PDA

View Full Version : Bad film directors NOT named ED WOOD you like

Jeff D.
04-25-2005, 07:26 PM
I know there are alot of fans of schlock out there. So who's your favorite "BAD Film" director that doesnt have the name Ed Wood? Ive recently become a rabid fan of one of the great bad film directors, Juan Piquer Simon. How could I not? If your not familiar hes the guy behind the legendary sickie PIECES. Also from Simon, SUPERSONIC MAN, SLUGS and the dreadful but engaging POD PEOPLE (for me atleast, even without the MSTK guys). Remember you have to like these directors.

Max Page
04-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Uwe Boll is God!

Bill Pissott
04-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Andy Milligan! Mr. "brass one's" himself! :)

Mark Frazer
04-25-2005, 08:46 PM

Ditto on that. I truly think that Milligan was one of the most sincere and brilliant directors of all time.

Darryl M
04-25-2005, 08:52 PM
Another vote for Andy...he is an acquired taste.

Elske McCain
04-25-2005, 08:54 PM
William Girdler
Jim Wynorski

Gunnar Jonsson
04-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Gotta love the late,great Doris Wishman. BAD GIRLS GO TO HELL, THE AMAZING TRANSPLANT and NIGHT TO DISMEMBER (just to name a few) are masterpieces of "bad" drive-in cinema.

Darren Nemeth
04-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Gotta love the late,great Doris Wishman. BAD GIRLS GO TO HELL, THE AMAZING TRANSPLANT and NIGHT TO DISMEMBER (just to name a few) are masterpieces of "bad" drive-in cinema.Definately Wishman is one of mine, too.

H. G. Lewis made a bunch that I like and would consider "bad" but not in the Ed Wood sence.

Damian P
04-25-2005, 11:08 PM
Doris Wishman -I really love her films
Coleman Francis - He really likes shots of nothing
Andy Milligan - not sure if like is the proper word but I do admire his films in a twisted sort of way
Roger Corman - he's either great or Z-grade level bad - I love him either way
Dwain Esper - genius in all the wrong ways
HG Lewis - 'nuff said
William Grefe - I think Grefe is a decent filmmaker but I know he is generally considered a stinker.

Special mention: Hal Warren, one time director of MANOS THE HANDS OF FATE. Amazing man.

Cliff Rialto
04-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Great Bad Filmmakers:

Doris Wishman - Juicy stories, horrible dubbing, random cutaways (lots of feet and furniture...)

Andy Milligan - Made some entertaining films for about 2 cents each (although I think FLESPOT ON 42ND STREET, VAPORS, and SEEDS and actually pretty good).

Lee Frost - Often a good filmmaker, even his bad ones, like ZERO IN AND SCREAM are somehow good (or at least enjoyable).

The Findlays - The films are just not good technically speaking but are oh so enjoyable.

Tim Mayer
04-26-2005, 07:55 PM
CHARLES B PIERCE. I hope I spelled the name right. I actually paid money to see his dog, THE VIKINGS, in a theater. Howwwwwl! The neo-Frazetta poster suckered me in, what can I say? The second of his BOGGEY CREEK sequels is actually pretty funny and the MSTK cast really adds to it.

Jeff D.
04-26-2005, 09:00 PM
CHARLES B PIERCE. I hope I spelled the name right. I actually paid money to see his dog, THE VIKINGS, in a theater. Howwwwwl! The neo-Frazetta poster suckered me in, what can I say? The second of his BOGGEY CREEK sequels is actually pretty funny and the MSTK cast really adds to it.

Pierce is a great choice! I like his "TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN" which we'll probably never get to see on dvd.

William Grefe has made some great "Bad Films" though he might be too good for this lot of directors. Ive had STING OF DEATH /DEATH CURSE OF TARTU in my dvd collection for about 4 yrs and its still one of my top dvds.

