

stephen grimes
04-18-2007, 04:32 PM
Have you seen how big the book is going to be?

It's HUGE!! (http://bavabook.blogspot.com/)
Whoah!That's some size!Anyone know the postage costs to Europe for this baby and will it be available to buy in say Borders,Waterstones etc?Thanks.

Kristian R
04-18-2007, 04:43 PM
I like how he uses the ghetto rainbow effect on the spine as well. :D

I'm going to wait until Lucas actually has the final product in hand before I finally order. I fully expect the publisher to go up in flames or the boat/plane with the final shipment to sink/crash before this is all over.

Troy Howarth
04-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Pre-ordering ensures you won't be charged postage, but I don't know if this applies to Europe. Good question about its availability in stores - since Borders stocks their magazine, it's possible...

Jonny Redman
04-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Pre-ordering ensures you won't be charged postage, but I don't know if this applies to Europe.

Same applies to Europe too, if you pre-ordered the book the postage is included, no matter where you live. I'm just hoping they'll tick the 'gift' part on the customs declaration and put the value down as $20 so I can skip the customs VAT and Post Office Handling charges! ;)

Aaron G
04-18-2007, 06:49 PM
It rocks (and weighs like rocks too!)

Justin Frank
06-30-2007, 09:05 AM
11 minute video of Donna and Tim checking out the first two copies of the finished Bava Book: http://www.bavabook.com/Bavabook.WMV

Scott Ruhl
06-30-2007, 09:26 AM
11 minute video of Donna and Tim checking out the first two copies of the finished Bava Book: http://www.bavabook.com/Bavabook.WMV

Thanks for posting that.
It was real nice of them to thank the list of patrons. Looks like a fantastic book and while they were flipping threw it I wished I was flipping through mine. 2 more months..... :)

Justin Frank
06-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks for posting that.
It was real nice of them to thank the list of patrons. Looks like a fantastic book and while they were flipping threw it I wished I was flipping through mine. 2 more months..... :)

You're welcome. I've watched it twice now, it fascinates me to watch them finally get to hold in their hands something they've worked on for 27 years. I can't wait to get my hands on that book -

Lars Erik Holmquist
07-01-2007, 08:21 AM
Really great video! It's heartwarming to see them so happy with their long-gestating "baby". I look forward to getting the book!

But Tim, couldn't you at least have worn some trousers for this important moment, which is now preserved for the ages? ;)

Scott Ruhl
07-01-2007, 11:44 AM
But Tim, couldn't you at least have worn some trousers for this important moment, which is now preserved for the ages? ;)

Ha! I kept thinking the same thing, especially when he crossed his legs. :eek: :D

Aaron G
07-01-2007, 11:48 PM
I found this video kinda queer....

Vincent Pereira
07-02-2007, 12:26 AM
I found this video kinda queer....

Yeah, he's sitting there with his wife and all...

How gay.

Vincent

mark t
07-02-2007, 01:31 AM

How gay.

Vincent

Might be that Australian dialect getting in the way.... :)

Aaron G
07-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Queer doesn't necessarily mean homsexual, just like the word gay...

queer /kwɪər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kweer] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation adjective, -er, -est, verb, noun
–adjective
1. strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint; unusually different; singular: a queer notion of justice.
2. of a questionable nature or character; suspicious; shady: Something queer about the language of the prospectus kept investors away.
3. not feeling physically right or well; giddy, faint, or qualmish: to feel queer.

Scott Ruhl
07-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Hahaha!

Kristian R
07-02-2007, 11:29 AM

How gay.

Vincent

TOTALLY GAY.

adjective 1. having or showing a merry, lively mood.

Vincent Pereira
07-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Donna Lucas certainly seems to be in a gay mood as she opens that box :)

Vincent

mark t
07-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Donna Lucas certainly seems to be in a gay mood as she opens that box :)

Vincent

Crying, i'm laughing so hard. :)

Vincent Pereira
07-02-2007, 11:02 PM
That was a gay response, Mark.

Vincent

Damian P
07-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Ha! I kept thinking the same thing, especially when he crossed his legs. :eek: :D

It was like Basic Instinct but even more wrong. Anyone else have a problem with the audio? I could barely hear it even with the sound jacked all the way up.

That book is just crazy big. I don't need to know that much about myself let alone Bava but kudos to them.

mark t
07-02-2007, 11:12 PM
That was a gay response, Mark.

Vincent

Now being emotional makes you gay?

