PDA

View Full Version : Sledge Hammer - A Celebration of Violence...

Frank Estrada
06-27-2005, 03:58 PM
... and a damn fine slice of 80's tv that falls squarely into the catergory of "this shit could never be made these days in our ultra soft-ass PC world of ours".

I loved this shit as a kid, but it's one of those things where I was worried about whether or not the humor would hold up nowadays. Well, it does! I got Season 1, and I was cracking up watching all those episodes, they were something else. It's just funny to see someone SO into violence, I dunno.

Seriously, this show is bugged out. Anyone else see it?

Kristian R
06-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Watch the last episode of Season 1 and then the first episode of Season 2. One of the funniest gags I have ever seen...

Frank Estrada
06-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Kristian, did you check out any of the commentaries? That dude is fucked up!

Kristian R
06-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Actually, I haven't checked out the sets yet. I watched the original runs on TV and have a "best of" tape. Perhaps I should rectify this.

Frank Estrada
06-27-2005, 05:29 PM
You have your own personal "best of" tape that you made? Or was this store-bought product? I hope you made it.

You should get the sets. I have the first one, and it's about as cool as tv box sets come - nice packaging, lots o' features, some stupid shit that falls out of the case... it's really cool!

Kristian R
06-27-2005, 05:31 PM
Sorry to disappoint. It was a cheap store bought SLP collection.

Kristian R
06-27-2005, 05:32 PM
I love DVD sets that look great until you take the shrink wrap off.

Horace Cordier
06-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Really funny show - I want those dvds. David Rasche was great. Cool bit of trivia: David Rasche was one of the "bad" cops in that goofy Tom Selleck in prison movie AN INNOCENT MAN. The whole movie, I'm thinking of Sledge Hammer! and just cracking up. It made the movie even better!

Francesco Cesari
06-27-2005, 07:06 PM
SLEDGE HAMMER is my all time favorite TV series. I've seen all the episodes, obviously in Italian, and absolutely love the lead character. Does the DVD set include optional subtitles (English, Spanish or Italian)?

Frank Estrada
06-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Nope, no subs.

Marc Morris
06-27-2005, 09:17 PM
The Anchor Bay UK discs include optional English Hard of Hearing subs.

Frank Estrada
06-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Other than that, is it the same set?

Marc Morris
06-27-2005, 09:27 PM
I assume so - see the specs here (http://www.anchorbay.co.uk/perl/search.pl?CO=ABD4393)

Frank Estrada
06-27-2005, 09:30 PM
I don't remember seeing the two scripts, but other than that and the subs, it looks the same.

mark t
06-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Hate to say it, but this is one show that i thought was fucking great when it was on, but rewatching it recently left me sorely disappointed. Still, the scene with the tape outline around the plane crash had me rolling....

Francesco Cesari
06-30-2005, 02:01 PM
The Anchor Bay UK discs include optional English Hard of Hearing subs.
WHAT? :)

Ok, I can think to buy them.

Frank Estrada
06-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Hate to say it, but this is one show that i thought was fucking great when it was on, but rewatching it recently left me sorely disappointed. Still, the scene with the tape outline around the plane crash had me rolling....

How about the Elvis-shaped chalk outlines! Any show with Elvis-shaped ANYTHING is cool!

Yosi Sergant
07-18-2005, 08:48 PM

I was actually thinking the exact opposite! I remember this show being funny, but I recently picked- up the second series on DVD and was way impressed. Sure the 80's camp is in full effect and the quality of the production was clearly not as good as the first season, but I thought the humor to be way ahead of its time. Its chalk full of political and social satire... I guess I just never noticed all that stuff when they aired it the first time around...

i mean, i was like five and all...

:)

my favorite is the max headroom episode...

Frank Estrada
07-19-2005, 08:32 AM
This show is brilliant. I am still enjoying this set, and I still think it holds up.

Wostry Ferenc
07-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Hate to say it, but this is one show that i thought was fucking great when it was on, but rewatching it recently left me sorely disappointed.

Yup, same here, altough the siege of the police station episode stills holds up pretty good... :) I don't know if its on one of the dvds tho.

Frank Estrada
07-20-2005, 06:29 PM
I'm starting to get the feeling that I have VERY bad taste.

Kristian R
09-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Anne-Marie Martin was married to Micheal Crichton. Trippy.