Being Twenty B
Mister Scarface B+
The Boss A
La Mala ordina A-
Milano calibro 9 A
Slaughter Hotel C

Jonny Redman
02-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Just from looking at this picture he seemed a smooth, good looking guy... Name another Director that could pull off the 'knotted at the waist' shirt look?

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/1747/fernandocovm5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I admit I don't know that much about the guy, I love pretty much every film I've seen Directed by him. Anyone know anything about what kind of a guy he was? I saw a brief clip of him slating guys like Elio Petri for trying to be too clever (I think it's on the Kidnap Syndicate DVD) instead of just 'making movies'...

Any thoughts on Fernando?

Paul A J Lewis
02-01-2007, 06:55 PM
I love di Leo's movies: he was a filmmaker who was concerned with exploring social issues through the medium of popular genre cinema. He had a consummate understanding of narrative and his films show a strong ear for 'clippy' dialogue too. In fact, I would go so far as describing di Leo as the Howard Hawks of Italian popular cinema: he shares Hawks' distrust of cinema that tries too hard to be 'worthy' or 'meaningful' whilst at the same time demonstrating an ability to effectively combine satire and social comment with 'lowly' genre cinema. Di Leo always struck me as being somewhat self-deprecatory too, and this seems somewhat evident in filmed interviews with him.

Jonny Redman
02-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Di Leo always struck me as being somewhat self-deprecatory too, and this seems somewhat evident in filmed interviews with him.

I get that feeling too Paul. In the few interviews I've seen him in he's always very gracious and never seems to 'big' himself up at all. Seemed to me like a good chap. And he made some killer movies to boot.

stephen grimes
02-01-2007, 07:04 PM
I know he used to do some writing and articles for Nocturno magazine in the earlier issues(1999-2000) and had his own column titled 'Morsi al vento'(Bites to the Wind*) in a few issues.

Nb.*this could also be Bitten by the Wind,i'll have to look it up

Jonny Redman
02-01-2007, 07:10 PM
I know he used to do some writing and articles for Nocturno magazine in the earlier issues(1999-2000) and had his own column titled 'Morsi al vento'(Bites to the Wind) in a few issues.

It'd be cool to see those articles translated into English. Though I doubt that will ever happen!

BTW do you speak/read Italian Stephen?

stephen grimes
02-01-2007, 07:21 PM
It'd be cool to see those articles translated into English. Though I doubt that will ever happen!

BTW do you speak/read Italian Stephen?
I can understand the basics(lived with a girlfriend who spent 10 years in Naples a while back)but i've been reading/collecting Nocturno since i first picked up an issue from one of the Midnight Media film fairs back in the day :D

Troy Howarth
02-01-2007, 09:38 PM
I like his movies a great deal, some obviously more than others. To Be Twenty is a fascinating little film, a real mind fuck if ever there was one, and I absolutely adore Manhunt. He made some less than stellar films, too, and there are plenty of indications that he was less an Artiste than a capable craftsman who pretty much got it in the can and moved on, but I respect what he did.

Lefteris T
02-02-2007, 12:05 AM
One of my favortie directors of all time, a filmmaker with a true vision and with films that have things to say. My favorite is his mean-spirited THE BOSS, followed very very closely by CALIBER 9 and MANHUNT of course.

I always had a soft spot for I PADRONI DELLA CITTA as I used to watch it at the tender age of 5 with my parents and the opening slow motion murder sequence used to scare the shit out of me. Don't know what people here think of this one but I always considered it a very special film. Plus I love the cinematography and the overall atmosphere of the film, think it captures the mafia essence perfectly.

I even loved his ultra low-budget MADNESS. I think it takes talent to make a film using only 4 actors and only a couple of locations and make it look interesting. But I believe not many like this one.

I even enjoyed his cheesy DEATH COMMANDO... Well its kind of bad but has its moments of fun. The only one I hated was VIOLENT BREED/RAZZA VIOLENTA, very very cheap and bad jungle actioner...

