PDA

View Full Version : The Sticky Video Game Thread That Maintz Asked For

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Frank Estrada
11-25-2004, 08:13 PM
I think it would be a good idea to have a sticky "game" thread....

What, you think if you ask for something around here you're gonna get it?

Okay, maybe so.

Discuss video games here.

Jonny Redman
11-25-2004, 08:19 PM
The only console/game thing I own is a circa 1991 Game Boy. I am the Tetris master.

Chad Haden
11-25-2004, 08:38 PM
The only console/game thing I own is a circa 1991 Game Boy. I am the Tetris master.

Tetris is a quality game, I keep a Game Boy by the throne so I can play some Tetris when I'm doing my business.

Frank Estrada
11-25-2004, 09:06 PM
You play Tetris while you drop the kids off?

Nice.

Chad Haden
11-25-2004, 09:13 PM
You play Tetris while you drop the kids off?

Nice.

Yes it compliments the pooing experience quite well.

Frank Estrada
11-26-2004, 12:18 PM
I've been rockin' Zelda: The Wind Waker, and man is it an experience!

I'm embracing my inner elf. And I like it!

Ian Jane
11-26-2004, 12:25 PM
I'm still addicted to the new GTA. I can't stop playing it... probably because I'm not all that good at it and aren't getting that far but still! I like it!

Evan B
11-26-2004, 12:31 PM
I'm still addicted to the new GTA. I can't stop playing it... probably because I'm not all that good at it and aren't getting that far but still! I like it!

Same here.. Im stuck now though. I suck. Better than crack I tells ya

Peter S
11-26-2004, 12:33 PM

That game is seriously making me think of getting a PS2. I was on a steady diet of west coast gangster rap during the early 90's and the fact that a character looks like Eazy-E is making this very hard to resist.

Apart from my dirty wish for a PS2 and GTA, I'm still giving my N64 and Gamecube regular workouts

Chad Haden
11-26-2004, 12:38 PM

I'm stuck at the flight school and it's pissing me off.

Evan B
11-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Change your view so u cant see the plane at all. After I did that, I passed the tests without problem.

Frank Estrada
11-26-2004, 12:44 PM
That game is seriously making me think of getting a PS2. I was on a steady diet of west coast gangster rap during the early 90's and the fact that a character looks like Eazy-E is making this very hard to resist.

Pete, the soundtrack is fat.

And in Vice City, the old school hip hop station makes me want to get out the cardboard and go for mine!

Ian Jane
11-26-2004, 12:50 PM
I like the country channel in San Andreas. Nothing beats doing a drive by with Hank Williams playing on the radio.

Frank Estrada
11-26-2004, 02:25 PM
You're weird.

Kristian R
11-26-2004, 08:16 PM
I finally picked up Max Payne 2. $10 at Best Buy.

Frank Estrada
11-26-2004, 09:52 PM
I saw that there today. Is good, no?

Chad Haden
11-27-2004, 12:03 AM
Well since this thread has Sticky and Video Game in the title, I thought it would be a good excuse to toss up some pics of the two hottest Tech TV girls

Not only are Morgan and Cat hot, they're also best friends. A nerd can dream, can't he?

Kristian R
11-27-2004, 12:11 AM
I saw that there today. Is good, no?

I've only had a little time to play it, but so far its pretty cool. The bullet time effect is cool and you get to pop pain pills left and right. I also spent a fair amount of time just watching the whacked out tv progamming that you can come across.

Frank Estrada
11-27-2004, 10:50 PM
I grabbed BREAKDOWN today for 10 bucks at Tar-jhay. Looks cool, haven't rocked it yet.

Zane C.
11-28-2004, 01:48 PM
It's going to be busy for me in the next while, video game wise. I recently bought HALO 2, then because I don't feel like waiting for a year for the PC version (not to mention I wanted a second system), bought a PS2, GTA: SAN ANDREAS, SMACKDOWN VS. RAW, SMACKDOWN: HERE COMES THE PAIN, SOCOM 2, and finally, HALF LIFE 2 for the PC. I think I'll be ok for a while!

I would like to finally get my XBOX LIVE going sometime as well. Anyone have the PS2 online set? Is it good? I'm liking the portable size of the new PS2 as well; it's no bigger than a medium sized hardcover book! GTA: SAN ANDREAS is friggin' awesome, as is SMACKDOWN VS. RAW. I am sure glad I didn't wait to get GTA, though. It was worth buying the system alone! Now's a good time to get one anyways, as PS2's are pretty cheap right now.

Jesper Maintz
11-28-2004, 04:07 PM
What, you think if you ask for something around here you're gonna get it?

Okay, maybe so.

Discuss video games here.
Thanks, Frank!

I recently bought PRINCE OF PERSIA - The Sands Of Time - for the PS2, and I have played it a lot. Its a great, if a little too easy game, but it works out beautyful like a cross between ICO and the older TOMB RAIDER games.

Anyone tried this?

William R.
11-28-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks, Frank!

I recently bought PRINCE OF PERSIA - The Sands Of Time - for the PS2, and I have played it a lot. Its a great, if a little too easy game, but it works out beautyful like a cross between ICO and the older TOMB RAIDER games.

Anyone tried this?

I keep seeing the commercials for it and it looks pretty sweet. I'm going to make a huge purchase when I pick up the X-Box and it'll probably be on the list of crap to pick up or at least rent. Sometime this week I'll have a motherload of games to keep me from further acknowledging the real world.

Jesper Maintz
11-28-2004, 04:31 PM
I keep seeing the commercials for it and it looks pretty sweet. I'm going to make a huge purchase when I pick up the X-Box and it'll probably be on the list of crap to pick up or at least rent. Sometime this week I'll have a motherload of games to keep me from further acknowledging the real world.I wouldnt recommend to pick it up at full prize - theres not a nearly enough game time to justify that, so pick it up as a rental.

And yeah, these days, I use my Playstation to escape reality completely...

Is JAK 3 out in the states? :)

William R.
11-28-2004, 04:44 PM
Is JAK 3 out in the states? :)

Indeed. It's been out for a bit. I've been playing UP YOUR ARSENAL a lot and it's amazing. I haven't really cracked int JAK3 yet. I tried it out and it seems awesome, but I don't want my head to explode with all this amazing gameplay.
:eek:

Jesper Maintz
11-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Indeed. It's been out for a bit. I've been playing UP YOUR ARSENAL a lot and it's amazing. I haven't really cracked int JAK3 yet. I tried it out and it seems awesome, but I don't want my head to explode with all this amazing gameplay.
:eek:
Damn, I envy you! Over here, the PAL version are still "TBC" - at least when I checked a week ago. :(

Btw, another question: How is UP YOUR ARSENAL compared to the other two R&C-games? I still think, the first one was the best, because of various tiny details, but overall they were both terrific games.

William R.
11-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Damn, I envy you! Over here, the PAL version are still "TBC" - at least when I checked a week ago. :(

Btw, another question: How is UP YOUR ARSENAL compared to the other two R&C-games? I still think, the first one was the best, because of various tiny details, but overall they were both terrific games.

At the moment, it's the best yet. No doubt. However, that could come from the fact that I'm fully engulfed in it. When it's over I'll have to sit back and judge them on their own merits, but as of right now it kills.

This review was the first one I read for it, it's pretty on point:
http://gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/BCE8D6B2-C963-4328-80A7-13A07902D067.htm

Jesper Maintz
11-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Cant wait to get UYA - that review says it all. One thing, I was unhappy about in GOING COMMANDO was the absence of the Platinum Bolt count for each level, making it nearly impossible to beat the game completely without some sort of online assistance or a walkthrough. You know that "2 bolts out of 3" thing, that was in the first game. Otherwise, they were pretty perfect games... :)

Christoffer S
11-28-2004, 05:14 PM
I was bored today so I played through Metal Slug 3 for the PS2 with only 9 contuines!

William R.
11-28-2004, 05:18 PM
I was bored today so I played through Metal Slug 3 for the PS2 with only 9 contuines!

Metal Slug has got to be one of the best games ever.

Chad Haden
11-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Am I the only guy whose hot for Morgan Webb?

Christoffer S
11-28-2004, 05:30 PM
Metal Slug has got to be one of the best games ever.

it sure is!
insanely good games!

William R.
11-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Am I the only guy whose hot for Morgan Webb?

I have no idea who she be. What's Tech TV?

Chad Haden
11-28-2004, 05:48 PM
I have no idea who she be. What's Tech TV?

Tech TV is an all video game channel, Morgan's the host of X-Play.

Dig It!
http://www.fhmus.com/girls/covergirls/295/

Jesper Maintz
11-28-2004, 05:52 PM
Tech TV is an all video game channel, Morgan's the host of X-Play.

Dig It!
http://www.fhmus.com/girls/covergirls/295/
Nice gamer-chick!!!

Frank Estrada
11-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Thanks, Frank!

Anyone tried this?

No problem, I was wondering if you were ever going to participate the thread that you asked for.

I too have been rocking Prince of Persia, only on the Xbox. I love it.

Still rockin' Breakdown. It's pretty fun. It's fast paced, and it taked the first person perspective to the next level. First person vomiting is fun, and pretty weird.

Jesper Maintz
11-28-2004, 06:13 PM
No problem, I was wondering if you were ever going to participate the thread that you asked for.

I too have been rocking Prince of Persia, only on the Xbox. I love it.
Yeah, I have been a little off lately, so I just saw the thread today. Better late than never, I guess.... :)

Its nice to have a sticky thread for video games - especially because most of us are gaming insanely!

And yeah, Prince Of Persia and that type of game have a special place in my heart - I love running around big locations, solving puzzles and opening doors with handles and buttons. Its the best there is. There should be a sequel coming (if its not already???), and thats a must-play!

Frank Estrada
11-28-2004, 06:20 PM
The graphics are crazy.

William R.
11-28-2004, 06:25 PM
Frank, did you buy your x-box new or used?

I'm debating buying a new one for the two games that come with it, since I'm out of a football game and that tennis game looks cool.

Jesper Maintz
11-28-2004, 06:29 PM
The graphics are crazy.
If you like this, and if you have a PS2, I can only recommend ICO, which can probably be found as second-hand or Platinum very cheap. One of the most athmospheric games, I ever tried, combined with a story and style, that can only be reffered to as "small" or "low-key". Its not very long, so I wouldnt suggest full price, but I can recommend it wholeheartedly to everyone interested in this kind of game. And it have the best graphics I ever saw on PS2....

Frank Estrada
11-28-2004, 06:33 PM
The Dude,

I bought it used for hella cheap at a GameStop, I don't know if they have that out there. I just traded in a stack of Gamecube games and paid a few measly bucks. The thing looks brand new, and I haven't had any problems besides having Knights of the Old Republic freeze up, which I guess is common.

I'm telling you, if we all get on XBL and got into some Halo 2 together, some wigs are gettin' split. Probably mine.

William R.
11-28-2004, 06:35 PM
Yea, we have Gamestop. That's where I'm going to wind up going. Soon. Did they offer the free months of XBL for the used system?

Frank Estrada
11-28-2004, 06:35 PM
If you like this, and if you have a PS2, I can only recommend ICO, which can probably be found as second-hand or Platinum very cheap. One of the most athmospheric games, I ever tried, combined with a story and style, that can only be reffered to as "small" or "low-key". Its not very long, so I wouldnt suggest full price, but I can recommend it wholeheartedly to everyone interested in this kind of game. And it have the best graphics I ever saw on PS2....

I ain't gots no PS2! And if I did, I would never have any time for, well, anything!

Frank Estrada
11-28-2004, 06:40 PM
Yea, we have Gamestop. That's where I'm going to wind up going. Soon. Did they offer the free months of XBL for the used system?