Don Guarisco
04-26-2005, 09:38 PM
First off, Greydon Clark - from Al Adamson cast member in DRACULA VS FRANKENSTEIN and SATAN'S SADISTS to making movies for Menahem Golan, this man has toiled many years to give us good trash. And with a track record that includes THE BAD BUNCH, BLACK SHAMPOO, SATAN'S CHEERLEADERS, WITHOUT WARNING, WACKO and JOYSTICKS, his credentials are beyond reproach. Did I mention he worked with Joe Don Baker several times?

Also, Cliff Roquemore. This frequent Rudy Ray Moore collaborater directed the legend in THE HUMAN TORNADO, PETEY WHEATSTRAW and his low-rent concert movie RUDE. He also cowrote DISCO GODFATHER. Each of the above is godly in its schlockiness, especially PETEY WHEATSTRAW, which is my personal pick for The Most Compulsively Watchable Bad Movie Ever Made.

Jeff Gr
04-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Ron Ormond

Also - the already mentioned - Doris Wishman and H.G. Lewis.

Robin Bougie
04-27-2005, 06:00 AM
Greydon Clark. For sure.
Oh, and there is this really really shitty director named Stephen something who made a few really amazing movies very early in his career: Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Duel.

Max Page
04-27-2005, 06:37 AM
CHARLES B PIERCE. I hope I spelled the name right. I actually paid money to see his dog, THE VIKINGS, in a theater. Howwwwwl! The neo-Frazetta poster suckered me in, .

I think you are talking about The Norseman, with Cornel Wilde and Lee Majors

Tim Mayer
04-27-2005, 07:07 AM
Ah, yes THE NORSEMAN. I stand corrected again.

David Huber
04-27-2005, 01:24 PM
William Girdler
Jim Wynorski

Ditto on both of these! I'm esp. fond of Wynorski's earlier output from the 80s; his DEATHSTALKER II is one of my favorite cheapo Sword & Sorcery films.

I also have an unhealthy love of MANOS, so another vote for Hal Warren.

Tom Laughlin's films are amazingly bad and also very entertaining- except for the godawful BILLY JACK GOES TO WASHINGTON. I could watch TRIAL OF BILLY JACK anytime though.

Ted Cogswell
04-27-2005, 11:53 PM
I was scrolling down further and further, not believing that no one had yet said <b>Ron Ormond</b>, thank you Jeff!

Damian P
04-28-2005, 04:32 PM
How could I forget AL ADAMSON. I'm listening to Sam Sherman's BRAIN OF BLOOD commentary as I write this.

Some of Al's films are a snore but I find most of them very entertaining.

Damian P
04-28-2005, 04:36 PM
William Grefe has made some great "Bad Films" though he might be too good for this lot of directors. Ive had STING OF DEATH /DEATH CURSE OF TARTU in my dvd collection for about 4 yrs and its still one of my top dvds.

Agreed, it's just that Grefe often gets tossed in the junk bin. A DVD release of his sleaze-drenched opus IMPULSE with Willam Shatner will set those naysayers staight.

Jeff D.
04-28-2005, 04:41 PM
How could I forget AL ADAMSON. I'm listening to Sam Sherman's BRAIN OF BLOOD commentary as I write this.

Some of Al's films are a snore but I find most of them very entertaining.
Al's perfect! Wonder what happened to the bio-pic that was supposed to be done on him? Thatd be interesting. He really had an interesting life(and death).

Damian P
04-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Al's perfect! Wonder what happened to the bio-pic that was supposed to be done on him? Thatd be interesting. He really had an interesting life(and death).

About a year or so ago a few people on the Mobius board reported that the E! channel showed a documentary on Al and his mysterious death.
If anyone has a copy I'd appreciate a dub.

Matt Farkas
04-29-2005, 10:31 AM
About a year or so ago a few people on the Mobius board reported that the E! channel showed a documentary on Al and his mysterious death.
If anyone has a copy I'd appreciate a dub.

