04-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Coming soon.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=99364110546289&item_id=681114

John G.
04-14-2005, 08:30 PM
I thought you weren't a fan Bill...

Bill Pissott
04-14-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm not the biggest fan John but there are others who are so I just thought I'd pass on the news.

Ian Miller
04-14-2005, 10:43 PM
That's cool, I've seen that movie SOOOO many times, the extras would have to be very special. However, I DO appreciate you lookin' out for me, Bill!

And John, tell me about your obsession. I'm a Hendrix nut, and probably know WAAAAY more than is good for me!

William R.
04-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Is this the one that starts with a weird colors then pans out to show a Hendrix mural? That one really messed with my head.

Zane C.
04-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Hmmm...I've been wanting to see this. I'm a Hendrix fan, and this may be a purchase. Thanks for the info! :D

Bill Pissott
04-15-2005, 12:08 AM
That's cool, I've seen that movie SOOOO many times, the extras would have to be very special. However, I DO appreciate you lookin' out for me, Bill!

You know I had you in mind Miller when I started the thread. :)

Did you see the extra's for the disc? Good enough for a buy?

Ian Miller
04-15-2005, 12:15 AM
Ehhhhh, good enough for a rental, and maybe a used disc purchase. I need the EXPERIENCE disc more than anything.

Ian Miller
04-15-2005, 12:17 AM
Is this the one that starts with a weird colors then pans out to show a Hendrix mural? That one really messed with my head.

That's JIMI PLAYS MONTEREY, I believe, where an artist is doing some splatter art and it slowly turns into a Hendrix mural. Pretty impressive, really.

Bill Pissott
04-15-2005, 12:19 AM
Ehhhhh, good enough for a rental, and maybe a used disc purchase. I need the EXPERIENCE disc more than anything.

I may actually check this out. I've never seen it and the price is not bad so we'll see.

Ian Miller
04-15-2005, 12:21 AM
You should, it may really open you up to him. As someone who digs the uniqueness of different live performances you will probably get a lot out of it.

Bill Pissott
04-15-2005, 12:26 AM
You should, it may really open you up to him. As someone who digs the uniqueness of different live performances you will probably get a lot out of it.

You're probably right. Afterall, I do really like "Band Of Gypsies" so why not give this a shot. I know "Gypsies" is with different musicians but it's still Hendrix doing what he does on that guitar.

John G.
04-15-2005, 12:31 AM
And John, tell me about your obsession. I'm a Hendrix nut, and probably know WAAAAY more than is good for me!
Actually, I'm not very big on Hendrix... although I really don't turn to his albums that often, the man was certainly talented.

That said, my favorite Hendrix song is easily "Crosstown Traffic..." absolutely brilliant song.

Ian Miller
04-15-2005, 12:34 AM
Oh, I thought when you said that your "Bob Dylan was getting Hendrixized" you meant that you were getting heavily into him, haha! I guess I read what I wanna read.

John G.
04-15-2005, 12:37 AM
Oh, I thought when you said that your "Bob Dylan was getting Hendrixized" you meant that you were getting heavily into him, haha! I guess I read what I wanna read.
Hahaha, no that was a reference to Hendrix' superior version of Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower." You've got to excuse me... I'm often guilty of spouting off Dennis Millerisms. :D

Bill Pissott
04-15-2005, 12:41 AM
Hahaha, no that was a reference to Hendrix' superior version of Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower."

I gotta agree with John. Hendrix has done the best version of this song bar none IMHO. Though Dave Mason's live version is really good especially if you like those twangy strats. :)

Ian Miller
04-15-2005, 12:42 AM
Now it all makes sense. :)

Ian Miller
04-15-2005, 12:43 AM
I gotta agree with John. Hendrix has done the best version of this song bar none IMHO. Though Dave Mason's live version is really good especially if you like those twangy strats. :)

Didja know that that's Mason playing 12-string on the Hendrix recording?

Bill Pissott
04-15-2005, 12:44 AM
Didja know that that's Mason playing 12-string on the Hendrix recording?

No I didn't and that's why we are all damn lucky to have you around! :)

Ian Miller
04-15-2005, 12:48 AM
Aw shoot, I told ya I knew more than was good for me!

Thanks.

Bill Pissott
04-15-2005, 12:51 AM
Aw shoot, I told ya I knew more than was good for me!

Thanks.

Welcome. Your musical knowledge is a huge plus, trust me on that one. Have you heard Mason's live cut of the song Miller?

Ian Miller
04-15-2005, 12:55 AM
Ummmmmm, maybe? I know my mom had a live Dave Mason record that she played once in a while, but of course all I can think of is "Only You Know And I Know", if that's the name of the song. Killer player, though, his solo on "Dear Mr. Fantasy" is great.

Bill Pissott
04-15-2005, 01:00 AM
Ummmmmm, maybe? I know my mom had a live Dave Mason record that she played once in a while, but of course all I can think of is "Only You Know And I Know", if that's the name of the song. Killer player, though, his solo on "Dear Mr. Fantasy" is great.

Yep, that's the name of the song. I usually think of "We Just Disagree" when I think of Mason. He plays the "Mr. Fantasy" solo on the studio cut? I have the live "Welcome To The Canteen" CD and truthfully I'm not sure who is soloing but one has to be Mason because there are two different solo's in that version.

Ian Miller
04-15-2005, 01:03 AM
Well, it's weird, because I've seen footage of 1970-era Traffic doing it with Winwood on guitar, and it sounds damn close to the studio cut, but I'm about 99.9% sure it's Mason on the record. He and Jimi were very close at the time, and it sounds like Dave paying tribute, at least to my ears.

edited to add:

I'm also about 99.9% sure that the openig lick on SGT. PEPPER'S is McCartney, also paying tribute to Jimi, who returned the favor onstage at the Saville Theatre the week that the record came out. He was cool like that.

Bill Pissott
04-15-2005, 01:09 AM
I didn't know that about McCartney and Sgt. Pepper's. Pretty damn cool. I also have seen 70's footage of Traffic doing "Mr. Fantasy" on VH1 Classic and you are right, it's Winwood doing the solo alone so I assumed he did it in studio too but I wasn't sure. That video is excellent though it cuts off as the song picks up the pace towards the conclusion.

Robert Lawson
04-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Hahaha, no that was a reference to Hendrix' superior version of Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower."

While I do consider Jimi's "Watchtower" to be one of the best Dylan covers ever, there's no way that its superior IMO to the acoustic original.
Hendrix added alot to it but Bob's original has a timeless quality to it.

Bob's live version is actually very upbeat and energetic like Jimi's.

Just my 2 cents.