PDA

View Full Version : Region Free Players at Best Buy

Ian Jane
11-13-2002, 01:26 PM
I went to BB last night to help a friend get a player, and we found the following:

Cyberhome DVD500
$89.99
PAL/NTSC
Optical Out
Component Out
Progressive Scan
VCD/SVCD/MP3/Cd-R/Cd-RW

Anyway, I looked around on Nerd-Out and there's a hack for it to make it region free, and it works like a charm.

Chris Peltier
11-16-2002, 08:34 AM
I just bought the Cyberhome DVD CH-402S at Suncoast for 69.99. It works like a dream once you do the remote control hack which I found on Cyberhome's discussion page. It also plays JPEGS, DVD R/RW, CD R/RW, MP3 discs. I've tried a Region 2 PAL disc and a Region 3 disc and they both play perfectly. I am a happy camper!

Nick Schwartz
11-17-2002, 11:53 PM
This player reads PAL discs and outputs them to a normal NTSC without any ill effects? You're joking!

Kenton Sem
11-27-2002, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the tip, Ian. I picked up the Cyberhome player at Best Buy. It works like a dream. My old player is a JVC purchased in 1999 (for over $300!) that won't even play CD-Rs! With the new player, I've been able to watch CD-Rs of Godzilla (GIANT MONSTERS ALL OUT ATTACK!) and Bjork that I had sitting around gathering dust. Now to get that Criterion edition of CARNIVAL OF SOULS that wouldn't play on the JVC :). It's great to be able to play MP3s on my stereo too.

Next comes the big test. I did the region-free hack and ordered a region 2 PAL version of one of my all-time favorite films that for some reason isn't available in the U.S., PANDORA'S BOX!

Ian Jane
11-27-2002, 11:06 AM
I don't own this player myself, but I tried the hack for a friend and tested it with few non-region 1 discs and it worked like a charm!

Nick Schwartz
11-27-2002, 12:19 PM
So it does the PAL to NTSC conversion with no problems? No nasty decoding issues at all?

Tell me I'm dreaming.

Ian Jane
11-27-2002, 12:50 PM
It might, I'm not sure, as I have an anamorphic TV. Sorry.

Corey L.
11-27-2002, 04:32 PM
I picked one of these up at Best Buy. Not bad at all! Especially for $79! With the very simple remote hack it plays all regions, and it converts pal discs. So far it seems to do a great job, but I haven't tried any anamorphic pal discs yet. I bought it because my old player wouldn't play DVD-Rs, or even CD-Rs.

Chris Peltier
11-27-2002, 04:43 PM
The Hong Kong Legends DVD of Jet Li's Hitman is anamorphic. It doesn't seem to have any stretching on my TV. I also watched The Tribe Volume 1, which also states that it is 16:9, and it also looks fine. However, both of these shows are probably not at an aspect ratio of more than 1.85:1, so maybe the stretching, if there is any, wouldn't be as pronounced.

Corey L.
11-27-2002, 07:37 PM
I would say the the CyberHome 500 dvd player is shaping up to be one of the best deals (steals) to come along in a long while. I like having it around since my Malata is a player I don't want to over use or get dirty. They are temperamental, and hate dirty discs, especially rentals.

Scott Crum
11-27-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by cdove
I would say the the CyberHome 500 dvd player is shaping up to be one of the best deals (steals) to come along in a long while. I like having it around since my Malata is a player I don't want to over use or get dirty. They are temperamental, and hate dirty discs, especially rentals.

This player is coming up as 79.99 on the BESTBUY.COM website.

Scott

Corey L.
11-28-2002, 05:20 PM
Don't forget BestBuy.com has free shipping too! :)

Conner H
11-29-2002, 02:26 AM
Ah, yes. But I bet 16x9 flicks look all stretchy and shit. Curse the reigon/coding restraints. May they live in pain for all eternity.

Nick Schwartz
11-29-2002, 02:50 AM
Okay, I just wanna be sure....I can buy a DVD player that can be region hacked easily and can decode PAL discs onto a NTSC TV for $80....yes or no?

I'm sorry, but I just wanna be sure. :)

Chris Peltier
11-29-2002, 09:24 AM
With Region 2 and 3 discs in hand and the Cyberhome player on the entertainment console, the answer is yes to easily defeating the region coding and yes to playing a PAL picture on a NTSC television. The debate is whether or not it stretches 16x9 images. Again, while I have two discs which say that they are 16x9, I've yet to try a movie which was shot in an aspect ratio of more than 1.85:1. But so far, I've experienced no noticable stretching.

Corey L.
11-29-2002, 11:39 AM
Yes...
plain and simple :)
Go for it!