No, that comes with Halo 2. But you see, I paid $30 for the headset and got 2 free months from Halo 2. But you can buy 3 months of XBL AND you get the headset for $40. But I was a cheap ass and saved 10 bucks but I just wanted to see what it was like and if I wanted to get 3 or 12 months or whatever. You can always add on later. But you need the headset! Half the fun is talking hella shit to each other. Too bad Swedish Joe refuses to buy an Xbox. If Ian Jane gets one, it's on.

Gregg K
11-28-2004, 07:16 PM
Well.. I officially stepped over the line and now am a bona fide game geek... I purchased an xbox to go along with my gamecube and souped up pc. I have been hooked on Top Spin (tennis game) ever since. I picked up GTA III and VC for 20 bucks at Best Buy.

Also been playing on pc, Half Life 2 (which is quite amazing) and Vampire (which is cool, but a bit of a let down. Full of bugs)

X-Play.. Tech Tv? It is on G4TV here. www.g4tv.com Morgan is hot.. but I tend to like the gal from Screensavers.

Chad Haden
11-28-2004, 07:17 PM
X-Play.. Tech Tv? It is on G4TV here. www.g4tv.com Morgan is hot.. but I tend to like the gal from Screensavers.

Yeah, it's G4 Tech TV. My bro-in-law is hot for the chick from Screensavers but Morgan's more my taste.

Christoffer S
11-29-2004, 03:48 AM
X-Box is so un-manly!
If you are a real man you stick to the PS2! :D

Frank Estrada
11-29-2004, 08:48 AM
Real men stick to inferior hardware?

Gotcha.

William R.
11-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Oooooh. Joe got served.

Hop off the Power Pad, put on the Power Glove and kick some ass Joe.

Superior hardware is for chumps.

Jeff Thomas
11-30-2004, 12:16 AM
Actually, Real men have ALL the consoles. If you are gonna game, Game Like A MAN!!!

Jesper Maintz
11-30-2004, 01:37 PM
Another question for William R...

I know, you already told me about Ratchet & Clank - Up your Arsenal, but right now, me and a friend are considering buying it full prize, and theres something about the packagaing of the game, that make me very nervous. Because its plastered with multi-player still (4-split screen), and nearly miss even mentioning, if this game is an adventure or not. Neither my friend or myself couldnt care less about multi-player, nor the online option, but we feel it would be a waste of money if those two features are TOO big a part of the package.

So: Is there a normal single-player Ratchet & Clank-adventure, and how would you rate it???

William R.
11-30-2004, 01:48 PM
The single player game is what I've been occupying my time with and I like it alot at this point (I've got a few hours in). There is a multiplayer option to the game if you choose to use it that breaks up into 3 types of gameplay to choose from. Capture the Flag, Deathmatch, and a real difficult game that's similar to Onslaught in UNREAL TOURNAMENT. It's pretty fun, but I only gave it a look see as, like I said, I've been devoted to the single player mode.

Jesper Maintz
11-30-2004, 07:21 PM
Thank you very much, William R. ! :) I think, we will purchase UYA tomorrow!

Btw, completed Prince Of Persia yesterday - failed to unlock the original 1992 Prince of Persia game, so I went through the first 1/3 of the game again, with the aid of gamefaqs.com - not the best of bonuses, but boy - is that an evil secret!!!

Jeff Thomas
11-30-2004, 11:33 PM
Hey, my brother bought his son an XBOX for X-Mas and wants to know some kick ass games to get. BESIDES Halo 1 and 2!!! Help, please!!!!

Jesper Maintz
12-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Fuck it, we bought JAK 3 instead. Now tonight is gonna RAWK!!!! :)

Ryan Smith
12-03-2004, 11:52 AM
Hey, my brother bought his son an XBOX for X-Mas and wants to know some kick ass games to get. BESIDES Halo 1 and 2!!! Help, please!!!!
ESPN NFL2k5
Mech Assault (sequel is coming out soon)
Crimson Skies
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (sequel out soon as well)
Ninja Gaiden
Chronicles or Riddick: Butcher Bay
Otogi (sequel may already be out too)
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Splinter Cell

Jason Allen
12-05-2004, 01:31 PM
I just got Jak 2 for my little brother-in-law for Christmas. He better not already have it.
I've just been playing the shit out of The Adventures of Batman & Robin for Genesis for the past couple of weeks. This game is seriously hard.

Jesper Maintz
12-05-2004, 04:47 PM
My first thoughts on JAK 3:

Naughty Dog has once again proven themselves to be the kings of platform action games. Competitors like Insomniac and UbiSoft are not even close to those insane people, and so far, JAK 3 has been equal to both the original and the brilliant first sequel. Maybe a little easier (and I say that carefully, because this game is pretty hard, but nowhere near as hard as JAK 2), the game is a delight, and I can only recommend it to every gamer out there!!! Im 39% in (and Naughty Dog usually let that counter go as far as 128%), so I cant be sure how this is going to end, but at this point, this is the best platformer since JAK 2.... Go get it!

Frank Estrada
12-06-2004, 09:09 AM
I just picked up THE SUFFERING for the Xbox. What a fun game! Really kinda creepy.

Paul Casey
12-07-2004, 05:28 PM
I just picked up THE SUFFERING for the Xbox. What a fun game! Really kinda creepy.

Had this for the PS2...creepy and cool, but pretty easy.

Zane C.
12-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Now that I have a PS2 and an XBox, it's damn tough to decide what to play! I've been enjoying HALO 2, but have also been enjoying GTA: SAN ANDREAS alot, too. Rock Star Games really brought this series up about 10 notches at once. Great game and fun as hell! Does it get better than cruising around on missions listening to Ice Cube, NWA, and Merle Haggard, all in the same game? I think not!

William R.
12-07-2004, 07:21 PM
It's time to debate. My friend just gave me a buck twenty for my Gamecube and seven of my GC games.

Now, I was all gung ho for going out and picking up and X-Box, but now I think I might just go and buy a few PS2 games and say fuck Microsoft. played SNAKE EATER a bit the other day and now I want that game. I can also pick up Prince of Persia. I could still get the Box but I can probably on pick up Halo 2 and I was never eally big on FPS games to begin with.

The decision is killing my brain slowly...

Jason Allen
12-08-2004, 06:18 AM
Be a man and buy all of the systems. Nothing attracts the ladies more than a guy with 20 different video game consoles and hundreds of games.

Jeff Thomas
12-09-2004, 12:06 AM
Actually, do not reveal that info until you are married. That info is like pussy repellant!!!!

Gregg K
12-16-2004, 09:53 AM
FYI-

Copied from http://www.anarchyonline.com/ :

Now you can experience Anarchy Online totally free of charge. You don't pay for the software. You don't pay any subscription. All we ask is that you register prior to January 15th. How about that for a Christmas present!

The offer includes the original Anarchy Online. Our Expansion Packs, Shadowlands, Alien Invasion and Notum Wars are not included in this offer.

I just created an account. Since I have never tried out a MMORPG, I figure this is a good opportunity to see what all the hub bub is about. It was nice to find that a credit card is not even needed to get set up.

William R.
12-17-2004, 05:21 AM
Just used the last of my Blockbuster credit to snatch up:

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - This looks like a load of fun and I find it odd how it slipped under my radar for so long. Warrior Within was just released, but since I never played this one I'm going to give it a go before picking that up.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Fuck yea! This game is like the butter on my breakfast toast. It's that good (so far). I had a blast with MGS2 and this is shaping up to be just as good. The stealth aspect is what is intriguing me the most about the game.

Midway Arcade Treasures 2 - Narc.

Frank Estrada
12-17-2004, 08:34 AM
You go, The Dude.

Prince of Persia rips, and N.A.R.C. is the best game since BurgerTime.

Lars Andersen
12-17-2004, 10:58 AM
I have 8 PC games pending; I can only choose one to play; which:

Serious Sam 2
Neverwinter Nights + Shadows Of Undentide expansion
Arcanum
Private Eye (old adventure game, anyone?)
Unlreal II
No One Lives Forever
Broken Sword II
Sims 2

William R.
12-17-2004, 11:11 AM

Serious Sam 2
Arcanum
Unlreal II
No One Lives Forever
Broken Sword II
Sims 2

I haven't played too many PC games since back in the Gabriel Knight days, but Neverwinter Nights is pretty good. I'd say go for that or Unreal.

Kristian R
12-17-2004, 11:22 AM
No One Lives Forever is a hoot. Funny game and good action. On one level you are pushed out of a plane without a parachute and you have to fight off henchmen while you freefall. Fun 60's spy action.

Jason Allen
12-19-2004, 09:38 PM
I've been compiling my video game collection on videogametracker.com for about a year now. I'm not really liking this particular database. do any of you know of a better game collection listing site, more along the lines of dvdaficionado.com?

Gregg K
12-20-2004, 11:22 AM

Serious Sam 2
Arcanum
Unlreal II
No One Lives Forever
Broken Sword II
Sims 2

Serious Sam 2nd Encounter is alot of fun. It consists of bad guys running at you from all angles all the time. To say it is a bit hectic would be an understatement, but it has a great sense of humor and is a fun play.

Unreal II blew chunks imo. The graphics are good, but where is the fun factor? It wasn't there for me.

No One Lives Forever (and its first sequel) is a must play. Hilarious and well thought out. Stay away from the spin off game, Contact J.A.C.K.

If you liked the original Sims, you will like Sims 2. I, personally, got tired of it after one sitting. However, there is no denying the game is put together well and if it is your bag, you will enjoy the heck out of it.

Frank Estrada
12-20-2004, 09:35 PM
Right now I'm rockin' Dead Or Alive 3 on the Xbox.

It's very... jiggly.

Chad Haden
12-20-2004, 09:50 PM
I played Blood Rayne 2 last week, it was very jiggly and bloody...I liked it

William R.
12-21-2004, 11:41 AM
I played Blood Rayne 2 last week, it was very jiggly and bloody...I liked it

That's the chick that they had naked in Playboy right? Fucking odd breed these videogame freaks. I remember there was this kid back in the day who had those naked skins for the PC version of Tomb Raider.

Anyway, I just beat SNAKE EATER. Definitely in the running for best game of the year. The ending kicked me in the balls like eight times. I'm an idiot for not seeing certain things coming a mile away, but it worked on me and that's what matters.

I'm about to get to work on SANDS OF TIME if that dreaded Disc Read Error doesn't but a halt to that.

Jesper Maintz
12-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Well, tonight is the night where i beat JAK 3.

And Im kindda dissapointed. Sad to admit it, but thats how I feel. Sure, I was raving about the game in an earlier post, but thats because Naughty Dog DO create the best action platformers and have done that since the birth of the PS1 - you can actually feel, when youre in those guys hands, and its a pleasure every time.

But this time around, they had to build upon the brilliant JAK 2 - RENEGADE, and Im sorry to admit, that JAK 3 is by far the weaker game. JAK 2 was a nightmarish and very difficult game to beat - which is a plus in my book - and if you wanted to beat the game 100%, there were 100s of frustrating gameplay hours in there - and I for one, did spend that much time.

Now that Ive beaten the regular gameplay in JAK 3, the conclusion must be, that its a lot easier than JAK 2, a lot shorter and a lot less exiting. Sure, there are levels from heaven, and a couple of really great buggy things in the desert, but now it just fell flat. Im not even interested in beating the game 100%, because there doesnt seem to be any reward, anything to accomplish, or any goal. They tried to tripple the size of the central world, but half of Haven City arent used for anything really, and that kindda takes out the point of it. They also trippled the size of secrets, but now they are everywhere, meaning that you have to go explore that gigantic central world inch by inch if you wanna see some sketches from the making of JAK 3.

Dont get me wrong, its still miles away from most other platformers, but compared to JAK 2, it loses.

William R.
12-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Dont get me wrong, its still miles away from most other platformers, but compared to JAK 2, it loses.

