PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 4.

Frank Estrada
01-17-2005, 09:12 AM
They got rid of the shitty controls, and the pre-rendered backgrounds.

They got rid of the mansion, the dogs, and the zombies.

And they added a bunch of crazy folks who cuss at you in Spanish and throw shit at you. It's the new Resident Evil, and it is possibly the greatest horror game ever. If you don't believe me - try it!

Josh S
01-17-2005, 01:13 PM
I've only played it for a couple of minutes at Game Crazy, but I haven't heard anything but glowing reviews yet. Between this, Punisher and Manhunt (I know I'm way behind) I'm sure to pull about a 1.5 GPA this semester.

Frank Estrada
01-17-2005, 03:57 PM
The reviews are on point - this game is the best one on the system, and maybe this generation of consoles.

William R.
01-17-2005, 04:07 PM
I guess I'll check it out then. Does my lukewarm reaction to every other RE game count as a handicap?

Frank Estrada
01-17-2005, 04:23 PM
No, because they fixed everything that was fucked up with the previous versions. I had tried the remake of the first one, and I found it pretty to look at, yet dull to play and hard to control. I sucked at it, and gave up. This one, I was instantly hooked. It's just about perfect. It's hard, but it's so fun you just don't care.

Jesper Maintz
01-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Any idea, how much playtime you get in RE4?

William R.
01-17-2005, 06:08 PM
Any idea, how much playtime you get in RE4?

From the producer:
"It's on par with other action games at about 10-15 hours to clear," said Kobayashi. "The length is definitely going to depend on how skilled the person playing it is at these type of games, especially in this genre."

Jesper Maintz
01-17-2005, 06:37 PM
From the producer:
"It's on par with other action games at about 10-15 hours to clear," said Kobayashi. "The length is definitely going to depend on how skilled the person playing it is at these type of games, especially in this genre."
Thanks William!

It sounds like it takes about the same time to finish as the earlier games, and I think that 10 hours of gameplay is too little to justify a full prize game. Itll be a rental for me, but I do admit it sounds like good, spooky fun.

Clint C
01-17-2005, 09:31 PM
RE4 looks amazing! I'll be picking it up soon.

Frank Estrada
01-17-2005, 09:35 PM
The dude at the game store said it took him 21 hours. He said he talked to someone who did it in 9. That guy must have no life. But there are so many unlockables, and so much hidden shit, that it has mega mucho replay value. I suck at games, so it should take me about 20-30 years to complete it.

SOMEONE besides me and Josh has to try this game. It's the shizz, baby.

Josh S
01-17-2005, 10:01 PM
I suck at games, so it should take me about 20-30 years to complete it.

hahaha

Same here. I'll be purchasing this game sometime between Wednesday and Friday. I have to buy school books first, but I'm sure I'll have enough left to grab this and maybe Punisher.

Clint C
01-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Fuck it! Maybe I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Chad Haden
01-17-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm gonna pick it and The Punisher up tomorrow

ROBERT BLACK
01-17-2005, 11:11 PM
DOOD, KU-ON based on the Ju On The grudge films could be the shizz part 2. Below is the Japanese key art and my capsule review from another site.

I wish I could post stills from this game.

I've been playing it for a while now instead of watching films. It's setting and game design is stunning. Ostensibly Japanese,with a dark red hue, stark whites, and high contrast to many of the colour schemes. It's eerie atmosphere is very similar to Fatal Frame. But it has noticeably greater detail in character design and more variances of fluid motion. The sound design isn't as good as Fatal frame but I don't think I've come across a game to ever match that one's creepy soundscape.

It's plot is simple.Set in feudal Japan, Nitsuki and her sister journey to they're master's home in the hills to find him missing. They search the mansion's gardens, but Nitsuki gets seperated, from her sister by falling stone blocks. as Nitsuki frantically searchs a series of bizarre events unfold. Could the master have fallen prey to a similar curse as the one in the Ju On films? Could be. :D

I haven't played enough of it to fully recommend it yet, but if you can find it for rent definitely go for it. They're enough good points to interest even a hardcore survival horror gamer. But remember it's HEAVY on the atmosphere in lieu of action.

Kristian R
01-18-2005, 03:02 AM
I will be picking up RE4 before too long. I just finally picked up Halo 2 and need to make time to play it before I get into anything else.

Frank Estrada
01-18-2005, 09:25 AM
I played RE4 last night, and it made me poo my pants.

Gregg K
01-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Ok... listen... 1) you are a horror fan 2) like video games ? Then you need to run, don't walk, to the store and purchase this game. I loved the first two games in the series, but I don't believe this is factor. Capcom seriously put alot of work into this game and it shows. This game is already at the top of my list of favorite games ever.