Conner H
11-29-2002, 02:21 PM
OK, I'm out to go get this, but how do I do the remote control hack for the Cyberhome DVD CH-402S?

Ian Jane
11-29-2002, 02:25 PM
Here's the hack I used (and it worked fine):

1. Turn on your dvd player
2. open the tray
3. press the stop button on your remote
4. enter 1999 using the remote and a menu will pop up.
5. select the region code using the remote (set it to ALL)
6. confirm it, using enter
7. leave the menu using the return button on your remote
8. close the tray

and you should be good to go!

Corey L.
11-29-2002, 03:28 PM
Yeah, that's the hack I used. It doesn't get any simpler than that. Just open the dvd tray, push stop, push 1999, and presto you get a secret menu! Very nice indeed!

Ian Jane
11-29-2002, 04:35 PM
Like I said, I only tested it on an anamorphic TV, so I can't speak for regular set owners, but obviously, on the anamorphic set, it's fine.

Conner H
11-29-2002, 07:05 PM
So which is better? The DVD500 (90 bucks) or the DVD CH-402S (70 bucks)?

Corey L.
11-29-2002, 07:14 PM
DVD 500 can be had cheaper than $90.

Conner H
11-29-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by cdove
DVD 500 can be had cheaper than $90.

Oh my mistake.

Does anyone know which is better?

vegasnights
11-30-2002, 06:12 PM
Does either of these play DVD-R's?

Corey L.
11-30-2002, 06:26 PM
Yeah it plays DVD-Rs. I have a Malata that does too, but I wanted my secondary player (in the bedroom) to as well. So that's one of the main reasons why I bought the Cyberhome 500.

On a side note, I recently recieved a couple DVD-Rs from Midnight Video and they looked great on my Cyberhome 500.

But, I would be weary of buying DVD-Rs (of rare films) from just anyone. From experience, the only place that offers good quality ones seems to be Midnight Video. (But alas they are very expensive.) So I guess it's a matter of how much you want it.

Many other companies are doing the DVD-R thing, and I can't help but feel burned after watching their discs... oh well! :(

vegasnights
11-30-2002, 06:36 PM
I was going to buy a Malata just so I could watch the Midnight Video dvd-r's, but now i'm going to get a Cyberhome for $90, and spend the difference getting 8 more Midnight dvd-r's. This seems too good to be true!

Corey L.
11-30-2002, 06:40 PM
Hey Vegas Nights, let us all know what DVD-Rs you're interested in! There are several goodies at Midnight Video! In fact many of us here at DVD Maniacs have taken the plunge.

vegasnights
11-30-2002, 06:50 PM
Thanks Bill

Corey L.
11-30-2002, 06:58 PM
My own Malata has truly been a remarkable player...
So if you can buy one yourself, I would go for it... but you are looking a bigger price tag. Cyberhome is a cheap(er) alternative. I wouldn't totally dismiss it as too good to be true. But I think we all know Malata is one helluva good player.

But beware, Malata has its bashers too.

vegasnights
11-30-2002, 07:19 PM
I'm interested in all of the Midnight dvd-r's. Which ones have you got so far?

Corey L.
11-30-2002, 08:14 PM
I totally understand Bill. We have to watch out for each other...

This forum is hands down the best! :)

vegasnights
11-30-2002, 09:34 PM
Does the same remote hack instructions work for both models?

Corey L.
11-30-2002, 09:43 PM
Vegas Nights
I have the Magdalena and Rat Man DVD-Rs from Midnight Video. Magdalena in particular is pretty groovy!

vegasnights
11-30-2002, 10:53 PM
Thanks guys. Im out the door to pick one of these up. I just need to order a PAL disc on Monday so I can test it. I think it will work.

Nick Schwartz
12-01-2002, 12:41 AM
I agree with MidnightSoulTaker here, I would love to have a multi-regional PAL conversion player so I can go out and buy that Doctor Who Movie (available only in England, sadly) and get into that racket as well as something that can play various types of discs as well, but I don't want to waste money. In fact, if someone can point me to a page where I can get the specifics of this fine player, I'd be most grateful. :)

Corey L.
12-01-2002, 01:38 AM
Here's the home page for Argus Electronics... more specifically CyberHome:
http://www.cyberhome.com

The Cyberhome DVD 500 Progressive Scan is the player in question...

Oh and the remote hack (to make it region free) is obviously not an advertised or company endorsed extra. But by all means it is safe and legal.

