PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Mike Hammer Novel

Al Edwards
10-30-2002, 01:33 PM
Is there anyone who is a fan of Mickey Spillane, especially his Mike Hammer series besides me? If so, what are a favorite story, and why? Mike Hammer is obviously the prototype for James Bond, Dirty Harry, etc.

Ian Jane
10-30-2002, 01:50 PM
Spillane is great! He writes the best 'tough guy' characters, and I agree, the influence is undeniable. I voted for the Big Kill.

I'm also moving this to off topic, sorry :)

Andrew Monroe
10-30-2002, 09:44 PM
I love Spillane as well,he`s one of the finest hard-boiled authors.He lives about an hour from me,at Murrell`s Inlet,SC.He played his own character(Mike Hammer) in the movie The Girl Hunters.

Chuk H
10-30-2002, 11:56 PM
I voted for My Gun is Quick, since it was the first one I read. These books are a hoot. I love the 40s-50s lingo.

Harvey C
10-31-2002, 12:11 AM
I loved Spillane when I was a kid, and I read all his Hammer books. Lately I've been going back and rereading a couple of them for a good chuckle. I love their over-the-top violence and almost unbelievable lack of political correctness (even for the time they were written). The earlier Hammers are definitely better than the later ones (like THE ERECTION SET), and I rather arbitrarily voted for I, THE JURY.

Anyone here remember Spillane's really bad spy novels featuring Tiger Mann (at least I think that was his name)?

Harvey C
10-31-2002, 12:14 AM
BTW, Ayn Rand once wrote an essay arguing that Mickey Spillane was a better writer than Thomas Hardy!

Chad Haden
10-31-2002, 12:20 AM
When I was a kid I thought the "Mike Hammer" show with Stacy Keach was about the finest program around.

Al Edwards
11-01-2002, 12:38 PM
I voted for Vengeance is Mine, which has a good story, and an excellent finish to it with its surprise twist.

Al Edwards
11-04-2002, 07:56 PM
I wish a volume 3 Mike Hammer collection would come out someday.

Al Edwards
02-13-2003, 09:48 PM
The Big Kill finishes in such a bang with the main villain dying a Lucio Fulci style death. A major politically incorret moment, which was shocking when I first read it, especially with the little kid pulling the triggle, thinking it was a toy, thus killing the villain.

Al Edwards
12-26-2004, 07:08 AM
Its too bad there wasn't a volume three because I've enjoyed reading all six stories in the two volumes.

Al Edwards
09-17-2005, 03:42 PM
What's interesting about these early stories is the evoluation of the relationship between Mike and Velda.

Paul A J Lewis
09-17-2005, 04:00 PM
I've gone for I, THE JURY, if only for the closing moments:
'It was easy'.

Spillane's work is classic macho fantasy, written extremely well. I love his work :)

I'm also a fan of 'Richard Stark' (Donald Westlake).

Tim Mayer
09-18-2005, 11:46 AM
I actually liked the 80's version of I THE JURY.
"Yeah this is Hammer One, 'ya wanna rock 'n roll with me?"
"I wouldn't miss it for anything in the world, Mr. Hammer."

Al Edwards
07-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Who would your ideal Mike Hammer be in a film that would fit the description of the character in the book? How about Velda? One actor who I feel could have made for an entertaining Mike Hammer is Bruce Willis.

Fred C. Dobbs
07-09-2006, 02:51 AM
Can't remember which book, but one of the Mike Hammer novels begins with the line: "The guy was dead as hell"...or something to that effect. That might be one of my all-time favorite lines.

Al Edwards
07-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Reading the obit from yahoo.com about Spillane, I noticed this reference to a line from Vengenace is Mine about Velda ["There wasn't any kitten-softness about her now. She was big and she was lovely, with the kind of curves that made you want to turn around and have another look. The lush fullness of her lips had tightened into the faintest kind of snarl and her eyes were the carnivorous eyes you could expect to see in the jungle watching you from behind a clump of bushes." ] and wondered if there is any actress alive that fits the description of Velda.

Al Edwards
09-06-2007, 11:36 PM
What would be the one Mike Hammer book that hasn't been made into a film but you would like to see done? The one for me would be Vengeance is Mine, whose twist ending caught me by surprise when I first read the book.

Al Edwards
07-17-2008, 04:00 PM
What did Spillane think of the films/tv series that were made of his Mike Hammer stories? Did he have any favorite? Was there one he wished were adapted into film but never was?