JAK II is the better game. JAK 3 definitely started out strong and it had it's fair share of amazing gameplay, but I was a bit let down by the end with the games difficulty and how quick it was to accomplish.

I feel your pain.

Jesper Maintz
12-27-2004, 08:01 AM
Yeah, JAK 3 felt more like the original JAK & DAXTER, especially because it was so easy to beat. But anyway, yesterday I felt like it, and started out trying to get the 600 precursor orbs, and I raided the entire desert village. Must admit, there was some pretty clever puzzles to solve along the way, and I had some fun - boy is Haven City going to take a long time to go through, though...

How are things in Persia?

William R.
12-27-2004, 03:16 PM
How are things in Persia?

It's a really fun game from what I've played, but I haven't played it much since I got it. After I beat MGS3, I played it for a little bit and then the holidays kept me a busy (as did pesky disc read errors from my bruised and batterd PS2). I'm hoping to dive into it headfirst later tonight.

Josh S
01-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Lately I've been playing Top Spin Tennis and Manhunt (which I finally bought before Christmas) on XBox and the Sonic Mega Collection on the Cube. I had contemplated buying a PS2 for GTA:SA, but according to Rockstar it's coming out in June on the XBox, so I figured I'd wait. Well, today I bought Raw 2 for XBox because I NEED a rasslin game. I haven't watched rasslin in years, but I love the games. Well, I've learned that PS2 is apparently the only system with a decent rasslin game.

Has anyone played Raw vs. Smackdown, and how does it compare to Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain?

Zane C.
01-01-2005, 08:26 PM
Lately I've been playing Top Spin Tennis and Manhunt (which I finally bought before Christmas) on XBox and the Sonic Mega Collection on the Cube. I had contemplated buying a PS2 for GTA:SA, but according to Rockstar it's coming out in June on the XBox, so I figured I'd wait. Well, today I bought Raw 2 for XBox because I NEED a rasslin game. I haven't watched rasslin in years, but I love the games. Well, I've learned that PS2 is apparently the only system with a decent rasslin game.

Has anyone played Raw vs. Smackdown, and how does it compare to Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain?

I have both RAW VS. SMACKDOWN and HERE COMES THE PAIN, as I am a big wrestling fan (since I was a kid). I like SMACKDOWN VS. RAW because of the voice work and commentary, as well as the variety of matches to be played, but I like HERE COMES THE PAIN because of what I feel, anyway, is a deeper season mode, with more decisions left up to you, not to mention a larger roster with some of the wrestlers not with the company anymore (Austin, Lesnar, Goldberg). Both are great games, though, and HERE COMES THE PAIN is now a discounted title, I believe. I got mine at Wal Mart for $28.63, and it's worth it. I also have RAW 2 for the XBOX, which I like as well, but I think the Smackdown series has it beat. Sadly, it doesn't sound like THQ is going to be making anymore wrestling games for the WWE, though. EA Games has gotten the nod from WWE to make their next game(s). It's anyone's guess how the next WWE games will turn out. They will have some angry fans if the game is crap, though. EA have traditionally had a hard time making good wrestling games, but we'll have to see how it goes.

BTW: for a closer look at both HERE COMES THE PAIN and RAW VS. SMACKDOWN, check out IGN.com; they have in-depth reviews of both.

Also, I was in the same position as you a while back - had an XBOX, but no PS2, and wanted GTA:SA. With the new, smaller PS2's at a cheaper price, I bought one, and love it! It's well worth the $$! I would recommend having both systems; your game choices become huge! Go for it! I also bought GTA:SA - it's worth getting a PS2 alone for! Not to mention some PS2's can be had in a bundle deal (with a game/memory card - that's the route I went).

Frank Estrada
01-01-2005, 08:28 PM
I just got THE THING, SIMPSON'S HIT AND RUN, AND MECHASSAULT for the Xbox.

And me and my girl have been playing Super Monkey Ball on the Cube!

Josh S
01-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Sadly, it doesn't sound like THQ is going to be making anymore wrestling games for the WWE, though. EA Games has gotten the nod from WWE to make their next game(s). It's anyone's guess how the next WWE games will turn out. They will have some angry fans if the game is crap, though. EA have traditionally had a hard time making good wrestling games, but we'll have to see how it goes.

Yeah, I heard about that. I'm a little disappointed, but at the same time the last two games I played from THQ (Raw 2 and Day of Reckoning) were both big disappointments for me. Day of Reckoning seemed a bit difficult and the fact the fact that you had to use a created rassler in season mode sucked. Raw 2 just has lousy controls (I hate using the d-pad to move) and I can't for the life of me get a guy worked up enough to do a finisher.

As for EA, I just hope they use a simple "finishing move" system (grapple then hit X) as opposed to each rassler having a unique button combo (up, down, x, b, a, down) for their finisher. Did EA sports make the old WCW game for PS1 (I think it was called Thunder) or was tha THQ? It had the terrible button combo system.

edit to add:

Frank, I love Hit and Run. Granted it's just a children's version of the GTA series, but if you're a Simpsons fan you'll appreciate it. I've been wondering about The Thing for awhile. And Super Monkey Ball is the greatest thing since the Sonic games.

Frank Estrada
01-02-2005, 12:38 PM
THE THING is great. It's a sequel to the flick, and the game is really well done. It can be found used just about anywhere for under 10 bucks (I got mine for $6.99 at Hollywood Video/Game Crazy.

Super Monkey Ball and The Simpsons are great games, and they are my sneaky little way of getting my girl to play video games with me. But then again, she DOES love BurgerTime!

Josh S
01-02-2005, 02:24 PM
they are my sneaky little way of getting my girl to play video games with me.

hahaha

My wife's favorite games are Windwaker, Occarina of Time, and GTA series. She's having a blast with Hit and Run as well. I may go pick up The Thing today. I've got some credit at Game Crazy so I may get that.

Have you played the demo for The Punisher? That game looks like it'll be great. You can bash people's heads into the ground and dip their heads in a pool of piranas (sp?) when they don't cooperate.

William R.
01-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Did EA sports make the old WCW game for PS1 (I think it was called Thunder) or was tha THQ? It had the terrible button combo system.

No they were THQ. My favorite being WCW VS. THE WORLD just so you could play as Mil Mascaras, Tiger Mask, Sasuke, and all the NJPW/ALL JAPAN wrestlers. You could pretty much re-enact the Super J-Cup on there. :)

With SMACKDOWN being my second favorite wrestling series (next to FPW), I'm a bit bummed about the move to EA. At first I remember reading that WWE wanted to part ways with JAKKS and the only way to do that was to sever all ties and existing contracts, which included THQ. THQ never mishandled the WWE product and I read that negotiations for a new contract for the video game series was underway. I guess that didn't work out. Anyway the EA game will probably have the same mechanics as DEF JAM VENDETTA, but I just hope they do things the easy way and import as much of the controls from THQ as possible. What I think might be the hardest hit aspect of the game is the famed Create-A-Wrestler.

Frank Estrada
01-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Have you played the demo for The Punisher? That game looks like it'll be great. You can bash people's heads into the ground and dip their heads in a pool of piranas (sp?) when they don't cooperate.

I have not gotten down with that game yet, but it sounds cool!

William R.
01-04-2005, 09:47 AM
I read about The Punisher in Game Informer and I can't wait to check it out. The brutal interrogations of enemies is what I'm looking forward to the most.

On the gaming front at the moment, I'm still knee deep in POP: Sands of Time and it's far too fun to be legal. Just like Mario Kart.

Zane C.
01-04-2005, 06:51 PM
I read about The Punisher in Game Informer and I can't wait to check it out. The brutal interrogations of enemies is what I'm looking forward to the most.

On the gaming front at the moment, I'm still knee deep in POP: Sands of Time and it's far too fun to be legal. Just like Mario Kart.

I have the Punisher demo on my computer right now, and it is a blast (no pun intended!). The interrogations in the game are the highlight, and will no doubt be extremely controversial when the game hits the market. You can use enemies as human shields, do "special interrogation" (read: hold their head near the piranha tank, wood chipper, etc. and convince them to talk, amongst other creative interrogations - there's a meter that shows how close you are to "breaking" the criminal for information, and if they "break", and give up the info. Then you have the choice of keeping them alive or doing what the game calls a "quick kill". In the special interrogations, the screen goes black and white if you kill the criminal). The game is a third person shooter, voiced by Tom Jane, and has appearances by other Marvel characters. They tried to go for a more gritty edge to the game, and capture some of the "Garth Ennis Punisher" feel that the series/novie had. I just hope the game doesn't fall victim to too much censorship, as what is out now is just the demo. I guess we'll see when it gets released, but from the demo alone, I am buying the game, just not sure for what platform yet. The Punisher has always been my favorite comic character!

Josh S
01-06-2005, 10:50 PM
I've two quick questions for XBox owners:

1. Does Madden 2005 suffer from the same lag issues as NCAA (in offline play)?

2. Is Red Dead Revolver worth getting? They've got it used at Game Crazy, but I've never played it.

Also, just to save anyone responding some time, I've played ESPN 2K5, so I don't need to be told that it is superior to Madden.

Zane C.
01-06-2005, 11:19 PM
I've two quick questions for XBox owners:

1. Does Madden 2005 suffer from the same lag issues as NCAA (in offline play)?

2. Is Red Dead Revolver worth getting? They've got it used at Game Crazy, but I've never played it.

Also, just to save anyone responding some time, I've played ESPN 2K5, so I don't need to be told that it is superior to Madden.

Don't know about Madden, but RED DEAD REVOLVER is fun, because it's a western game (and there's not many of those!), and at times has a Spaghetti Western feel to it. I liked it, and will probably rent it again to finish it, but I would suggest renting it first.

Chad Haden
01-06-2005, 11:28 PM
I hated Red Dead Revolver, mainly because Jeremy's kids kicked my ass at it.

Josh S
01-07-2005, 12:16 AM
Don't know about Madden, but RED DEAD REVOLVER is fun, because it's a western game (and there's not many of those!), and at times has a Spaghetti Western feel to it. I liked it, and will probably rent it again to finish it, but I would suggest renting it first.

hahaha

That's exactly why I wanted it. The only other western game I know of is Dead Man's Hand and I heard that is complete trash. I may rent it tomorrow if it's in. Interesting you should mention the Spaghetti Western feel, as my recent discovering of that genre is what got me interested in this game. Well, that and the fact that I really enjoy Rockstar's other games I've played (GTA, Manhunt).

Chad, does RDR have a multiplayer mode or did you just mean the kid can get further?

mark t
01-07-2005, 09:18 AM
Okay, i don't know shit about video games, cause i just got my first console since the nintendo (a PS2). I want a fighting game, like a martial arts dealy, but i'm not a fan of those arena games. I want something with a plot, but let's me go and kick some ass. I noticed that they have Jet Li's Rise to Honor in the cheapie bin now....is that any good, or can somebody point me in the direction of one that is?

Josh S
01-07-2005, 12:08 PM
hmmm

The best fighting game for he current consoles is by far Soul Calibur 2. It's pretty much just an arena type fighting game. I may be getting it confused with another game, but I'm pretty sure that Rise To Honor is awful.

www.gamespot.com has alot of reviews for games, and in my experience they've been pretty accurate, if not too hard on the games.

William R.
01-07-2005, 12:54 PM
The only fighting games I can think of are arena type games with flimsy written storylines to connect the fights and characters (TEKKEN, MORTAL KOMBAT). Hmm. I agree with gamespot, you could probaly check the action games and see if anything fits the bill. I never played the Jet Li game and the only game that incorporate martial arts that are coming to mind is something like TRUE CRIME: STREETS OF LA. That might be the type of game you're looking for... maybe.

Josh S
01-07-2005, 12:57 PM
I completely forgot about True Crime. I had that on GC and I thought it was really fun. It's basically a GTA type game, except you're a cop and the fighting is more in depth (although not the level of a MK or SC2).