The mutant alligator boss fight... possibility the greatest boss fight ever.

Gregg K
01-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Odd... double posted. I like that game and all.. but don't need to tell you twice. :)

Ray Kanne
01-18-2005, 02:24 PM
The dude at the game store said it took him 21 hours. He said he talked to someone who did it in 9. That guy must have no life. But there are so many unlockables, and so much hidden shit, that it has mega mucho replay value. I suck at games, so it should take me about 20-30 years to complete it.

I've been waiting for this game a long time now, and will buy it as soon as it hits the shelves. It's not out yet over here. I have to wait another month or so. :mad:

Frank Estrada
01-18-2005, 03:48 PM
That's okay, Ray. Because now you will have some time to spend with friends and loved ones before finally becoming a hermit. Because that is what this game will do to you. So, say goodbye to everyone - because they won't be seeing you in a while.

Clint C
01-19-2005, 02:11 AM
Well I picked RE4 up today and I'm blown away. It is absolutely stunning. I've only been able to play it for about an hour and I'm hooked.

I tried to charge through the village and the chainsaw wielding maniac decapitated me! It was amazing!

My copy came bundled with a making of DVD. Anyone get any goodies with theirs?

Frank Estrada
01-19-2005, 02:18 AM
That guy fucked me up, but I eventually killed him.

Jeff Thomas
01-19-2005, 06:50 PM
ENOUGH!!!!! I need this game, and The Punisher, and Snake Eater, and....and.... Fuck it, I am goin to Best Buy!!!!!!

William R.
01-19-2005, 07:07 PM
ENOUGH!!!!! I need this game, and The Punisher, and Snake Eater, and....and.... Fuck it, I am goin to Best Buy!!!!!!

I think you might want to go for one title at a time there. Sensory overload of awesomeness might cause your eyes to melt and your brain to blow out your ass.

Frank Estrada
01-20-2005, 01:04 AM
The mutant alligator is fucking me up.

Frank Estrada
01-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Well I picked RE4 up today and I'm blown away. It is absolutely stunning. I've only been able to play it for about an hour and I'm hooked.

I tried to charge through the village and the chainsaw wielding maniac decapitated me! It was amazing!

My copy came bundled with a making of DVD. Anyone get any goodies with theirs?

McNut knows what's up.

What is on the dvd? I just got the regular ol' version.

Gregg K
01-20-2005, 09:35 AM
The mutant alligator is fucking me up.

One of the coolest bosses ever imo... and then I saw the boss after that. This game is worth the $155 you'll spend to get the gamecube and the game.

Paul Casey
01-22-2005, 04:11 PM
McNut knows what's up.

What is on the dvd? I just got the regular ol' version.

The dvd is a ten minute making of.

Josh S
01-27-2005, 01:02 AM
I finally got this game tonight. I only got to play for a short while (wife was watching Freinds), but I gotta say it's every bit as good as my preview at the store made it seem. I think my XBox just became a dust collector.

Is it just me or do this people seem to have a slight Hispanic accent?

Frank Estrada
01-27-2005, 02:23 AM
Well, they ARE speaking in Spanish...

Josh S
01-27-2005, 12:14 PM
hahaha

Are they? I wasn't paying enough attention to notice if they were actually saying anything. I also skipped the opening movie, if that said anything about them being in Spain.

Peter S
02-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Those who want the full Resident Evil experience obviously need to pick up this bad boy as well as the game

http://213.238.202.163/boxshot.php?id=38369&typ=large

Jesper Maintz
02-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Better late than never, but I waited for the PS2 release for this game, and Ive been playing it for the last couple of days.

Easily the best game in the series, its a spooky ride and we are finally out of the boring hospitals, schools ect ect, that made all the other games a little boring.
And its really thrilling to sit through, because of the save system - I was at the edge of my seat more than once. Ill probably beat it tomorrow, and this game is recommended - IMO, not as recommended as some of the other posters make you believe (I still think the original SILENT HILL is the best survival horror game ever), but its a joyful ride - and its really nice to see Capcom get the finger out of their asses and upgrade the game design.

Isaac K.
03-31-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm WAAAAAAY late to this party on account that I took about a decade off from gaming (last console I had was PS1). My wife was never a gamer but when she confessed to me recently that she wanted a Wii fit I jumped at the opportunity. Anyways, Resident Evil 4 is now down to $15 so I snatched it up. Man, I thought I was NEVER going to get through the village! I was down to my last bullet, cornered, and about to get a scythe through my skull when I decided "Fuck it" and used my only incendiary grenade to roast those SOBs. I thought I was going to die for my 7th time regardless, but just at that moment the bells rang and the villagers all flocked to the church. I guess I finally killed enough of them to move on. It's been a lot easier since then, but that's probably because I'm more familiar with the controls now. I haven't fought the alligator boss yet, but before I shut it off last night I reached the lake and caught my first glimpse of it.