I saw that! It an episode of True Hollywood Story, and yes, it was quite surreal to see Al Adamson profiled and clips from his films on a program and channel that usually features the likes of Will Smith and Jennifer Lopez.

I recall specifically that they interviewed Sam Sherman and Gary Graver, among others. Snippets from the Graver interview also turned up in a THS on Claudia Jennings that aired around the same time (someone at E! is into exploitation films!). I never knew that Graver dated Jennings. Man, that guy should really write a book!

Ryan Clark
04-30-2005, 01:50 PM
Bruno Mattei is certainly the Ed Wood of our time. :D

Wostry Ferenc
05-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Coleman Francis. He really is trying to say something about the cruelness of man in RED ZONE CUBA (he fails miserably, because he is a shit director, none the less...)

Jesper Maintz
05-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Lindsay Shonteff - he did some brilliant B-movies, but has sadly dissapeared...

Andy Johansen
05-05-2005, 06:51 PM
I need to watch more Bruno Mattei!!!

Damian P
05-06-2005, 01:11 AM
Coleman Francis. He really is trying to say something about the cruelness of man in RED ZONE CUBA (he fails miserably, because he is a shit director, none the less...)

I love him for trying, in his Archie Bunker sort-of-way.

John Ellsworth
05-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Larry Buchanan!! In Down on Us he recreates Woodstock in a high school gymnasium and figures out that the government killed Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and tried to kill Jim Morrison because well....They were leading the nation's youth away from that popular teen star Richard Nixon!! that's why! My personal favorite of his though is Zontar, Thing from Venus. Which takes place mostly in a living room and a man sincerely talks to his super computer which hangs on his wall but appears to me to be a car radiator

Ian Miller
05-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Lindsay Shonteff - he did some brilliant B-movies, but has sadly dissapeared...

Good call! I liked THE FAST KILL quite a bit, I have yet to watch my NO. 1 OF THE SECRET SERVICE tape all the way through, and I REALLY need to see THE BIG ZAPPER with Linda Marlowe. His war epic HOW SLEEP THE BRAVE is supposed to be pretty bizarre too.

John Winters
05-07-2005, 04:03 AM
Good call! I liked THE FAST KILL quite a bit, I have yet to watch my NO. 1 OF THE SECRET SERVICE tape all the way through, and I REALLY need to see THE BIG ZAPPER with Linda Marlowe. His war epic HOW SLEEP THE BRAVE is supposed to be pretty bizarre too.

See a triple bill of WHERE BULLETS FLY, SECOND BEST SECRET AGENT IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD and MAN FROM S.E.X for mind numbling experience.

Jackie Coyle
10-13-2008, 02:27 PM
I need to watch more Bruno Mattei!!!

not really........ his movies are B-O-R-I-N-G

To me, Greydon Clark is the man ! !

Devin_Kelly
10-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Great thread here, gang!

Some picks from me would include:

DON DOHLER - the Baltimore trash king, Dohler and friends (literally) have been cranking out mind-eradicating sci-fi for years, beginning in 1978 with THE ALIEN FACTOR and returning most recently as 2007, co-directing DEAD HUNT (made prior to Dohler's passing). In between are some mindless gems, such as THE FIEND (1980), NIGHTBEAST (1982) and THE GALAXY INVADER (1985), most of which star Dohler regulars like, George Stover, Anne Frith and Don Leifert. Sadly, Don passed away in early December of 2006. An unheralded, jack of all trades, prince of B cinema, without question.