Piss off! (flits wrist) :)

Mike Howlett
07-03-2007, 08:04 AM
That video made me happy! As someone who's been "writing a book" for about two years so far, I was very interested to see their reactions to the final product. Tim keeps a pretty good poker face, but Donna is giggling and giddy... much more how I would be. Very cute!

I can't wait to get this tome... I paid over 5 years ago!

Fred C. Dobbs
07-04-2007, 12:53 AM
The video makes me happy for the people like Mike who paid for this damn thing 5 years ago.

Aaron G
07-04-2007, 02:59 AM
The video makes me happy for the people like Mike who paid for this damn thing 5 years ago.

..and I paid for it 3 years ago! That 'Rainbow' coloured bookmark looks quite....um...multicoloured :cool: ...but it the book I fuggen want, damn it!!!

Jonny Redman
08-05-2007, 07:24 PM
The book should be shipping by the end of this month.

I'd almost forgotten that I'd pre-ordered this, I paid for it so long ago it's almost like I'll be getting this book for free! I cannot wait!

How long it will take for the US Postal Service to deliver a 12lb book to me in the UK I do not know... I'm expecting a hefty import charge from HM Customs as well, unless Tim and Donna tick the 'Gift' box on the customs declaration form ;)

Richard Owen
08-06-2007, 12:55 AM
The customs bit is scaring the shit out of me too.

Oliver Carter
08-06-2007, 05:29 AM
Has anybody contacted Tim or Donna and asked them about customs declarations for people in the UK? I am considering ordering the book but do not want to face paying an extra £30 or so.

Justin Frank
08-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Has anybody contacted Tim or Donna and asked them about customs declarations for people in the UK? I am considering ordering the book but do not want to face paying an extra £30 or so.

I wouldn't hesitate to drop them a line if I were you -

Garrett Sorensen
08-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Does anyone know the retail price for the book. Tim Lucas's site says that after August 21st it jumps up to $250. Is that the retail?

Steven McLaughlin
08-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Latest update: Released in 2112.

A friend of mine sent his payment in YEARS ago!! Fucking Christ!

Jonny Redman
08-07-2007, 09:17 AM
I was just looking at the HM Customs website and it looks like there would be no point in asking Tim or Donna to tick the gift box...

"Any goods purchased from outside the EC are liable for duty and in some cases VAT. If you have been sent a gift and the value is under £36 you will not be liable, over that amount you will be charged depending on the product. For purchases bought by yourself with a value over £18 you may have to pay duty depending on the product; it may also be liable to VAT. Under that amount you will not be liable"

Graeme C
08-08-2007, 09:46 AM
I haven't double checked this, but I'm pretty sure that books are exempt from duty when importing into the UK. Books are also exempt from VAT in the UK. As long as the customs declaration on the package clearly states that it contains only a book then all should be well. :)

Jonny Redman
08-08-2007, 10:22 AM
I haven't double checked this, but I'm pretty sure that books are exempt from duty when importing into the UK. Books are also exempt from VAT in the UK. As long as the customs declaration on the package clearly states that it contains only a book then all should be well. :)

I think you're right on this Graeme! :cool:

Zack Armstrong
08-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Tim Lucas's site says that after August 21st it jumps up to $250. Is that the retail?

$250? Jesus. I will never own this...

Scott Ruhl
08-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Does anyone know the retail price for the book. Tim Lucas's site says that after August 21st it jumps up to $250. Is that the retail?

I think the only way to get this book is to order it directly from Tim. He says it'll be pre-order price $120 until they recieve them, after that the rest of the stock will be sold $250 (plus shipping *ouch*)!

Linn Haynes
08-08-2007, 11:58 AM
It's $130 with shipping currently and I just placed my order. I actually just got paid for a gig from a while back that I had honestly forgotten about, and that covered it. It''ll be a nice present to myself.

Garrett Sorensen
08-08-2007, 01:42 PM
According to the information below, is he saying that the book will increase in price when he receives it, or on August 21st? This is important for me to know because I have a bet with my wife that if I make 3K in the next 2 weeks then I can get the book, but I wouldn't want to wait if the book could increase before that point

.......Effective upon our receipt of the shipment, the cost of the Bava book on all new orders will be increased to $250 (plus $10 US postage or $40 postage outside the US). Suffice to say, the book developed into something far more ambitious than we realized when we began accepting pre-orders for it over six years ago.

However, not wishing to take anyone by surprise, we will continue to observe the pre-publication price of $120 until the expected delivery date of August 21......