This game is a great change of pace from the tired old zombie motif of RE 1-3. Didn't this turn out to be like the "Halloween 3" of video games or something?

Pete Bogh
03-31-2010, 02:52 PM
RE4 is simply one of the best horror games ever; I had waited for the ps2 version as well and was blown away that it actually lived up to the hype. The only problem with 4 is that it's so good, it made RE5 a *huge* let-down for me. Hopefully you continue to have fun going through the rest of it!

Darcy Parker
04-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Nothing after Resident Evil - Code:Veronica should even have the name on it. Capcom destroyed the series with the action-game bullshit they started on 4 and the plot rewrites they started on the GameCube remake of the first game. 4 is a joke and 5 is even worse with the forced co-op garbage.

Isaac K.
04-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Nothing after Resident Evil - Code:Veronica should even have the name on it. Capcom destroyed the series with the action-game bullshit they started on 4 and the plot rewrites they started on the GameCube remake of the first game. 4 is a joke and 5 is even worse with the forced co-op garbage.

For real? I don't know about that. With exception to the change in locale and replacing zombies with non-zombies (which are really just zombies with weapons) RE 4 seems awfully faithful to the previous installments to me. What about this one makes it any more "action game" than the others? Aside from the camera panning, I mean.

I'm now relatively far into the castle. Kind of wish that I had more ammo.

Darcy Parker
04-04-2010, 04:48 AM
For real? I don't know about that. With exception to the change in locale and replacing zombies with non-zombies (which are really just zombies with weapons) RE 4 seems awfully faithful to the previous installments to me. What about this one makes it any more "action game" than the others? Aside from the camera panning, I mean.

I'm now relatively far into the castle. Kind of wish that I had more ammo.

The run-and-gun gameplay, the high-tempo situations instead of slow-burn survival-focused scenarios, the ability to buy upgrades and ammo instead of having to scrounge for what you need. What made the first 4 games (RE 1, 2, 3, Code:Veronica) special was the extreme resource limitations and overwhelming odds of death at any second. You had to think, you had to be cautious, and you had to perservere against nearly impossible odds. 4 and 5 are just action games with very little demand for planning or skill.

As far as plot, 4 is not really connected to the rest, but 5 continues down the path laid out by the remake of 1, with the whole Wesker being the man behind everything idiocy. In the original plotline, he was paid off by Umbrella to keep the mansion lab undiscovered, then eliminate the S.T.A.R.S. teams once they found it, but nothing more than that. After the original producer/scenario writer left Capcom following part 3, Shinji Mikami changed everything for the worse, making Wesker a super-genius and part of the actual T-Virus research team, rather than just a crooked cop.

Pete Bogh
04-13-2010, 07:11 PM
I can tell you feel pretty strongly about this!

The best thing about the series for me was its atmosphere: dark, decaying, abandoned mansions and towns, filthy laboratories, overwhelming dread, walking corpses and obtuse puzzles between you and progress. The art design and settings have always been its real strong points, and I'll admit, more critical to me than the plot. (And as long we're talking about the 4th installment, the sound design in particular was incredible: the villagers, monks and the music and ambient noise in general was super engaging and creepy.)

It always felt like the convoluted and clunky pseudo sci-fi story did nothing but take away from the mood and feel of the survival scenario, which is all that mattered in the end. Those rough edges did add a sort of trashy B-movie artifice, since the series is so obviously channeling horror cinema, but the closer you looked at the plot, the more meaningless it became (for me).

But a special mention for The Stationary Camera of the first games: both a blessing and curse, you'd sometimes get these great gothic/horror, tension-filled perspectives on the action, but it could also be an incredible pain in the ass. You'd hear enemies but you couldn't always see them right away (even if your avatar was looking straight at them from 5 ft away!), and the punishing control scheme made lining up even the simplest gun shots an almost herculean task if you had to act fast. I can definitely see how the purist might hate the change, but by the time RE4 came around I think both the developers and many players were feeling it getting stale to be stuck in a fixed viewpoint. It can't have been an easy decision for the developers.

As for difficulty, it really sucked that you had to complete RE4 before you could unlock and play the harder game modes - I did find the reduced ammo and other factors made it more tense and challenging.