Fernado seemed like a great and very interesting guy in the video interviews I watched. Just the kind of guy you would love to hear sharing storeis about his films. His passing makes me sad.

stephen grimes
02-02-2007, 05:13 AM
I always had a soft spot for I PADRONI DELLA CITTA as I used to watch it at the tender age of 5 with my parents and the opening slow motion murder sequence used to scare the shit out of me. Don't know what people here think of this one but I always considered it a very special film. Plus I love the cinematography and the overall atmosphere of the film, think it captures the mafia essence perfectly.

Totally agree,love this movie especially the opening titles/music with Baer driving around in the dune buggy.I first saw it via the Greek Cinehollywood/Videoteca tape,is this the one you used to watch as a 5 year old Lefteris?

Lefteris T
02-02-2007, 05:35 AM
Totally agree,love this movie especially the opening titles/music with Baer driving around in the dune buggy.I first saw it via the Greek Cinehollywood/Videoteca tape,is this the one you used to watch as a 5 year old Lefteris?

Hehe yes, this is it! As you can tell that tape means a lot to me :)
Obviously I was too young to know things about Di Leo and Italian crime films back then, it was just a random crime film me and my parents used to watch :) When I started collecting VHS I came across that tape somewhere and could still remember the cover artwork after like 14 years so I bought it immediately!

Greek Cinehollywood tapes were great and most were letterboxed too. There is also another edition on Lucifer Video (which is rarer than the Cinehollywood one) but is fullscreen and I have no idea if its complete or not.

stephen grimes
02-02-2007, 05:57 AM
Greek Cinehollywood tapes were great and most were letterboxed too. There is also another edition on Lucifer Video (which is rarer than the Cinehollywood one) but is fullscreen and I have no idea if its complete or not.
The ntsc tapes i've seen of this(as MR SCARFACE) were all fullscreen and missing footage from the nightclub scenes whilst all the Cinehollywood versions(UK,Greece etc) were lbx and uncut.When i was into collecting original pre-records i had about 4 tapes of this,i bought the Greek one from Miltos :cool: when he was trading as Gate7 on Ebay years ago along with loads of other Italian crime from his extensive collection.

mark t
02-02-2007, 10:35 AM
I've only seen CALIBRO 9 and MANHUNT. I'd love to see more by this guy....he's amazing.

Jonathan Daniels
02-02-2007, 02:27 PM
I've enjoyed all the Di Leo films I've seen so far. His films are well paced and very effective. I'm so very thankful for all the Di Leo films released by Raro. Before them, I had only seen one of his films (HIRED TO KILL aka MANHUNT on a well worn VHS prerecord). I still think MANHUNT is his best but they have all been worthy of a viewing.

Has anyone seen Di Leo's 1977 film BLOOD AND DIAMONDS? It seems to be one of his lesser crime films but it's a nice picture with good performances from Caludio Cassinelli and Martin Balsam. It seems to be one that will grow on you. It has a nice ending as well. Barbara Bouchet is in this one too.

Troy Howarth
02-02-2007, 05:20 PM
The worst of his films that I've seen is Massacre with Joe Dallesandro. I found it very poorly made on the whole.

J Dewey Wallis
02-02-2007, 06:20 PM
I like his films. He's got some spotty ones, but he was a damn fine director. Kinda' underappreciated, maybe, but I think he has genre films every bit as good as, say, Corbucci or Jack Hill. From what I've read and seen, like so many Italian directors, he had a real big, lust for life, personality.

Lefteris T
02-02-2007, 06:33 PM
The worst of his films that I've seen is Massacre with Joe Dallesandro. I found it very poorly made on the whole.

You are a bit unfair but everybody has their opinion of course. Personally I didn't bother comparing that film to his acclaimed mafia films (which I love) because it is simply a totally different thing. I just took the film for what it is: a low-budget exploitation film. I believe you don't like the genre much in general do you? Like I said in a previous post I believe Fernando did his best using the very, very limited cast and locations he had available. Perhaps it was a more experimental project for him unlike the bigger films he made earlier in his career.

Well you can watch his VIOLENT BREED aka RAZZA VIOLENTA if you want to see a really TERRIBLE film by him. I am saying its terrible. That means you are going to hate it more than any other movie :D

Troy Howarth
02-02-2007, 06:35 PM
How is that unfair? I like his films on the whole, but Massacre didn't do a thing for me. The visuals lacked punch, the script was a mess, and on the whole it just kind of moved by at a snail's pace. On the whole, though, I do like his films a lot... I guess I have to see Violent Breed, though. :D

Lefteris T
02-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Well, yea I have to agree that the visuals are raw and not impressive in the movie. And yes, the pacing is kind of slow. I just got used to it during my second viewing.