JOHN HAYES - another huge favorite of mine not mentioned nearly enough, or even at all. New York born and bred, Hayes gave the world some offbeat chillers that are in my opinion worthy of rediscovery. Two that stand-out for me courtesy Hayes, are first, his ultra-bizarre, DREAM NO EVIL (1970), starring former Oscar winner Edmond O'Brien in one of his last (and no doubt forgotten) roles, Brooke Mills, Hayes regular, Michael Pataki, and reliable stalwart, Marc Lawrence (no secret, one of my favorite character actors of all time). Also, his uber-creepy vampire flick, GRAVE OF THE VAMPIRE (1974), with Pataki in the lead opposite B biker bad boy, William Smith. Their climactic battle is one of the most physically intense encounters ever in a horror film, in my opinion. Also in the cast is another long-time Hayes regular, William Ghul, who also turns up in the director's, THE FARMER'S OTHER DAUGHTER (1965), THE CUT-THROATS (1969), DREAM NO EVIL and ALL THE LOVIN' KINFOLK (1970). Do yourself a favor and track down some John Hayes.

BILL REBANE - another icon of low-grade 70's drive-in ineptitude, Rebane is generally regarded as the King of Wisconsin cheddar. He has most certainly delivered some beauties and actually several personal oddball favorites. Of course, Rebane kicked it all off with his 1965 debut, MONSTER-A-GO-GO (that title, a sure fire name at least to be remembered by), but he may be most known for his 1975 clunker THE GIANT SPIDER INVASION. Other Rebane treasures in my collection include THE ALPHA INCIDENT (1978), THE CAPTURE OF BIGFOOT (1979) and THE DEMONS OF LUDLOW (1983). I'm dying to still get my hands on BLOOD HARVEST (1987) starring a murderous, Tiny Tim(!), and his earlier, RANA: THE LEGEND OF SHADOW LAKE (1975), about the hunt for a deadly half man/half frog creature. God bless Rebane and his Wisconsin-made irreplaceable Seventies Schlock!

I'll no doubt add more to this list later, and it's certainly great to give these masters of disasters their rightful recognition:);)

Tony J Case
10-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Uwe Boll is God!

You know, most people think I'm being sarcastic or something when I say that - but I really mean it. The man is a complete asshat with no discernable talent or eye for quality, but his movies make the BEST "so bad they're good" viewings. House of the Dead is a dreadful flick that I love every frame of - it's so indescribably bad, so over the top - that it's a favorite of mine.

MJ Smith
10-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Another for Coleman Francis, I think the total incompetence of his films add to their power . . . they're like some sick version of "pure" cinema, with no regard to anything beyond the images on screen. :p

gene phillips
10-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Another vote for Lee Frost-- can't believe I left his POLICEWOMEN off my list of top ten exploitation films--

I recently got a little interested in the career of Robert Vincent O'Neil after I watched his BLOOD MANIA, which takes what oughtta have been a simple straightforward murder-opus and mucks it all to hell. He did somewhat better with WONDER WOMAN, a trash classic, and with the first two pictures in the ANGEL series (the one about the avenging hooker, not the HK supercops OR the lonely vampire).

Another vote for the Findlays too, though I still haven't seen the FLESH series.

Devin_Kelly
10-14-2008, 04:51 PM
DON DOHLER - the Baltimore trash king, Dohler and friends (literally) have been cranking out mind-eradicating sci-fi for years, beginning in 1978 with THE ALIEN FACTOR and returning most recently as 2007, co-directing DEAD HUNT (made prior to Dohler's passing). In between are some mindless gems, such as THE FIEND (1980), NIGHTBEAST (1982) and THE GALAXY INVADER (1985), most of which star Dohler regulars like, George Stover, Anne Frith and Don Leifert. Sadly, Don passed away in early December of 2006. An unheralded, jack of all trades, prince of B cinema, without question.

Sweet! Was out and about today and low and behold found the Special Collector's Edition Retromedia DVD of THE FIEND brand spankin' new, factory sealed for $2.99! Really excited, as this is one of Dohler's most mentioned films and I've yet to see it! I know what I'll be watching after work:)

Matt Farkas
10-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Devin, you might be heartened to know that Retromedia also released BLOOD HARVEST a few years back. I believe it's OOP print now (related, IIRC, to a rights dispute with Rebane), but I found a copy to rent at my local video store so it's out there somewhere for ya.

