PDA

View Full Version : Ichi The Killer letdown.....

Jennifer S.
12-17-2004, 06:26 PM
I decided to give this too myself as a birthday present,since I had waited so long to see it.

Unfortunately I was quite underwhelmed by the film. What the hell was all the hype about????? What film were they watching when they hyped it up as an extreme over the top gore fest dark comedy?????

I was extremely surprised to see how ungory most of the film really was. The two scenes when Ichi kills numerous people are all offscreen. The only 'gore' is aftermath gore in such cases...and yes I was watching the unrated 129 minute version!

The other dude barely kills or tortures anyone. Only the 'hook' sequence was particularly nasty and disturbing. Yet even that,was less graphic than I was lead to believe. The 'pins and arm pulling' sequence was also abit painful.

But those are only two scenes in a very overlong film. Not worth hyping it up as a 'disturbingly over the top sick gorefest comedy'. Heck I am surprised so much footage was cut from the R rated version(comparing running times) when it looks to me like the uncut version could get an R rating,maybe with a few seconds here or there cut..but not 12 minutes!

Other than the surprise at how less gory the film really was,compared to what the hype says. The tone of the film,was the main problem I had with the material.

I am told this is a very quirky darkly funny film. Yet the majority of the film was a dead serious played straight drama!

I did not see any 'comedy' in the material expect a couple brief moments. The funniest of them all was the aftermath of the tongue cutting sequence.

Meanwhile the rest of the film was mostly serious drama from begining to end. So when Miike attempted to add outrageous humor,as in the sequence where Ichi murders aton of bad guys he fails. Sure its abit amusing seeing all that blood come flying out of the room(as the actual violence is offscreen),and comes off very cartoonish. Yet it feels out of place with the tone of the majority of the film.

Also I felt the film was about 40 minutes too long and could have easily been 90 minutes or less..and best if the director stuck with whatever tone he was aiming for. Either make it truely serious and disturbing,or an over the top cartoon comedy. Trying to mix the too didn't work too well.

So while the film had it's moments and was 'interesting' to say the least. I was still quite disappointed and would rate it **1/2 out of **** stars.

I am even more confused why Best Buy refuses to stock the unrated version in their store! They act like the film is 'too' much and could get them into deep trouble if carried in store(such as,wrong person buys it..and bitches etc). But that makes no sense since Terror Firmer,Toxic Avenger 4 and Dead Alive(+ others) are more nonstop disgustingly graphic than ALL of Ichi! Yet B.B. carries those uncut with no problem,but only carry Ichi in R rated form!

Jonny Redman
12-17-2004, 07:34 PM
I am even more confused why Best Buy refuses to stock the unrated version in their store! They act like the film is 'too' much and could get them into deep trouble if carried in store(such as,wrong person buys it..and bitches etc). But that makes no sense since Terror Firmer,Toxic Avenger 4 and Dead Alive(+ others) are more nonstop disgustingly graphic than ALL of Ichi! Yet B.B. carries those uncut with no problem,but only carry Ichi in R rated form!

Best Buy may have a problem with the unrated versions misogyny. The beatings of some of the women in the unrated version are quite heavy handed. I've not seen the R version but I'm assuming it's along the same lines as the UK version which has all the gore but the women beatings cut out...

Ian Jane
12-17-2004, 07:46 PM
They probably cut the spunk out of the R cut as well.

Bill Pissott
12-17-2004, 08:06 PM
Unfortunately I was quite underwhelmed by the film.

So was I and that is putting it mildly. Probably the biggest Asian film disappointment I have had.

Jonny Redman
12-17-2004, 08:10 PM
So was I and that is putting it mildly. Probably the biggest Asian film disappointment I have had.

Bill,
Were you underwhelmed for the same reasons as Christina? It seems he built up a different film in his mind due to the hype etc. Did you see Ichi before the hype kicked in or because of it?

Bill Pissott
12-17-2004, 08:29 PM
Bill,
Were you underwhelmed for the same reasons as Christina? It seems he built up a different film in his mind due to the hype etc. Did you see Ichi before the hype kicked in or because of it?

I was aware of the film for sure and had read about it on the net but I didn't really build up anything in my mind beforehand other then the fact that many people liked it so in that respect, I was really looking forward to it. Although I fall into the trap every now and then, I'm pretty good at keeping expectations for any film to a bare minimum. I mean, I'm the ultimate judge in what I like or don't like regardless of what is said or written about a film so I have kind of learned to just watch it with no real sense of expectation either way.

I did fall into the hype with both "Kill Bill" films and was really looking forward to both of them but they too were major disappointments probably, I must admit, because I was expecting too much.

Jennifer S.
12-18-2004, 02:48 AM
Well I did view the film with as little expectations as possible. When I saw it was nowhere near what I had thought it would be(conjuring up my own images from what I read). I just sat back and attempted to see where the film goes and if it pulls me in or not. It was still a dissapointing film for the reasons I stated before(erratic confused tones). Yet I do admit it has 'some' good moments/styles etc scattered throughout. It just does not all come together into a pleasing whole of a film.

I would love to give Miikes films a fair chance. But they are all too hyped up by people.

I really want to see Dead or Alive,but unfortunately can only find the R version for rental. This is where my dilemma falls,since I would hate to spend more money buying films I may not like. But I don't want to see the censored versions either.