Well the reasons I really liked the film is because I love Italian sleaze, Dallesandro and also Bacalov's score that was previously heard in MILANO CALIBRO 9.

Trust me, MASSACRE is high art compared to VIOLENT BREED :) Have you watched his KILLERS VS KILLERS aka DEATH COMMANDO? You would hate that as well. Its like a poor man's THE BOSS with many exploding plastic models (boats, factories etc), cheesy 80s pop songs and Silva unleashing a leopard to devour the mafiosos that come after him!

Troy Howarth
02-02-2007, 10:05 PM
I don't doubt that - I really need to see Violent Breed. I also like Dallesandro, but I have to admit that I found the constant looping of the wonderful main theme from Milano Calbre 9 very distracting.

Now, I have seen Killer Vs Killers - and I must admit, I really enjoyed it. :)

Lefteris T
02-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Parts of the MILANO CALIBRO 9 score were also used in Di Leo's mediocre and slow-moving KIDNAP SYNDICATE. It must have been a rushed and cheap production without time and money for a new decent score. As was probably the case with MASSACRE.

Troy Howarth
02-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Kidnap Syndicate is OK, I think. If nothing else, it has a couple of strong performances from Luc Merenda and James Mason, even if the latter is dubbed.

Lefteris T
02-03-2007, 12:14 AM
I enjoyed BLOOD & DIAMONDS a lot more than KIDNAP SYNDICATE (which I still thought was decent). This is a film that deserved a good widescreen release among the rest in Raro's excellent Di Leo collection. Let's see if somebody will release it.

Back to VIOLENT BREED- I'd like to share an interesting fact: Tons of footage from it was later edited into Leandro Lucchetti's ultra-cheap actioner LA VENDETTA aka GETTING EVEN starring again Harrison Muler. They were made by the same producer who was obviously deeply into cut & paste creations :)

oliver c
02-03-2007, 04:44 PM
What about Loaded Guns? Is that any good?

Lefteris T
02-03-2007, 05:53 PM
If you don't mind a blend of mafia with slapstick comedy film then you might enjoy it. The only reason I would recommend this is the surprising amount of Ursula Andress nudity and the good cast. Personally I thought it was kind of bad.

Troy Howarth
02-03-2007, 05:54 PM
I reviewed Loaded Guns, and many of the other DiLeo's for this site - the reviews are in the archive.

Gary B.
04-11-2007, 02:45 AM
how are the early films?:
Amarsi male (1969)
Brucia, ragazzo, brucia (1969)
There are Japanese DVDs available, but the high price always makes me shy away...

I'd also love to see these, and hope Raro or somebody else makes them available on DVD someday:
Poliziotto è marcio, Il (1974)
Diamanti sporchi di sangue (1977)

Antoñio Maldonado
04-11-2007, 01:22 PM
"Il Boss" is great for it's fuzz guitar theme and the out-there dubbing job they did. Is it released stateside or only through Raro?

Lefteris T
04-11-2007, 02:32 PM
IL BOSS is my favorite Di Leo and one of my all-time favorite movies. Whenever I ask myself which movie has the best opening scene THE BOSS always comes to mind first! It also has to be Henry Silva's finest moment. Too bad nobody has tracked him down for a video interview.... Let's hope that will happen if some US company decides to release the film.

Nadeem Ali
04-11-2007, 03:03 PM
I'd be scared of Mr Silva...

Il Boss is a great film ...All the films in that di Leo trilogy have great soundtracks but that Ill Boss theme may well be the best...

I just watched Naked Violence and very much enjoyed it...The ending was kinda far out...I must say that Susan Scott makes for a very glamorous social worker...

Ryan T.
12-25-2007, 01:34 AM
One of my favorite filmmakers!

The Boss: A+
Mister Scarface: A
To Be Twenty: A-
Milano Calibro 9: B+
Manhunt: B+
Naked Violence: B+
Kidnap Syndicate: B+
Vacation For a Massacre: B-
Loaded Guns: D+

I have copies of KILLER VS. KILLERS and BLOOD & DIAMONDS at home and I really wanna check out his giallo effort SLAUGHTER HOTEL with Kinski.

