PDA

View Full Version : One Step Beyond on dvd - HELP!

Horace Cordier
07-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Can anyone help me navigate this public-domain clusterfuck? I've see so many different labels/versions/configs of this that my head is spinning. It's worse than the old DRAGNET! Alpha, Delta, etc... and no-one does them in order of broadcast.

I've almost grabbed that huge Delta set that has about 8 dvds in it, but even though the price is good for such a large set (about $80), I don't have any idea how good the transfers are (I'm also pretty sure it doesn't have the complete series, despite the size of the set).

Anyway, I've seen a few episodes and liked them, and as a devoted TWILIGHT ZONE head, this seems like a natural next "step" for me. Anyone have any experience with any of the various dvd releases?

Bill Pissott
07-24-2005, 12:40 PM
A good place to start is with the "official" 12 episode set released by VCI:

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=99364282516723&searchID=1357839&item_id=534897

The episodes look better then I have seen them look before but still, it's not BU quality.

I have the 12-disc Delta set but haven't opened as of yet. Found it pretty cheap as compared to other places here:

http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=579619

Horace Cordier
07-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks Bill - think I'll start with the VCI set (very nicely priced). Let us know what you think of that Delta beast once you crack the plastic. :)

Bill Pissott
07-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Will do Horace. I hope to get to that set sometime within the next few weekends. BTW, here is a brief overview/thoughts on the episodes on the VCI set that I put together way back in 2003.

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8168&highlight=One+Step+Beyond

Bill Pissott
07-24-2005, 09:05 PM
I just watched three episodes of "OSB" from the VCI set and again, I'll say that the episodes presented in this particular release are the best looking I have seen. Pretty much free of skips, cuts, jumps and lost dialogue. Each episode ran about 25 minutes to apparently they are uncut. Some of the episodes I already have on tape and definitely noticed additional scenes on the VCI set that are not there on the tapes.

A quick glance at Delta's 12-DVD set reveals the episodes to pretty much be the usual 16MM cuts that have been floating around for years and years. Some decent quality but also some skips, jumps and pops.

The three episodes I watched from the VCI set were "House Of The Dead", "Tidal Wave" and "Anniversary Of A Murder" Despite seeing these episodes many times before, they still manage to give me the goosebumps thanks in large part to tight direction, good scripts, good acting, moody black and white photography and that spooky, creepy Harry Lubin score.

Bill Pissott
07-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Damn you Horace! Now you have me on a "One Step Beyond" kick! :)

Just watched, what is in my opinion, THE most chilling tale from this series and one of the scariest of all time. It's called "The Death Waltz" with Elizabeth Montgomery and the episode that kept me up one night as a child still manages to send the chills up my spine today. They need to get this episode out on one of those damn "OSB" DVD's that are out there!

Horace Cordier
07-25-2005, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=Bill Pissott]Damn you Horace! Now you have me on a "One Step Beyond" kick! :) QUOTE]

Ha! I'm picking up the VCI set tomorrow thanks to you Bill. I really grew up with the ZONE, but they used to do syndicated re-runs around here of ONE STEP at 3 or 4 am. I remember setting an alarm clock as a kid to catch them!

Cool show that I never saw enough of. Seemed to have more of a flat-out horror/supernatural edge than the ZONE. Loved John Newland's voice too. And btw, are you the "bill" quoted on imdb re ONE STEP? Nice article, even though I'll defend Rod Serling to the death (I am kidding!). Just that Rod is sort of my childhood hero. :)

Bill Pissott
07-25-2005, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=Bill Pissott]Damn you Horace! Now you have me on a "One Step Beyond" kick! :) QUOTE]

Ha! I'm picking up the VCI set tomorrow thanks to you Bill. I really grew up with the ZONE, but they used to do syndicated re-runs around here of ONE STEP at 3 or 4 am. I remember setting an alarm clock as a kid to catch them!

Cool show that I never saw enough of. Seemed to have more of a flat-out horror/supernatural edge than the ZONE. Loved John Newland's voice too. And btw, are you the "bill" quoted on imdb re ONE STEP? Nice article, even though I'll defend Rod Serling to the death (I am kidding!). Just that Rod is sort of my childhood hero. :)

Oh, I love Rod and I love "TZ". I was just throwing some props to "OSB" because a lot of folks make the mistake of thinking that "TZ" was there first but regardless, they are two excellent shows. "OSB" was definitely heavy on the supernatural as it delved into various aspects of psyhic phenomena while staying true to the studies and conclusions of parasychologists of the time. Some episodes are amazing in that they chronicle the psychic events that surrounded tragedies such as the sinking of the Titanic and the Lincoln assasination. One episode was actually a straight up documentary on the psychic effects of hallucinegenics that actually had John Newland eating peyote on the air. Funnily enough, the name of the episode is "The Sacred Mushroom" and it is a trip. :)

Scott Shell
07-27-2005, 03:25 AM
if you like this show,check out THE VEIL hosted by Boris Karloff. Similar in the psychic phenomena theme. There is a Something Weird release but I got the two disc $5.50 set in a Wal Mart cheapie bin and the quality is excellent.

Are they any episodes of ONE STEP BEYOND that are about something spooky other than ghosts or psychic stuff? I liked the show but it always seemed to be the same kinda thing every week.

That said, happened by chance today on a $1 DVD of OSB at the dollar store,so it will be fun to see some episodes again.

Bill Pissott
07-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Are they any episodes of ONE STEP BEYOND that are about something spooky other than ghosts or psychic stuff?

There have been episodes that delved into things like physical deformity, strange things falling from the sky, etc...

I'm trying to remember the episode titles off the top of my head for you so please excuse me if they are not completely accurate:

Ordeal On Locust Street
Where Are They?
Blood Flower
The Necklace
The Tiger

There are probably more but I'll have to check it out when I have some time at home. :)

Bill Pissott
07-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Some more titles that popped into my head and may be what you are looking for:

The Devil's Laughter
Night Of The Kill
Forests Of The Night
The Sacred Mushroom

Horace Cordier
07-27-2005, 10:09 AM
if you like this show,check out THE VEIL hosted by Boris Karloff. Similar in the psychic phenomena theme. There is a Something Weird release but I got the two disc $5.50 set in a Wal Mart cheapie bin and the quality is excellent.

Are they any episodes of ONE STEP BEYOND that are about something spooky other than ghosts or psychic stuff? I liked the show but it always seemed to be the same kinda thing every week.

That said, happened by chance today on a $1 DVD of OSB at the dollar store,so it will be fun to see some episodes again.

I have THE VEIL 2disc from S.W. w/the bonus DEMON STREET episodes. Very good stuff! Now where the hell is Karloff's THRILLER on dvd???

Bill Pissott
07-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Now where the hell is Karloff's THRILLER on dvd???

Great question! I bought a few episodes of the show when they were released on VHS and I really enjoyed it. That "Premature Burial" episode really creeped me out!