Troy Howarth
08-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Order it soon if you want it for the cheaper price. :)

Aaron G
08-09-2007, 05:21 AM
I bought it on the sorta el-cheapo rate of $110US or something about two and a half years ago..I wouldn't worry too much as I'll bet once he's sold out the hard-cover bricks he'll get it published as a paperback for $70 or something....

Troy Howarth
08-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Simply having it as a softcover wouldn't come close to driving the price down that low, Aaron. It's as expensive as it is because it's massive and it's loaded with color stills - changing the cover to soft won't change that too much. :)

Aaron G
08-09-2007, 10:15 PM
For a project that took him 30 years and will likely be the DEFINITVE book in English on the man, I find it hard to beleive they'll let it go OOP so quickly. I will bet good money he reprints it in some form.

davidf
08-10-2007, 03:24 AM
A friend ordered it in 2000 I think ! But that's fine, each and every order helps the self published book get made, and it's not like they will short change us with the results, even if it took 10 years.

Pre-orders for small runs and self published things are always a bit tricky. I own a record company, and we are currently remastering the first "Christian Death" album "Only theater of Pain" for vinyl reissue, we started about 5 months ago the pre-orders, but are still working on it (it's coming in less than a month). Every customer who pre-ordered is very elegant about the whole thing and there's no hassle at all, they know we aim for a quality release, and that it has setbacks, test pressings, redone press runs etc...
www.seventeenrecords.com

People like Lucas just try to make their dream come true, so even if 130 $ is not 15 $, I believe all the people who pre-ordered helped this one become a reality. I myself cannot wait.

Troy Howarth
08-10-2007, 07:14 AM
For a project that took him 30 years and will likely be the DEFINITVE book in English on the man, I find it hard to beleive they'll let it go OOP so quickly. I will bet good money he reprints it in some form.

I'm sure he will - I just don't think you should put too much hope on it being at such a cut-rate price. The book is pricey, it's true, but when you look at the sheer bulk and depth of it, I'd say it's worth it.

Garrett Sorensen
08-20-2007, 06:37 PM
A day away from the estimated book arrival date (to Lucas of course.) Since the whole thing has been as drawn out as it has, does anyone have any doubts that it will show up? Or even that it is currently crossing the ocean enroute? Deep down it's hard to believe that sometime this week (if not tomorrow) "your" book will be in the author's hands being shipped to "you" after years of waiting. Too hard to believe?

Jeffrey K
08-20-2007, 07:07 PM
A day away from the estimated book arrival date (to Lucas of course.) Since the whole thing has been as drawn out as it has, does anyone have any doubts that it will show up? Or even that it is currently crossing the ocean enroute? Deep down it's hard to believe that sometime this week (if not tomorrow) "your" book will be in the author's hands being shipped to "you" after years of waiting. Too hard to believe?
He'll fake it - just like the moon landings. Didn't you see Capricorn One? :D

Garrett Sorensen
08-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Didn't you see Capricorn One? :D

Somehow a moon landing seems like small potatoes in comparison. I await the moment all the books are reported to have fallen out of the plane and into the Pacific Ocean, complete with "actual" footage of their descent (although there will be skepticism concerning the heighth of the splash in relation to the rate of descent.) A still will be put on his blog page with "there goes your copy" just below it.

Scott Ruhl
08-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Somehow a moon landing seems like small potatoes in comparison. I await the moment all the books are reported to have fallen out of the plane and into the Pacific Ocean, complete with "actual" footage of their descent (although there will be skepticism concerning the heighth of the splash in relation to the rate of descent.) A still will be put on his blog page with "there goes your copy" just below it.

As long as he isn't presenting the footage with his short trunks on again. Brrrrr. I thought the mutherfucker was trying out for a Nair commercial last time I couldn't even focus on the Bava book. "Bava wha-who?"

Damian P
08-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Lucas auctioned off a copy of the book along with some extras, one of them being an MP3 recording of his Kill, Baby Kill! commentary. Fetched $525.00 but it looks like he sold two sets to the winning bidder. $1000+ aint bad assuming the winner pays. Ebay Item number: 320147575224

Jonny Redman
08-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Lucas auctioned off a copy of the book along with some extras, one of them being an MP3 recording of his Kill, Baby Kill! commentary. Fetched $525.00 but it looks like he sold two sets to the winning bidder. $1000+ aint bad assuming the winner pays. Ebay Item number: 320147575224

The guy who won the first two books is a member of the UK based Pre-Cert forums and he's definitely good to his word.

There were 10 books in the eBay auction BTW. All went for much lower price than I thought they would.