Nick Schwartz
12-01-2002, 02:03 AM
Thanks to all who posted that wonderful link. I think I'm finding another DVD player that will satisfy all of my digital commands. ;) But one last thing before my mind is settled: this machine can be hooked up using the red-white-yellow RCA cables right? I know both the 402 and the 500 models have a bunch of connections in the back, just I just want to hook it up to my mono TV...yes, I know, but stereo will come later when I'm sure that my foundation can handle it. ;)

So, can I hook it up the normal way (using the RCA red-white-yellow) cables? Below are the connections for both.

Corey L.
12-01-2002, 09:37 AM
I used regular RCA cables to hook my Cyberhome up (they came with the player) and then to a Mono '15 RCA TV. (Small 4x3 TV)

As far as displaying Anamorphic PAL discs... let me confirm this... it displays them correctly. Without the stretching... seen on some region free pal/ntsc players in combination with 4x3 TV sets.

The Malata I have and the Cybehome both do an excellant job with PAL Anamorphic discs. If they didn't I wouldn't keep them or endorse them.

My Malata seems to do a better job with DVD-Rs however.

Corey L.
12-01-2002, 12:20 PM
No problem Bill,
thanks for the kind words.

Andrew Monroe
12-01-2002, 01:11 PM
This is a little off the subject,but dvd players are being discussed here,so I thought I`d ask.My Apex multi-disc player makes a sort of vibrating noise when certain discs are played,mainly "budget"dvds like Brentwood,Alpha,Diamond,etc.The discs play fine,but the noise is quite loud on some.If I put a book on top it muffles the noise a lot.Does anyone else have this problem?Is it the cheapness of the discs?

Andrew Monroe
12-01-2002, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the reply,Bill.I think you may be right,I never notice this on my other player,a JVC.I`m getting another region free player soon,so I guess I`ll retire the Apex.

Phil D
12-04-2002, 05:55 AM
My French Planete des Vampires 1.66 ratio and Colosse de Rhodes 2.35 are correctly letterboxed. Previously on my Sampo all-region player they looked queezed.

other non-region 1 titles that were squeezed now look corrected:

Don't look Now looked correct at 1.85

Kieslowski's BLUE looks correct at 1.75

Argento's Nonhossono looks correct at 1.85

So far my player works great.

But my MIDNIGHT DVD-Rs lock up as well as my Sinister ones.

Ian Jane
12-04-2002, 10:50 AM
Andrew, Apex players are notorious for making noise when they're on. They just do. I've got an AD-1200 (which also displays anamorphic discs just fine) and once in a while it hums and whirs.

Andrew Monroe
12-04-2002, 10:59 AM
Thanks Ian,I can usually ignore it but the Brentwood Evelyn disc was LOUD.Other than that,I`ve been very pleased with it,but now I`m thinking of getting another region free.

vegasnights
12-05-2002, 12:37 PM
Philip Dubuc did you say Midnights dvd-r's are locking up in the Cyberhome 500. I hope not! This is terrible news considering I just bought one, and ordered 4 Midnight dvd-r's. Can anyone else confirm this?

Corey L.
12-05-2002, 01:01 PM
Upon reading the new posts today, I tested my Midnight DVD-Rs along with my Crimnson Cult ones, and after a few minutes they did indeed lock up.

Keep in mind, intially when I first got my DVD-Rs I watched them on my Malata, and they played fine.

When I recieved my Cyberhome 500, I tested the DVD-Rs on the machine, and they looked great. But I did not rewatch the entire films... therefore seeing if they played correctly over time.

It appears that after a few minutes they lock up, and freeze! This is a minor setback, and is disappointing.

But I do not consider it a big loss since it plays all of my PAL DVDs (european discs) great.

In closing, I contacted Argus Electronics and they said they are working on an upgrade patch in regards to the DVD-R and various other medias.

vegasnights
12-05-2002, 01:14 PM
CDCOVE I thought you said they looked great on your Cyberhome? Thats why I bought it.

vegasnights
12-05-2002, 01:15 PM
Oh never mind, I see what your saying. This is terrible!

Corey L.
12-05-2002, 01:16 PM
They looked great when I tested them...
I had no idea they would lock up after a few minutes...
I feel really bad about this whole situation...

Phil D
12-05-2002, 07:23 PM
It's very hard finding a DVD player that plays:
1) ALL regions
2) PAL to NTSC
3) DVD-R and
4) displays PAL to NTSC with proper aspect ratio conversion.

The MALATA does.

But to have a player that does three-out-of-four "ain't" bad especially for 80 bucks. I wasn't ready to spend over $250. for a MALATA just to get correct aspect ratio conversion (I already have a SAMPO all-region player)

I also own a cheap TOSHIBA DVD player (Best Buy @ $109.) that I use to play region 1 DVDs, MIDNIGHT, SINISTER and Luminous Film and Video Wurks DVD-R titles flawlessly. I hope my SWV DVD-R titles coming will play ok.