Josh S
01-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Here's an article about some of the interrogations in the new Punisher game. I am officially giddy with anticipation.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/577/577780p1.html

Jason Allen
01-09-2005, 07:39 AM
I played the demo of Rise to Honor, and I thought it was pretty cool. You use the left stick to move around, and the right stick to punch/kick in any direction. You can grab objects like chairs and such and bash them over bad guys heads. The game is very cinematic in every aspect. One more pretty darned cool feature is that when you are in the US you speak english, but when in Hong Kong, you speak Cantonese.

Anyway. Fighting games generally have idiotic plots. Try King of Fighters, or the old tried and true Street Fighter. No dissapointments there.

Josh S
01-09-2005, 12:01 PM
I finally bought Max Payne last night for $9. I'm not very far, but the graphics are terrific and the graphic novel approach to telling the story is really cool. I don't know why, but I like the fact that I (somewhat) played out the backstory. Granted, I had no real control over what happened, but it was still a nice touch. Between this and Manhunt I may be able to wait on The Punisher until it shows up used.

Jesper Maintz
01-09-2005, 06:06 PM
SAN ANDREAS - first impression.

Gave this game a rental today, and have played it for 10 hours straight. At first glance, it looks like its more of the same, but as most of you know, they tripled all the features and the size of the game is absolutely impressing.

But somehow, Im not as charmed and into the game as I was when I first played GTA3 and VICE CITY. Its pretty weird - the radar is so full of signs and is so small that it becomes annoying after a while. The trademark dark humour is a rarity, except on the radio, and the missions (those I have tried by now) is pretty frustrating. This time round it actually is frustrating to have to start the mission up all over again countless times.

Dont know, its still masterful, but the game somehow falls flat when compared to the other games in the series.

Anybody know what Im talking about?

William R.
01-09-2005, 06:21 PM
The map weirded me out at first and took some getting used to, but once I got the hang of going to the large map and putting a marker down on where I wanted to go and ignoring everthing else, it was a breeze. There were a few missions where I wanted to break my PS2 because they were such a bitch, but on the whole the game is fairly easy and the storyline movies pretty quick. The humor however is very subjective and definitely not as dark or even prevailant as the other game. This one is more serious, that's not to say their isn't some great belly laughs to be provided by characters like The Truth, Catalina, Jizzy B, and some others. It's just more spread out through the game. There's also a lot of cool nostalgic bits that rule and once you learn to fly, the game takes on a whole other level of fun.

Jesper Maintz
01-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I found that marker thing as well, which helped quite a bit. And yes, some missions are hard as hell, but nothing really serious so far. But a nice touch would be some sort of "mission failed - try again?"- feature in future games in the series.

William R.
01-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Yea, that get's to be a considerable bitch later on in the game when you actually realize just how fucking big San Andreas is. I completed many a mission that dropped me off so far away from where I started that I thanked god I didn't fail the mission on the first try.

Josh S
01-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Dont know, its still masterful, but the game somehow falls flat when compared to the other games in the series.

Anybody know what Im talking about?

I only played it for about an hour at my in-laws', but I've heard alot of people saying the same thing as you.

Jason Allen
01-10-2005, 10:11 AM
I watched my brother in law play it for a while, and he was in tears after failing the same mission for the millionth time.

Frank Estrada
01-16-2005, 09:21 PM
I got the new Resident Evil 4, and it kicks taint.

Kristian R
01-16-2005, 09:23 PM
I got the new Resident Evil 4, and it kicks taint.

I'll pass then, but if you find out it licks taint get back to me and I will be sure to pick it up.

Frank Estrada
01-16-2005, 11:30 PM
Okay, then it LICKS taint.

Buy now.

Chad Haden
01-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Okay, then it LICKS taint.

Buy now.

Sold!!!

Zane C.
01-17-2005, 12:43 AM
I'm hooked on GTA: SAN ANDREAS. Damn, this is a good game!

Frank Estrada
01-17-2005, 12:56 AM
Resident Evil 4 is the best game ever.

Kristian R
01-17-2005, 02:51 AM
Resident Evil 4 is the best game ever.

Well if that's the case, and it also licks taint, then I'm sold as well.

Jason Allen
01-17-2005, 07:21 AM
I picked up Midway Arcade Treasures 2 on Friday. Fun Fun Fun!

Chad Haden
01-18-2005, 08:46 PM
The Punisher is one bad little motherfucker

Jesper Maintz
01-20-2005, 08:09 AM
At the time, I have returned to the classic Playstation 1 era, and have started to play through the original TOMB RAIDER (1996) for the second time.

Damn, I love those games! So far, nothing on the PS2 have come close to beat the TR-games in the genre.

Jari K
01-23-2005, 08:54 AM
I love "Tomb Raider"-games. We have a tradition with my friend, that we play every Tomb Raider game (and others too) through together. He´s living in another town, so it´s great when we hook up.

Not really a time to play anymore, so those times are really great.

I was kinda disappointed with "Resident Evil: Outbreak" (I hated the "time system" with every mission), so we quit playing it, and changed to the western-game "Red Dead Revolver". it was good and fun (I am talking PS2 now).

What I´m waiting for is new MGS. Uu baby. :)

Zane C.
01-23-2005, 06:51 PM
The Punisher is one bad little motherfucker

Yes, Chad. Yes it is! I rented this and MERCENARIES, and good Lord, both are carnage to unbelievable levels. THE PUNISHER is extremely violent, but a good game if you're a Punisher fan. Things like the interrogations/special interrogations, flashbacks, quick kills, cameos from other Marvel heroes and villains (Black Widow, Bushwhacker, Bullseye, Nick Fury, The Russian, the Gnucci family, Daredevil - though he shows up as his alter ego, Kingpin, and presumably Jigsaw, though I've not completed the game yet, but just about...), as well as the very well done "Punisher" feel to the whole game (yeah, they got it right) make this game awesome (not to mention a level where the Punisher is in the jungle in Punisher logo face paint). The graphics could have been better, but this is definitely a purchase.

MERCENARIES is great as well. As a merc, you take on contracts for different factions, and try to eliminate the "bad guys", whose leaders are represented on cards as "the deck of 52". You are supposed to take them out in any fashion possible. You can work for the Chinese, the AN (hmmm...the UN??? :D ), the Russians (who are mobsters in the game...), and the South Koreans. The North Koreans are "the bad guys" in the game, and you're trying to stop their leader. You pick from mercs with different skills for the game as well. You can destroy just about everything, get better weapons, call in airstrikes, steal vehicles a la GTA, etc. Lots of stuff to do! It's third person like THE PUNISHER, and pretty good. I think it will be a purchase for me as well. Rent it and check it out - it's well worth the rental!

Jesper Maintz
01-24-2005, 01:06 PM
I love "Tomb Raider"-games. We have a tradition with my friend, that we play every Tomb Raider game (and others too) through together. He´s living in another town, so it´s great when we hook up.

Good to know, Im not the only TR geek on the boards, Trier. I only need to play through the original and first Tomb Raider, then I have completed all in the series, including finding all secrets. On the PS1, I had to cheat to complete TR3, though... It must be the hardest game ever made.

Frank Estrada
01-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Participate.

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11205

Josh S
01-24-2005, 08:03 PM
I've been reading reviews of The Punisher and they've really cooled me on the game. Mercenaries, on the other hand, looks pretty rad. Ultimately, though, due to school I think I'll hold off on game purchases until the summer. All the dope games'll be cheaper then and I'm still playing Manhunt and Max Payne anyway.

Josh S
01-26-2005, 08:07 PM
That turned out to be a lie. My mom sent me $200 for my birthday, so I went ahead and picked up RE4.

Jari K
01-31-2005, 05:43 AM
Good to know, Im not the only TR geek on the boards, Trier. I only need to play through the original and first Tomb Raider, then I have completed all in the series, including finding all secrets. On the PS1, I had to cheat to complete TR3, though... It must be the hardest game ever made.

Yeah, TR-series is really great, my favourite series basically. Those games has that certain "thing", that appeals to me. I like the idea, that you don´t have monsters etc coming from every corner, and you have some time to study what´s going on. And you have to use your brains too. ;) But obviously TR has some enemies too, it would be kinda dull without them..

TR3 was hard indeed (limited saving system), I remember that, but it was also a great challenge. Me and my friend beat the game though without actual cheats, but if I recall, we read some info here and there. Still one of my memorable games I played through (along with first "MGS", "Ape Escape", "Doom" (PC), "Duke Nukem 3D", "Resident Evil 1", and "Worms" (for PC)).

I don´t play that much anymore, so I try to pick up only "good games". Next is "MGS 3".

Jason Allen
01-31-2005, 08:34 AM
Today I got Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow for GameBoy Advance. I only played it for about 20 minutes, but so far it's pretty cool.

Frank Estrada
02-15-2005, 07:18 PM
You are a wise man!

I am rocking Zelda: The Minish Cap, Mario Kart Super Circuit, and Donkey Kong Country, all on the GBA.

Jesper Maintz
02-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Well, I just invested in PITFALL - THE LOST EXPERIENCE for the PS2 - from good old Activision (all of you, who dug the C64 back in the day, should know this company by heart). Off course, the original PITFALL is a classic, and I still have fund memories, trying to jump onto those swings, only to fall down and have to start the level all over again.

For the PS2, Activision have created a smooth platformer with LOTS of side missions, and even more "secret areas", that you can only acces, if you got the right item. Right now, after three nights of intensive playing, Im at 23% completion, with so many "marks" on my map, that its becoming disturbingly underwhelming...

Still, its a great platformer, the price is extremely cheap and it should scare the hell out of someone like UbiSoft and their sorry attempt to make platform games... I dont even want to mention RAYMAN 3 - HOODLUM HAVOC (So far, the worst platformer Ive tried on the PS2)

Recommended - so far...

Frank Estrada
02-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Man, Rayman 3 is the BEST platformer I've played! But I have it on the Gamecube. I love that game! Smooth controls, interesting levels, good difficulty, wacky humor - kinda like hanging out with Ian Miller!

Jesper Maintz
02-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Man, Rayman 3 is the BEST platformer I've played! But I have it on the Gamecube. I love that game! Smooth controls, interesting levels, good difficulty, wacky humor - kinda like hanging out with Ian Miller!
Yeah, I know a lot of people think this is a good game - I liked RAYMAN 2, and thought it was genius - this one felt flat, and had that annoying "loading/saving"-thing 5 times each level, making it a lifelong achievement to get everything right in a level. Not in a difficult kindda way, but in a annoying kindda way. If a game is kind enough to save your game for you, when you are 1/5 into a level, telling you everything you did was wrong and that you have no option to return, you know something is wrong with the game testers...!

Kindda like Ian Miller? :D

EDIT: Maybe its different on other platforms???

Frank Estrada
02-15-2005, 09:43 PM
It is. There's no loading time on the Cube. Most games have very little if no loading time. I don't remember it telling me what I did wrong, either. Maybe that's because I can do no wrong.

Kinda like Ian Miller.

Kristian R
02-16-2005, 01:00 AM
Rayman 2 was awesome on the Dreamcast.

Jari K
02-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Well, I just invested in PITFALL - THE LOST EXPERIENCE for the PS2 - from good old Activision (all of you, who dug the C64 back in the day, should know this company by heart). Off course, the original PITFALL is a classic, and I still have fund memories, trying to jump onto those swings, only to fall down and have to start the level all over again....

Jesper, thanks for the tip. I´ll check this out. Tacka! ;)

Jesper Maintz
02-19-2005, 05:09 PM
Jesper, thanks for the tip. I´ll check this out. Tacka! ;)
Just remember, its for platform fans only, Trier - then you should be okay. I bought it incredibly cheap, so you should be able to do that as well...

Good luck!