Bava Book eBay auction (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320147575224&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011)

Damian P
08-20-2007, 08:45 PM
The guy who won the first two books is a member of the UK based Pre-Cert forums and he's definitely good to his word.

There were 10 books in the eBay auction BTW. All went for much lower price than I thought they would.

Bava Book eBay auction (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320147575224&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011)

The multiple listing part confuses me. Who pays what and for how much? Good news that the buyer is legit. I've seen a lot of high-end sales go bad lately.

Jonny Redman
08-20-2007, 08:53 PM
The multiple listing part confuses me. Who pays what and for how much? Good news that the buyer is legit. I've seen a lot of high-end sales go bad lately.

Confused the hell out of me too. From what I could make of it there was 10 books on offer, I think the highest bidder won the book signed and numbered #1 with everyone else winning the next numbered edition down the list.. ie the second highest bidder got #2 etc

Damian P
08-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Confused the hell out of me too. From what I could make of it there was 10 books on offer, I think the highest bidder won the book signed and numbered #1 with everyone else winning the next numbered edition down the list.. ie the second highest bidder got #2 etc

Odd. Well he and Donna did better than I thought. Kudos to them. I'm tempted to reorder the book (I got a refund about a year or so ago) but I know I'll never read it. I have more books, movies and music than I have time.

Troy Howarth
08-21-2007, 07:24 AM
It should be shipping today - I'm dying to read it. :)

Kristian R
08-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Don't forget to factor in time for Tim to autograph all the pre-orders.

Scott Ruhl
08-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I think he said AROUND August 21st so I'd keep those panty drawers dry just yet till we hear word he's actually recieved them. I'm sure it will take time to autograph and package each one up for shipping.

edit: Here's what the Bava Blog sez...

We expected to receive shipment from our Hong Kong printer around this time, but they have adjusted the delivery date to fall on or around August 21 (departing from Hong Kong on July 23).

Aleck Bennett
08-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I think he said AROUND August 21st so I'd keep those panty drawers dry just yet till we hear word he's actually recieved them. I'm sure it will take time to autograph and package each one up for shipping.

Yeah, international shipping times can be erratic, so it's best to keep the "around" part of the statement firmly embedded in the frontal lobe. You never know when a holdup in shipping can take place (doubly frustrating because it's never something you can control -- you're in the hands of the freight forwarder).

Jason S
08-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Why would they say "shipping August 21st" if they plan on RECEIVING it themselves on August 21? Wouldn't they need a week or so to process, sign, box and ship all the books?

I don't get it. Why not give a ship date of a couple weeks after you get the product? This way you don't disappoint and if anything maybe people will be happy if it shows up early.

Craig Hatch
08-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Why would they say "shipping August 21st" if they plan on RECEIVING it themselves on August 21? Wouldn't they need a week or so to process, sign, box and ship all the books?

I don't get it. Why not give a ship date of a couple weeks after you get the product? This way you don't disappoint and if anything maybe people will be happy if it shows up early.

I agree especially knowing how eager people are to get the book after all these years.

I may be reading too much in to it but he more than likely does not have the books yet, he updated his Video Watchdog blog today and made no mention of the books, only the auction.

Troy Howarth
08-21-2007, 11:27 PM
While I agree that it could have been worded better, I'm not going to fault Lucas for any of this - if you've waited a long time, you can wait a little bit longer; this book is major cause for celebration among Bava fans, and a few extra days won't kill us. :)

Kristian R
08-22-2007, 12:33 AM
Soon I will know as much about Bava as Troy! And maybe more for a little bit if I read faster. ;) :D

Troy Howarth
08-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Hell, I don't think I know as much about myself! :D

Craig Hatch
08-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Ok so now Lucas has removed the shipping date altogether from his site and upped the price and still hasn't told anyone whether he has received the books... awesome.

Aaron G
08-22-2007, 08:35 PM
I'm just hanging for Lucas's next shlubby update/excuse why the books haven't been sent out on that date, something like:

'Oh we've been busy producing VideoWatchdog and the guys in HongKong ate too much YumCha on the day the books were meant to get sent and I have a whopping 126,234 books to deliver, and it's just me and donna packing, posting, shlepping the books to the post office, but we're as excited as you, and you can expect the book to arrive some time in the next 5 years, but expect delays if you live somewhere far away like Australia!'