So alas I need two DVD players oh and a LD player to watch my films. Such is my life.

I feel everyone's pity.

vegasnights
12-05-2002, 07:35 PM
I ordered a Malata today. Im having it ship Fed Ex. Fuck it. I should of just did that in the first place.

Scott Crum
12-07-2002, 07:32 PM
I just got the CyberHome 500 @ BestBuy for $63 + tax. So far so good. Great Picture and features. Progressive pal/ntsc/onboard decoder/ digital coax/optical outputs. Can't go wrong with this player.

Scott

Player was 69.99 with 10% coupon for preferred customer weekend.

Chuk H
12-08-2002, 12:48 AM
Well I went and grabbed one of these babys, they had a huge pile of 'em at my local BB. I only paid 63 bucks; like Scott I used the prefered customer coupon. I haven't tried it out yet. My fiance now thinks I'm "stockpiling " dvd players! I already have a philips and an apex but I plan to use the cyberhaome when the Philips craps out.

Scott Crum
12-08-2002, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by MidnightSoulTaker
Have you come across the DVD-R problems yet? I'd like to pick this up for the bedroom but not if the DVD-R's lock up.

I don't own any DVD-R's and really am not concerned with them. I just was glad to have a back-up to my Malata that plays Pal...multi-region. I have tried the Pal out and it does do the aspect ratio correctly on anamorphic pal discs. That alone is worth the price to me.

Scott

Corey L.
12-08-2002, 12:06 PM
With the upcoming upgrade patch/download you will be able to play DVD-Rs. It's only a matter of time... I think then I will totally be satisfied with my Cyberhome 500. But for the most part I'm glad I bought it because it's a great bargain, and really does a great job on the PAL conversion...

On a side note, I bought mine for 79.99 at bestbuy, and it recently came down to 69.99 over the weekend. So I went in to my local store and had them price match... and give me difference. So it came out to be even more of a bargain... I could have used the preferred customer's coupon for an additional 10% off, but alas I didn't want to push my luck! :)

In closing, I was at bestbuy for about 30 minutes yesterday and I just happened to see 5 different people with a Cyberhome 500 player in their hands! It's great to see people jump on this deal. (But I wonder if they truly know it's capabilities? with the region free hack, PAL conversion, and the Progressive scan!)

Chuk H
12-08-2002, 02:10 PM
When I was in BB the sales rep I talked to ( who was an older guy, not some snotty 20 year old) was well aware of Cyberhome's region free capabilities. I got into a conversation and it turned out he has one of the old Apex models that played region free with out needing a hack. Nice to talk to a fellow traveler.

Scott Crum
12-08-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by chuk hell
When I was in BB the sales rep I talked to ( who was an older guy, not some snotty 20 year old) was well aware of Cyberhome's region free capabilities. I got into a conversation and it turned out he has one of the old Apex models that played region free with out needing a hack. Nice to talk to a fellow traveler.

I had a similar experience. I asked a salesperson where the 69.99 DVD player was and he recommended a service contract to which I said thanks. He then asked how I'll be hooking it up to my TV and told him component jacks. He said it didn't have component cables to which I said thanks. I told him I wanted it to back up my Malata and he said quite a few people were checking it out because of this. I said really and he told me he had one of the old APEX's because of it's multi-region ability. I was shocked usually I know more than the nit-wits at Bestbuy but this guy seemed informed. He was younger ~20-25 yrs and I assume it was due to cruising the internet as opposed to any inhouse training.

Chuk H
12-09-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Scott Crum
this guy seemed informed. He was younger ~20-25 yrs and I assume it was due to cruising the internet as opposed to any inhouse training.

I bet you're right about that. I asked the people at BB about a year ago if they had any region free players and they looked at me like I had two heads. The guy said "why would you want that?" and I replied " to watch dvds from other regions". He acted like I was talking about commiting some sort of felony. Fucking sheep.

Scott Crum
12-09-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by chuk hell
I bet you're right about that. I asked the people at BB about a year ago if they had any region free players and they looked at me like I had two heads. The guy said "why would you want that?" and I replied " to watch dvds from other regions". He acted like I was talking about commiting some sort of felony. Fucking sheep.

LOL. I do love to screw with them though. I remember I was a little anxious about getting the EVIL DEAD II Collector Edition from AB. I knew they would occasionally break street date on their discs. I show up on a Saturday and I asked the guy if he had any to sell early and he of course responded "we can get in big trouble for that." I then asked why he was worried about AB coming to get him when they were breaking street date on TERMINATOR 2 (I believe this was the release) which they had a whole rack devoted too. He literaly looked at me, turned pale and left the area.

