PDA

View Full Version : Old Boy Ultimate Edition (Slight problems)

Jonny Redman
11-30-2004, 05:32 PM
Apparently there's a few minor problems with the new Old Boy 'Copper Box' edition...

Early recipients have found some slight damage to the cardboard boxes that hold the discs inside the tin, minor scuffing from the rivets, and the tin itself is a bit 'oily'...

Other than that the set looks very nice indeed. There's screen shots of the packaging and some comments about the damage etc at the link below.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=5584779#post5584779

My copy is in transit, should be here any day, so I'll let you know what damage, if any, my copy has.

Ian Jane
11-30-2004, 06:16 PM
I really wanted this, still do, but just couldn't justify dropping that kind of coin on it.

Jonny Redman
11-30-2004, 06:33 PM
I really wanted this, still do, but just couldn't justify dropping that kind of coin on it.

I hear where you're coming from it's a lot of money for one film, especially with the small amount of English options available on this set (One comm track in English, and one Documentary with subs) but just look at the box set on this link...

http://www.madmad.co.kr/detail.html?dvd_id=9958

You can't deny it's a nice bit of kit.

I'm just glad this is shipping during the run up to christmas, that way when the parcel arrives I can bullshit my wife (when she asks me what the parcel contains) and says it's a gift and she's not allowed to look at it. ;)

Ian Jane
11-30-2004, 06:54 PM
For sure, it's gorgeous looking. If I'd have had the excess cash I likely would have sprung for it.

I'm curious about the greasy packaging though. haha.

Jonny Redman
11-30-2004, 07:14 PM
I'm curious about the greasy packaging though. haha.
I'll let you know how greasy mine is, when it comes. :D

Jari K
12-02-2004, 05:24 AM
I want this also, but not sure about the price. Only these extras have English subs or audio:
-Audio Commentary by film critic Harry Knowles (in English)
-"Judgement" (short film directed by Chan-wook Par, burned in English subs)

Book is also in Korean.

But it sure looks sweet..

Fred Hana
12-02-2004, 05:33 AM
I loved the film, but this is too expensive. Im very satisfied with my korean 2 disc.

Jonny Redman
12-07-2004, 05:53 PM
Just as an update as regards the damaged slipcases in the Old Boy UE Copper Box...

Anyne who bought their set via YesAsia can get replacement slipcases by emailing them a photo of the damaged slipcases and quoting their order number. Replacements will be mailed out in January.

BTW Ian my box wasnt very greasy at all when it came, though after I rubbed it a few times with a dry cloth it did leave some residue...

Ian Jane
12-07-2004, 06:00 PM
That's just..... weird.

Is the presentation of the film the same as the two disc Korean release (which is the one I own)?

Jonny Redman
12-07-2004, 06:09 PM
That's just..... weird.

Is the presentation of the film the same as the two disc Korean release (which is the one I own)?

The film itself has been remastered and looks a tad better than the previous 2 disc edition there's some comparisons at the link below... Make of them what you will.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380994&page=5&pp=25

Ian Jane
12-07-2004, 06:13 PM
Hmm.. the colors definitely do look better on the new release.

Jonny Redman
12-07-2004, 06:22 PM
There's a 2 disc edition of the new remastered version on the way for those who didn't want to fork out for the copper box...

Jonny Redman
12-07-2004, 06:25 PM
Old Boy: Final Edition...

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1003928322/did-0/code-k/section-videos/

Ian Jane
12-07-2004, 06:54 PM
Dammit stop tempting me, Redman! Must .... resist.... double.... dip....

Jonny Redman
12-07-2004, 07:08 PM
I must say I'm tempted to triple dip looking at the cover of the Final Edition... :D

I really love this film.

Ian Jane
12-07-2004, 07:15 PM
The cover is what's tempting me too. I should just wait for the domestic release, but...

You see Three Extremes yet? What'd you think of Chan Wook-Park's segment in there?