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
08-22-2007, 10:05 PM
I'm just hanging for Lucas's next shlubby update/excuse why the books haven't been sent out on that date, something like:

'Oh we've been busy producing VideoWatchdog and the guys in HongKong ate too much YumCha on the day the books were meant to get sent and I have a whopping 126,234 books to deliver, and it's just me and donna packing, posting, shlepping the books to the post office, but we're as excited as you, and you can expect the book to arrive some time in the next 5 years, but expect delays if you live somewhere far away like Australia!'

What a generous soul you are.

Troy Howarth
08-23-2007, 12:15 AM

Chances are, if you got the book on your doorstep tomorrow, you'd still find some reason to complain...

If you're [i]that[i] tired of waiting, voice your distaste in a practical way and cancel your order - if you're genuinely interested in reading it, however, I think you might be able to contain your displeasure long enough to get the book in the mail.

Linn Haynes
08-23-2007, 12:38 AM
If you're [i]that[i] tired of waiting, voice your distaste in a practical way and cancel your order - if you're genuinely interested in reading it, however, I think you might be able to contain your displeasure long enough to get the book in the mail.

Aaron, I think Troy's right. It's highly likely that you'll get yours last now. ;)

Aaron G
08-23-2007, 03:27 AM
Aaron, I think Troy's right. It's highly likely that you'll get yours last now. ;)

Fine, but Troy can go and have slow sensuous sex with a goat!

Chances are, if you got the book on your doorstep tomorrow, you'd still find some reason to complain...

No I wouldn't, quite frankly, I'd resigned the fact that the book will arrive when it does, I just like making fun of the whole saga that it's become!

Why would I wanna do that? Besides, when I finally get and finish reading the bloomin' thing (in the year 2742 at this rate), I probably won't have any energy left to read your fine book!!! (and when are FAB gonna repress it, they seem to be taking more time than Mr.Lucas!!) :p

Troy Howarth
08-23-2007, 07:25 AM
Sorry I got snippy, Aaron - I just understand the writer's dilemma and have sympathy for the situation; good things come to those that wait, and all that. :)

When are FAB gonna repress it? I don't think they ever will - Harvey's never given any indication that this is on the table as an option....

B. Lamb
08-23-2007, 11:37 AM
It wouldn't suprise me at all if these books just started showing up on people's doorsteps...without warning...hopefully this week...or next.

Aleck Bennett
08-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Over at the Bava Book Blog, (http://www.bavabook.blogspot.com/) Tim announces that it'll show up at the VW headquarters tomorrow. It was held up in customs, hence the delay.

Scott Ruhl
08-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Over at the Bava Book Blog, (http://www.bavabook.blogspot.com/) Tim announces that it'll show up at the VW headquarters tomorrow. It was held up in customs, hence the delay.

:eek: OH SHIT! :eek:

edit: You can wet those panty draw ladies!!

Craig Hatch
08-23-2007, 03:44 PM
I hope he posts the non US packages first :(

Jonny Redman
08-23-2007, 03:48 PM
So with this news in hand I reckon the first guys to get their books will be the guys in the States, maybe in a weeks time, with us Europeans getting their copies maybe in two maybe three weeks time?

Color me excited! Infact color me all the colors of the dark excited! :D

Troy Howarth
08-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Ditto - I've been hankering for this book for ages. My own book never attempted to be anything beyond an analysis of his films as a director; I look forward to learning a whole slew of things about my favorite filmmaker. :)

Jason S
08-23-2007, 04:41 PM

Does this mean I'll get mine 2nd to last?

Kristian R
08-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Fingers crossed that the delivery truck doesn't go over a cliff and burst into flames before sinking to the bottom of a big river.

Larry Wilson
08-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Over at the Bava Book Blog, (http://www.bavabook.blogspot.com/) Tim announces that it'll show up at the VW headquarters tomorrow.

YES! Now I just have to figure out a way to explain this purchase to my wife. ;)

Aaron G
08-23-2007, 09:42 PM
When are FAB gonna repress it? I don't think they ever will - Harvey's never given any indication that this is on the table as an option....

Even as a PB? Frucken cnuts! Won't someone else do it? Maybe we could scam something from Melbourne University Press before they completely demolish their Film Theory course!

Aaron G
08-23-2007, 09:46 PM
So with this news in hand I reckon the first guys to get their books will be the guys in the States, maybe in a weeks time, with us Europeans getting their copies maybe in two maybe three weeks time?

And us Aussies 15 years later? (though shipment from the US is quite fast these days)

Troy Howarth
08-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Even as a PB? Frucken cnuts! Won't someone else do it? Maybe we could scam something from Melbourne University Press before they completely demolish their Film Theory course!