Gary B.
12-25-2007, 03:39 AM
I finally saw his 2 early films AMARSI MALE and BRUCIA, RAGAZZO, BRUCIA, and loved both. Nowhere near as violent as some of his more popular crime/mafia films, but they are both still really nihilistic with the black humor and downbeat vibe found in pretty much his entire filmography. That said, it's safe to say he's definitely one of my favorite all-time directors. The bulk of the films he made are of the most re-watched in my entire collection.

The only ones I haven't seen are THE VIOLENT BREED (even with the warnings from Lefteris, I still really need to see it!), and his first film, a war drama, RED ROSES FOR THE FUHRER which seems hard to find.

On the topic of Henry Silva, he definitely does need to be interviewed about his films while he's still around to do so (he's 79 now). One of the most memorable actors of all time. I remember reading on this board a while ago someone seeing him at an airport (?) and asking him about the "coffee" scene in ESCAPE FROM THE BRONX, but Silva claimed he had no recollection of it... I searched online to find any contact info for him, but there was nothing. Even a written/transcribed phone interview would be pretty damn satisfying.

Gary B.
12-25-2007, 03:50 AM
One of my favorite filmmakers!
I have copies of KILLER VS. KILLERS and BLOOD & DIAMONDS at home and I really wanna check out his giallo effort SLAUGHTER HOTEL with Kinski.

SLAUGHTER HOTEL is the only film of his I've seen that doesn't even feel like a Di Leo film. I'm pretty sure he was just a 'hired gun' for that project, and even dismisses it in the interview on the DVD (haven't watched it in a long time). But, it's still really entertaining sleaze that is worth a few viewings if only for Rosalba Neri as a nymphomaniac along with some really nice, stylish shots that make good use of the 2.35:1 ratio.

BLOOD AND DIAMONDS was a really good crime thriller, and sadly hasn't made it to DVD yet. The world needs more Claudio Cassinelli films in ENGLISH. His 70's crime films have been unjustly under-represented on DVD (despite the English-unfriendly Italian disc of KILLER COP, and the excellent German disc of SUSPECTED DEATH OF A MINOR). One of my favorite euro-cult actors from the 70's and 80's.

tom foster
12-25-2007, 06:05 AM
I've probably watched more Di Leo films than any other director this year, having only really discovered him recently. The first film I saw of his was SLAUGHTER HOTEL some time ago, and I had more or less written him off as a result of that experience. I still can't believe the same guy responsibe for MILANO CALIBO 9 and LA MALA ORDINA directed that piece of trash! Even Kinski and Rosalba Neri can't save it from being plain bad.

I've now worked my way through all the films available through Rarovideo, plus a couple of others, and it's fair to say Di Leo is now one of my favourite Italian directors. It's a great shame so few of his films have made it onto DVD in the US/UK, thus greatly limiting his exposure.

I recently watched the western JOHNNY YUMA, which was written by Di Leo early in his career, and it was great... it even featured Ms Neri in an early role. I'd really like to see BLOOD & DIAMONDS...

Lefteris T
12-25-2007, 02:09 PM
BLOOD AND DIAMONDS is an Italian crime gem :) Its a shame Raro didn't release it as part of their Di Leo collection. I love this film. A bit cheaper compared to his famous trilogy but still a great film. Essential.

stephen grimes
12-25-2007, 03:01 PM
BLOOD AND DIAMONDS is an Italian crime gem :)

You're not wrong mate,it also has this fantastic scene in it ;)
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BolReDDt0-4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BolReDDt0-4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Gary B.
12-25-2007, 11:11 PM
SHOCK ME! I hope to someday witness that scene on a crisp, remastered DVD. That song also plays in the nightclub in the film NAPOLI SI RIBELLA (A MAN CALLED MAGNUM) right after the epic 6+ minute train/foot chase scene between
Adolfo Lastretti and Luc Merenda.

Ryan T.
12-26-2007, 02:34 AM
Just finished BLOOD & DIAMONDS. I love the end! Such a unique and interesting spin. This is a lesser Di Leo (Which is still a B+) and yet it's way more inspired than anything Lenzi has done.