Scott

vegasnights
12-09-2002, 08:34 AM
I think the Cyberhome picture quality is a joke. You have to be off your dial a little bit to say anything good about these players.

Scott Crum
12-09-2002, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by vegasnights
I think the Cyberhome picture quality is a joke. You have to be off your dial a little bit to say anything good about these players.

You are the first person I've seen/read complain about the picture quality. I've watched a couple discs (A BUG'S LIFE, FISTS OF FURY- R2 PAL) both looked good. A tad softer than my Toshiba but with less jaggies than my Tosh. Overall picture quality has been good but hey I got it for $63 to as a back-up to play PAL discs.

vegasnights
12-09-2002, 09:03 AM
It worth $63 dollars don't get me wrong, but that's all its worth.
Put something in that is not big budget commerial quality, and it will look grainy.

Scott Crum
12-09-2002, 09:05 AM
It worth $63 dollars don't get me wrong, but that's all its worth.
Put something in that is not big budget commerial quality, and it will look grainy.

Any particular discs that you can recommend to check this?

Scott Crum
12-09-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Michael Elliott
I guess I'll be picking one of these babies up. I was going to on Thursday but decided to get more movies instead. I want that 7-disc JVC player but $400 is a bit too high for me especially when I'm thinking about a DVD Recorder.

I wouldn't pick one up Michael......they are incompatible with snapper cases. :D

Kenton Sem
12-09-2002, 11:18 AM
For what it's worth dept:

I received a region 0 PAL copy of the Louise Brooks silent classic PANDORA'S BOX presented in a 4:3 ratio.

After the all-regions hack, once I figured out that I needed to set the Cyberhome 500 unit to PS 4:3 (previously set to WS 16x9) the DVD played fine. At first I was also stymied by some heavy pixelation when people moved on screen, this was fixed by changing the video setting from Progressive to Interlaced (auto).

So, after a bit of fiddling with the controls, I was able to watch the film on my Sony Wega with no problem. PAL to NTSC in this case had no problems.

I've also watched some more recent region 1 discs, including AMELIE (DVD) with no noticeable decline in picture quality. Two CDR's that I've watched both looked great too.

vegasnights
12-09-2002, 10:22 PM
A couple of examples Anti Christ, Eugenie De Sade They both look fine in my Panasonic.

ROBERT BLACK
12-10-2002, 12:29 AM
You have that right Nick. IF it can convert anamorphic PAL to NTSC it is the best deal in town. I have a MALATA n996 that has done a great job, but after 160 discs played(multiple times)not including rentals and vcds,cds, It's in danger of wearing out through the proverbial floor. I have a PS2 flashed, but it doesn't play most PAL discs,vcds and has the barest features of a player.The Cyberhome might be the second standby player that the DVD doctor ordered. Unfortunately it's not sold in Canada, and they're's the question of void warranty if I order it from the U.S. Just my luck. But there's always the new Vsonic.

vegasnights
12-10-2002, 12:38 AM
For the price it is worth it, but you get what you pay for.

Scott Crum
12-10-2002, 04:44 AM
For the price it is worth it, but you get what you pay for.

IMO it's a bargain. I wouldn't have spent $300 on a Malata 8 months ago if this had been around. I have tried other discs and i don't see the grain problem at all.

Scott

Scott Crum
12-10-2002, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Svenghouli
and doesn't shimmer like the Malata,

For anamorphic PAL/NTSC discs use the STILL filter and for everything else use the SMART filter in the advanced video settings. I have the 996N and this should eliminate the shimmer. Play with these 2 filters only as the other 3 really don't do shit IMO.

Scott

ROBERT BLACK
12-10-2002, 08:03 PM
Still usually does the job. There's still(no pun intended)slight artifacting on my Asian network JUNK DVD. Even with that setting.

Leonardo Concepcion
12-11-2002, 01:24 AM
This is my baby:

http://www.buyundercost.com/MSDVD_COBY_dvd-507_DTL.shtml

Chuk H
12-16-2002, 02:54 AM
Just noticed nerdout now has a section devoted to cyberhome players :)

Good info including a macrovision hack.

http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/

Ronald Weston
12-22-2002, 07:24 PM
Picked up a CyberHome 500 at Best Buy Friday for $69.95 plus tax and a $20.00 rebate!

Conner H
01-04-2003, 02:11 AM
I played my Dutch Dawn of the Dead 2-disc DVD set, and it's perfect all except for one thing:

When people move, it seems choppy (the framerate drops). Any help?

BTW it plays NTSC DVD's perfect.