Jonny Redman
12-07-2004, 07:21 PM
The cover is what's tempting me too. I should just wait for the domestic release, but...

You see Three Extremes yet? What'd you think of Chan Wook-Park's segment in there?

I've not seen it but I am making it one of my priorities to do so. What have you heard about it ?

Ian Jane
12-07-2004, 09:48 PM
I've seen it. It's interesting. At first I didn't know if I got it or not but the more I thought about it the more I liked it.

Jari K
12-08-2004, 03:44 AM
This (UE) seems to be pretty much OOP now. Some sites still list it, but they don´t have it I guess..

I got e-mail from Koreandvds a few days back, that the set is shipped, so they might still have it.

Btw: If you have some problems with the case, this is what the company says:

(Source) http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=380994&perpage=25&pagenumber=8

"Here's the FULL notice from Starmax

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firstly, we would like to sincerely apologise to customers for damage to
the digipak caused by rivets in copper case of the old boy UE released on the 23rd of november.
Regarding this, we have decided to exchange the digipak for customers after reviewing the problem.

Customers can apply to exchange through eMail for given period of time, depending on the exchange application, we will send the new ones out when new digipaks have produced..
further details fo exchange is outlined below.
-----------------exchange details------------------------

eMail Subject:
OLD BOY UE DIGIPAK EXCHANGE APPLICATION (to seperate from spam mail, please write the subject as given)

eMail Body:
1. NAME
2. ADDRESS (It will be sent through registered post, therefore please
write address which the product can be handed)
3. PHONE NUMBER (Phone number which can be answered at all times)
4. Serial number (please record product number in front of copper case)
5. Damaged disc (e.g. Movie / Supplement disc No.1)
6. Others (Film cut damage or other added problems)

Subject of exchange:
1. Digipak damaged by rivet in copper case
2. are only subject to change, but if you
have damage to other digipak, send it to us, we will exchange it after
review.
3. Current exchange is for digipak only, excludes dvd holder inside the
digipak.
4. If there is other issues, point it out in the "Others" in your eMail,
we will action it after review.

Exchange period:
1. Application: 1st DEC 2004 ~ 20th DEC 2004 !!!!!!!!!!! (note the time)
2. Dispatch: 23rd of DEC 2004 Bundle post (please be advised that
postage could be delayed due to end of year holiday season)

Exchange appliaction eMail.
starmax21@hanmail.net
(Please understand we do not accept any queries other than eMail)"

Jonny Redman
12-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Looks like if you ordered the Old Boy UE from YesAsia the question of getting replacement digipacks is a little easier. All you have to do is respond to the email they send you and you will get new ones when they are manufactured...

Here's the email I got...

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you very much for your support to YesAsia.com.

With reference to your recent order (*******) placed on 24-Sep-04, it has come to our attention that there maybe a production problem with "Old boy Ultimate Edition" making the packing case for Disc 1 and 2 damaged easily. In connection to such a situation, we have contacted the distributor, "Starmax Co., Ltd., Korea" regarding the above-mentioned problem and they agree to replace the defective packing case for Disc 1 and 2 for our customers. If you have encountered the same problem, please kindly notify us by replying this email on or before Dec 20, 2004 so that we can notify Starmax Co., Ltd., Korea on the number of replacement case. However, may we have your kind attention that their new batch of replacement case will become ready by early January 2005 and thus, please kindly expect to receive the replacement case by mid to late January 2005.

If you have encountered defect or damage on the captioned item other than the above specified, please kindly provide us with a supporting image when you reply to this email so that we can try to negotiate with Starmax Co., Ltd., Korea to see if a replacement is feasible.

On the other hand, if you have already reported your defective case to us but not yet send back your item, please also reply to this email so that we can include your case in this replacement process. If you have already returned it and it reaches us on or before Dec 20, 2004, we will arrange to include your case in the replacement process but if you have already returned your item but your returned item does not reach us on or before Dec 20, 2004, we will have no way to include your case in this replacement process and Starmax Co., Ltd., Korea may not entertain any further claims. In this case, we will have no choice but to refund the relevant product price to your YesAsia account for your next or future shopping.