Well, it would be nice to have a reprint - I enjoyed those royalty checks - but I can't complain about how FAB handled the book. It was a first time work, and there was certainly ample room for improvement in terms of my writing, but the layout work and design that they did was simply superb. It sold well, won some awards, got a lot of good reviews (and a few bad ones!) and did more or less what I wanted it to do. I'm content. :)

Richard Owen
08-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Just out of interest, how many copies did it shift?

Troy Howarth
08-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Mine? You know, I used to know the figures but at this point it's a bit blurry. We're not talking a New York Times bestseller here - I'd guesstimate there were several thousand of the soft cover, and a couple thousand of the hard. Not too shabby, really, for a book that is ultimately very much in the specialized cult interest department.

Matt A
08-24-2007, 12:56 PM
YES! Now I just have to figure out a way to explain this purchase to my wife. ;)

Yeah, my wife's gonna freak. Even though I ordered it before she and I met 6 years ago she'll be pissed. "We're supposed to be saving money for vacation!!" :D

Richard Owen
08-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Mine? You know, I used to know the figures but at this point it's a bit blurry. We're not talking a New York Times bestseller here - I'd guesstimate there were several thousand of the soft cover, and a couple thousand of the hard. Not too shabby, really, for a book that is ultimately very much in the specialized cult interest department.

Not too shabby at all.

Mark C.
08-24-2007, 04:47 PM
So is this book really 260 dollars? Is there an alternative place to buy cheaper?

Richard Owen
08-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Do you have a time machine that can take you back a couple of weeks?

Troy Howarth
08-24-2007, 05:27 PM
It's been posted for weeks that the price was going up effective August 21st - you had ample opportunity to get it at the cheaper $130 rate up until that date. :)

Aaron G
08-24-2007, 06:55 PM
I reckon 'Pops Howarth' should be sent a preview copy to review on DVDManiacs.

You reckon that sounds like a good idea. I might just email Mr.Lucas and ask him if he'll be so kind?

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
08-24-2007, 08:10 PM
I reckon 'Pops Howarth' should be sent a preview copy to review on DVDManiacs.

You reckon that sounds like a good idea. I might just email Mr.Lucas and ask him if he'll be so kind?
Be sure to call him 'schlubby' when you do. He loves that.

Anyway:

Over 2 Tons For An August Sun (http://bavabook.blogspot.com/2007/08/delivery-day-hallelujah.html)

Troy Howarth
08-24-2007, 08:27 PM
"Pops" happily paid for his own copy. :)

Damian P
08-24-2007, 08:32 PM
So is this book really 260 dollars? Is there an alternative place to buy cheaper?

Dude, you had like 6 years or so to get the book for less.

That pic of Tim with the boxes in his living room is a good one. Must be a great feeling to have your near life-long accomplishment so physically present.

Troy Howarth
08-24-2007, 08:34 PM
I'd say it's more likely to be a mixed feeling... and a daunting one, as there is a lot of practical crap to deal with yet that'll be consuming his life for weeks to come.

Damian P
08-24-2007, 08:37 PM
I'd say it's more likely to be a mixed feeling... and a daunting one, as there is a lot of practical crap to deal with yet that'll be consuming his life for weeks to come.

I wonder if the worst will be some snide reviewer saying, "Eh...could have been better."

Ian Miller
08-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Man, I wish I would have pre-ordered some 9 years ago, the money would be long forgotten and I'd be crawling the walls in anticipation right about now. Congratulations to all who did, though.

Troy Howarth
08-24-2007, 08:54 PM
I wonder if the worst will be some snide reviewer saying, "Eh...could have been better."

There are likely going to be a lot of critiques, especially on line, that stem less from the quality of the book than from personal potshots and the like. Of course, some people simply aren't happy unless they're moaning about something.

Damian P
08-24-2007, 09:00 PM
There are likely going to be a lot of critiques, especially on line, that stem less from the quality of the book than from personal potshots and the like. Of course, some people simply aren't happy unless they're moaning about something.

Exactly. I suspect it will happen, hence my mentioning it.

It's strange, I almost feel guilty for not being interested enough to buy the book (though I did once). Right now, I'm quite content with David Lynch's THE AIR IS ON FIRE. :)

I would however buy a giant-ass book on Jess Franco. I no longer own OBSESSION but I do have the BIZARRE SINEMA! release. He's the only filmmaker that I have interest enough in to want to know that much about.

Jonathan Daniels
08-24-2007, 11:14 PM
I've never met Tim Lucas but I feel really happy for him today. His writing has helped change the way I watch and think about the films I love. It's nice to see someone you admire realize their dream.