Lefteris T
12-26-2007, 09:36 AM
I will disagree with you Ryan. Lenzi had his unique moments of inspiration as well. I am sure that at least his gialli and his crime films prove that. I love BLOOD & DIAMONDS but I can't see how it could be more inspired than ALMOST HUMAN, ROMA A MANO ARMATA. Its great film but sorry, I don't see much originality in it.

Gary B.
12-26-2007, 12:59 PM
I'll take Di Leo over Lenzi. The violence in the Lenzi films don't have the same effect as in many of Di Leo's films, due to the cartoonish nature of the characters. Not sure I'd say ROMA A MANO ARMATA is a very inspired/original film either...kind of like watching a comic book unfold on film. I'm not saying I don't enjoy them (I really like most of the Lenzi crime films I've seen), but Di Leo is the better of the 2 at creating the violence and emotion that resonates with me after every viewing.

Ryan T.
12-26-2007, 05:12 PM
I will disagree with you Ryan. Lenzi had his unique moments of inspiration as well. I am sure that at least his gialli and his crime films prove that. I love BLOOD & DIAMONDS but I can't see how it could be more inspired than ALMOST HUMAN, ROMA A MANO ARMATA. Its great film but sorry, I don't see much originality in it.
I'll agree that ALMOST HUMAN is special and the only Lenzi film that's worth a damn, but ROME ARMED TO THE TEETH is mediocre at best. Lenzi's films lack depth, which isn't something I necessarily require for a movie to be good, but in Lenzi's case I feel his movies are too rushed and half-assed. It seems like he puts no heart into his movies, while in Di Leo's case even movies like BLOOD & DIAMONDS and KIDNAP SYNDICATE have some character to them.

Lefteris T
12-26-2007, 10:21 PM
I'd take any 70s/80s Lenzi film over KIDNAP SYNDICATE which has to be the most boring Di Leo film I have seen and has only a great ending to pay off. That's just my personal opinion of course. ROME ARMED TO THE TEETH mediocre?? Its a different film than Di Leo's mafia films, that's for sure but I think its TOP for what it is, right up there with VIOLENT ROME, VIOLENT NAPLES, SPECIAL COP IN ACTION, etc. So I think its not right to compare the COP films of Lenzi & Girolami to the MAFIA/NOIR films of Di Leo. Both fall in the general "Italian crime" category but that doesn't mean they have much in common.

Where are you Johny? :)

Ryan T.
12-27-2007, 03:21 AM
I'd take any 70s/80s Lenzi film over KIDNAP SYNDICATE which has to be the most boring Di Leo film I have seen and has only a great ending to pay off. That's just my personal opinion of course. ROME ARMED TO THE TEETH mediocre?? Its a different film than Di Leo's mafia films, that's for sure but I think its TOP for what it is, right up there with VIOLENT ROME, VIOLENT NAPLES, SPECIAL COP IN ACTION, etc. So I think its not right to compare the COP films of Lenzi & Girolami to the MAFIA/NOIR films of Di Leo. Both fall in the general "Italian crime" category but that doesn't mean they have much in common.

Where are you Johny? :)
The problem I have with Lenzi is that ALL of his crime movies blend into eachother for me. I honestly cannot distinguish the differences between THE CYNIC, THE RAT, AND THE FIST/ROME ARMED TO THE TEETH/FREE HAND FOR A TOUGH COP/BROTHERS 'TILL WE DIE. And I've seen all of these movies quite recently (within the past few months). In my mind they are all the same movie (Brothers has two Milians I think?) Also, last time I checked GANG WAR IN MILAN is a mafia movie (and a very poor one at that). It might not be fair to compare Lenzi's police films to Di Leo's mafia films, but the way I see it, at least Di Leo's films are memorable, even his lesser stuff like MASSACRE.