Please kindly accept our sincere apology for this unexpected incident. Should you have any further inquiry or comment regarding this item, please do not hesitate to contact us at service-global@yesasia.com.

For better service, please include this email when you reply.

Yours sincerely,
Customer Service Department
YesAsia.com, Inc.
Within US & Canada: (888) 716-5753 (US toll-free number)
Outside US & Canada: (852) 2522 1227(Hong Kong number)

JasonC
12-10-2004, 11:49 AM

Amazing. Cut was amazing. Chan Wook-Park is my current favorite along side Haneke. I'm kind of upset that SIMPAN is only in the UE version of OLDBOY, especially since the sound on the UE version is inferior to the SE edition. I already own a version on DVD, so I personally can't justify $100 for 25 minutes of Simpan and slightly different color. I know people didn't like the colors on the SE, but Chan-wook Park made that decision. It was his vision to keep it as such. Chan-Wook Park didn't take part in the mastering of the UE (he was filming CUT) so they re-mastered it themsevles. It made people happy, but it's no longer how he wanted the film to be seen. I guess it then comes to down to personal taste...

either way it sucks you can only get Simpan on the UE...I really wanted to see it :mad:

Ian Jane
12-10-2004, 12:10 PM
I'd really like to see Simpan as well. Maybe Tartan will include it on their upcoming R1 release?

JasonC
12-10-2004, 12:15 PM
Let's hope so.

On that note, being new to this board. What does everyone think about the fact they are doing a remake?

Ian Jane
12-10-2004, 12:22 PM
I don't think it'll work but it's hard to say without seeing it. It'll really hinge on who directs it and who plays the lead.

I could see Gary Oldman in the part...

Jari K
12-10-2004, 06:19 PM
Interesting (debate, that´s for sure.. ;) ):
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare7/oldboy.htm

Haven´t got the UE set yet.

Jonny Redman
12-10-2004, 06:36 PM
I don't think it'll work but it's hard to say without seeing it. It'll really hinge on who directs it and who plays the lead.

I could see Gary Oldman in the part...

As regards a remake of Old Boy and who would fit the part of Dae-su Oh...

Mickey Rourke.

Bill M
12-15-2004, 09:22 AM
just ordered the FE along with Sympathy For Mr Vengeance. Havent seen either of these but have heard good things

Jonny Redman
01-24-2005, 04:56 PM
Just to update as regards the damaged slipcases in the Old Boy UE.

I received two new slipcases plus an snazzy insert (to protect the slipcases from further damage) this morning from StarMax.

Kudos to StarMax for fulfilling their promise of replacing damged product. :) :cool:

Jari K
01-25-2005, 04:05 AM
I did have some very minor scratches on the spines of two (slip)cases, but I forgot about the exchange. Do I have to contact KoreanDVDs, or Starmax, can´t remember now? ;)

Jonny Redman
01-25-2005, 08:51 AM
I did have some very minor scratches on the spines of two (slip)cases, but I forgot about the exchange. Do I have to contact KoreanDVDs, or Starmax, can´t remember now? ;)

You had to email Starmax with a photo of the damaged slipcase(s), ltd edition number etc, and you had to do this by early last December. So I'm afraid you may be too late :(

Jari K
01-28-2005, 12:12 PM
I guess so. "Damage" was very minor, so this isn´t a big problem. No loose discs or anything, and the film played just fine. :)

Jari K
02-02-2005, 05:03 AM
How about that. I got the package from KoreanDVDs (where I ordered Oldboy UE), and I thought that what it was, since I haven´t ordered anything from them lately. Well, I opened the package, and there were 2 new slip cases for the Oldboy UE. The funny thing is, that I didn´t ask these for them nor made "complain" to KoreanDVDs.

Nice customer service, or maybe they simply made a mistake. ;)