It is, as you might expect, bad. It's cheap and murky-looking, but Tiny Tim throws himself into his performance, Rebane livens up the proceedings with a welcome dollop of skin, and overall it's quite watchably wretched.

Devin_Kelly
10-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Devin, you might be heartened to know that Retromedia also released BLOOD HARVEST a few years back. I believe it's OOP print now (related, IIRC, to a rights dispute with Rebane), but I found a copy to rent at my local video store so it's out there somewhere for ya.

It is, as you might expect, bad. It's cheap and murky-looking, but Tiny Tim throws himself into his performance, Rebane livens up the proceedings with a welcome dollop of skin, and overall it's quite watchably wretched.

Sounds like a keeper! I actually own a few Retromedia discs (THE FEAR CHAMBER, CURSE OF THE VAMPIRES, now FIEND) and have overall enjoyed them a great deal. Fred Olen Ray and company make them both fun and affordable and they also make no qualms about the films they're presenting - good old mindless drek!:D FIEND was topped up with some fantastic extras too, including a Blooper Reel, a gallery for the film, and a gallery just for cult actor George Stover too! FIEND itself was a bizarre little number, featuring the most functioning zombie I've ever seen! Another gem from Don Dohler I'll go into further length about in another thread.

The Retromedia/Bill Rebane lawsuit accused Rebane of double selling the rights to THE GIANT SPIDER INVASION and BLOOD HARVEST after Fred Olen Ray and Retromedia had already paid for those rights - hence the reason BLOOD HARVEST is no longer available. From what I gather, Retromedia prevailed in the matter.

Just picked up QUEEN KONG (1976) special letterboxed edition on the Retromedia label as well!:)

All of this leads me to another king of the B's too. None other than Fred Olen Ray himself! I've always held THE ALIEN DEAD (1980) in particular, near and dear to my heart:)

Ehren H.
10-15-2008, 02:25 PM
When I was working at Troma, they talked about releasing "Blood, Boobs & Beasts", which is a documentary on Dohler. They also have Nightbeast on DVD, I haven' t watched it so I have no idea about the quality of the release.

My favorite bad movie directors:

David DeCouteau
Fred Olen Ray
Uwe Boll
Jim Wynorski

and I've just become obsessed with bad 80's teen comedies, so all those directors as well. Props to Ken Wiederhohrn for King Frat!

F. Paul Russell III
10-15-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm an unabashed RAY DENNIS STECKLER fan. I just can't help it. From INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES... to BLOOD SHACK, the guy just keeps on ticking. WILD GUITAR is genius. And who doesn't love SINTHIA, THE DEVIL'S DOLL?

BobG
10-15-2008, 04:25 PM
I watched Teenagers From Outer Space a couple of weeks back and - besides its obvious (yet entertaining!) shortcomings - something made me think there was some strangeness going on behind the scenes. Then I read this bio of its director, Tom Graeff...:eek:

http://www.tomgraeff.com/graeffbio.html

Ian Miller
10-16-2008, 02:26 AM
I watched Teenagers From Outer Space a couple of weeks back and - besides its obvious (yet entertaining!) shortcomings - something made me think there was some strangeness going on behind the scenes. Then I read this bio of its director, Tom Graeff...:eek:

That's some fascinating reading there, from the Austin McKinney/David L. Hewitt connection to the JC outburst that sounds like something out of THE WORLD'S GREATEST SINNER. I'm ashamed to say that I've never gotten around to seeing TEENAGERS, but I will make an effort now! Which is the best version/disc?

BobG
10-16-2008, 05:20 AM
The Alpha version looks very nice.

Ian Miller
10-16-2008, 05:26 AM
Thanks!

KennethR
10-16-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm partial to Rick Sloane.

Devin_Kelly
10-16-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm an unabashed RAY DENNIS STECKLER fan. I just can't help it. From INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES... to BLOOD SHACK, the guy just keeps on ticking. WILD GUITAR is genius. And who doesn't love SINTHIA, THE DEVIL'S DOLL?