Shaun C
12-27-2007, 10:02 AM
I just recently bought the Italian releases of MANHUNT and NAKED VIOLENCE. Both films were enjoyable and there were a handfull of really well executed scenes.
The final rape scene by the kids in Naked Violence with the frenetic editing and coarse scratchy soundtrack was excellent. I also love his use of the hand held camera. It looks very modern and ahead of it's time.
MANHUNT also had one of the best chase sequences I have seen in Italian genre cinema. You could really feel the main characters anger and determination to catch the killer of his loved ones. The Italian dvds are suberb with English and Italian dialogue. Eng subs removable, with interviews with Di Leo, only in Italian.
After watching these two, I feel I want to see more. Any recomentations. TO BE TWENTY sounds different. Thanks.

Lefteris T
12-27-2007, 11:53 AM
I also thought GANG WAR IN MILAN was kind of poor and lacks the energy some of Lenzi's later stuff had. Perhaps a better-looking version could change my mind.

I like Di Leo's MASSACRE a lot: he left the mafia/noir genre and went for pure exploitation in this one. Its cheap compared to his big mafia films but I found it very enjoyable. Guess that half of the budget went to Dallesandro- he was a great lead in Italian crime/exploitation films.

Ryan T.
12-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Perhaps against my better judgement I too really enjoyed MASSACRE.

On another note, does anyone know the spec differences between the Trinity release of La Mala ordina titled HIRED TO KILL and the RARO disc titled MANHUNT? I know the Trinity disc has a significantly worse transfer, but does either disc have additional scenes? Thanks in advance.

Al Edwards
09-27-2008, 08:37 PM
How are his other films?

Troy Howarth
09-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Naked Violence: C
Slaughter Hotel: C+
Milan Calibre 9: A-
Manhunt: A+
The Boss: B
Loaded Guns: C
The Kidnap Syndicate: B-
Mr. Scarface: C+
To Be Twenty: A
Vacation for a Massacre: C-
Killer Vs. Killers: B-

Ryan T.
09-28-2008, 01:22 AM
Mister Scarface: A-
To Be Twenty: A-
The Boss: A-
Milano Calibro 9: B+
Naked Violence: B
Manhunt: B
Blood and Diamonds: B
Kidnap Syndicate: B-
Vacation For a Massacre: C (this woulda been so much better had Dallesandro's REAL voice been used)
Slaughter Hotel: D
Loaded Guns: D!!!

Nick the Sting i gotta see and I can't seem to find Shoot First, Die Later anywhere!!

Raf A.
09-28-2008, 04:38 AM
Milano calibro 9 - A+++
La mala ordina - A
Il boss - A-
Vacanze per un massacro - C
To be twenty - C+
Kydnap syndicate - C
Killer vs killers - D

Lefteris T
09-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Slaughter Hotel: B+
Milan Calibre 9: A
Manhunt: A
The Boss: A
Loaded Guns: E
The Kidnap Syndicate: B-
Mr. Scarface: A
Blood And Diamonds: A
To Be Twenty: B-
Vacation for a Massacre: B+
Killer Vs. Killers: C+
Violent Breed: E

Morten Solberg
10-01-2008, 09:02 AM
Manhunt: 6/6
Milano calibro 9: 5/6
Kidnap Syndicate: 5/6

I have Killer vs Killers, Il Boss, Being Twenty, seduction, Loaded Guns, Slaughter Hotel, Naked Violence, Loaded Guns, Mr. Scareface and Vacanze per un massacro in my to watch pile. It's a pity Raro didn't include any english options on the DVD of Nick the Sting.

Joel S.
10-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Amarsi Male and Brucia Ragazzo Brucia are both beautiful movies and shouldn't be left out. Brucia takes place on a beach and is especially easy to become absorbed into.

John Lyons
10-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Vacanze per un massacro (B)
Being Twenty (A+)
Mr. Scarface (A-)
Kidnap Syndicate (B)
Shoot First, Die Later (B+)
Wipeout! (B)
The Italian Connection (B)
Slaughter Hotel (B-)
Naked Violence (A)

Kenneth M
10-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Amarsi Male and Brucia Ragazzo Brucia are both beautiful movies and shouldn't be left out. Brucia takes place on a beach and is especially easy to become absorbed into.

We just watched Amarsi Male. It was okay, but nothing to recommend to anyone but Di Leo completists. Very soap-opry, it can be thought of as a period piece with the successful woman going for the communist boy. It is very much like "Kleinhoff Hotel," although that one was made about ten years later. There was not much surprise, the Japanese disc seemed cut of dialogue, which I would not be surprised to see if it were for pacing issues. A basic romantic story with a few comedic bits, it isn't unwatchable, just nothing worth recommending.