Paul Casey
02-22-2005, 10:30 PM
I play RE4 about once a week. I love the game, don't get me wrong, but I think I'm developing Adult ADD. If I'm start playing while I'm drinking, I'll keep playing. However, if I'm drinking and not playing, forget it.
I'm the worst.

Jason Allen
02-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Rayman 2 was awesome on the Dreamcast.
This is the truth! I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw the graphics. I ran out and bought it as soon as it came out. I love me some Dreamcast.

Zane C.
02-27-2005, 03:30 PM
I just recently bought EA Sports' NHL 2005 - is anyone online with this? It'd be cool to have a game with someone from the forum here! Let me know if you're online! My username is Oilersfan540. I also have the headset, so I can chat with people as well.

Frank Estrada
02-27-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm getting all silly with the 2-D shooters/platformers. I got a cheap ass Gameboy Player knockoff so I can play my GBA games on my tv. So I'm rockin' Metal Slug Advance, Metroid Fusion, Astroboy, and Mario Kart all big and shit. Plus I picked up the Mega Man Collection for the Gamecube which has 10 Mega Man games on it.

If anyone has an old SuperNintendo for sale, let a brotha know.

Chad Haden
02-28-2005, 09:42 PM
I got EA Sports FIFA 2005 today and I've been stomping some ass with Glasgow Celtic, it's a killer game.

Chad Haden
03-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Today I played Celtic vs. Rangers and shut the computer out 4-0 then played Inter Milan against Real Madrid and shut Beckham's boys out 1-0. FIFA rules!

William R.
03-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Today I played Celtic vs. Rangers and shut the computer out 4-0 then played Inter Milan against Real Madrid and shut Beckham's boys out 1-0. FIFA rules!

It may rule, but it's not very realistic now is it? :)

You should check out FIFA Street. It's a pretty cool game. I find I've been playing Winning Eleven more than FIFA lately. They don't have the licensing for the clubs, but the technical gameplay is miles ahead of FIFA. It's more fun to play and if you're willing you can edit the teams. I have yet to pick up the new FIFA which is a first for me as I've bought all of them since 96 within a month of their release. They haven't really been tweaking much outside of rosters for the past few releases and it's gotten frustrating. The Manager mode is cool, but needs to be ironed out a bit, and I miss the creation center.

ROBERT BLACK
03-01-2005, 11:05 PM
I just finished The Bard's Tale on PS2. A comedic RPG loosely based on the works of author Terry Pratchet. I would put it in the not bad category. The humour although pretty funny in a few spots wears a little thin at times. The game play just a little too repetitive. Worth a week's rental. Especially if you have a modded PS2. ;)

However, Champions,the sequel to the rpg Champions of Norath kicks ass. And is worth full price.

Chad Haden
03-01-2005, 11:09 PM
It may rule, but it's not very realistic now is it? :)

You should check out FIFA Street. It's a pretty cool game. I find I've been playing Winning Eleven more than FIFA lately. They don't have the licensing for the clubs, but the technical gameplay is miles ahead of FIFA. It's more fun to play and if you're willing you can edit the teams. I have yet to pick up the new FIFA which is a first for me as I've bought all of them since 96 within a month of their release. They haven't really been tweaking much outside of rosters for the past few releases and it's gotten frustrating. The Manager mode is cool, but needs to be ironed out a bit, and I miss the creation center.

No it isn't very realistic and the computer isn't much of an oppenent. I saw FIFA Street yesterday and my brother-in-law's gonna pick it up when they get a used copy in at his job. Maybe I'll check Winning Eleven out too.

William R.
03-02-2005, 12:58 AM
No it isn't very realistic and the computer isn't much of an oppenent.

Perhaps you need to change the difficulty level. ;)

Frank Estrada
03-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Hey The Dude, what's the best Mario game ever? Is it Mario Kart? Super Mario Brothers 3? Super Mario 64? What the fuck, man?

William R.
03-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Hey The Dude, what's the best Mario game ever? Is it Mario Kart? Super Mario Brothers 3? Super Mario 64? What the fuck, man?

I'm going with the Kart for straight up brain melting fun and competition with your homies. It doesn't get much better than an intoxicated three in the a.m. rampage through Rainbow Road. SMB3 is a cracking good time as well. Sometimes you just need to go Tanooki Mario on some unsuspecting Koopa ass.

The GC version of Kart is crazy fun too, but if there is one thing that is to be learned and studied it's that SNES is the apex for awesomely fun gaming. For real.

Frank Estrada
03-03-2005, 09:31 PM
I have Mario Kart on the GBA, so it's just like a very tiny SNES.

I would, however, like a larger one.

Frank Estrada
03-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Okay, I got Super Mario Advance 4, which is a port of Super Mario Brothers 3.

It's Tanooki Mario time!

Richard C
03-07-2005, 05:51 AM
I have just received a copy of Mercenaries on the PS2 have experienced the following problems:

Graphics slow in keeping up with the action - i.e. walls suddenly appearing, bridges disappearing, character's all in black (no detail), radar map blocked in black for longer periods than normal
Sound - Pieces of dialogue missing, delay in sound effects
Freezing - There are periods when the game freezes for long periods when information is requested (pressing Select etc)

Anyone else experience similiar problems?

Jason Allen
03-07-2005, 06:46 AM
The best Super Mario Bros. game is Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. In fact, It's one the very best videogames ever made.

Frank Estrada
03-07-2005, 08:15 AM
I am down with Yoshi's Island.

Kristian R
03-07-2005, 01:12 PM
OK, this is officially the coolest looking controller ever. Its the Nuby Tech Resident Evil 4 Chainsaw Controller. Too bad its a bit hard to use. I looks so cool though I still might have to pick one up...

Paul A J Lewis
09-22-2005, 07:34 PM
I'm just blasting through AREA 51, which I picked up for peanuts on Wednesday. I didn't think I'd like it too much, but it's a blast. Great fun!

William R.
09-23-2005, 01:22 AM
I'm just blasting through AREA 51, which I picked up for peanuts on Wednesday. I didn't think I'd like it too much, but it's a blast. Great fun!

Isn't that the Aerosmith arcade game? Or am I totally off here?

mark t
09-23-2005, 09:48 AM

Yeah, that'd be REVOLUTION X (Music IS the Weapon!). Great game!

Edited to add : maybe we're talking about different Aerosmith video games?

And Frank, if you want slowass loading on the Cube, check out Rainbow Six 3. Goddam....all said and done, to finish that game, you sit through about 2 hours worth of combined loading time. Cool game though.

Paul A J Lewis
09-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Yes it is, William. There was a pretty rough console conversion available on the PSX and Saturn, but I'm working through the new XBox conversion, which is actually pretty good (and very different from the arcade game). It feels very much like HALF LIFE to play, and that isn't a bad thing ;) It's not the best FPS ever (and I'm not sure which game *is* the best FPS ever), but it's a joy to play.

(Is the XBox conversion of HALF LIFE 2 still in development, btw?)

I pre-ordered the console release of BATTLEFIELD 2 the other day, as well.

Mark Roberts
09-23-2005, 05:12 PM
Any other Burnout Junkies out there?

Josh S
11-07-2005, 04:45 PM
I rented Tony Hawk's American Wasteland last night. This is easily my favorite in the Hawk series since the first Pro Skater. It took me about five hours to find the fuckin AmJam, though. I also hate that you can't create your own skater in story mode. The bert slide is the coolest addition to the series in ages.

Kristian R
11-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Any other Burnout Junkies out there?

I hadn't checked out this thread in months apparently, so a belated "yes". I love 2 and 3. I haven't checked out the new one though because I haven't had time to do much with 3 other than the crash mode.

Josh S
11-09-2005, 12:52 AM
I've been meaning to check out Burnout 3 for ages. I may pick it up when I trade Madden 2006 in next week.

As for Tony Hawk American Wasteland, I'm not as high on it as I was yesterday. I beat it tonight. Other than not being able to find the AmJam (thanks to my failure to see the huge green arrow pointing to it) it was a breeze. It took me at most 10 hours to beat the game (and that's including all my bullshitting around). Granted I didn't beat it with 100%, but what's the point? The only thing I'd get is Perfect Balance and similar cheats that are useless once you've done everything.

Kristian R
11-17-2005, 12:22 PM
So I am finally checking out Resident Evil 4. The control is majorly improved from previous enstallments, but I am already getting kind of bored. I am in the swampy area after the outside of the church. When do things get more interesting?

Mark Roberts
11-17-2005, 02:32 PM
Any one getting the Xbox 360. I think I'll be campin out to get mine. Fukin must get one... Must!

Frank Estrada
11-17-2005, 06:01 PM
So I am finally checking out Resident Evil 4. The control is majorly improved from previous enstallments, but I am already getting kind of bored. I am in the swampy area after the outside of the church. When do things get more interesting?

Soon!

John P
11-17-2005, 11:06 PM
I'm LOVING Guitar Hero right now for the PS2!!!
John

Kristian R
11-21-2005, 02:21 PM
Soon!

You were right. Now this more of what I was looking for...

Josh S
11-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Any one getting the Xbox 360. I think I'll be campin out to get mine. Fukin must get one... Must!

I wasn't going to get one, but my wife is getting me one for my birthday.

Richard C
11-23-2005, 03:40 AM
Does anyone know when that Film Studio game is coming out?

Jari K
03-04-2006, 02:55 AM
Now I´m excited. "Tomb Raider: Legend" for PS2 is not that far away.. By far my all time favourite game-saga, I love it.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/tombraidervii/news.html?sid=6143392

My old friend is coming to visit in next weekend, and we´re going to play "Medal Of Honor: Big Red One". It has been some time when I really played last time, so this will be fun. :) No beer, only gaming. It´s time to be a nerd. ;)

ps. Play list this as "Due for release on 07/04/2006", so I guess it must be coming in April to Europe also..

Jesper Maintz
03-04-2006, 05:06 AM
Now I´m excited. "Tomb Raider: Legend" for PS2 is not that far away.. By far my all time favourite game-saga, I love it.We have said it many times, but the TOMB RAIDER series is the best game series ever - and I too are waiting for this title - hopefully, it will be better than AOD...

Right now, Im trying to beat RATCHET & CLANK 2 completely (including all skill points, all weapons upgraded ect ect) - meaning two complete games (regular and challenge mode), and LOTS of time....

Richard C
03-04-2006, 07:45 AM
Anyone here own BLACK? I've just read a short review and it sounds like my type of game:

"This destructive FPS takes place in an urban environment that can be used to destroy enemies in style. Forget subtlety: aim and precision go out the window in this straight-forward shooter, in favour of emptying clip after clip of ammo. After that, you can use the mines, tanks and explosives that are scattered about to finish off any survivors. The interaction with the in-game environment is one of the things that make BLACK great: every shot fired will have some effect on your surroundings, and leave a trail of dust or smoke in its wake. It may not be big or clever, but it is explosive fun".

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=sr&page=title&r=PS2&title=647246

Bård Haugland
03-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Anyone tried The Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of Earth?

Paul A J Lewis
03-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Anyone tried The Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of Earth?
I'm playing it at the moment, Bård, and it's pretty good. It's slow to start, but if you're a Lovecraft fan you'll adore it: it's clearly developed by fans of the author, and the script references lots of Lovecraft stories. It's also genuinely creepy in places.

Cheers,
Paul

Jesper Maintz
04-03-2006, 07:16 AM
These days, Im playing GOD OF WAR and this game is fucking boss! Best atmosphere since ICO and most violent gameplay (and animations) ever. Also, I like the whole greek mythology thing, and Im actually interested in the story for a change.

I know some of you have played this, so - what are your thoughts?

William R.
04-03-2006, 01:10 PM
These days, Im playing GOD OF WAR and this game is fucking boss! Best atmosphere since ICO and most violent gameplay (and animations) ever. Also, I like the whole greek mythology thing, and Im actually interested in the story for a change.