I'm sure his book (like Troy's before it) will give me a new perspective on the life and films of one of my favorite directors.

I'm so ready for this book! I'm opening up a wide slot on the bookshelf tonight. :)

Justin Frank
08-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Over 2 Tons For An August Sun (http://bavabook.blogspot.com/2007/08/delivery-day-hallelujah.html)

Wow, that pic of all the boxes in his dining room is great -

Jeffrey Allen Rydell
08-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Wow, that pic of all the boxes in his dining room is great -
And I think I radically under-guesstimated the tonage, too.
(http://p075.ezboard.com/fmonsterkidclassichorrorforumfrm39.showMessageRang e?topicID=695.topic&start=56&stop=60)

Troy Howarth
08-25-2007, 12:07 AM
Exactly. I suspect it will happen, hence my mentioning it.

It's strange, I almost feel guilty for not being interested enough to buy the book (though I did once). Right now, I'm quite content with David Lynch's THE AIR IS ON FIRE. :)

I would however buy a giant-ass book on Jess Franco. I no longer own OBSESSION but I do have the BIZARRE SINEMA! release. He's the only filmmaker that I have interest enough in to want to know that much about.

I love Jess Franco, as you know, but not nearly so much as Mario Bava. Not only could I read this book from cover to cover, but I know I'll be able to revisit it time and again.

I'm a film fanatic, so I have any number of directors I could read such voluminous tomes on, from Bava and Franco to Polanski and Herzog to Losey and Lang and Scorsese and Fellini and beyond... that said, Bava is the only director I'd be willing to shell out so much money on.

Jonathan Daniels
08-25-2007, 01:13 AM
I hope Tim doesn't wake up to a large hole filled with Bava books in the same place he expected his dining room to be. That's a lot of weight. If nothing else, Tim is going to get ripped picking up all those Bava books to sign. His forearms may end up looking like Popeye's. :D

Justin Frank
08-25-2007, 01:30 AM
And I think I radically under-guesstimated the tonage, too.
(http://p075.ezboard.com/fmonsterkidclassichorrorforumfrm39.showMessageRang e?topicID=695.topic&start=56&stop=60)

:D Yeah, 14,800 kilos is slightly more than 32,628 lbs, which would be what? Over 16 tons?

I hope his house is on a slab foundation.

Jason S
08-25-2007, 07:04 AM
So the boat didn't sink and the train didn't crash.

What are the chances of the house collapsing from the weight of the books, destroying the books, pre-order list and author?

Seriously, I'm concerned about this. Someone should mention this to Tim.

Aaron G
08-25-2007, 10:06 AM

NO!

I jerked off $100 bucks 30 minutes ago joining some fucken online swingers site, just to be confronted in a chat room by 45+ year old bikie scraggs with shaved cunts (boy do I feel ripped off!, I just blew $150 purchasing the that Nightmare USA and Richard Kern's latest book...I sat here all night on a Saturday night doing fucken nothing cucking around on the InterNerd drinking beer and watching the footy...

But this BAVA BOOK will make my month when it arrives (hopefully later than Sept5) as I'm gonna be fucking driving around rural Victoria for work..

1000+ pages of Euro-cult glory in eye-popping psychadelic colour with more info about films that I may never see (but will WANT to based on the fact they look so trippy) will make my month, year, millenium - whatever...

I know it's anal and obsessive and pathetic, but fuck-it, in today's fucken homogenised, fucken corporate fucken yuppie retard consumer world, it's great some little bloke spent so much of his life and own money to produce such a work of outsider art and we all waited so patiently for it! And how's this, as I type, the Damned's 'smash it up' video is on the telly. Yo!

Thank you, and good night and get fucked! :p

Troy Howarth
08-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Were you drunk when you wrote that? 'Cause I can't make heads or tails of what you're saying, mate. :D

jefff
08-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Amen Aaron. :D

Garrett Sorensen
08-26-2007, 08:39 PM
I am curious what order he is sending the books out in. It makes total sense to go by the first orders onward, but I can't help feeling the book will arrive at any moment (since I live less than 100 miles from Cincinnati.) So close and yet so far. One of the things I am most looking forward to is details on his hidden filmography about how much (and what) he possibly filmed without credit. I have my netflix ready with supplementary material to flesh out the reading (Cabiria, Esther and the King, Day the Sky Exploded etc.)

Aaron G
08-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Were you drunk when you wrote that? 'Cause I can't make heads or tails of what you're saying, mate. :D

FUCK THE CORPORATE DOMINANT PARADIGM!

