PDA

View Full Version : Why does so many people want EYES OF FIRE so bad on DVD?

walter o
12-13-2004, 02:10 AM
I am really curious, for I never understood why people like this film, I felt it was rather disjointed, when I owned a video store in the 80's, every customer who rented it complained about it, I spoke with the owner of the film, and he told me many DVD labels, including many that you would think would be interested in this film, turned it down flat, saying it wount sell enough and/or the film is a bore. Yet seems like alot of fans who post on horror boards seem to want it out badly. So please tell me, Is there something about this film that appeals to many of the cult fans out there? When it played theatrically, it came and left in less than 5 days at multiplex that usually plays horror flicks.

Marshall Crist
12-13-2004, 03:02 AM
I'd buy it. It's offbeat. It has cool, almost psychedlic imagery. Naked women covered in mud is always good. I'd like to see the longer version.

Elske McCain
12-13-2004, 09:27 AM
I have it on laserdisc. I have not watched it in years, but as a child, I thought it was boring.

Mike T
12-13-2004, 09:41 AM
Maybe like a lot of "lost" films, simply because it isn't on DVD, thereby not being readily accessible, makes it more desirable? I can hardly remember it to be honest, as I saw it on video when it was dumped directly that route here in Oz donkey's years ago. But then, maybe my mad indulgence of many exploitation titles around the same time in the late eighties (MASSACRE IN DINOSAUR VALLEY, the 21st Century Poe remakes, THE DEAD PIT, the brief run of Wild Street films, EDGE OF SANITY, PHANTASM II et al) make it more forgettable? I don't remember it being "all that" to me... :confused:

Ryan B
12-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Kinda boring in my opinion. Twisted but lacking.

Tim Mayer
12-14-2004, 12:00 AM
Well I guess I'm in the minority here. I've always thought EYES OF FIRE was one of the great unsung classics of the 1980s. I loved the movie when I first saw it on VHS and kicked myself for not seeing it when I had the chance to do so in a theatre. Of course, I felt the same way about LADY IN WHITE, which came out about the same time, but is at least availible on DVD.

Chuk H
12-14-2004, 12:51 AM
Count me as a fan of EYES OF FIRE. I'd love to have it on dvd. I don't think it's boring at all. I think it works well at capturing the fear and superstiton of the time ( frontier America). I've always had a soft spot for haunted woods movies and EYES OF FIRE succededs at capturing the feeling of horror one feels when awakened in the middle of the night by a screech owl while camping in the middle of nowhere.

Nigel B
12-15-2004, 04:42 PM
Well, it seems no-one is aware that EYES OF FIRE is already available on a PAL disc from Thailand on the PMEG label. I've always been a fan of this weird Horror-Western cross-over flick, with its psychedelic imagery and Lovecraftian forest demons since I first viewed the old U.K. VHS way back in the 80s, so when I heard of this disc I made it my business to track it down pronto. I'm glad I did because it turns out to be a substantially longer edit of the film, running 4m41s longer than the U.K. sell-thru/rental tape, and does have noticably different footage in places, especially at the end. Could this be the legendary 'directors cut' at last? The picture is a lot darker than the old video, but the DVD has far better colours and sharper picture, though it could/should look better - digitally remastered this is NOT... Still, that being said I'm just glad to have the full(?) print!

DVD RT = 85.49

U.K. VHS RT = 81.08

Both DVD and VHS are PAL so made timing a lot easier! This disc is reputedly a little hard to find now, so it may well be deleted. It will certainly do until someone does this underrated film justice with an extras-packed Special Edition or something. We can all dream, right?

Ryan B
12-15-2004, 08:23 PM
What scenes were added on the dvd?

