PDA

View Full Version : Are any Santo movies public domain?

J Fresta
03-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Are any of the El Santo movies in the public domain? I mean...I know Beverly Wilshire released the few English dubbed ones....but didn't they discover that those weren't p.d.? Or am I thinking of something else?

And while we're on the Mexi-horror subject....is Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy p.d.?

thanks

Damian P
03-08-2005, 12:26 AM
I suspect not as just about every seller of these videos/DVDs had to withdraw their titles from sale.
The films were sold quietly as underground bootlegs for many years but once companies put the films in every other store the rights holders caught on.

Torstein Karlsen
03-08-2005, 02:47 AM
What would be the best Santo movie to start with, I have no knowledge about them, just that alot has been made :)

Gary Banks
03-08-2005, 08:21 AM
For sheer goofy fun I would endorse Samson Vs The Vampire Women or Santo Vs Frankenstein's Daughter.

Ian Jane
03-08-2005, 11:21 AM
I'd second Vampire Women. It's my favorite of the ones I've seen.

William R.
03-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Thirds for VAMPIRE WOMEN, my favorite of what can be found on dvd. The best Santo films have yet to be released in legit form, but I'm a sucker for all his films.

Ian Jane
03-08-2005, 01:18 PM
There's just something about a masked wrestler making time with the ladies and stopping to play chess with his pal before busting out monster ass that appeals to me.

William R.
03-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Agreed. I can't imagine what my childhood would've been like without Santo. Santo and Coffin Joe had a huge impact on how fucked up I am today.

Ian Jane
03-08-2005, 02:47 PM
I've never seen that one, but I think Santo taking on the mafia would make for a good time.

J Fresta
03-08-2005, 03:23 PM
so nobody knows for sure if any of these are public domain? :confused:

William R.
03-08-2005, 03:29 PM
I've never seen that one, but I think Santo taking on the mafia would make for a good time.

Definitely. I prefer Santo taking on monsters and zombies, but his films without fantasty elements are are a lot of fun too. ANONYMOUS DEATH THREAT and SUICIDE MISSION are my favorites of the non-monster genre. SANTO VS THE VICE MAFIA is a decent crime film with nifty Bond-esque gadgets and if you ever run across THE MYSTERY OF THE BLACK PEARL you should grab it on sight. If you pay attention you can see Burt Reynolds from the movie SHARK towards the beginning of the film since it was used for a bit of stock footage.

Oh, and Jason, SAMSON VS THE VAMPIRE WOMEN is public domain. As far as I know it's the only one (or at least the only one I could verify).

J Fresta
03-08-2005, 04:03 PM
Oh, and Jason, SAMSON VS THE VAMPIRE WOMEN is public domain. As far as I know it's the only one (or at least the only one I could verify).

Perfect! :) thanks!

ok....now i need to prove it to my cable access channel.

William R.
03-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Perfect! :) thanks!

ok....now i need to prove it to my cable access channel.

I don't know if this helps, but it's listed as PD here:

http://www.reelmediainternational.com/

Damian P
03-08-2005, 05:54 PM
I loves me some SAMSON VS THE VAMPIRE WOMEN. The film is a hoot and has great old school atmosphere.

Andy Johansen
03-09-2005, 06:52 AM
Dont forget TURKISH SPIDERMAN which features a turkish version of Santo. He is fighting alongside captain America to fight evil spiderman. This movie is among my funniest.

William R.
03-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Dont forget TURKISH SPIDERMAN which features a turkish version of Santo. He is fighting alongside captain America to fight evil spiderman. This movie is among my funniest.

Indeed. 3 DEV ADAM is definitely top tier entertainment. As is pretty much all of the crazy films I've seen come out of Turkey (Only Indonesia comes close for sheer insanity). For some reason, I never really group it in with Santo films as a whole. I think the Turkish films deserve their own category for special praise. Superman, Star Wars, Exorcist, Wizard of Oz, Star Trek... etc. Brilliantly absurd, every one of 'em.

Jeff Gr
03-09-2005, 09:22 PM
What would be the best Santo movie to start with, I have no knowledge about them, just that alot has been made :)

Santo Vs. Frankenstein's Daughter.

Damian P
03-10-2005, 03:36 AM
Just scored SANTO VS. THE ZOMBIES via SWV's Johnny Legend label.

Yeh for me.

Are Samson and Santo considered the same or is that an error many people make?

Gary Banks
03-10-2005, 07:37 AM
They are the same. For some reason in the three films K Gordon Murray bought and sold to tv affiliates he redubbed Santo as Samson. In the background of Vampire Women at the arena you can hear the crowd chanting "Santo! Santo!"

William R.
03-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Just scored SANTO VS. THE ZOMBIES via SWV's Johnny Legend label.

Yeh for me.

The Unatmed Video VHS with the cheetah print-esque background and the dude choking out Santo? Or is it DVD-R. I still got the VHS from SWV. Along with SANTO VS. BARON BRACOLA and SANTO VS. THE GHOST OF THE STRANGLER. Those two have fairly cool looking covers. The Untamed Video ZOMBIES looks like a concert flyer gone awry.

Chris Workman
03-10-2005, 01:36 PM
None of these are public domain, thanks to NAFTA, passed in 1996.

Damian P
03-10-2005, 06:48 PM
The Unatmed Video VHS with the cheetah print-esque background and the dude choking out Santo? Or is it DVD-R. I still got the VHS from SWV. Along with SANTO VS. BARON BRACOLA and SANTO VS. THE GHOST OF THE STRANGLER. Those two have fairly cool looking covers. The Untamed Video ZOMBIES looks like a concert flyer gone awry.

It's the The Unatmed Video VHS. Loves that Johnny Legend.

Ian Miller
03-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Ever meet him? He's a TRIP.

Damian P
03-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Ever meet him? He's a TRIP.

No, but I've heard some commentaries with him and seen some interviews, etc. I also have his album Rockabilly Bastard: Best of Johnny Legend.
His cover of the "South Is Gonna Rise Again" rules.

Where did you meet him?