I know some of you have played this, so - what are your thoughts?

Best game of last year, imo. The story and gameplay are amazing and Kratos is the coolest hero to come along since god knows when. I was reading the Game Informer that featured an inside look at God of War 2 recently and I got a chubby. :D

Jesper Maintz
04-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Best game of last year, imo. The story and gameplay are amazing and Kratos is the coolest hero to come along since god knows when. I was reading the Game Informer that featured an inside look at God of War 2 recently and I got a chubby. :DAgreed - I havent sympathised with a "game hero" like this for the longest time. I dont know, if its the best game of 2005 (wasnt the equally brilliant Resident Evil 4 from 2005 as well?), but its definately up there - and both me and my flatmate felt it was the closest thing to the Tomb Raider gameplay (and puzzles) we have tried since ICO. I know, it cant be compared to the TR franchise (but, if youre a Tomb Raider fan by heart, all you really want is puzzles and atmosphere like it), but the fascination about brilliant level design was just the same.

Only complaint is, that its too short - we beat it in around 20 hours (the savefiles said 12 hours), but still - Ill buy the sequel the moment it arrives. :)

One of the coolest games ever!

Josh S
04-03-2006, 07:31 PM
I just finished GTA:SA this weekend. I've got some gripes (map was unnecessarily large, anti-climatic ending, etc), but overall it was fun. Definately worth the $20 price tag and a HUGE improvement over Vice City.

I rented The Godfather and that's going well. Even as someone who isn't a fan of the film the game is still cool. The driving is a little wonky right now, but that could be in keeping with the "feel'" of the era. The fact that it follows the movie and has voice talent from the film would just add to it for fans. I might buy it if I'm not at least close to finishing it by Friday.

Jesper Maintz
04-04-2006, 06:34 AM
I just finished GTA:SA this weekend. I've got some gripes (map was unnecessarily large, anti-climatic ending, etc), but overall it was fun. Definately worth the $20 price tag and a HUGE improvement over Vice City.I just started this game up (again), and this time I will beat it - but it already manages to be really huge and really hard. I hate the fact, that you have to drive over to the missions every time you fail (AND collect the weapons you need) - it takes time, and its annoying - but hey, its a nessecary evil in these kind of games, I suppose....

Josh S
04-04-2006, 03:36 PM
In alot of the missions, on the XBox at least, when you fail a mission that has alot of driving (picking up OG Loc from jail) if you fail it then try again without turning off the system or reloading the game once the mission starts you can press right on the dpad and skip all the driving.

The game being huge was a big complaint for me. I'd much rather have a map maybe a half or even a third as big but with more buildings that you can enter. I also wouldn't mind seeing an end to flying missions.

William R.
04-04-2006, 03:42 PM
In alot of the missions, on the XBox at least, when you fail a mission that has alot of driving (picking up OG Loc from jail) if you fail it then try again without turning off the system or reloading the game once the mission starts you can press right on the dpad and skip all the driving.

The game being huge was a big complaint for me. I'd much rather have a map maybe a half or even a third as big but with more buildings that you can enter. I also wouldn't mind seeing an end to flying missions.

You can skip the driving on the PS2 once you get to the objective once, or something like that. My only compaint was the game was too damn easy especially for how expansive it is. I beat it fairly quickly within a week or so after buying it. The only mission giving me a problem was one of David Cross's RC Copter ones (Pain in the ASS). Getting to a destination a great distance away never bothered me. I liked taking the dirt bikes through the mountains (taking the road is loooong) and when that got too be boring I just flew everywhere.

Josh S
04-04-2006, 04:00 PM
I should point out that I didn't get 100% completion. The only mission I did for Zero was the first one (which was required). You remind me of my nephew. There's no game he can't beat and he thought GTA:SA was pretty easy minus a handful of missions. I thought it was fairly difficult, then again it's on the second game I've ever beaten (holla at Jak & Daxter!).

Jesper Maintz
04-05-2006, 08:41 AM
Why is this thread not sticky anymore?

Paul Casey
04-05-2006, 05:45 PM
You can skip the driving on the PS2 once you get to the objective once, or something like that. My only compaint was the game was too damn easy especially for how expansive it is. I beat it fairly quickly within a week or so after buying it. The only mission giving me a problem was one of David Cross's RC Copter ones (Pain in the ASS). Getting to a destination a great distance away never bothered me. I liked taking the dirt bikes through the mountains (taking the road is loooong) and when that got too be boring I just flew everywhere.

I liked jetpacking around to missions. I felt important.

Jesper Maintz
04-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Now I´m excited. "Tomb Raider: Legend" for PS2 is not that far away.. By far my all time favourite game-saga, I love it.So, Jari - have you picked it up yet? And in case you have, what are your thoughts?

These days, in between missions in San Andreas, Im playing Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly - a laughable game, thats so easy that I cant believe my eyes.

Josh S
05-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Why is this thread not sticky anymore?

There was an "incident". Let's just say this thread isn't sticky and now I walk with a limp.

I rented Major League Baseball 2K6 today despite not really giving a shit about baseball (real or video game). The first game I played I have a half dozen wild pitches resulting in three runs. I got the win, but it was still embarassing. Now that I watched the little pitching tutorial, though, I'm shutting everybody out.

Frank Estrada
05-02-2006, 10:07 PM
I bought ULTIMATE SPIDERMAN for the Gamecube a week or two ago, but I still haven't had time to play it yet. Maybe tonight?

Anyone have this?

Josh S
05-03-2006, 01:18 PM
I've been thinking of picking it up since it dropped to $20, but I never think of it when I'm at the store. I've heard good things, though. The only complaint I remember is that the dialogue is atrocious.

J Dewey Wallis
05-03-2006, 05:39 PM
After mastering Fight Night Round 3, doing a few careers in different weight classes and tooling the comp in Hard mode, I finally started GOD OF WAR, which I bought back when it had the prioce drop but hadnt played yet.

Frankly I dont see what the hype was about. GOD OF WAR is a great game, sure, but I thought it was supposed to be really groundbreaking. Its just Devil May Cry with a few added finishing move combo touches. Its fun, but I hate it when I break a sweat beating up on some tough enemy that takes five to ten minutes to kill, then they throw two of them at you. Asshole game designers.

Ian Jane
05-03-2006, 05:44 PM
I just got the Godfather as an early birthday gift. Haven't started it yet. I bought my wife Tomb Raider: Legend a week or two ago and she's really digging it. I've been watching her play it a fair bit and the level design looks really impressive so far. Nice sound work too.

Me? I've been indulging in The Punisher. Good times. Cool kills.

Matt A
05-03-2006, 05:46 PM
I play one video game and one video game only - TETRIS for Gameboy.

William R.
05-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Shut up you face.

Anyway, so how is that ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN game? Is it better than the movie game that game out a few years back. That one suuuuucked. They'll never top MAXIMUM CARNAGE.

Today, I'm nursing my fuckered foot and pulled out the old Pride game.
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/787/s276iprodd70141vl.jpg

Jesper Maintz
05-03-2006, 06:12 PM
I just got the Godfather as an early birthday gift. Haven't started it yet. I bought my wife Tomb Raider: Legend a week or two ago and she's really digging it. I've been watching her play it a fair bit and the level design looks really impressive so far. Nice sound work too. That sounds like the perfect relationship! :)

Frank Estrada
05-03-2006, 06:20 PM
I've been thinking of picking it up since it dropped to $20, but I never think of it when I'm at the store. I've heard good things, though. The only complaint I remember is that the dialogue is atrocious.

Ironically, it was written by Brian Michael Bendis - who is well-known for his awesome writing, particularly his realistic dialogue. You complaint was the LAST one I expected to hear (I heard the game's only fault is it's too short), but I ain't sayin' you're wrong since I still haven't played it yet.

William R.
05-03-2006, 06:25 PM
PLAY THAT SHIT!

Frank Estrada
05-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Ha! I have band practice tonight, but I'll probably rock it tomorrow.

Jeremy C.
05-05-2006, 06:30 PM
http://www.break.com/index/angrygamer27.html
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/content/angrygamer27.jpg

This dude is hardcore.

William R.
05-05-2006, 06:42 PM
No. He's not. Not as hardcore as this dude.

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/16160/Kid_That_Has_No_Patience.html

What's with you and Break.com today? :D

Jason Allen
05-06-2006, 05:00 AM
I bought ULTIMATE SPIDERMAN for the Gamecube a week or two ago, but I still haven't had time to play it yet. Maybe tonight?

Anyone have this? Got it today used for PS2 for ten bux. The web swinging is kinda poo, and I had more fun playing the old PSone Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro than I am with Ultimate. I'll keep at it and post more impressions as I get further in the game.

Jason Allen
05-14-2006, 03:34 AM
Okay, I'm at about the middle of the game now, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit more. I have pretty much got the wonky web swinging under control, and I've found shitloads of secret tokens. Fought a few bosses, played as Venom. All and all, this is a pretty cool game. The attempts at humor are pretty awful, though.

Frank Estrada
05-21-2006, 09:25 PM
I finally got a chance to play Ultimate Spiderman today. I totally dig it. The web-slinging took a few minutes to get used to - but once I did, I was swingin all over the place pretty easily. The graphics are really fucking cool, and the cut-scenes are the best I've seen. Seriously, they are a step up from any other game I've played. I can see why some are saying the script/humor sucks, but I don't think it's the writing, I think it's the voice acting. Overall, I am having fun with this game. I would recommend it to any comic book fans who like video games (are there any who don't?). It's definitely worth it's very affordable price.

Now I want a PSP version!

Jason Allen
05-22-2006, 02:33 AM
You're right. It's the acting that hurts the humor. This is pure comic book dialogue, for a comic book game. ONe huge flaw in the game design though, is too many keep up with the running bad guy missions. Otherwise, fun game. I beat it pretty quickly, but kept on going just because web swinging through NY is too cool.

Jesper Maintz
06-06-2006, 05:10 PM
These days Im playing Naughty Dog´s racer JAK X and Im having a lot of fun with it. Its fast like hell, and sometimes I feel really old when I crash into some wall I should have seen a million miles away, but other than that I think its supercool. :) Im about halfway through, but its the kind of game that you "just have to play a little longer" - so I have just played it for 7 hours straight.

And I just cant help being a fan of the Naughty Dog games - I dont think they have ever made a game, that I havent thought of as a masterpiece, and in a perfect world, every game would be as technically perfect as their latest outings. Even the metal music is cool!

Anybody played JAK X?

Josh S
06-06-2006, 05:15 PM
I haven't played JAK X, but I do enjoy the non-racer games in that franchise. The first JAK & DAXTER is among my favorite games of all time. It's on the easy side, but I can pop it in and beat it in a couple sittings and then I feel a sense of accomplishment.

I really haven't been playing games at all lately. All my time has been job hunting, comics and movies.

William R.
06-06-2006, 05:19 PM
I've never been too keen on racing games, so even with my affection for Jak & Dexter, I skipped it. They're really just not my thing.

I haven't picked up anything new recently, I'm debating on the Spider-Man game and the new Hitman. I do want to snag the new Mortal Kombat when it comes out and GOD OF WAR II, but that's all of the top of my head. I was reading Game Informer yesterday and I know officially have a massive hard on for ASSASSIN'S CREED. That game looks and sounds sick! From the makers of the PRINCE OF PERSIA series.

http://assassinscreed.uk.ubi.com/

Josh S
06-06-2006, 05:29 PM
ASSASSIN'S CREED looks pretty nice, but I'm certain it'll be far too hard for me.