Nigel B
12-15-2004, 09:22 PM
SPOILERS: Well Ryan, I haven't done a detailed side-by-side comparison yet, but I did notice that right at the end of the DVD we see that the two woman who put the kids in the packing crate and float them downstream to safety survive the final encounter with the ghosts of the French settlers (in the shorter version it was left in limbo as to whether they lived or died) - we get an extra scene where the two women, now cleaned up and apparently building a raft, look up and see the bearded trapper who fought and killed the witch/demon walking out of the forest towards them - he meets and embraces his erstwhile estranged wife as the other woman (whose husband died in the cursed valley) looks on. Then we go back to the three kids being interrogated by the French - extra footage here includes a flower magically materialising in one of the younger girl's hand and a guard walking towards them whose eyes suddenly glow demonically (huh?!), freeze frame, end credits... there must be other little bits extra elsewhere, but like I said I ain't got around to comparing in detail yet. I do prefer the film in this extended version, corny ending notwithstanding.

wade parker
12-18-2004, 11:18 AM
I don't know why this film splits horror fans down the middle. Either you hate it for its disjointed narrative and error in logic, or you love it for its dreamlike quality. I personally adore the film and would welcome a remastered special edition DVD.

EYES OF FIRE remains the best (only?) horror film set in the time of the settlers. It benefits from a suffocating atmosphere of claustrophobia, and the woodland setting is mysterious and unique, with Native American demons lurking behind every tree. I have yet to understand why people dislike it. I mean, it has a demon infant girl for crying out loud!

Ryan B
12-18-2004, 12:04 PM
SPOILERS: Well Ryan, I haven't done a detailed side-by-side comparison yet, but I did notice that right at the end of the DVD we see that the two woman who put the kids in the packing crate and float them downstream to safety survive the final encounter with the ghosts of the French settlers (in the shorter version it was left in limbo as to whether they lived or died) - we get an extra scene where the two women, now cleaned up and apparently building a raft, look up and see the bearded trapper who fought and killed the witch/demon walking out of the forest towards them - he meets and embraces his erstwhile estranged wife as the other woman (whose husband died in the cursed valley) looks on. Then we go back to the three kids being interrogated by the French - extra footage here includes a flower magically materialising in one of the younger girl's hand and a guard walking towards them whose eyes suddenly glow demonically (huh?!), freeze frame, end credits... there must be other little bits extra elsewhere, but like I said I ain't got around to comparing in detail yet. I do prefer the film in this extended version, corny ending notwithstanding.

I SWEAR I remember that in the US version....I have the Vestron video and you find out that the little girl was telling this story about what happened to her and the people think its odd and THEY have those red eyes and freeze frame.....

Marshall Crist
12-18-2004, 01:33 PM
I SWEAR I remember that in the US version....I have the Vestron video and you find out that the little girl was telling this story about what happened to her and the people think its odd and THEY have those red eyes and freeze frame.....

Yeah, that's right. The shorter version must just have further cuts.

Nigel B
12-18-2004, 02:52 PM
As I clearly stated in my original posting, the comparisons I have been able to make have been between the Thai DVD and the old U.K. VHS release. The U.K. tape is clearly shorter and a different edit - we are not talking censor cuts here as the music doesn't jump etc. and none of the deleted footage is violent or involves nudity, and it's all very smoothly done. It may be Director approved or not, I wish I knew. The Thai DVD may well be exactly the same as the Vestron NTSC tape, I've never seen it myself so can't really comment. If the Vestron tape is shorter than the original theatrical edit then we now have THREE different edits knocking about out there! Anybody out there have any info on the original edit?

Ritchie A
12-18-2004, 03:19 PM
This comments in this topic have made me really want to check this flick out :cool: Seriously, it sounds pretty interesting.

wade parker
12-19-2004, 11:51 AM
You should check it out, Ritchie. Copies can be found pretty cheap sometimes on eBay or Half, or if you have a Mom and Pop store in your town, they probably have it.

Just remember: the pace is slow, but you can develop a feel for the woodsy atmosphere and aura of dread which seeps into the film as it progresses. Check it out, you shouldn't be sorry.