PDA

View Full Version : Friday the 13th: The Series

Troy Howarth
01-21-2005, 02:35 PM
This Canadian-lensed 80s show had no tie to the F13 series beyond the participation of Frank Mancuso, but I used to enjoy the hell out of it. Any other fans? And any plans to put this out on DVD?

Best episodes that I can remember were a black and white vampire episode and an episode that dealt with "Psychic Healing" directed by Cronenberg in full Dead Ringers mode.

Mike Brown
01-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Is that the show based around the bookstore or antique shop? If so, I don't remember it well, but I thought it was pretty cool at the time.

Troy Howarth
01-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Yep, that's the one. Singer/model (and all around hot 80s chick) Robey and Chris Wiggins starred in it.

Derek Long
01-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Ya, I liked the show a lot when it originally aired - watched it every week for all three years. I haven't seen it since so I have no idea how well it holds up today. I do remember it started getting a little stale during the third season since the list of antiques or objects to get possessed started running thin. And the lead actor left the show after season 2 (I think they wrote around it by making his character turn into a young boy somehow!) and then a new actor came in as a different character to be Robey's sidekick. It didn't work too well that last year, but was still pretty good tv horror overall

I believe the show was called "FRIDAY'S CURSE" in some overseas territories.

Paul Chenault
01-22-2005, 08:44 PM
I thought it was horrible...

I am interested in seeing the Cronenberg episode though.

Terry Burke
01-22-2005, 09:01 PM
I only remember seeing it once or twice. It was so long ago that I can't say if I enjoyed it or not. Old age is hell!

Josh S
01-22-2005, 11:52 PM
I only remember seeing a handful of episodes, but I really enjoyed them. I can't remember any details, though, and I doubt I'd buy a box set unless it was really cheap.

Troy Howarth
01-23-2005, 01:35 AM
Hopefully it will get a DVD release at some point. Cronenberg completists really need to get their hands on his episode - it's not top tier DC, but I remember it being very good and very much "in tune" with his filmography.

Tim Mayer
01-23-2005, 05:41 PM
I really enjoyed the series when it was first on TV. Gave me something to look foreard to every week. Did anyone ever notice how Robey's hair style changed weekly? Well, that was during the Big Hair Big 80s. I do think the show tanked when the Nerd was replaced.

Troy Howarth
11-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Picked up the 1st series as part of the DDD sale... and while I dreaded finding it to be much worse than I remembered, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Cronenberg's episode, about a faith healer who uses a magic glove to remove illnesses from people only to transfer said illness to an unwitting victim, is the best and most visceral thus far. The show stumbles when it gets too ambitious for its budget - the otherwise effective Poison Pen episode has a climax that elicits giggles when it goes into FX territory - but it's not half bad on the whole. The first episode, about a killer doll, is probably the weakest and gets things off to a ropey start, but it's worth sticking with it. I'm really enjoying revisiting it, and I hope the other two seasons get released, as well.

Jeff D.
11-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Hey Troy, how do the episodes look quality wise on this set? Ive been hearing mixed reviews

Troy Howarth
11-27-2008, 06:28 PM
They're certainly acceptable, but they don't look great; that said, I don't know that that's the fault of the transfer so much as it is the cinematography...

Dick Ringeisen
11-27-2008, 07:05 PM
I agree, this is a ncie set. I also like that they made the multi-DVD set fit inside a standard DVD case! A nice space saver.

I have not watched much of my Season 1 set, though from what I saw, it looks decent for a television show form the 80's.

One of my favorite episodes was from Season 2 (I think). It was about this children's playhouse that ate people, and the kids that owned it had to lure people inside it, to feed the playhouse. Good stuff.

Troy Howarth
11-27-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't remember that episode! Here's hoping the other two seasons get released... I've had bad luck with shows that come out for one season, and then the studio shows no interest in doing further seasons: Kojak, The Equalizer, etc.

Dick Ringeisen
11-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Season 2 of Friday the 13th is due to be released on the same day Tales from the Darkside, Season 1 is released. After that, there is only 1 more season of Friday the 13th to be released. If they release 2 of the 3 seasons, I'm sure the 3rd season will follow.

I hope all the seasons of Tales from the Darkside are released. I also hope the series Monsters has the same treatment.

Max Page
11-28-2008, 01:50 AM
I think I will wait, as they now have a habit of releasing all the season in a box set, and give you bonus stuff that you didn't get had you bought them individually.

J Dewey Wallis
12-01-2008, 03:36 PM
They've shown a couple of afternoon marathons of the show on the SciFi channel. I recorded them to gauge whether the show held up and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well they work.

I mean, its not brilliant stuff by any means, but as fun, breezy, obvious, horror pulp, it really succeeds. Its also funny how it is a precursor to the X-Files in many ways: Canuk backdrop, wisecracking & supernatural sleuthy male leads, cute redheads, similar synth scoring, tone (at least to the earlier monster-of-the-week X-Files), and F13 series was broadcast in syndication on what was my Fox affiliate.

Troy Howarth
12-02-2008, 07:25 PM
I like the X Files parallel!

I finished the first season - it really goes downhill over the last four episodes, but overall I really enjoyed it. The episodes vary in effectiveness, obviously, but it's done with a sense of fun without betraying contempt for the genre.

I'll be getting the second season, for sure.

J Dewey Wallis
12-03-2008, 02:48 PM
The second season, as far as I can recall, had a pretty good cliffhanger?/two part finale.

Unfortunately the third season was when the show really jumped the shark by casting a new, cooler, male lead, Johnny Ventura, Ace Camaro, Ricky Nitro, something like that. Even as a less jaded teen, I knew it was too dopey, desperate, and pandering.

Tim Mayer
12-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeah that third season ruined it for me.
I always loved watching Robey's hairstyle change each week.

Eric R.
10-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Just purchases Season 3 or "The Final Season". I really love this show - the perfect amount of extreme horror mixed with cheese. Season 3 wasn't bad as I was expecting. I miss the character Ryan but the episodes are still really good.

Nick Schwartz
10-25-2009, 06:29 PM
I never caught the show when it first aired, but I bought them all and they're pretty brilliant. The Final Season amped up the gore factor and worked better than I thought it would. All and all, this is one of the better shows nobody is watching, and it's a shame.

Jim R.
11-07-2009, 09:35 AM
I remember in the 1990s A & E Network aired this as FRIDAY'S CURSE. I saw the Cronenberg episode, and another one about a scarecrow directed by William Fruet. I want that scarecrow episode. What season was this one part of?

Alex K.
11-09-2009, 12:46 AM
I never got into it when I was younger. I couldn't figure out why they had never shown Jason. The one episode I clearly remember, features a ballerina being manipulated with a music box by this guy, and at the end they're both mutilated by mirrors. I'd love to see that Cronenberg episode though.