Jesper Maintz
06-06-2006, 05:49 PM
I haven't played JAK X, but I do enjoy the non-racer games in that franchise. The first JAK & DAXTER is among my favorite games of all time. It's on the easy side, but I can pop it in and beat it in a couple sittings and then I feel a sense of accomplishment.The Jak & Daxter franchise is among the greatest games I have played as well (especially the first sequel), and I hope they will make some more and not stop with the DAXTER game for the PSP - I havent tried that btw, but have read dosens of positive reviews, but for us without a PSP its a little hard to come by...

I've never been too keen on racing games, so even with my affection for Jak & Dexter, I skipped it. They're really just not my thing.

I haven't picked up anything new recently, I'm debating on the Spider-Man game and the new Hitman. I do want to snag the new Mortal Kombat when it comes out and GOD OF WAR II, but that's all of the top of my head. I was reading Game Informer yesterday and I know officially have a massive hard on for ASSASSIN'S CREED. That game looks and sounds sick! From the makers of the PRINCE OF PERSIA series.JAK X reminds me in a lot of ways of the racing stuff in JAK 3, with weapons and turbo´s added - and theres also some of the "same" type of levels, where you have to drive around a giant landscape like a maniac, collecting artifacts in time - stuff like that. Im not into racers as well, and avoided the game as well, but found it used really cheap and just couldnt resist - Naughty Dog have never made a unfunny game, and this one is no exception...

ASSASINS CREED indeed look interesting, and GOD OF WAR 2 are an essential purchase. Next one for me will be SHADOW OF THE COLLOSUS - hopefully it will be better than the good, but rather dissapointing TOMB RAIDER: LEGEND, that was easy like hell to beat and very, very short.

Jesper Maintz
07-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Damn, I just found out, why I liked the music in JAK X so much - its done by Billy Howerdel of A Perfect Circle fame... Pretty cool touch in a game with furry characters! :D

LINK TO INTERVIEW WITH BILLY HOWERDEL (http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/jak-x/656658p1.html)

William R.
11-08-2006, 08:38 PM
I was going to respond in that 360 recommendation thread, but this one really needs a bump, I believe. So, I'm jumping over here

Oh, btw, Will: get on XBox Live one of these days, and we'll have a game of hockey!

I need to set up XBox Live one of these days. I'm afraid that if I do, I'll never see the outside of this house.

Gamestop really stuck it in and broke it off today. I came home and was all set to head back out again, stopping at Gamestop along the way, but then I checked my messages. They called to tell me that GEARS OF WAR hasn't arrived yet due to dilivery problems, sorry for my convenience and to please call my the store where I pre-ordered the game before heading out to pick it up. Motherbitches. :mad:

It's not that bad really, I was just miffed. They're lucky I'm ass deep into SPLINTER CELL: DOUBLE AGENT or there might've been hell to pay.

Has anyone played F.E.A.R.?

On the PS2 front, BULLY is a load of fun.

William R.
11-10-2006, 09:45 PM
FUCK THE WORLD!
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/1530/gearsofwar2006110703494aa7.jpg

Paul A J Lewis
11-12-2006, 08:35 AM
It's not that bad really, I was just miffed. They're lucky I'm ass deep into SPLINTER CELL: DOUBLE AGENT or there might've been hell to pay.
I'm really enjoying the new SPLINTER CELL, but sadly it seems far too short for me: it arrived on Friday afternoon, but I'm already on the third-from-last mission.

It's fantastic: I'm really having a blast with this game, which was retitled CANIS CANEM EDIT for release in the UK--I guess this was due to concerns that the game's title might glamourise bullying.

Cheers,
Paul

colinr
11-12-2006, 08:41 AM
hopefully it will be better than the good, but rather dissapointing TOMB RAIDER: LEGEND, that was easy like hell to beat and very, very short.

I wondered why I was able to finish it. I'm usually terrible at computer games but found the Tomb Raider series one of the few I could complete!

William R.
11-12-2006, 09:21 AM
I'm really enjoying the new SPLINTER CELL, but sadly it seems far too short for me: it arrived on Friday afternoon, but I'm already on the third-from-last mission.

That's a bit of a bummer. I heard the same thing on another board where someone made the comment that the game should've probably been a bit cheaper due to the length and the sub-par multi-player (I haven't played LIVE so I don't know how it is). I've really enjoyed what I've gone through so far. I might have to grab RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS when it comes out to make up for the short Fisher game (the visuals in that game are going to be nuts), however I think I might get more mileage out of SPLINTER CELL considering that I put it on hold as soon as I got GEARS OF WAR. I can't express how ultimately bad ass that game is, it doesn't hurt that it looks amazing. Probably the best looking game I've ever played.

Paul A J Lewis
11-12-2006, 09:49 AM
That's a bit of a bummer. I heard the same thing on another board where someone made the comment that the game should've probably been a bit cheaper due to the length and the sub-par multi-player (I haven't played LIVE so I don't know how it is).
I don't have LIVE either, Will; I need to get broadband first.

However, in the new SPLINTER CELL game although the single player is pretty short, there seem to be multiple routes through the levels and a number of different endings, together with a hidden final level; I think it's probably a game that I'll replay once I've competed it.

The new RAINBOW SIX looks great: I didn't buy LOCKDOWN because I heard so many bad things about it, but VEGAS looks as if it'll be fantastic.

I might get more mileage out of SPLINTER CELL considering that I put it on hold as soon as I got GEARS OF WAR. I can't express how ultimately bad ass that game is, it doesn't hurt that it looks amazing. Probably the best looking game I've ever played.
Here in the UK, we've got a week or two before GEARS OF WAR is released. That's another must-buy for me.

Cheers,
Paul

Jesper Maintz
11-12-2006, 11:40 AM
I havent played anything since I discovered the criminally underrated KYA: DARK LINEAGE - now THAT was a funny game. And Im taking a break from my time-consuming 100 percent completion of SAN ANDREAS, just to make the game last longer...

Jesper Maintz
11-12-2006, 04:51 PM
By the way, Will - did you ever get around to play SILENT HILL: THE ROOM?

Zane C.
11-12-2006, 05:16 PM
I bought THE SOPRANOS: ROAD TO RESPECT, and while I totally dug the Sopranos feel (which they captured wonderfully), I finished the game in about 5 hours, which was a disappointment. It's no GTA: SA, that's for sure. It's fun while it lasts, and the voice work (from the cast themselves) is great, as are the graphics (for PS2), but I would rent this one first, as most folks will be able to finish it with a rental. It's not a difficult game by any means, but not a purchase at full price - get it used if you must. This should have been a budget title. Considering I spent $48 on this thing, I'm kinda choked. It's great to have a Sopranos game, but it's just waaaaayyyy too short. If they do a sequel, they may want to make it more GTA-ish, and free roaming.

The soundtrack is great (picture Motley Crue playing at the Bada Bing), though, as is the representation of the Bada Bing itself, amongst other things. :D There's also no shortage of colorful language in the game, and the fact that you get to play in the SOPRANOS world is cool. If you're a fan, rent it, but don't buy.

Zane C.
11-12-2006, 05:22 PM
I was going to respond in that 360 recommendation thread, but this one really needs a bump, I believe. So, I'm jumping over here

I need to set up XBox Live one of these days. I'm afraid that if I do, I'll never see the outside of this house.

Gamestop really stuck it in and broke it off today. I came home and was all set to head back out again, stopping at Gamestop along the way, but then I checked my messages. They called to tell me that GEARS OF WAR hasn't arrived yet due to dilivery problems, sorry for my convenience and to please call my the store where I pre-ordered the game before heading out to pick it up. Motherbitches. :mad:

Has anyone played F.E.A.R.?

GEARS OF WAR looks like a definite for me - I've read great things about it, and it is supposed to be one of the best games on 360. F.E.A.R. looks damn good as well, and I'll be picking it up down the line, I think.

PS2 continues to surprise me; I want to try BULLY, and also I will buy GUITAR HERO II - the first one is awesome. I'm also working my way trhough SCARFACE right now also.

My favorite game right now, though, is MORROWIND: OBLIVION for the 360, though. It looks amazing, and is a ton of fun - I'll be playing it for a while, as it's not a short game.A definite purchase if you like First Person RPG's.

Anyone tried CALL OF DUTY 3 yet?

William R.
11-12-2006, 05:49 PM
By the way, Will - did you ever get around to play SILENT HILL: THE ROOM?

I keep trying to find it used in stores, but no luck yet. I look everytime I'm in there. I got the dude at EB Games vowing to hold it for me and call me if someone ever trades it in. I can't find it new for the PS2 for some reason and I don't order used video games off the internet (a phobia).

Zane, I'd hold out and wait for the Guitar Hero II to drop on the 360. There will be more available for it than the current gen consoles from what I was just reading, plus you have the ability to get a hold of songs from LIVE that will get released after the games are out which is pretty nifty. That is, if you can, it's not a game that relies on next gen's capabilities, so if you're addicted you might just want to snag the current version.

Jeff D.
11-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on the new SEGA GENESIS CLASSICS game compilation? Ive kinda been getting my retro game fix with these compilations. Really Enjoy the capcom comp as well as the newest namco arcade collection with Rampage world tour,Mortal Kombat etc.

Jeremy C.
11-12-2006, 08:49 PM
I can give you every genesis, as well as every other cartridge-based game ever made absolutely free.

William R.
11-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Roms? Or are you just hording a massive collection of shit you want to get rid of? :D

Jeff D.
11-13-2006, 12:41 AM
I can give you every genesis, as well as every other cartridge-based game ever made absolutely free.
Preciate it but Im already like the crazy cat lady with stuff

Paul A J Lewis
11-13-2006, 07:40 AM
Anyone tried CALL OF DUTY 3 yet?
I got hold of it on Saturday and played it for a while. It was pretty good: as with most games these days, there seemed to be more than one route to each objective. The graphics and the sound are spectacular. However, I've put the game to one side, for when I've completed SPLINTER CELL: DOUBLE AGENT.

Cheers,
Paul

Jari K
11-17-2006, 10:34 AM
GEARS OF WAR looks like a definite for me - I've read great things about it, and it is supposed to be one of the best games on 360. F.E.A.R. looks damn good as well, and I'll be picking it up down the line, I think.

Man, the XBox TV-commercial of that game looked great, I mean not just the game but how they did it and that song.. Best game-commercial I have ever seen. Simple, but very effective.

Check it out:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6106851772045741456

"Call Of Duty 3" is a must also.

William R.
11-17-2006, 10:39 AM
GEARS is a fantastic game.

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/3585/gow05screen3in1.jpg

Zane C.
11-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Bought GEARS, and I'm stoked to have gotten it. Looks absolutely awesome. This is the kind of game I bought a 360 for! :D

Paul A J Lewis
11-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Just completed CALL OF DUTY 3. I loved it: it's less on-the-rails than the previous entries into the series and has some wonderful setpieces. The cutscenes are well-written and well-acted, and the music is exemplary. Wonderful game!

Now I've completed DUTY, I'm going to pop to the shops and buy GEARS either tomorrow or Monday: it's just been released in the UK.

Paul A J Lewis
11-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Btw, I've got a quick query.

Having just completed CALL OF DUTY 3, I've been thinking about buying CALL OF DUTY 2 for the 360. I completed CALL OF DUTY 2: THE BIG RED ONE on my old XBox last year, but COD 2: BRO is a completely different beast from the CALL OF DUTY 2 game released on the 360.

Has anyone played both COD 2 and COD 2: BRO? Having completed BRO, would it be worth my time acquiring COD 2 for the 360? Are the two games sufficiently different to justify a purchase of COD 2 for the 360?

Cheers,
Paul

Jesper Maintz
11-19-2006, 03:27 AM
A question for Paul: I noticed that the FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE PS2 game was really cheap these days ($22) - is it worth it, and how long did it take you to complete it?

Paul A J Lewis
11-20-2006, 11:04 AM
A question for Paul: I noticed that the FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE PS2 game was really cheap these days ($22) - is it worth it, and how long did it take you to complete it?
Didn't take me long to complete it. However, I loved the game. Have you played EVERYTHING OR NOTHING, Jesper? It has very similar gameplay mechanics.