A big time YES from me, Paul! Steckler is one of those cult directors whose work has that unexplainable hypnotic appeal. Like a bad car accident...you know the drill;) Recently got a hold of the rare Canadian pre-record of BLOOD SHACK (1971) on the VEC label ("I warned them not to go inside!" reads the tagline). Seeing the dreaded "Shack" in all of its inept glory has left me pondering, analyzing and hypothesizing a question more baffling than the Caramilk secret... - What the fuck is a Chooper!?!? No, not The Chopper...the mother fucking Chooper!:cool::( Didn't Salt N Peppa write a song about that shit?;) For this journey into the world of masterpiece theater, Steckler decided to call himself Wolfgang Schmidt - ya know, because its just cooler to sound like a member of the Third Reich.

Two others from Steckler that have eluded me for far too long are his sought out schlock shocker, THE HOLLYWOOD STRANGLER MEETS THE SKID ROW SLASHER (1979) (at least, sought out by folks like you and me;) ), and its follow-up, LAS VEGAS SERIAL KILLER (1986), which both sound like a walk right down my grimy, grungy alley. Quite frankly, I'm ashamed of myself for not having gotten to at least THE HOLLYWOOD STRANGLER MEETS THE SKID ROW SLASHER by now - a title that as a kid I walked past and perused numerous times in my old local Ma and Pa video store (which has since become a corporate steaming pile of new releases and Hollywood tripe) without having the knowledge at the time that what I was holding and passing up on was essential Steckler. Both of these have been released via Media Blasters and their Guilty Pleasures line (as have several other Steckler films, such as BLOOD SHACK), although unfortunately I'll have to avoid THE HOLLYWOOD STRANGLER MEETS THE SKID ROW SLASHER disc as it is reportedly missing an entire 8 minute chapter! Totally unacceptable, especially if they didn't bother to eventually correct it. Either way, I will see it one way or another. LAS VEGAS SERIAL KILLER in particular is a real curiosity piece for me. In fact, I hope to come into contact with all of Ray Dennis Steckler's films eventually as I continue to hunt high and low for only the finest trash, much of which comes from this Grade Z God:)

This man on the other hand seemed to be just WARPED! Jesus Christ II?!?! Me thinks old Tommy boy should have just stuck to the lobster silhouettes:o

Devin_Kelly
10-16-2008, 01:58 PM
When I was working at Troma, they talked about releasing "Blood, Boobs & Beasts", which is a documentary on Dohler. They also have Nightbeast on DVD, I haven' t watched it so I have no idea about the quality of the release.

By the way - am I the only one who strongly feels that the world needs a Don Dohler boxed set? Seriously, the man deserves his due credit in the form of a Special Collector's Boxed Set of all of his films, including that documentary you mentioned, Ehren. All of that and interviews with the Dohler regulars who knew him best, like George Stover, Don Leifert, Anne Frith, Tom Griffith, etc. would be just absolutely AMAZING!:) Don passed away in very late 2006, but his films and cult following live on and it is really time someone honored that.

Ian F
04-12-2009, 10:04 PM

Afuckingmen!

Nick P.
04-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Nice thread idea! When I think of most bad film directors, they're usually a one hit wonder for me. Bruno Mattei comes to mind as the only thoroughly entertaining movie I like from him is STRIKE COMMANDO. Here are three directors that have 2 or more movies I really enjoyed and have a firm place in my DVD collection.

SAM FIRSTENBERG (U.S.A.)-REVENGE OF THE NINJA, NINJA III THE DOMINATION, & BREAKIN 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

ARIZAL (INDONESIA)-SPECIAL SILENCERS, THE STABILIZER, FINAL SCORE, AMERICAN HUNTER

CIRIO H. SANTIAGO, R.I.P. (PHILIPPINES)-WHEELS OF FIRE, NAKED VENGEANCE

Ian F
04-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Nice thread idea! When I think of most bad film directors, they're usually a one hit wonder for me. Bruno Mattei comes to mind as the only thoroughly entertaining movie I like from him is STRIKE COMMANDO. Here are three directors that have 2 or more movies I really enjoyed and have a firm place in my DVD collection.