I do look foward to Brucia, though. That'll get watched sometime later this week...

Gary B.
11-05-2009, 04:44 PM
My favorite Italian director. So many great, entertaining films...to grade or rate these is hard to do, as many of them are favorites of mine at different times:

Amarsi male - B
Brucia ragazzi brucia - A
La Bestia uccide a sangue freddo - C
I Ragazzi del massacro - B
Milano Calibro 9 - A
La Mala ordina - A
Il Boss - A
La Seduzione - B
Sesso in testa - C+ (only co-directed, but his touches can be seen in certain scenes)
Il poliziotto marcio - A
Colpo in canna - C
La Citt sconvolta: caccia spietata ai rapitori - B+
Gli Amici di Nick Hezard - C (still haven't seen it in English, so my feelings could change)
I Padroni della citt - A
Diamanti sporchi di sangue - A
Avere vent'anni - B+
Vacanze per un massacro - D
Killer Contro Killers - A

still haven't seen:
Rose rosse per il fhrer (his first film, seems hard to find)
Razza violenta (I've read that it's horrible...but I've also learned to not trust most online comments/opinions regarding these films)

Al Edwards
04-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Kidnap Syndicate-Decent Di Leo film with a feel of the defeated. Gains some steam once it hits the revenge mode.

Andrew Ellis
04-07-2012, 03:24 PM
I can't say anything bad about any of his police films (except "Mr. Scarface", but I saw a horribly dubbed cuut of that and I'm still not sure whether it was SUPPOSED to be a comedy). I also like "To Be Twenty" and "The Seduction" a lot, even if neither are perfect films. (They're both kind of an uneasy mixture of sexploitation and serious drama). I agree that "Naked Violence" and "Amarsi Mal" were just OK, and I didn't like "Massacre" at all. (I don't think Joe Dallesandro's real voice would have helped--the guy is just not David Hess).

One film not often connected to DiLeo (he wrote the screenplay with Romolo Guerreri directing) is "Young, Violent, and Dangerous", which Raro is re-releasing, I understand. If you're a fan of Tomas Milian (who plays against type as a stoic cop) or Eleanora Giorgi (who does some genuine acting admidst her usual gratuitous nude scenes), I'd definitely check it out. And I was especially impressed with the actor the innocent-faced but psychpathic leader of the youth gang. . .

Jon Houghton
04-09-2012, 01:41 PM
I have only see 4 Di Leo films: The Boss, Rulers of the City, Caliber 9 and The Italian Connection. I have the box set on order and am looking forward to watching them again as they are the films that got me into the Italian crime/police thriller genre recently.

Al Edwards
04-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Shoot First, Die Later-very good italian crime film with a bleak overtone. Reminds me a lot of the book, Rogue Cop by William P McGivern except with a dark finish. I wonder if Di Leo was inspired by some elements of that book or had been aware of it.

Al Edwards
04-27-2012, 12:49 AM
Loaded Guns-Likeable light hearted Di Leo film made entertaining by the presences of Ursula Andress and Woody Strode. The fisticuffs near the end of the movie feels like something that would be at home in a Hill/Spencer outing. One of my favorite scenes or images is the one where the guy is on a toilet which a police car has on top for a brief moment.

Al Edwards
05-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Violent Breed-Decent later Di Leo film with an interesting and ambiguous ending. Has an ok lead as the main character besides the good supporting help of Strode and Silva. With a couple of good death scenes.

Sergius O' Shaugnessy
07-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Il Boss: A
Killer Vs Killers: C
To Be Twenty: A

I will check out Rulers of the City and Milano 9 very soon

Al Edwards
12-05-2012, 10:39 AM
The Seduction-My favorite of Di Leo's non crime films. Very much like a dark intrepetation of the kind of movie that Eric Rohmer was doing with his six moral tales series, but with a little more eroticism and a lot more consequences. It is the anti-Rohmer.

Andrew Ellis
12-06-2012, 08:57 PM
That was one of my faves too. Di Leo excelled more at crime films by reputation, but I think "The Seduction" and "To Be Twenty" are as good as any of his best crime films.