To be honest, it's the best Bond game since GOLDENEYE, imo.

Cheers,
Paul

Jesper Maintz
11-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Thank you, Paul - Ill pick it up as a welcome break from San Andreas. I havent played EVERYTHING OR NOTHING, though - and I dont even think I have seen it anywhere. Is it good or bad?

And btw, have anybody played a game for the PS2 called BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL? I have it in my possesion right now, but I havent tried it yet...

Paul A J Lewis
11-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Thank you, Paul - Ill pick it up as a welcome break from San Andreas. I havent played EVERYTHING OR NOTHING, though - and I dont even think I have seen it anywhere. Is it good or bad?
It's okay. It revolutionised the Bond games to some extent, drawing them away from the first-person shooter genre. However, it's not a great game. It's not as good as FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE because, well, it's not FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE: playing a game as the Bond of the Connery years is a real thrill.

But if you like FRWL, it'd be worth your time tracking down EON, as they're similar games; but whereas FRWL is set in the classic Connery-Bond years, EON uses as its basis the Brosnan-Bond years. It would have been nice to see EA develop more games in this series, perhaps using LIVE AND LET DIE as the basis for a Moore-Bond game.

Cheers,
Paul

Richard C
11-27-2006, 10:54 AM
I've just picked up a new X-Box for £50 plus 4 games (including Halo 2) to give me something to do over the Xmas holidays (I'm actually putting it away until then - sad I know given the X-Box 360 is out...). To save me from trawling through this thread could someone give me 5 essential games I should have.

Cheers

William R.
11-27-2006, 04:53 PM
To save me from trawling through this thread could someone give me 5 essential games I should have.

Five faves for me (eliminating sports titles):

CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: ESCAPE FROM BUTCHER BAY (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/chroniclesofriddick/review.html?sid=6099643)
NINJA GAIDEN: BLACK (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/ninjagaidenblack/review.html?sid=6134001)
PRINCE OF PERSIA: THE SANDS OF TIME (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/princeofpersiathesot/review.html?sid=6081687)
ODDWORLD: STRANGER'S WRATH (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/adventure/oddworldtentativetitle/review.html?sid=6116993)
THE WARRIORS (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/thewarriors/review.html?sid=6136247)

Richard C
11-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Five faves for me (eliminating sports titles):

CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: ESCAPE FROM BUTCHER BAY (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/chroniclesofriddick/review.html?sid=6099643)
NINJA GAIDEN: BLACK (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/ninjagaidenblack/review.html?sid=6134001)
PRINCE OF PERSIA: THE SANDS OF TIME (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/princeofpersiathesot/review.html?sid=6081687)
ODDWORLD: STRANGER'S WRATH (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/adventure/oddworldtentativetitle/review.html?sid=6116993)
THE WARRIORS (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/thewarriors/review.html?sid=6136247)
Cheers Will (I should have just PM'd you directly given your gaming knowledge ;) )

Wostry Ferenc
11-28-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm playing Scarface on XBOX right now, I like it more then I ever did Vice City. And I just got Call of Duty 3, also XBOX.

Paul A J Lewis
11-28-2006, 06:03 PM
I've just picked up a new X-Box for £50 plus 4 games (including Halo 2) to give me something to do over the Xmas holidays (I'm actually putting it away until then - sad I know given the X-Box 360 is out...). To save me from trawling through this thread could someone give me 5 essential games I should have.

Cheers
I like the Hitman games (especially the most recent, HITMAN: BLOOD MONEY), but I guess they're an acquired taste.

I'd recommend:
SPLINTER CELL: CHAOS THEORY
NINJA GAIDEN
PRINCE OF PERSIA: SANDS OF TIME
THIEF: DEADLY SHADOWS
and for a bit of smashing-things-up fun, THE INCREDIBLE HULK: ULTIMATE DESTRUCTION

If you know you'll be getting new underwear in your Christmas stocking, I'd also recommend PROJECT ZERO (or FATAL FRAME, as it's known in just about every other country in the world). Scary stuff :eek:

Cheers,
Paul

Patrick B.
01-01-2007, 06:29 PM
My consoles:

Psone
Ps2
Nintendo
Super Nintendo
N64
Gamecube
Xbox 360

Some of my favourite games:

Final Fantasy X
Resident Evil 4
Mario (NES)
Megaman 2 (NES)
Battletoads (NES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
TMNT 4: Turtles in Time
Shadow of the Colossus
God of War
Warcraft 1-3
Duke Nukem
Quake
Dead Rising
Gears Of War

I am currently playing Gears of War and Dead Rising on Xbox 360, and I am amazed at the graphics and the gameplay on GOW. Good to see that console games are improving :) And im looking forward to Assasins Creed. It's gonna kick ass.

Dave D.
01-01-2007, 06:38 PM
The original TMNT for the NES is really hard!

My favourite is definitely TMNT 4: Turtles in Time.

And yes, William, the Warriors rocks; I'm especially excited to check out the PSP version coming out.

Patrick B.
01-01-2007, 06:42 PM
The original TMNT for the NES is really hard!

My favourite is definitely TMNT 4: Turtles in Time.

I would probably struggle trough it now, but as a kid it was easy.

Turtles in Time. Wow! I can't even remember how many times I have played that game. Forgot about that one.

Wostry Ferenc
02-19-2007, 02:10 PM
I just bought Call of Duty 3 for the Xbox (don't have money for xbox 360 yet, but I'll buy one for sure later this year) and Freedom Fighters which is a year or two old game. Opinions about these?

Paul A J Lewis
02-19-2007, 03:26 PM
I just bought Call of Duty 3 for the Xbox (don't have money for xbox 360 yet, but I'll buy one for sure later this year) and Freedom Fighters which is a year or two old game. Opinions about these?
I love 'em both. FREEDOM FIGHTERS is far too short, but the gameplay is great and the Jesper Kyd soundtrack is phenomenal!

CALL OF DUTY 3 is the best in that particular series of videogames imo. However, I played the 360 version; I've no idea if the XBox version is any different--I know there were some drastic differences between the XBox and the XBox 360 versions of CALL OF DUTY 2.

Wostry Ferenc
02-20-2007, 02:42 AM
I'm pissed (and not in the british sense, I'm not drunk). Turns out the COD3 I bought is the german language version, and everybody in the game speaks german, even the allies! I speak german, that wouldn't be a problem, but it kills the mood when Lt. Sergeant Joe Hotdog starts to shout "Los, töten wir den deutsche schweine!" Ugh... I want my money back.

Mike Brown
02-20-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm stuck at the flight school and it's pissing me off.

Ah, so it wasn't as easy as all that after all? :D

Mike Brown
02-20-2007, 11:50 AM
I'd love to get my womern interested in gaming. She has little interest in playing, but she does like to watch me and be a 'backseat driver' at times. I ask her if she wants to give it a shot, and she says no. She did show a little interest in the Nintendo collection I got awhile back. She played Breakout a few times.

At least she's okay with me spending time on the games, but I get to feeling a little guilty at times. I've got weeks of time invested in GTA: San Andreas alone. We were joking that if she were to play it, she'd probably be stopping for red lights and shit. :D

Jesper Maintz
03-12-2007, 09:30 AM
So - I can see Im not the only SAN ANDREAS maniac in here - one question to those of you who have played the game: Have any of you completed all 4 rounds in the Ammunation Challenge? I just cant get past the fourth round and it drives me insane!!!

Any tips/tricks - even cheats - would be appreciated! :)

William R.
03-12-2007, 04:59 PM
So - I can see Im not the only SAN ANDREAS maniac in here - one question to those of you who have played the game: Have any of you completed all 4 rounds in the Ammunation Challenge? I just cant get past the fourth round and it drives me insane!!!

Any tips/tricks - even cheats - would be appreciated! :)

The 4th is the AK-47, right? I don't remember this one giving me that much of a headache, it took a few tries, but I don't remember any real tricks. Take a look at this, maybe it will help:

AK-47
The final challenge is the AK-47. Much like the Micro SMG, this is a bit easier with hitman already, although it's not too hard anyway, just keep shooting at the targets, the aim and zoom is good enough to allow you to aim accurately.

Round 1
Take it easy and aim carefully. I'd advise spraying the bullets and trying to aim for the targets while they're shooting, but tapping L1 will also work if you can aim well enough.

Round 2
This time the targets will move towards you, so you'll need to constantly change your aiming to be sure of hitting them. Try to take out as many as you can while it's further back as it becomes easier to hit them while they're close, but that's easier for everyone, not just you. You might want to spray your bullets for this one, and once you clear a target, keep firing so you can reload your gun for the next target. This isn't really too hard to just keep shooting and you should win.

Round 3
Round 3 will require you to spray your bullets at any targets left by the cpu players. I'd suggest aiming for the bottom two first, then head up and go for the ones they didn't get. Keep firing, and it should be too difficult to hit more targets than they get.

Jesper Maintz
03-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Thanks Will! Ill give it a try tomorrow - the problem with that challenge is, that the shotgun round gets really hard in round 3 and the AK-47 gets really hard in round 3 - and every time you fail you have to start all over again, making it very frustrating and annoying to complete.

But I have to. :D

Jesper Maintz
03-13-2007, 09:33 AM
And DAMN, now I cant even make it through the Shotgun round! Man, I hope they correct missions like this for GTA 4...

Ian Jane
03-21-2007, 01:22 PM
I've been hooked on Bully for about a week now. I got it for Christmas, forgot I had it, then found it underneath a pile of other PS2 games when my wife was out bowling one night. I put it in and have played it for at least an hour every day since, I'm about 30% through the game now. It's pretty fun. It's definitely different and I like that fact that you have to try to outwit the school prefects and not get caught skipping class or running around without your uniform on. It adds a bit of depth to it and makes things more challenging.

Mike Brown
03-21-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm working my way through Resident Evil 4 now. It's a lot of fun, I just hate the fact that you can't run. Walking is too damn slow!

Paul A J Lewis
03-21-2007, 05:14 PM
I've been hooked on Bully for about a week now. I got it for Christmas, forgot I had it, then found it underneath a pile of other PS2 games when my wife was out bowling one night. I put it in and have played it for at least an hour every day since, I'm about 30% through the game now. It's pretty fun. It's definitely different and I like that fact that you have to try to outwit the school prefects and not get caught skipping class or running around without your uniform on. It adds a bit of depth to it and makes things more challenging.
I love BULLY, although here in the UK the title was changed to CANIS CANEM EDIT; I guess they thought that BULLY might attract the wrong kind of audience--they probably thought that only English kids with a classical education might be attracted to a game with a Latin title :D

William R.
03-21-2007, 05:22 PM
I love BULLY, although here in the UK the title was changed to CANIS CANEM EDIT; I guess they thought that BULLY might attract the wrong kind of audience--they probably thought that only English kids with a classical education might be attracted to a game with a Latin title :D

Somehow I figured DOG EAT DOG was more intense than naming the game BULLY, but I suppose by using Latin it's completely overlooked.

Isn't the original proverb different? "Dogs do not eat dogs" or something.

Paul A J Lewis
03-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Somehow I figured DOG EAT DOG was more intense than naming the game BULLY, but I suppose by using Latin it's completely overlooked.
The meaning is probably lost to most British video game buyers, as Latin hasn't been widely taught at secondary schools for maybe thirty years.

It's a more clever title, I think; but at the same time, I reckon the title change was made solely because Rockstar was expecting a lot of flak from anti-video game campaigners, and the game (under its 'Bully' title) had already received a massive amount of negative press attention. Releasing it under the title DOG EAT DOG allowed it to slip under the radar of Mediawatch and all the other pro-censorship pressure groups.

Either way, it's a fantastic game :D