SAM FIRSTENBERG (U.S.A.)-REVENGE OF THE NINJA, NINJA III THE DOMINATION, & BREAKIN 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

ARIZAL (INDONESIA)-SPECIAL SILENCERS, THE STABILIZER, FINAL SCORE, AMERICAN HUNTER

I've never seen Sam's film, but everyone else there is PURE gold especially Bruno! :)

John Black
04-13-2009, 02:16 AM
I like HOLLYWOOD STRANGLER/SKID ROAD SLASHER very much, it's virtually a silent movie! However, I had no idea that the DVD is missing an entire reel. Does anyone know what is missing, in terms of content? I used to have the film on VHS back in the early 1990's, and I didn't notice anything missing on the DVD. However, there's about a ten year period between my viewings of the VHS and the DVD, so anything is possible.

John Black
04-13-2009, 02:19 AM
I do recall Steckler creating shorter "director cuts" of his films when they were being marketed through Sinister Cinema, I think it was. Is it possible that the DVD of HOLLYWOOD STRANGLER simply contains the shorter director's cut? I think that the DVD of BLOOD SHACK contains two different cuts, both BLOOD SHACK and THE CHOOPER, and that one cut is about ten minutes shorter than the other.

charlesyron
04-13-2009, 03:04 AM
Gotta love the late,great Doris Wishman. BAD GIRLS GO TO HELL, THE AMAZING TRANSPLANT and NIGHT TO DISMEMBER (just to name a few) are masterpieces of "bad" drive-in cinema.

I love Deadly Weapons. BTW, have you ever watched Night To Dismember with the commentary? It's incredible.

Zane C.
04-13-2009, 03:06 AM
Add me to the list of Bruno Mattei fans! He's an acquired taste, but also a "bad movie director" that is fun to watch. His action movies are especially amusing!

Also, I have a soft spot for Amando De Ossorio. I think you could argue he's a "bad movie director", even though his films like TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD are fun as hell! :D

While we're talking Euro directors, you could make a case for Paul Naschy. Coffin Joe (Jose Mojica Marins) is another name that pops to mind as well, as far as South American directors go.

charlesyron
04-13-2009, 03:08 AM
I'm a huge Bruno Mattei fan, from Rats to Cruel Jaws.

charlesyron
04-13-2009, 03:09 AM

I have Naked Vengeance on vhs, but I haven't watched it yet...

Garrett Sorensen
04-13-2009, 03:23 AM
Greydon Clark - Without Warning, The Final Justice, Wacko & The Return.

Jim Wynorski - Too many to name but I really enjoyed being at the premiere of his Cry of the Winged Serpent.

Michael Winner - I think Scream for Help is the most consistently hilarious/bad movie ever made. I haven't seen his good films yet either.

Robert Clouse - Deadly Eyes, Gymkata, Black Belt Jones, along with some films I like because they are fun and bordering on good.

Uwe Boll - Of course.

Randy Thomas G
04-13-2009, 04:20 AM
BTW, have you ever watched Night To Dismember with the commentary? It's incredible.

The commentary for that is classic. I love Doris.

Outside of Wild Guitar, my favourite Steckler films are his absurd xxx films. Both volumes on ABA are keepers.

Nick P.
04-13-2009, 10:02 AM
I have Naked Vengeance on vhs, but I haven't watched it yet...

I hope it's the 97 minute Uncut version because 20 minutes taken away can make a difference on your impression of the film.