..and I can wait, good things take time apparently.

Troy Howarth
08-26-2007, 09:23 PM
I hear ya, Aaron. :D

Garrett - I'm sure the mailing will go as you suggest. I would imagine that the US customers will all have the book in hand in a week or two, as he suggests on the blog. The European fans may have to wait a little longer, depending on customs, etc, but the wait is finally coming to an end. :)

Scott Ruhl
08-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Tim posted this over at Mobius regarding the names of those who pre-ordered being included:

There is a two-page spread in the back of the book -- pages 1094 and 1095 -- that contains the names of everyone who pre-ordered at the time the book went to press. It was a promise we made when we announced that we were accepting pre-orders, and the names were a perfect fit.

Garrett Sorensen
09-01-2007, 10:42 AM
I am curious if anyone has received the book? I read Tim's blog that they aren't quite shipping 100 copies a day and that worried me a bit because I remember my order being #0003246 or something like that. I hope that doesn't mean there are a few thousand orders before me because with their rate it would take well over a month, maybe even two. I would normally be patient but I will be doing a solo run down to Florida in a few weeks and I was hoping the book would keep me company. Is there any reliable way to find out if the number sold is really that high?

Troy Howarth
09-01-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm wondering if he plans on sending shipping notification emails... it may slow down the process, but I would like to have an idea.

Aaron G
09-05-2007, 02:10 AM
Apparently a mate of mine down here in Austria received his book today or yesterday..

Apparently I'm listed in the back as an early-bird!

Hopefully I find it on my doorstep soon!

Jens Thomsen
09-05-2007, 04:44 AM
Funny coincidence... I was just reading this tread to see whether people were starting to receive the book yet. Then the dorbell rang and outside was a postman with my copy! :D

It was sent out the 30th of August and arrived today in Denmark. Pretty good, and no problems with the customs.

Pieter Boven
09-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Received the book today too (in Belgium). Luckily only 10 euro customs fee but I notice Donna has put value $15 dollars on the box and marked it as gift. That probably helped :)

mike gonzales
09-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Is he going alphabetically by country? Australia... Belgium... Denmark...

If so, us Yanks are in for quite a wait!

Jens Thomsen
09-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Actually that sounds as a plausible explanation. I see some other Danes, I know, are credited in the back. Will enquire to hear whether they received theirs as well.

Morten Solberg
09-05-2007, 07:44 PM
I don't want to go to trough 20 pages, so I just ask out; Where can I buy this?

Anthony Thorne
09-05-2007, 08:41 PM
You can get it at this link.

http://www.videowatchdog.com/bava/index.htm

I just got mine and it's absolutely remarkable. 1000 giant pages, full colour, beautifully printed, and jam packed full of incredible stills and info. The current price is now considerable, but it is worth it. This is a once in a lifetime investment for me. I doubt I'll ever own a more beautiful or attractive book.

Aaron G
09-05-2007, 09:46 PM
You can get it at this link.

http://www.videowatchdog.com/bava/index.htm
This is a once in a lifetime investment for me. I doubt I'll ever own a more beautiful or attractive book.

or a heavier one!

Jens Thomsen
09-06-2007, 02:51 AM
I second that. I thought I was prepared after watching the video on Lucas' blog - but this book is HUGE! Definitely not for relaxed bedtime reading.

Seems like the other Danes, I know, that have pre-ordered are also receiving theirs now, so the theory about VW shipping it out alphabetically by country might very well be true.

Larry Wilson
07-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Tim is having a big sale on the Video Watchdog site (http://www.videowatchdog.com/home/specials/index.html), and you can now buy the Bava book for $150. So for anyone who thought it was silly to pay $250 for a book, now is your chance to virtually steal it...:D

Seriously, though, I've never regretted buying it for a single second. It's still one of my most prized film books.

Benjamin C
07-17-2009, 02:21 AM
I can't seem to find any info about the discount anyhwere on the video watchdod homepage, Larry. Perhaps i'm looking in the wrong places? Do you perhaps have a link?:confused:

Alex M
07-17-2009, 05:59 AM
http://www.videowatchdog.com/home/specials/index.html

Benjamin C
07-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Well, better late then never i guess. I took the plunge since this offer was just too good to pass up on. It still costs me a 140 euro's in total even with the discount code but i'm sure it will be worth every penny when it finally arrives.:)

Aaron G
07-21-2009, 07:26 PM
140 Euros come to 243 Australian dollar, sheeit, thats still expensive!