Garo N.
12-18-2004, 11:30 AM
I saw Ichi at it's premier at the Toronto Film Fest and hated the film. I thought the film was over long with horrible pacing and worst of all, I found the title character, Ichi, annoying. All he did was act like a pussy and whine (if I want to see people whine, I'll watch Magnolia) like a little bitch throughout the film. Every time Ichi was on screen, it was like nails on a chalk board. I feel Ichi is Miike's worst film.

David Huber
12-18-2004, 01:18 PM
I actually loved ICHI; it's one of my favorite Miike films. I thought it was one of the few movies I've seen that actually commented on people's obsession with/attraction to violence successfully while still being able to revel in vioent behavior. I found the characters compelling and the violent scenes fascinating and well-staged, and I love endings that make you think, which ICHI did. I can see how the movie could not be to everyone's taste, but I figured I'd throw a positive post in here. Christina, weren't you squeamish about the tongue-cutting scene? Even thinking about it now makes my neck hair stand up :eek:

Keturah Anderssen
12-18-2004, 03:18 PM
I was extremely surprised at how tame this movie was. I'd been told, and had read, that the movie was filled with graphic gore. However, I found most of the killings and violence portrayed here to be comic book in appearance! Admittedly, this wasn't my type of movie, but I did come away wondering what is thought to be so stomach turning about it.

Jennifer S.
12-18-2004, 04:46 PM
Christina, weren't you squeamish about the tongue-cutting scene? Even thinking about it now makes my neck hair stand up :eek:

Yes the tongue cutting was nasty and painful to watch. But the aftermath of the sequence WAS hilarious with how 'calm and cool' whatshisname acted with "excuse me" and left. While the people in the room look on in disgust,horror,disbelief..and one guy faints.

One of the few moments I thought the outrageous humor worked in the film.

mark t
12-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Yes the tongue cutting was nasty and painful to watch. But the aftermath of the sequence WAS hilarious with how 'calm and cool' whatshisname acted with "excuse me" and left. While the people in the room look on in disgust,horror,disbelief..and one guy faints.

One of the few moments I thought the outrageous humor worked in the film.

That was the "dark comedy" part of the film that you were alluding to eluding you earlier.

I thought that this movie was decent, of course i hadn't really had any hype prior to the film. ICHI was almost my introduction to Asian cinema, outside of countless martial arts flicks that i had seen as a kid.

The scene with the nipple slashing was really the only one that disturbed me, outside of the beatings.

Fred Hana
12-20-2004, 05:40 PM
I love the movie. Miikes second best.

Hans Adams
12-20-2004, 06:34 PM
This is one of my top three favorite Miike's: Ichi, Gozu, and his remake of Graveyard of Honor. One of the best things about Ichi the Killer was Tadanobu Asano. He's one of my favorite Japanese actors and his role is a highlight in the film. Aileen Sun was pretty cool, too. :)

Clint C
12-20-2004, 06:39 PM
I found most of the killings and violence portrayed here to be comic book in appearance!
Well, Ichi the Killer was based on a Manga.

That said, the beating that Ichi jerks off to at the beginning is one of the most brutal I've seen on film.

Mike T
12-20-2004, 10:01 PM
In the day, I saw Miike's AUDITION and liked it for it's creepy tone, grotesque imagery, and perverse twist. Then, every man and his dog across the 'net started foaming at the mouth about ICHII THE KILLER, so having been mildly impressed with AUDITION I decided to follow suit. But though some of the cartoon violence was appropriately garish, the characters quirky, and the idea of a "crybaby killer" was a nice dig at what was considered the norm in genre fare...the appalling misogyny, sexual violence and general mean-spirited tone successfully put me off Miike for life. I have never seen anything so completely offensive (to me personally) as ICHII - I certainly understand that much of it was intended as black comedy and satire, but its sexual violence is well beyond my limits. And thus...no more Miike for me, though I am fighting the urge to see BIRD PEOPLE OF CHINA... :confused:

As a side note per "Aileen" Sun...it's actually Alien (as in "extraterrestrial") Sun!!! :p Chinese actress Paulyn Sun (Suen Kai Kwan) adopted the English name of "Alien" for a short period, but it appears of late that she's reverted back to Paulyn (an appropriation of "Pauline"); as well as gone back to TV movie and television work in Hong Kong. I think the only things I ever liked her in were Michael Mak's ISLAND OF GREED and Yuen Chun Man's MR. MUMBLE...

Fred Hana
12-21-2004, 04:39 PM
One of the best things about Ichi the Killer was Tadanobu Asano. He's one of my favorite Japanese actors and his role is a highlight in the film.

I totally agree. I dig that guy! You should check out "Electric Dragon 80,000 Volt" too, the man even did some artwork for the movie!

Mike T
12-22-2004, 06:24 AM
Personally...I preferred Asano in ZATOICHI and Pen-Ek Ratanaruang's LAST LIFE IN THE UNIVERSE...most particularly LAST LIFE, actually... :p

Bill M
12-22-2004, 08:31 AM
I really want to see Dead or Alive,but unfortunately can only find the R version for rental. This is where my dilemma falls,since I would hate to spend more money buying films I may not like. But I don't want to see the censored versions either.
i can get a used copy of it from www.digitaleyes.net for 9.98
in fact its the one i trade din there so i know its in excellent condition
the only miike films i kept after buying was Audtion..it wa th eonly one i felt i would watch again..although i enjoyed the other ones i had i woudl have nevr watched them more than once probably