Jeff D.
04-13-2009, 10:47 AM

I'd love for Santiago's films to get dvd attention. I might be one of the only ones:)

Jim Bryans movies are excruciatingly brilliant

Fred Adelman
04-13-2009, 03:09 PM
I'd love for Santiago's films to get dvd attention. I might be one of the only ones:)

Jim Bryans movies are excruciatingly brilliant

You aren't the only one who wishes for Santiago's films to get a legit DVD release:

http://www.critcononline.com/cirio_h_santiago_film_reviews.htm

Jeff D.
04-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Petiton time!!

Nice reviews Fred. So many damn gems in there

Randy Thomas G
04-13-2009, 06:00 PM
The Santiago films I've seen while often absurd in a variety of ways are also well constructed and propulsive, so I wouldn't put him in the same category as Wood, Wishman, etc.

I would also love to see more legit releases of his films, maybe Tarantino can help out as he's a well-known fan.

John K
04-14-2009, 02:12 AM
I do recall Steckler creating shorter "director cuts" of his films when they were being marketed through Sinister Cinema, I think it was. Is it possible that the DVD of HOLLYWOOD STRANGLER simply contains the shorter director's cut? I think that the DVD of BLOOD SHACK contains two different cuts, both BLOOD SHACK and THE CHOOPER, and that one cut is about ten minutes shorter than the other.

There's definitely something wrong with the DVD - it plays about 10 seconds of chapter 9 (or whatever chapter it is), then just skips to chapter 10 (or whatever the next chapter is). And it's not like it's leaping over it or something, either - the content is just not on the disk, and one of the chapters is resultantly only about 10 seconds long. I somehow doubt Media Blasters (or any reasonable DVD company) would make a 10 second long chapter, and I've since seen some shots from old tapes containing the missing footage to confirm.

Anyway, in a film as elliptical (read: doesn't go anywhere) as this one, it really doesn't matter. We just miss out on him strangling one more model. On some of the other releases ("Hell High" and "Warlock Moon" are the two I know of) it probably matters more, but as it stands, I'm fine with the film being 10 minutes shorter (though I am sad I miss out on 10 minutes of Joe Bob Briggs' commentary). [Oh, final piece of evidence for the missing footage: Steckler's commentary is cut off in mid-sentence at the skip, and joins him again mid-sentence at the start of chapter 10]

Richard C
04-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Another Santiago fan here (well of the films that I have seen). Didn't realise that he had made so many films actually. I'll have to have a read of your reviews when I get a chance Fred.

Steven McLaughlin
04-15-2009, 01:42 PM
I was scrolling down further and further, not believing that no one had yet said <b>Ron Ormond</b>, thank you Jeff!

I was thinking the same thing. It took 14 posts to mention Ormond??
I don't understand why Ron Ormond doesn't have Ed Wood-type status!

Ryan C
04-21-2009, 11:03 AM

I'm with the Milligan admirers. This guy's work is so singularly unique that you have to appreciate it, even if you don't like it, per se. It could literally only come from one mind. Andy Milligan wasn't just a bad film director, he was a bad film auteur. I hope any and all folks interested in Milligan have had a chance to read "The Ghastly One" --- I honestly think it's the best film bio since Rudolph Grey's book on Ed Wood all those years ago.

Blake L.
04-21-2009, 02:00 PM
How about Jerry Warren?

JeffCramer
04-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Howard(aka Hikmet) Avedis- director of The Teacher, the Sybil Danning slasher They're Playing with Fire, The Fifth Floor and yes, the Bill Paxton classic, Mortuary. Who cannot forget the moment Bill Paxton prances through the graveyard?

Lawrence D. Foldes-Don't Go Near The Park(Linnea Quiqley's debut and one of the most inept film ever), The Great Skycopter Rescue

Renee Harmon-(OK, I'm cheating here, she isn't the director) but she's writer and producer of the double bill VHS of Executioner II/Frozen Scream. Anyone who watched this VHS, beware....

Tommy K
04-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Bruno Mattei and Claudio Fragasso. The dynamic duo! :D
I love their film, even thought they are fucking terrible.

Blake L.
04-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Donald Farmer is another one.